What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Anniversary to you both, Amish!

I went to doctor this morning for the trigger thumb and my sciatic nerve in right hip. Got oral steroids to treat both and if they do't work on thumb, then a shot. Stopped at Walmart next door and then to drugstore and home. Not doing much today beyond taking eBay photos. It's a rest day!!!!

With all due respect- the hay/alfalfa comment is a misnomer. I grew up on a ranch. Hay was fed only for a few months per year (depending on the year of course). The main source of forage was rocky desert unsuitable for any sort of crop production and no irritation. This is why you see folks with a goat or ox in third world counties. Also, you are only counting one side of the equation which is like only counting income and no debts or vice versa. Animals also give a good deal back to the land. ~just some food for thought.

If you do what we are currently doing and use rotational grazing it will add to the hay/feed savings. We have 22 acres and are dividing it into 15 sections so the land can recover and the manure can break down. We do feed a scoop (a lovely 3lb metal coffee can an Angel sent me!) of sweet feed every night to keep them coming to us when we call them but its not necessary.

If you do what we are currently doing and use rotational grazing it will add to the hay/feed savings. We have 22 acres and are dividing it into 15 sections so the land can recover and the manure can break down. We do feed a scoop (a lovely 3lb metal coffee can an Angel sent me!) of sweet feed every night to keep them coming to us when we call them but its not necessary.
Also, @Duncan Here is a pix of the land that cattle did well on. When I hear/read people stating that animals are "taking up" valuable land that could grow crops, I instantly know they are unaware of where many meat animals are being raised.
ranch.jpg

Also, @Duncan Here is a pix of the land that cattle did well on. When I hear/read people stating that animals are "taking up" valuable land that could grow crops, I instantly know they are unaware of where many meat animals are being raised.
View attachment 48278

That looks like the area I'm moving away from. Its all ranches out there and you ask how many acres per cow, not how many cows per acre. In our old area it is about 50 per cow/calf pair with vegetation humans can't eat.

Hospital. Just called, wife is out of surgery.
They were able to laser the stone, break it up and got most of it out.
Pnuemonia and colon infection, seems to be under control.
Hopefully we've turned the corner.

Thanks for y'all's concern and the prayers.

Jim

I'm so thankful that your wife is being taken care of so well! I know you will be glad when she is home!

Been productive of sorts today.
Strawberry has been walked several times.
She's had a flea and tick shower(no tub here).
She's been groomed.
Moved all the flowers off the bay window sill.
Took them outside.
Placed one of her sleep pads, I crocheted several years ago up on window sill.
Thinking , I was making her happy to be able to look out the window easier.
Nope, she's not happy at all.
While I'm walking back and forth to the kitchen making new pot of coffee, she removes her sleep pad from the window sill.
Drags it back into her kennel, remakes her bed, sits with her back to me for about 30 minutes.
Now she's sitting at the front door, I guess she's waiting on me to put the plants back too.
I'm thinking that window sill is her new hiding place from the oldest big little grand daughter.
That will have to wait till tomorrow morning.
Finally got 3 hours of sleep last night.
Was up at 0530, haven't been back to bed yet.
Got a few dishes to do up tonight.
Have to figure out something new for supper.
Still got my migraine, but at least I stopped puking with it.
Well Strawberry wants to go back outside to lay in the sun some more.

Last edited:
Hospital. Just called, wife is out of surgery.
Thanks for y'all's concern and the prayers.
Jim

Thinking of ya'll...

Years ago in the navy I had a buddy from west texas. He was so proud of the fact his family's ranch could run one cow per 17 acres, like that was a big accomplishment. Where I live in the south we ran 3 to 4 cows per acre. At the time I couldn't fathom why my friend was so proud... I just had no experience with dry plains out west. I've since known a lot of cattlemen from the west and now understand the concept of dozens of acres needed for one head, water is king!

Without millions of gallons of water crops won't grow but dry land will support livestock.

Couple more hrs and my day will be done.

Visiting the wife now.
Will go home and shower and go to bed in a bit.

Got everything done at home .
I was in here a couple months ago and now the wife has been 5 days and got a couple more to go ,we are tired of it .
View attachment 48220
Not fun.

Jim

They giving you a group discount?

I'll be on here sometime tomorrow.
Having some tests done at civilian hospital in the morning.
Going to be reading forums for a while then I'm going to bed.
Well maybe I'll get some sleep????
The drunks just passed the front of my place, loud, of course they're falling down drunk again or still.
So can't wait to move.

Mo hope you’re feeling better soon. Maybe if y get some sleep, that will help.
To all the love birds 💕 Happy Anniversary.
Jim, that’s great they are letting you visit. Last time I saw Dad was when we wheeled him into ER - have talked to him on the phone. Hopefully she’ll get to come home soon.

Well, work, working on our old house (which we are finally ready to put on the market), working on my mother’s place, working on my daughter’s new home, working on our place. And, occasionally, taking some photos and doing a little painting.

3FD11BF0-766A-4B76-8ABC-3D2D50A8AB0B.jpeg

A6E04633-E16A-4F21-95AA-15DF80BB9437.jpeg

684C74BF-65C6-4359-9AF1-46CA31821BC8.jpeg

56CB6865-C3F1-4A87-AA80-7250525EABC4.jpeg
151903E9-D177-4B65-8E96-E17E3413F51C.jpeg
E4741F15-0CF0-4400-A1AE-1F8C3C4D01E1.jpeg
14D79534-853F-42F5-BAA1-756DB2C27F60.jpeg
B060ACEC-2DE6-46FD-B6BE-191C5460B763.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I hit the ground running, dumped 5 gallons of old gas into the truck and topped off the tank with fresh fuel on the way to HD, at HD by 6 AM- got the trim boards and a tile wheel for my angle grinder, visited the grocery store - got some lunch meat - some chicken - fresh fruit - then I viered off course and got some pot-pies (It may be another week before the kitchen is fully operational and I am tired of soup for lunch). Got home, put everything away; took a break and logged on here: Now I need to install the trim around the kitchen window, put the level edge up for the tiling, cut the base row of tiles, and try to get productive before it gets to hot...

Back