What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Kidney Transplant Surgery went well, everything is functioning as it should and my labs are approaching normal. Heck, I already dropped about 15 pounds of fluid weight, though I do NOT recommend this as a path to weight loss... 🙄

Resting as comfortably as I can at home now, just taking things really slowly.
Congratulations!

Strawberry has been walked several times.
Laundry has been washed, dried,hung up, folded,and put away.
Dishes are washed, air dried, and put away for several days.
Well today's dishes are washed and air drying, not put away yet.
Been busy the last few days, haven't been online.
Been walking a bit more.
3 more weeks with the splint on my left forearm.

Last edited:
Washed, dried,hung up, folded,and put away.
Been walking a bi more.

MoBook hope the time with splint flys or rather it seems like it.

MoBook hope the time with splint flys or rather it seems like it.
Thanks, Meerkat.
It's already been 3 weeks.
Hopefully the surgeon won't decide it has to be on 8 weeks.
Broke a small bone in wrist, bad sprain too.
Normally being in a splint wouldn't bother me.
But I'm left handed.
It's just slowing me down a bit.
But I keep on pushing on.

Thanks, Meerkat.
It's already been 3 weeks.
Hopefully the surgeon won't decide it has to be on 8 weeks.
Broke a small bone in wrist, bad sprain too.
Normally being in a splint wouldn't bother me.
But I'm left handed.
It's just slowing me down a bit.
But I keep on pushing on.
I hope your arm heals up fast. Hard to get anything done when you have a break in your favored arm.

@MoBookworm1957. Glad you’re well. I was beginning to wonder.
@hiwall Dark walnut is my favorite 😇
& Hope Jim and Mrs are okay.
@SeventiesWreckers you must be out this way too. We had rain too - blessed rain! Just saw an awful pix - ash falling into rivers turns to lye and kills the fish ☹ Tons of them.
Got loads done today. I’m whooped 😴
Sweet dreams and a cheery morning 🙏

Sorry I haven't been very active last few days , it's just been hectic here .

Started mowing early todsy , about 1:30 friends showed up with burgers and fries for lunch. Great
They stayed about 2 hours.

The I went back to mowing.
Then about 4 o'clock , friends that bought my John Deere showed up to pick it up. They stayed to 10:30.
Wore wife out.
She is showing some improvement.

I hope it continues.

Going beddy by now.

Jim

6 hours in a Simulated Emergency Test for the local ARES group. EMP, grid collapse, along with a pandemic. We're screwed, but it was interesting to watch and think and see how things turned out.

https://www.eiscouncil.org/EarthEx.aspx

I got all three boxes of papers sorted and 90% shredded. I also sorted the rest of the file boxes. I have a pile of photos that need to be put away, sewing patterns that need to be put away and some files left to file away. I decided we need a locking file cabinet for the paperwork we are keeping. I want an oak one but finding a good one with keys that isn't an arm and a leg is hard. I have ideas for a back up but knowing it isn't hard to break into a metal one is preventing me from getting one at Staples.

I am not sure what I am going to do with some of the junk from the hall closet. I have 2 steel garment racks in there that I got as part of my kit when I was working. Owning your own and charging a kit fee is cheaper on a budget than renting racks when on a shoot. I have my professional steamer too so I think maybe selling them if I can find someone to buy them. This far from L.A. I might not have any luck. Maybe I'll donate them.

Found some of the paperwork I had put together before the move for a grab and go binder. Some is outdated but it makes it easier to know what I should update or get copies of. The evac totes should be here Monday and that will help when putting the closet back together. Right now I am in the gather and copy phase. Hopefully I can start putting it together this week.

Tomorrow Roo wants to help me make paper bricks. I might have to get a few more soak buckets set up if we don't get many bricks out of the one I have now. It will help with disposing of the papers I just shredded. :D

Washed, dried,hung up, folded,and put away.
Been walking a bit more.
Goodness gracious, Mo. I can't believe Strawberry was hung up, folded and put away. Washed and dried I understand. I hope she feels better soon. Kidding, I'm kidding.
I've been very busy today too. You haven't mentioned your splint much lately and still you do all your chores.
Every season I tell myself I'm moving to where it's cooler, like this in the summer, like this in the winter, etc. When will I learn?
Where is my place on earth?

Sparky, I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope you recover quickly.
Went home to check on pets. They destroyed the place. Dogs even dragged in garbage from outside somehow. Power came on while I was surveying the mess. Mom can't walk through that so I will take my stuff back 1st, clean up some, spend the night there and come back for her.

Attachments

• 20200919_130725_1.jpg
    20200919_130725_1.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200919_130725_8272.jpg
    20200919_130725_8272.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200919_130725_15267.jpg
    20200919_130725_15267.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200919_130725_29201.jpg
    20200919_130725_29201.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200919_130725_30945.jpg
    20200919_130725_30945.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200919_130725_35593.jpg
    20200919_130725_35593.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200919_130725_42726.jpg
    20200919_130725_42726.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200919_130725_49693.jpg
    20200919_130725_49693.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 61
Dog woke me up barking like crazy. Just saw two very fat raccoons in the kitchen. I think they may be the culprits responsible for my house looking ransacked. They opened drawers, rifled through the pantry, ate the instant grits, I think they ate the brown rice & quinua, and they might have been the ones who got my crackers & dragged the dog food bags all over. Not sure why the little trash pandas would bring outside trash inside though.

Dog woke me up barking like crazy. Just saw two very fat raccoons in the kitchen. I think they may be the culprits responsible for my house looking ransacked. They opened drawers, rifled through the pantry, ate the instant grits, I think they ate the brown rice & quinua, and they might have been the ones who got my crackers & dragged the dog food bags all over. Not sure why the little trash pandas would bring outside trash inside though.

Coon Lives Matter home invasion leaves Cats stunned.

@Grimm Paper stuff takes forever to sort! Sounds like you are making great progress. I went through tons of ours about 2 years ago and got it under control. It is never ending though 🥴. I still run across a file or short stack in some unexpected place now and then. Photos are another story all together. I’ve made progress but far from complete.
Anyhoo way to go! That’s a lot of work.
@zannej OMG naughty critters!

That is an incredible racoon mess, Zannej. Sorry you had to come back to that.
Will be working on some boxes this morning. Got the covered patio of the milkhouse cleaned out yesterday, and starting to set up my dutch oven equipment. Stuck a cement block, plank type shelf up to put my dutch ovens on. Now just need to find them in the big building full of boxes. Will be picking up mom after lunch, taking her to Braums for ice cream, then heading to the little zoo in town. Tonight will be at my cousin's for dinner, like usual.

@zannej , Too bad you can't make the raccoons clean up!

Today, will do video shortly, then feed dogs and then Church. Make sweet potato treats and cut up cheese for dog treats. Make big salad for myself and try to rest a bit. If it isn't raining, I might weed a little in Fall garden.

Sparky, I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope you recover quickly.
Went home to check on pets. They destroyed the place. Dogs even dragged in garbage from outside somehow. Power came on while I was surveying the mess. Mom can't walk through that so I will take my stuff back 1st, clean up some, spend the night there and come back for her.
Zanne just what you needed more work!:huh:

Jim, that’s good news!

I’m staying home this weekend which suits me fine. I’ve had so much to do and have been on the road a lot. That’s not difficult just tiring. I always find it amazing how sitting in a rig can make one so tired. Anymore having to watch out for texting drivers adds an extra quirk.
So yesterday I made a batch of crackers, vanilla icecream for hubby, pitas for freezer and pizzas for supper, mowed lawn, picked and pruned tomatoes (yet again) did a load of laundry, swept and mopped most of the floors, took lunch to hubby at shop, made a large batch of soap for laundry, vac sealed dehydrated onions, and roasted 3 large spaghetti squash and got them on dehydrator. Hubby got home and wanted to make his salsa so I helped chop - over 3 gallons worth! Did tons of dishes all day. Finished up after 8 last night.
Today, unmolded soap, pruned the lavender and cut back nightshade vines, cleaned flower beds, got hubby’s lunch ready and him off to work (14th day straight 😕) and am sitting for just a minute before heading out to work on cleaning smoke and dust in summer kitchen. We had a crazy dusty wind storm that blew the smoke in so everything is filthy.

Goodness gracious, Mo. I can't believe Strawberry was hung up, folded and put away. Washed and dried I understand. I hope she feels better soon. Kidding, I'm kidding.
I've been very busy today too. You haven't mentioned your splint much lately and still you do all your chores.
Every season I tell myself I'm moving to where it's cooler, like this in the summer, like this in the winter, etc. When will I learn?
Where is my place on earth?
I just caught on that I left off several words about the laundry.
Patchouli, your place on earth is the place that makes you the happiest.
Whether it's a actual place, a memory of a happier time in your life.
Or a new place. It's where ever you're the happiest.
Not saying you won't get blue, sad wherever that place may be in the future, now.
But everybody deserves to be happy and have that happy place.
As for the splint, it is what it is.
Shouldn't have fallen earlier.
My oldest son does some things for me.
And probably would do more if I let him.
But if I let people do for me all the time, might as well give up the ghost.
And I'm not ready to do that yet.
If I don't move, groove, walk, hike, 5 k's etc.
Might as well put me in wheel chair wheel me into corner to die.
Got too much life to live for that kind of crap.
Some day, I might end up in wheel chair, but I'll go kicking,fighting,screaming.
But not now.

Last edited:
Jim, that’s good news!

I’m staying home this weekend which suits me fine. I’ve had so much to do and have been on the road a lot. That’s not difficult just tiring. I always find it amazing how sitting in a rig can make one so tired. Anymore having to watch out for texting drivers adds an extra quirk.
So yesterday I made a batch of crackers, vanilla icecream for hubby, pitas for freezer and pizzas for supper, mowed lawn, picked and pruned tomatoes (yet again) did a load of laundry, swept and mopped most of the floors, took lunch to hubby at shop, made a large batch of soap for laundry, vac sealed dehydrated onions, and roasted 3 large spaghetti squash and got them on dehydrator. Hubby got home and wanted to make his salsa so I helped chop - over 3 gallons worth! Did tons of dishes all day. Finished up after 8 last night.
Today, unmolded soap, pruned the lavender and cut back nightshade vines, cleaned flower beds, got hubby’s lunch ready and him off to work (14th day straight 😕) and am sitting for just a minute before heading out to work on cleaning smoke and dust in summer kitchen. We had a crazy dusty wind storm that blew the smoke in so everything is filthy.

LadyL I'm about to have a bowl of vanilla ice cream right now with fig off our tree on top. Wishing things calm down for all of us soon. Take care.

Got most everything done this morning except Church and weeding. Just needed a little time. I did make Spiced apple rings and holy cow! that did not go well or fast! My apple peeler corer doesn't peel well, but it cores and slices ok. One of the jars broke in the water bath. It was just extra syrup. Having to peel by hand was no fun so I think I need to find something else to do with gifted apples. Already have lots of applesauce and apple butter. Might make apple pie filling next time.

Cooked earlier.
Thinking about supper but don't know what I want.
Might be peanut butter, tomato,onion sandwich with unsalted(no taste) chips.
Who knows certainly not me. Hmm.
Maybe the Shadow knows and he ain't telling.
OS and grand daughter was here this afternoon.
Seems my grand daughter is turning into a "Smurf".
Granny got off quite of bit of blue magic marker, but alas not all of it.
Granny has been chased several times with the little "Smurf" being that has my grand daughter's infectious giggle and her little plastic shopping cart. Weather has been pretty all day.

Cooked earlier.
Thinking about supper but don't know what I want.
Might be peanut butter, tomato,onion sandwich with unsalted(no taste) chips.
Who knows certainly not me. Hmm.
Maybe the Shadow knows and he ain't telling.
OS and grand daughter was here this afternoon.
Seems my grand daughter is turning into a "Smurf".
Granny got off quite of bit of blue magic marker, but alas not all of it.
Granny has been chased several times with the little "Smurf" being that has my grand daughter's infectious giggle and her little plastic shopping cart. Weather has been pretty all day.
Aside from the fact that that’s absolutely adorable, hairspray gets ink off (& out of clothes).
The Shadow Knows - The Coasters right?

Latest posts

Back