What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Spikedriver, I should have clarified-- the pipes under the house going up from the floor into my kitchen cabinet are what burst. I have the braided steel to connect from inside the cabinet, but I need to replace the lines that burst under the house. I was thinking PEX might be more durable than the PVC (which tends to get very brittle). I will have it wrapped in pipe insulation.

@Neb I am wanting to move over to PEX more because my PVC keeps getting brittle and breaking. PVC isn't even supposed to be used in water supply anymore, but I've found CPVC also gets brittle.

I was looking at my pictures of my pump layout and it doesn't look like my pressure tank is hooked up properly at all. It's not even the right sized tank. It's a rather small one and I think the drawdown on it is lower than it should be for my pump.

@Spikedriver, I should have clarified-- the pipes under the house going up from the floor into my kitchen cabinet are what burst. I have the braided steel to connect from inside the cabinet, but I need to replace the lines that burst under the house. I was thinking PEX might be more durable than the PVC (which tends to get very brittle). I will have it wrapped in pipe insulation.

@Neb I am wanting to move over to PEX more because my PVC keeps getting brittle and breaking. PVC isn't even supposed to be used in water supply anymore, but I've found CPVC also gets brittle.

I was looking at my pictures of my pump layout and it doesn't look like my pressure tank is hooked up properly at all. It's not even the right sized tank. It's a rather small one and I think the drawdown on it is lower than it should be for my pump.

Why no PVC in water lines?All ours are pvc.

Last edited:
I went to the dentist today.
I don't like dentists.
Front tooth is chipped.
They spent hours taking xrays and pictures.
I only need $7,799 worth of work done, and this is after insurance pays!
Beginning to find out why old people wear dentures :rolleyes:.
Natural teeth don't last forever. I shoulda taken the colon-cancer easy way out:(.

Get dentures. It's cheaper. I swear I will if I need a ton of work done again. I hate dentists.

Husband got his allergy shot today, then we went to eat Mexican Food (Kansas mexican food). It was passible. Went to the grade school to find out what to do there for the next few days. The secretary had a death in the family and needs to leave town for the next two days. Asked if I would step in. Too easy. 24 students, 6 teachers. I answer the phone, the door, let the fire martial do an inspection tomorrow, and I watch a child's glucose monitor. Just have to be in at 7:30 am. Looks like they did the trenching work from our add on to our electric pole today.

Paid my property taxes! Woo hoo!
I got my bill more than a month ago and immediately drove to the Credit Union to get a cashier's check for them, the only thing I currently pay by cashiers check. Credit Union was closed for a deep cleaning, which translates COVID infected employees. I knew and know to pay these things immediately. Well, I have been cleaning out lots of paperwork and could not find that stupid bill. It is due February 28 and I wanted it paid! So I was determined that I was going to search until I found it, and found it under a file of genealogy stuff.

Drove to CU and told the clerk I am probably the only person to do this. Nope, this is common for people to get cashier's checks for paying their taxes. Drove to the post office because I wanted to make sure that it arrived at its destination. I asked the clerk if there was a way to get a signature for an envelope addressed to a post office box. Yes! She told me that last year, they claim to have never gotten her check, even though they signed the back of it. So now she does what I am doing--cashier's check, certified mail with a signature required.

Picked up a bottle of L-Lysine this morning for immune system. No truck yet at hardware store so no propane tank either.
Came home and walked.
Walked dogs.

Sure seems like I've done more than that, but can't think of what it was.
Tomorrow, DH takes his friend for his court date. Will be a relief to get him there and maybe have that over!

After lunch I went to the vendor that is outfitting our calibration truck to inspect the work and make sure everything was done as requested. They did a great job with it. just a couple small things to finish off. I'll pick it up later this week.
Stopped and picked up some composted cow manure, got home and turned three of them into the 2nd raised bed. The planted my last batch of onions. Suppose to be dry and windy next few days, so I plan to plow up my lower gardens and start getting them ready. Gotta get a couple rows ready to plant taters in a couple weeks. Suppose to rain Friday thru Sunday, so gonna jump on it now. Rain will settle it out some and plowing will let it dry quicker.

@Firepolice271 moved on to the last room in the house removing the last of the bad floor. I did what I could to load the debris into the truck and pass him tools and wood.

20210222_164732.jpg

Floor joists should go in tomorrow.

Ben

Yesterday we had snow, sleet, freezing rain, then it warmed up to 34 and froze overnight.... Today it is to get up to 40s and tomorrow it is to be 60! Tomorrow I have some appointments in town so will be taking the whole day off, it's the wife's birthday so will be doing a special dinner for her.

@Neb I find it amazing how even your floor joists look, is there a trick to getting the hangers perfect?
I know last year when we remodeled the kitchen I found that a number of the joists were not even on the original floor...

DH is already on his way for taking friend to court.
Need to make DH some pudding.
I have to feed and let dogs out.
Go to Urgent care. (having an issue with a toe that is messing up my walking and you know I can't have that)! It was going to be a week and a half before I could get in to my primary care doc.
When I come home, I will pressure can some leftover dip.
Re-arrange laundry room so I can fit the small freezer in that I got for $25.
Walk (I hope)!

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Urban! What'll you be making for dinner, Urban?
Getting ready to deal with the animals and go to the grade school to play secretary this morning.

I have held back a couple of tenderloin steaks to be grilled with baked potato, possibly some fresh green beans, plan to have fresh salad out of the garden, and possibly shrimp cocktail. On Sunday, the son left her a strawberry cake to celebrate with.

@Neb I find it amazing how even your floor joists look, is there a trick to getting the hangers perfect?
I know last year when we remodeled the kitchen I found that a number of the joists were not even on the original floor...

We use an off-cut of the boards used for the joists as a gauge. We line up the top of the off-cut with beam. As I install the screws I keep checking the alignment to make sure the hanger didn't move.

@Firepolice271 also had deal with modern lumber and the true sized lumber that was used 100 or more years ago. A table saw and a planer was used to rip down oversized boards to match the old stuff. He also used a belt sander to get everything even.

Today we split up with him working on the floor in the last room.

20210223_164859.jpg

Meanwhile I installed blocking along the ceiling main beam that will support the edges of the drywall that will be installed on the ceiling.

Tomorrow will be more of the same.

Please note my brother started talking about the electrical service and walls this afternoon. That is a sign we are moving on to another phase soon!

Behave

Ben

Dishes done-check
Floors swept-check
Laundry washed dried and put away-check
Strawberry got to lay out in sun for couple hours-check
Walked a mile today-check
Cooked today-check
Floors steamed mopped-check
Bathroom cleaned-check
Left foot swollen from walk today- check
Apartment shuffle today x 2-check
Turned soil in 2 raised beds today-check
Still have to make coffee for morning
Nice looking family Hashbrown.

I added 2 WWII ration recipe booklets to my collection. These are on stretching meat when there is very little. I have a bunch I am keeping my eye on at the local antique store but I only buy when they go on sale. I know these will come in handy with the coming totalitarian wave.

I am making some switches in our pantry from convenient items to thrifty ones. Not a hard descision to make.
;)

Another one of THOSE DAYS !!! Another leak at apt. that ran into hours of work for us...and such a sad day for neighbor, who's beautiful dog was hit while we were outside at the meter..we thought a car wreck had occured...such a loud noise, but it was her dog in the middle of the road, screaming after the hit, it could not use it's legs...the driver immediately got out and ran to see what he could do for the dog, he got it out of the road, then I saw him go across to the lady that owns it...I do not what else has happened to it...if it made it...then I had to try to help hubby plumb...OH MY...laying on my back, under the sink, with a wonky looking tool trying to get the lines undone...took both of us...I wanted him to change the faucet, I felt there might be something wrong, but he is so stubborn..NO...so we ended up having to redo taking all the lines loose and putting on a new faucet...Katy's cat kept helping us by patting us with his paws...hubby lost a small part and I could not see it anywhere, so he left to get one...the cat was helping me look and that cat managed to slide that little part to me...we now have a plumbing assistant living down there...I do not know how many times I turned the water on and off, 4 hours work is a long time when you are just too old to even bend over or get down on your knees...had to use a big pillow for me...but hopefully, this will be the last of the leaks...neighbor's cat was shot...police are now involved, since Buddy was shot at as well when I was outside the other day...and our dog is in our yard...her cat was in her driveway..there are some mean ###**** people in this world..hubby told me when I complained about water running down into my face that it was part of the plumbing trade...🤬

Back