What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Periodontist said it may be time for me to get all of my teeth pulled and go with dentures. He wants me to get a second opinion from a dentist he recommended.

I am trying to look at the plus side.

No more dental procedures.

No ticking time bombs waiting to go off in my head.

My brother and a buddy has already got it done and they have no complaints. Just getting used to the idea.

Ben

Guy that brought out my order today (late I might add), apologized, and also said he has never seen it so busy and all bigger than usual orders.
Got that done.

Home X-ray came...waste of time. Girl didn't have a clue what she was doing.
They were very cloudy and too small.

We will be going to get a good upper spine x-ray as soon as she is up to it.

That's about it .
Cold again today.
But first time we've seen the sun in over a week.

Jim

Periodontist said it may be time for me to get all of my teeth pulled and go with dentures. He wants me to get a second opinion from a dentist he recommended.

I am trying to look at the plus side.

No more dental procedures.

No ticking time bombs waiting to go off in my head.

My brother and a buddy has already got it done and they have no complaints. Just getting used to the idea.

Ben

Just think if shtf no chance of a tooth ache which can be hell pulling it yourself.

My leg is getting stiff and sore as if I just landed on it! No swelling but I can tell if I don't nip this pain now I will have problems with it in the future. I limp slightly now too! I told K I am getting an exercise bike so I can keep it moving everyday outside of walking and general movement. My dad had his replaced a few years ago and he bikes to keep it loose. If I can avoid having mine replaced or any surgery on it I will do anything! Sad part is it is NOT the knee but the leg below it. Still an ugly yellow purple-y bruised mess!

I am really taking this household de-clutter and purge seriously. I added more kitchen clutter to the donate boxes. There are 4 big boxes now that need to go to Goodwill asap. The cabinets almost look bare where the coffee mugs and water bottles were. I decided to keep 2 bottles for each of the girls and K and I each have one big one each. As for mugs I kept a few that had sentimental value that we use and got rid of the rest.

https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/declutter-calendar-january.html
K got a little overtime this week. Nothing to write home about but still something. I might make another trip to the coin and stamp shop with that paycheck. ;)

Our grocery stores are not as hit as in other places in the country but K and I plan to head to Costco asap. We need to restock milk again (I swear the more we have the more K and the girls drink!) and I want to add more meat. I placed a pick up order at Target for frozen veggies for the morning and pasta sauce. I figure I could go first thing and get the girls breakfast burritos on the road. They think they are a treat.

I picked up one of those new fandangled TV antennas on Monday and a new ROKU box. Set up the antenna and I am amazed at the quality and clarity of the picture. There were several local stations that we weren't getting. The ROKU is phenomenal, it's like it opened another whole world I didn't know existed. The old unit didn't have the streaming capabilities this one does..

Snappy, you are so good about bringing food to people. It's not seen socially alot, and I love that. We do that where I live, too.
I think we're going to the Amish place for breakfast, if husband gets in the shower soon. I have an appointment to get my driver license late morning. And I have our certified marriage license in hand. Maybe the second time is a charm. They make appts for one person at a time, last one took us 2 months to get, and then I didn't have proof why my birth name is different than my current name, so they gave me another appt two months out. Crazy. I have a fed id from New Mexico, and they didn't ask for that but that was NM. And they give stuff to anybody.
Supposed to be sunny this afternoon, so if it is, I'll be sure and be outside doing some yard cleanup. After having covid, I'm an avid sun seeker. If it's out, then so am I.

Had a scare last night. Got run off the road by an idiot passing a semi truck on a two-lane rural state highway. I honestly think he had a death wish - he totally saw me before he eased out from behind the truck to get into my lane. Then he just stayed abreast of the truck, didn't try to speed up to pass or brake to get back behind the truck - he was just barreling down on me. I am so very fortunate that spot in the road was decent on the side - no ditch or sudden drop-off, just a harvested corn field - and I didn't hit anything or deploy the airbags. When I was getting the car turned around to ease back to the road, my headlights swept over a huge buck right at the road directly across from me, just watching me...

Homeschooling this morning (son is a senior, mostly works independently, but we do our joint work in the A.M.)

BYOL (bring your own lunch) with some other homeschool moms. We all ran a co-op for our kids over a dozen years ago - now those kids are married, lol. We get together a few times a year.

Make and can veggie stock

Work on paperwork (septic, etc.) regarding the house we're building at the farm

Clutter clearing. I'm right there with you, @Grimm. It's been an on-going project, but there's a lot to do. My husband is someone who doesn't get rid of anything, because it might be useful in the future. Which is frugal and practical - to a point. But we passed that point a long time ago. Then all four of our parents died within three years, and we ended up with way, way too much STUFF! More than ever I am feeling the need to live light.

@Grimm

Sure think you should get an x-ray.
May be more serious than you think.
May save you some headaches in later years.

Just as we knew , they called this morning , couldn't see anything on home exrays. Wasted time.

Now going thru all the phone calls to get an MRI done.

If you go to ER you get them in an hour, otherwise it's weeks.

Guess that's why they make pain pills.

Gonna be stuck for a while taking care of wife and house things.

Gotta bring in some more firewood.
This cold weather is eating firewood.

Y'all be careful, have a good day.

Jim

@Grimm I think Jim gives you some good advice about xray and hope its not serious.
Jim hope the wife gets the mri and soon.

I finally got 3 hours sleep this moring, first sleep I've had all week, heartburn has kept me up off and on every night.Been in a fog all week.
I could have got a full nights sleep but old dog pushed open bedroom door and threw up next to bed, she was trying to tell us she needed out. So had to get up clean up mess have an argument then finally go back to sleep at 5am got up around 8.Still feel better than I have been feeling.

@Meerkat ,
Wife has tried everything. She couldn't sleep at night.
Then my Doc friend told her to eat 1 banana along with this every night before bedtime.
IMG_20210113_101011902.jpg

It works great for her.

Jim

@Meerkat ,
Then my Doc friend told her to eat 1 banana along with this every night before bedtime.
View attachment 56802

It works great for her.

Jim

Thanks Jim will it a try when I get the Melatonin. It been a interesting week, first no sleep,then kee put me back on walker for a couple days but got that almost healed or healing with massage ,exercise. No heartburn last night just interference,lol. Still limp but can now put a little weight on it.

I’m really sorry to hear about your leg @Grimm. Definitely keep it moving.
Thanks for the declutter calendar! This is a great idea!

The calendar is part of a 365 day de-clutter challenge. So far I have gotten a lot of junk out of my kitchen. If I am questioning if I should get rid of something I run it past K. He just asks a few questions and I figure it out on my own from what he asks. I think the really hard part of de-cluttering is going to come when I have to go through my craft supplies and the school room.

Thanks Jim will it a try when I get the Melatonin. It been a interesting week, first no sleep,then kee put me back on walker for a couple days but got that almost healed or healing with massage ,exercise. No heartburn last night just interference,lol. Still limp but can now put a little weight on it.

CBD works for me, the kind you smoke ( gummies don't work)

It's pretty nice and sunny out today, but still freezing. The rate we are going through our wood we will be done with it by February
I am doing laundry and making Indian food

I think the really hard part of de-cluttering is going to come when I have to go through my craft supplies and the school room.
Ummmmmmmmm...........😱 I don’t know if I could do the craft supplies................ I did do that year before last with my fabric supply then needed most of the fabric I threw out for masks last year......... Had to use fabric I had for projects I was doing. I’m horrified at the thought of cutting back craft supplies. Nightmares I tell ya! Nightmares! 😜

Hoorah! Got my driver license and voter reg done today! Had a great breakfast at the amish place. Went to Loews and bought a bunch of peat and the stuff I need to go with that to mix my seed starter. Their seeds were out...didn't see any heirloom out, but a lot of the standard organics. I have a ton of seeds, but I like to refresh the lettuce seeds each year. Will need to pick up the little one from school pretty soon, a guy is here working on the siding to our add on. Twins going to bible study tonight. Enjoying my coffee while the old man cat sits on my lap.

Grimm, I hope your leg gets better soon.

I had more posts I wanted to reply to by memory but I forgot...

I'll have to tell my brother about the bananas with melatonin. He has trouble sleeping.

I used corn starch in a slurry to try to thicken the soup my brother made (to make it stew) but it didn't seem to work. Either not enough corn starch or I don't know what. LOL.

Today my brother took out one bag of trash. I replaced the bag and then filled it up again cleaning up spilled trash that he didn't bother to pick up. I'm going to do a bit more cleaning later but my back needed a rest.

Was going to visit my friend to work on his toekick & baseboards but he's away from home avoiding his ex. She got kicked out and is back on his couch. Her boyfriend stole her medicine & overdosed on it bc he was upset she wanted to get back with my friend. Then her bf's family kicked her out and threw all her stuff in the trash. Friend has given her 1 month max to get a job and move out. I think he's being too kind considering she was physically and emotionally abusive to him for years.

I'm currently serving as a butt-warmer for cats.

Sun is shining in the window and it feels nice. It's been very cold here.

@Meerkat ,
View attachment 56802

It works great for her.

Jim

DH eats a banana every night and found out that the greener the banana, the more it helps!

I used corn starch in a slurry to try to thicken the soup my brother made (to make it stew)

Maybe add mashed potato flakes?

Had to go to town for the bank and local grocery sales.
Stopped at thrift shops.
Went to get my hair cut at 1.
Then dropped off the dessert for friend.
Relaxing the rest of the day!

My brother got the Covid vaccine last night and is pain so he called off working on the house project. I worked to reset all of the tools and supplies.

20210113_135505.jpg

20210113_135543.jpg

Got the small room we called the dog's room cleared out.

20210113_145353.jpg

The kitchen, bath, and laundry room...

20210113_145416.jpg

is on the docket for tomorrow.

Ben

@Grimm & @goshengirl I too have done a ton of decluttering and still am. Gosh- Hubby's gpa and my gpa both passed within a year of each other and we each inherited a desk. At one point, we had 4 desks sitting in our living room trying to figure out what to do with it all 😂 It does get easier as you go - even with crafts and fabric. I probably donated 1/2 of my fabric and still have more than enough. Confession, I still have lots! I am getting to the point of "fine tuning" things. I've been going through a huge tote of pictures. Ugh! 25+ years worth. Also, going back through things I've gone through before. Amazingly, some things I just couldn't part with last time aren't making the cut this time. I don't stress over it too much. I just pull what I can and move on going room by room. I'll come back to that room. My last kitchen purge before we moved was huge. I'm still thinking there must be things I can get rid of so once the pictures are all dealt with, I will go back through the kitchen. Even if it's just a few things, it's that much less stuff for me to take care of or to be in my way. A big thing for me is curbing it before it comes into the house. This means telling people I don't want stuff which is not always easy but has helped tremendously.

I can't shut my brain down at night so I take 5mg every evening at 7:30 by 9:30 if I'm not in bed I'm asleep in my chair.

I can't shut my brain down at night so I take 5mg every evening at 7:30 by 9:30 if I'm not in bed I'm asleep in my chair.
It wasn't my brain this time,lol, it was my stomach,heartburn. I'd almost get to sleep then here comes the fire so I'd just it up and drink water, or a little baking soda.
It has happend off and on for 30 yr.s so nothing new but it still keeps me up most of the night.
I'm ok now though so guess it went its course. Not sure what kicks it off.:Thankyou: HashB for suggestion.

Back