What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was surprised that the 76 chicks that arrived are all alive and well. Long travels for chicks. Heat lamps and apple cider vinegar in their water this morning after getting them home. Another 25 arriving in another week. Got takeout from the local Amish restaurant and peanut butter chocolate pie for husband's bday dinner. He was not feeling good enough to go out, and just as well as the place was crowded. Tomorrow night we will host some cousins and the neighbors for hamburgers to celebrate again. Got the new dehumidifier running, and will see how it works, then moving it to the basement. Did an Aldi store run, but mostly for things tomorrow. Kids are busy playing musical chairs with the bedrooms upstairs, so there's a mess everywhere. No more boxes brought in till things are cleaned up.

Feet have been up most of the day.
Had a small visitor(3 ft tall) come by today.
Might have been 4 days since I seen her.
She just wanted to snuggle with Granny.
Course we had to eat noodle, have a popsicle,snuggle.
Before Granny could get back into her car seat to go to her dad's house.
He texted me, sent picture of her holding my little red battery latern sound a asleep.

1596292175771.png

Been up and at it for a while , sitting and watching it rain.
We're getting lots of rain every day or two.

Got more maters yesterday.
We are making our last batches of sauce today.
Will have 90 pints after today. Of course the kids will get most of it.

May take the wife for a Bubba Burger for lunch.
Then finish canning.

Peas are really producing with all the rain.

All my life , I've never seen the yard, fields, pastures so green in August. Usually brown and dried up.
We are mowing every 4-5 days.
Normally we mow 2- 3 times all of July and August.

Working on starting another little contest for the forum when I get time.

Jim

Been up and at it for a while , sitting and watching it rain.
We're getting lots of rain every day or two.

Got more maters yesterday.
We are making our last batches of sauce today.
Will have 90 pints after today. Of course the kids will get most of it.

May take the wife for a Bubba Burger for lunch.
Then finish canning.

Peas are really producing with all the rain.

All my life , I've never seen the yard, fields, pastures so green in August. Usually brown and dried up.
We are mowing every 4-5 days.
Normally we mow 2- 3 times all of July and August.

Working on starting another little contest for the forum when I get time.

Jim

90 pints! you two are really going at it.

Moving dogs outside can't take them in here anymore and the extra work they cause us. Vaxuum,mop guest bathroom whre they stay because of ones skin problem. This is a small house like we planned and wanted to retire in. But that means no room for dogs. So workign on place on porch that gets so hot we need to have some kind of cooling for the sick one.
So of course we have to disagree on how to do this, but closer to agreement now.

“Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!” I loaded some cows this morning. I haven’t done that in a while. This time my grtnephew’s cows didn’t get out. 3 cows from neighbors got out and then got in our pastures.

My cousin, who’s farm joins me to the west, had a cow and calf get out about a week ago. Her husband came by a couple days ago and found them here, said they’d be back this morning to get them.

Her first cousin had a young bull go missing about 10 days ago. His farm is back of me. He’d been by a couple times looking and found his bull yesterday. It was a pretty bull, a Brangus, go about 700lbs. 6 months away from breeding size but he should sire beautiful calves. My neighbor had bought the bull and a heifer the same size. The heifer stayed at her new home but the bull was gone that first night. He was sure glad to get him back.

Anyway, all the wayward cows here got loaded up and sent home. I actually enjoyed working cows again for a change. I’m usually chasing my grtnephew’s cows out of the highway at night, no fun.

Talked to daughter on phone and wedding is heading for the finish line this coming week. It has been a trial for all. Seems to be Chrisitians agaisnt Christains.
Grooms family insults our grandaughter her nutcase future SIL " see demons swarming around " her! So FB is having a family feud of evils. answer to that 'vision' is to sing praise and call them the enemy aka satan. I'm glad I'm in isolaion sometimes,too old for redneck knock down drag out weddings slinging Bible quotes and drinking wine.
Inlaws are sister ,mother and sister of the groom.Bless his heart he is in the middle of it. But he gets credit for trying to stay neutral except for defending his future bride. They think my grandaughter is a snob and spends too much money. She thinks they are crazy. I think both may be roght,lol.
Corona has caused 12 to cancel so far only 95 or so will be attending,who knows still a week to go.

“Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!” I loaded some cows this morning. I haven’t done that in a while. This time my grtnephew’s cows didn’t get out. 3 cows from neighbors got out and then got in our pastures.

My cousin, who’s farm joins me to the west, had a cow and calf get out about a week ago. Her husband came by a couple days ago and found them here, said they’d be back this morning to get them.

Her first cousin had a young bull go missing about 10 days ago. His farm is back of me. He’d been by a couple times looking and found his bull yesterday. It was a pretty bull, a Brangus, go about 700lbs. 6 months away from breeding size but he should sire beautiful calves. My neighbor had bought the bull and a heifer the same size. The heifer stayed at her new home but the bull was gone that first night. He was sure glad to get him back.

Anyway, all the wayward cows here got loaded up and sent home. I actually enjoyed working cows again for a change. I’m usually chasing my grtnephew’s cows out of the highway at night, no fun.
So what you’re really saying is that you have to be careful about how you talk about your neighbors because you’re related to most of them, eh?😂

Peanut that is neat except for the roaming ones that is. I can understand how you enjoyed working them again.

I've been working on fences. Found all the surveyors stakes on the new place. Now we have to work our way through the trees to find which trees are on our side and which aren't so we know what to cut out for the fence line. Spent yesterday and this morning setting T posts for the hot wires so we can start rotating the cows around the pastures.

This is Saturday #6 for me and I'm winding down for the week.

A power supply I had forever wasn't working. ON/OFF switch leads were broken off the power supply. Resolder the connections and ... still doesn't work. Went in the recycle bin.

Removed the old coaxial to Ethernet conversion box from my shop. Went in the recycle bin.

Collect eggs. Hens are over two years old and down to 3 or 4 eggs a day from their peak of 5 or 6 eggs a day. Before winter they will be recycled too.

I have the school room set up so we can start lessons on the 10th. My desk, craft dresser and odds and ends are not in there yet but the girls' work table, bookcase and supply shelf is there and in place.

I brushed the dogs' teeth today and prepped the cat carrier to take the kitten to get his vaccines tomorrow. After paying for a tooth extraction and dental cleaning on Winter I figure the pups deserve some dental care to reduce those bills. I do have a set of dental tools I use to try and remove the plaque off their back teeth if it looks bad. So far the doggy toothpaste and tartar treats are helping to remove the build up.

Still trying to purge the junk we don't need.

Talked to daughter on phone and wedding is heading for the finish line this coming week. It has been a trial for all. Seems to be Chrisitians agaisnt Christains.
Grooms family insults our grandaughter her nutcase future SIL " see demons swarming around " her! So FB is having a family feud of evils. answer to that 'vision' is to sing praise and call them the enemy aka satan. I'm glad I'm in isolaion sometimes,too old for redneck knock down drag out weddings slinging Bible quotes and drinking wine.
Inlaws are sister ,mother and sister of the groom.Bless his heart he is in the middle of it. But he gets credit for trying to stay neutral except for defending his future bride. They think my grandaughter is a snob and spends too much money. She thinks they are crazy. I think both may be roght,lol.
Corona has caused 12 to cancel so far only 95 or so will be attending,who knows still a week to go.

So far its the two sisters,her sister and hius sister are finally calming down some tonight. His sister started the insults but his parents are a little wascky too. Glad older folks are not into it.

Woke up at 2AM and opened up windows as it finally cooled down enough. Then woke up again about 4:15-4:30. Hubby had to leave at 4:45 and was sound asleep in his chair so woke him and drank coffee. Took a bunch of photos for my Etsy shoppe, finished a baby quilt (pix over in that thread) cleaned, blanched and froze 2 giant heads of cauliflower- have 4 more out there, mowed the lawn, 2 loads of laundry, did dishes, baked a batch of cookies, watered everything and am now sitting for a bit.

Woke up at 2AM and opened up windows as it finally cooled down enough. Then woke up again about 4:15-4:30. Hubby had to leave at 4:45 and was sound asleep in his chair so woke him and drank coffee. Took a bunch of photos for my Etsy shoppe, finished a baby quilt (pix over in that thread) cleaned, blanched and froze 2 giant heads of cauliflower- have 4 more out there, mowed the lawn, 2 loads of laundry, did dishes, baked a batch of cookies, watered everything and am now sitting for a bit.

My goodness LadyL you and others make me feel lazy. :thumbs:

What’s the name of your shop?

So far it has been a busy weekend. August is one of my favorite times of the year. I got my new hunting license and permits so that part is good to go. Yesterday, I finished hanging all my wall cabinets, including the over the stove microwave and exhaust fan. I was also able to move the range back into positon. It will be nice to get our kitchen back, after 2 months of no kitchen we are ready for it. I managed to get the small water leak unnder the sink fixed (It took way more time than I expected, just couldn't separate the old pipes) and installed the new frost-free faucet for the back of the house. I got the tile wet-saw ordered so I will be able to tile behind the counters. I was very happy when shopping this week, found most of the cleaning supplies we needed, I was also able to get in the last of the TP we needed to have our stores back up to snuff. It's funny, now everyone has an over abundance of hand-sanitizer on the shelves.

Mobookworm has lost her internet service , it may be broken for 5-10 days. :oops: :rolleyes:
So she is still very excited that her second grand daughter arrived into this world at 3:06 this morning.
drink buddy:clapping:
May I present to you ...
Little Miss Reign Michelle Creamer, weighing in at 8lbs 1 oz.

Happy happy Gramma again.

Congratulations

Last edited:
We decided to stay home from church today , because there's too many people testing positive for Rona in the county.

So we will be picking and shelling peas.. don't usually do that on Sunday , but it has been raining for 2 days , and the sun is back today.

Also will be canning the last batch of pasta sauce.
Glad that's over.

Happy for @MoBookworm1957 .

Jim

Working in the basement unpacking stuff today. Going to Sunday dinner at cousin's house. That's a standing order here. I'll bring the other choc cream pie we didn't get to last night. Laundry to do. Get the house back in order after the dinner we hosted last night. If husband feels ok enough, a ranger ride around the property today. It's only supposed to be 80 here today, and that's a nice day.

We decided to stay home from church today , because there's too many people testing positive for Rona in the county.

So we will be picking and shelling peas.. don't usually do that on Sunday , but it has been raining for 2 days , and the sun is back today.

Also will be canning the last batch of pasta sauce.
Glad that's over.

Happy for @MoBookworm1957 .

Jim
I was going to ask if it’s a meat sauce or not - just curious (if course 🙄).

They call canning "women 's" work !!! The reason why is that most men cannot last that long doing that kinda work, so they just ran away and labeled that way it in the hopes that no-one else would discover the truth.

I suspect your partially right. Long ago the men and older boys were working animals, putting up feed for the animals, or logging so the could build some thing needed. Women and younger kids typically took care of the house and garden, including produce preservation.
I help the wife with our canning if I'm not tied up with something else. I gotta say it not my favorite thing to do. But i sure enjoy the results. We've got our system while canning and it works pretty well for us.

Latest posts

Back