What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@angie_nrs I think it depends on the state. Where I live you can file for unemployment, wait several months, try to check on status but they won't communicate. If the employer disputes your claim then unemployment automatically rejects your claim. They are supposed to allow you to appeal it, but the dirty creeps on my state flag it as "pending" so you can never appeal and they won't let you appeal unless you get a lawyer. They know most people can't afford a lawyer for it. This happened to my brother when he was wrongfully terminated (his boss fired him in retaliation for me filing a formal complaint against the boss). Six months after my brother's unemployment claim, he still was unable to appeal or resubmit. You don't get to talk to anyone on the phone- it's all automated. It's only supposed to take 2 weeks for them to handle a claim but it takes months & sometimes they never get around to people. My brother currently has a valid unemployment claim. He submitted a month ago but they haven't sent him anything.

@Grimm I may have to try something OTC bc the meds I'm on don't seem to be working. I still feel run down. I started a new allergy medicine and both times I took it (at night as per doctor recommendation) I was out almost all day afterward. Just completely exhausted. Not sure if it's the medicine or something else. I took my old allergy meds tonight. Taking my friend to the dentist tomorrow morning bc his tooth broke in half.

Lower back was bothering me again today. My brother is starting to get lower back pain and is finally seeing what it's like, but I don't think he has much empathy. He thinks he's "toughing it out" despite not picking up after himself or doing anything really. He got himself some food and left a mess for me to clean up & he thinks he's handling it better than I have. I've had back pain for years and some days its worse than others & I can barely move. Legs have been cramping too. I need more vitamins I think. Need to find some multi-vitamins again.

I fed the cats, made lunch, and then made dinner (after I had to clean up the huge mess my brother left for me). He had beef broth containers all over the counter and in the sink, hadn't rinsed the pan he used to cook, left splatter on the cooktop, and used one of my plates instead of his own (at least he put it in the sink but it wasn't rinsed).

In case you need a laugh- it snowed today! Yay! Finally! Anyhow, I had to make a run to drop off and pick up some metal today - in the snow. My hair goes somewhere near the middle of my back and I usually braid it or tie it back somehow. Today being cold and me knowing I would be unstrapping and strapping in the snow decided to leave it half down for warmth. I hauled the load and we got one load off and the other load on. All those pretty flakes melting into my clothes and my head. My leather gloves were slimy they were so drenched. As I was cranking one of the straps, the wind blew my hair into the retchet. That was a first 😂 All is well. I got it out undamaged. A cold but good day.

Glad you got your hair out @LadyLocust! Snow sounds nice actually but then it doesn’t snow here so.......

Ran all over the country today. Picked up some shirts for mom. Then picked up jar orders, lid orders and finally found the Ball blue book for under $10. Well my sister did actually. She’s a super deal finder. She scored some jars at several stores and found the book for me in stock. All I had to do was go pick them up and inspect them for damage once the orders were ready. She’s been trying since all the online orders have been damaged so far. I even got some little bitty 1/2 pint jars that were an unexpected find. Figured they might come in handy. Can’t believe all the comments from staff at the different stores about how hard this stuff is to find. Ya! I know!
Seems the whole family has been on the hunt. So my question is how do I know I have enough?! At this point I think the hunt may be an addiction for us 🤣 What is your “I got enough for the season”?
Got some meat out to make a test batch of meat sauce. Also got some beans out to can as well. Just a trial run. Still going to do the green bean trial also this weekend. Supposed to be raining (I’ll believe that when I see it) so it will be the perfect time.
I did finally get up the nerve to take the rings off the broth we did last week. Gave them the lift test while holding my breath and I’ll be darned!!! Victory!!!! I just can’t wait to lighten the freezer load and have more shelf stable items that are no longer store bought. It’s the little things anymore.
Finally got everything unloaded and put up. Time to feed the critters and sit down for a bit. Hoping the obnoxious neighbors are quiet tonight.

It's not just one season you are canning for...
It turns out that it is at least 2 seasons and will likely be three. I'll let you know when I get caught up... ;)

I had a nice week, got caught up on several things. We had a couple of sunny days, spent some time down at the sawmill. It was nice to get out, been cooped up inside for weeks.

I knocked a chore off the big list. I now have an improvised potato bin, they'll stay cool and dry. The bin is easy to access and clean. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, been staring at me for years.

The big dogs ear finally healed up, looks funny and won't ever point up again, poor dog.

The pup is officially an outside dog now. No more sleeping in the house except in extreme weather. He whined the first couple nights I left him outside but he's fine with it now.

Nothing planned for tomorrow but stay inside out of the rain. Typical Bama winter day, 38 degrees and raining.

Last edited:
I tried posting pics of my last dog only to have some obnoxious bigmouth spout garbage about it.

I rather gargle broken glass than give the window licker another chance to run his mouth.

Hey @Tank-Girl , the lord doesn't make ugly dogs, just people.
I find your stories of the shark dog quite endearing, but to be honest I'm glad she is your dog. I had one who ate a banana tree, the tree was over 6 feet tall and she ate it off at the ground, beavers aren't that efficient. Still miss that dog....

Yesterday the wife baked Banana Bread, by the time it came out of the oven she was falling asleep where ever she was. She woke up in the middle of the night because we were late changing her IV, we were just an hour late and there is usually a little extra in the bag so we were still okay.

Today, she is soooo tired it is almost funny, I hope she sleeps well for a couple of extra hours this morning. End state CHF is not funny, people lose their ability to do the things that they love... But people who endure it still striving to accomplish something are amazing to behold and inspiring to those of us who are fortunate enough to be healthy.

I want to thank you all, I feel like you are my friends and I can share things that I wouldn't say out loud.
I feel so blessed to have so many distractions to talk about. You are all wild and crazy "guys", sorry I don't know a PC word that is an all inclusive version of "Guys".

I hope everyone has a safe and healthy weekend.

Today, I will deliver most of the banana bread to neighbors and friends, you see my wife pushes herself to give to others; how inspiring is that....

Urban

I'm having to run all over creation today, too!
Thrift stores first.
Check about volunteering at local food pantry or kitchen.
Local grocery store for sales.
Office depot for legal forms--Thanks to whomever suggested it!
Dollar tree for frozen fruit.
Craft store for rock painting kit for a friend.
Couple of other miscellaneous stops.
When I get home: Dust and put all the rings for jars on big bungee cord that have been in a pillow case for the past couple of years. That will take a little time! Will leave some out, but the queen size pillow case is over half full.

Probably do a short video as it is a rainy day!

@angie_nrs I think it depends on the state. Where I live you can file for unemployment, wait several months, try to check on status but they won't communicate. If the employer disputes your claim then unemployment automatically rejects your claim. They are supposed to allow you to appeal it, but the dirty creeps on my state flag it as "pending" so you can never appeal and they won't let you appeal unless you get a lawyer. They know most people can't afford a lawyer for it. This happened to my brother when he was wrongfully terminated (his boss fired him in retaliation for me filing a formal complaint against the boss). Six months after my brother's unemployment claim, he still was unable to appeal or resubmit. You don't get to talk to anyone on the phone- it's all automated. It's only supposed to take 2 weeks for them to handle a claim but it takes months & sometimes they never get around to people. My brother currently has a valid unemployment claim. He submitted a month ago but they haven't sent him anything.

@Grimm I may have to try something OTC bc the meds I'm on don't seem to be working. I still feel run down. I started a new allergy medicine and both times I took it (at night as per doctor recommendation) I was out almost all day afterward. Just completely exhausted. Not sure if it's the medicine or something else. I took my old allergy meds tonight. Taking my friend to the dentist tomorrow morning bc his tooth broke in half.

Lower back was bothering me again today. My brother is starting to get lower back pain and is finally seeing what it's like, but I don't think he has much empathy. He thinks he's "toughing it out" despite not picking up after himself or doing anything really. He got himself some food and left a mess for me to clean up & he thinks he's handling it better than I have. I've had back pain for years and some days its worse than others & I can barely move. Legs have been cramping too. I need more vitamins I think. Need to find some multi-vitamins again.

I fed the cats, made lunch, and then made dinner (after I had to clean up the huge mess my brother left for me). He had beef broth containers all over the counter and in the sink, hadn't rinsed the pan he used to cook, left splatter on the cooktop, and used one of my plates instead of his own (at least he put it in the sink but it wasn't rinsed).

May want to try eating a banana a day to stop the leg cramps as lack of potassium will cause leg cramps,it worked great for us, and make sure the meds aren't causing more harm than good. Not saying stop meds just saying make sure the cure isn't worse than the illness.
Hope things get better for you.

Last edited:
In case you need a laugh- it snowed today! Yay! Finally! Anyhow, I had to make a run to drop off and pick up some metal today - in the snow. My hair goes somewhere near the middle of my back and I usually braid it or tie it back somehow. Today being cold and me knowing I would be unstrapping and strapping in the snow decided to leave it half down for warmth. I hauled the load and we got one load off and the other load on. All those pretty flakes melting into my clothes and my head. My leather gloves were slimy they were so drenched. As I was cranking one of the straps, the wind blew my hair into the retchet. That was a first 😂 All is well. I got it out undamaged. A cold but good day.

My hair was long like that last year but I cut it too much work washing it and keeping it pulled back in the summer it was too hot.

Hey @Tank-Girl , the lord doesn't make ugly dogs, just people.
I find your stories of the shark dog quite endearing, but to be honest I'm glad she is your dog. I had one who ate a banana tree, the tree was over 6 feet tall and she ate it off at the ground, beavers aren't that efficient. Still miss that dog....

Out old dog Alice would take all the plants in containers out of the pond at night. Every morning we'd get up to plants sitting up perfectly beside the pond. Guess she thought plants didn't belong in water.

Good song title " wind blowed my hair in the ratchet".

Well got all chores done.
Getting ready to make a Walmart pickup run.
Watching Andy and Barney.
Y'all are some busy folks.

Serviced the water softener yesterday.
Topped off the Golf cart batteries.
Cleaned all terminals.

Got my notice for new VA physical evaluation on March 18th.

Y'all stay warm and happy.

Jim

Woke up with a stress knot in my shoulder. I slept poorly after texting my dad most of the night about my mom. I still have not spoken to her or gotten a response to any of my texts from her. My dad has. She is still in the hospital but hopefully be sent home soon to rest. I spent the day trying to destress to get rid of the knot and it moved to the other shoulder after spending a few hours trying to reach my mom this evening. I really need some solid sleep. While I love Juju I can't have her hogging the bed again tonight.

We have a storm coming in. It is predicted we will get snow at the end of the weekend. The girls are excited. I am glad I saw it coming and had K cover the firewood racks with tarps. I can hear the rain hitting the tarps right now. We brought in a few days of wood so no one got wet or cold retrieving it.

The grocery store in town was looking a bit picked over today. The checkout lady made a comment that the line never stops and has gotten longer the past few days. I bit my tongue not wanting to out myself by sharing my opinion why. K hopes it is just because of the winter storm coming through this weekend.

Gas has gone up in price and K and I want to store more before the price gets too high.

@Firepolice271. And I have been busy but I did catch him lying down on the job.

20210122_133151.jpg

While cutting out the termite infested wood. He built a make shift platform over the cistern to allow us to to rebuild the back corner of the house. There were quite a few questionable moments while the house was teetering on jacks and we were deploying ratchet straps to keep to walls aligned with the foundation.

20210122_172432.jpg

In the end we had just short of 3/4 of the main perimeter beams installed. We should soon be turning the corner from subtle repairs to standard. carpentry work soon. Then it will be Katy bar the door walls and studs.

Making great progress!

Otherwise..

The Princess aunt may be failing. Cousin s are flying in. She is 94 and out lived all of her generation.

Similarly my periodontist is recommending pulling all of my teeth due to bone loss and switch to dentures. I welcome the notion because even donuts and pizza are painful..

The girls are here tonight and we are having a wonderful time. Finally got them to sleep.

We are blessed.

Ben

Y

So many little things to do today!
Dust
Sweep
Walk dogs and myself.
Take rock painting kit to my Doctor friend who has been sick.
Research some stuff on laptop.
Make a squash mix casserole from my canned pantry.
I'm sure there is more but not heavy lifting.

@Double R know how much you eat/use per year. From that point, you will know if you have enough for 1 yr 2 yrs etc and can make that decision. To figure out how much you use in a year, start by “tracking” for a month. How many jars/cans of green beans does your family eat per month. It’s a guestimate because when they are fresh, you probably eat fewer cans or more other in season produce, but it’s a good starting point.

Today I ran errands early, I found Home Depot has the same style wire shelves that I am using for my growing stations, but they are a little heavier, cost the same as the AMAZON ones.... I know where I will go if I need more shelving....

Did our grocery shopping, the frozen fish, bacon, and the ice cream that the wife likes were $40, still kept the bill at $100; and that is back filling everything we had used from food storage over a week and a half. Noticed that the meat department was still very thin, the beef is very thin and the cost is still way up compared to a year ago... Someone must think it is an ammo component ;)

I got home at 07:30 and it was just snowing as I unloaded the car, kinda nice....

Back