What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Staying home and staying in due to the weather and the snow amount. Some schools are not open today, some are on delayed start.

Family Search, the LDS genealogy site is having a virtual online conference now. I registered yesterday. Their site connects everyone who is related together. If someone else is related to my gg grandfather, they can contribute to his information. When I registered for the conference, it had a place to connect with related people, based on my family connections. There were 7 relatives referred to me, also registered for the conference, and I did not know any of them previously, because of how far back we go in our connections. That is a little fun.

Staying home and staying in due to the weather and the snow amount. Some schools are not open today, some are on delayed start.

Family Search, the LDS genealogy site is having a virtual online conference now. I registered yesterday. Their site connects everyone who is related together. If someone else is related to my gg grandfather, they can contribute to his information. When I registered for the conference, it had a place to connect with related people, based on my family connections. There were 7 relatives referred to me, also registered for the conference, and I did not know any of them previously, because of how far back we go in our connections. That is a little fun.

My wife spends HOURS doing genealogy and keeps getting help from unknown relatives :) Some people are a little lax with their documentation and that can drive her to distraction.... sometime they link the wrong people to the wrong family just because it's easy...... it takes a little work to do it right.

My wife spends HOURS doing genealogy and keeps getting help from unknown relatives :) Some people are a little lax with their documentation and that can drive her to distraction.... sometime they link the wrong people to the wrong family just because it's easy...... it takes a little work to do it right.
I have many hours doing genealogy as well, 100's, if not 1000's. It is one thing I can work on when I am house sitting. I, too, really dislike the lack of documentation that comes up. One of my cousin's wives has done extensive genealogy work, and not one piece of documentation. She sees something and writes it into a notebook. I asked her if she knew how to do snips of images? No! She claims to have seen family information back to the 1600s. The records are very, very difficult to read because of the script, being written in Latin, and written as a paragraph form, as opposed to being written in a table form as later records were done.

The Family Search information can be tricky. I have had people go in and change things. In one instance it was someone who was not related, but somehow found someone in the extended family and kept working all the links. The records she was working on are in the current Czechia, but previously Czech Republic, and when my family lived there, Bohemia. She was changing everyone's place of birth to Czechia. Nope! They were not born in Czechia. They were born and lived in Bohemia. She did a lot of damage and it really took me days to go back and change it. Other people want to change women's information to their married names. Nope! The link to the husband is all that is needed.

Saw surgeon yesterday.
Don't see him again for knees for 5 years.
Go next Friday get COVID test for surgery on left arm the 10th of March.
Will be a challenge to eat for several days as I am a "Lefty".
Strawberry has a nail appointment for a trim, so she doesn't scratch anyone anymore.
Her nail appointment is the 2nd of March at 5 pm.
My dad suggested TV dinners while I regroup from surgery.
Broke my hearing aid last night cleaning it.
Have repair appointment for it on the 5th of March at 0830.
But the good news of the day found a $$ in the back yard.

Last edited:
Saw surgeon yesterday.
Don't see him again for knees for 5 years.
Go next Friday get COVID test for surgery on left arm the 10th of March.
Will be a challenge to eat for several days as I am a "Lefty".
Strawberry has a nail appointment for a trim, so she doesn't scratch anyone anymore.
Her nail appointment is the 2nd of March at 5 pm.
My dad suggested TV dinners while I regroup from surgery.
Broke my hearing aid last night cleaning it.
Have repair appointment for it on the 5th of March at 0830.
But the good news of the day found a $$ in the back yard.
God only made a few perfect people, the rest He made right-handed.

Just got the supplies "Pulled" up the mountain. Was able to get it all in one medium size sled load.

Expecting six more cases of corned beef next week.

God only made a few perfect people, the rest He made right-handed.
Both @ThePrincess and I are left handed.

I got an e-mail telling more ductwork was available for pickup so I did so.

After the return home I took a nice walk around the garden/nursery. There about 2 dozen candidates for transplanting. Rose of Sharon to fill in some gaps in hedges. Elderberry are pointed at The Ridge but will require fencing to give it a chance to survive Bambi. Same for a pair of English Walnut trees. A few apple trees to replace other trees that Bambi girdled.

I spotted 3 preying mantis egg cases. They do a decent job and I haven't had to use any other pest control.

It was nice doing something different.

Behave

Ben

Literally spent hours downloading photos from phone this afternoon.
Will do more tomorrow.
Only about half done with what I downloaded today.
Will need to recharge battery on laptop.
Got a pot of navy beans going in the crock pot for supper.
Refilled beans, rice glass bail jars this morning.
Made snack mix,so glad I didn't follow directions on a friend's recipe.
She has 8 kids still at home.
Only made half a batch got 4 good size containers.
Chicken tenders in air fryer for supper.
Going to bake a whole chicken with herbed butter, cooked wine tomorrow.

Last edited:
No sleep bc Mom woke me up at 2:30am to ask me to go to post office (she meant later in the day) when she knew I had to get up early & was trying to sleep.
Got up early after giving up on sleep.
Got mail. Picked up friend.
Lowes shopping took over 2hrs trying to find stuff.
Back home & I had to crawl under the house to trace some waterlines back to source and run PEX. Got stuck a few times. Think I was under for an hour.
Got back out & friend went under. I fed PEX to him.
Water didn't work bc it seems there's a 2nd supply line. Didn't have time to finish it all bc we lost daylight.
Will go for round 3 on this water repair tomorrow morning.
Resting on a heating pad with cats on me.
Exhausted.

Oh my gosh, I won't even get started. My blood pressure won't like it...
Thankful that your wife & @Weedygarden are documenters - we need more people like that! lol

Oh my gosh, I won't even get started. My blood pressure won't like it...
Thankful that your wife & @Weedygarden are documenters - we need more people like that! lol
I now have 13 cousins signed into the RootsTech conference. I have only had contact with 2 of them before and we have a much closer relationship than the others. A few of the newly found are 5th cousins. Without our mutual research, we would never have made the connection. I am sending all of them messages to connect with them. Many of these relationships go back to the 1700's. It is from digging in old and difficult to read Czech records that the documentation has been made. Some of these cousins are from a German line, where research is even more difficult for me. There are professionally run Czech genealogy groups on FaceBook where the professionals have given me many breakthroughs in finding records, translating, and providing information.

One of my ggg grandfathers had a job 200 years ago of maintaining furnaces in an area where there was a religious center. Only recently did I come to understand that that meant buildings with the deep and open fireplaces, which burned in rooms of large buildings to provide heat. We see these fireplaces in movies representing life many years ago, but they were called furnaces.

I guess my wife is doing better , after 7 surgeries .
She is noticeably feeling more normal.
She just told me she's been tapering off the Percocet.
Tomorrow is her cut off day. YAY!
So, she wants me to take her for a hair cut appointment at 2pm, then go to the material,sewing store , 3 towns over, then DG to pickup b'day cards and finally go to our favorite restaurant to eat.

Dang , Ill be worn out.

Y'all stay happy.

Jim

Dishes are done-check
Strawberry has been outside several times-check
Strawberry seems to think she needs to go outside again.
But not for an hour, reading forums, eating lunch first.
Cleaned mail off table-check.
Took out trash-check.
Most of the dishes are put away-check.
Listening to the silence-check.
Will download another 3 hours of pictures from my phone to laptop-later
Making grocery list-out of fresh items,milk etc.
Refilled the refrig freezer from the chest freezer-check.
There is no more meat in chest freezer, it's all in the refrig. freezer.
Went out and measured where I will be adding at least 3 more raised beds in the East side yard.-check
Tired, going to eat lunch- walk again when I let Strawberry out in a bit.

Your old parking lot buddy , here again.
IMG_20210226_151557629.jpg

Jim

Went to the Doctor this morning to try to fight off this bronchitis/asthma/walking pneumonia that's been bothering me for the past four or five days. I almost never get sick, but when I do, I figure it's a good plan to get it looked at if it doesn't clear itself up within three or four days. Got some antibiotics and an albuterol inhaler and home again. Dawn had made a chicken pot-pie with some low-carbohydrate almond flour.

We've been keto-ing for the past couple of months and have lost about 25 pounds each, but it's really hard to get along with less than 25 g carbohydrates/day and no sugar. The doctor was glad to see that we've lost weight, but suggest that we back off a little and treat ourselves to a little more carbs. We've made almond-flour biscuits, but it just doesn't hold up with a pot-pie crust. Sure tasted good, though.

On the way back we stopped at HD and picked up the wood and aluminum sheeting for our second raised bed, as well as some PVC pipe and elbows/tees to build a stand to hang our grow lights on. I was going to start it this afternoon, but it started snowing again, and the temperatures are only about 36°. Common sense AKA Dawn ordered up a pot of tea and a couple hours on the couch watching the "Return of the King". I'm really feeling guilty at not doing a bunch of chores this afternoon...

...not!

Jim, I'm glad to hear your wife is feeling better.

Mo, sorry to hear about your oven. Mine died a long time ago and the new ones we want to get would require re-wiring from the breaker box (possibly getting a new breaker) and moving a shelf. I hope you get it working or get a new one soon.

Duncan, I hope you get feeling better soon. Be careful on those keto diets. Too much weight loss too quickly can release toxins into your body. If you start to feel like crap from the diet (after you recover from respiratory crud) you'll have to adjust it so that you feel good.

hashbrown, I have fond memories of going to quarries as a kid. Dad liked to look for fossils and also liked to show us different types of rocks. We would wander around looking at things while he explained what type of rocks things were. (We were looking at the parts where stuff had been cut out of).

Mom woke me up around midnight last night wanting food-- feigning low blood sugar. She doesn't realize that she doesn't have to lie to me to get me to feed her. I'd bought something at Walmart so made a quick meal. And I could tell she was absolutely faking it (bc she only acted weak when she knew I was looking-- right back to normal when she thought I couldn't see her).

Slept in til after 9am (intended to get up earlier). Body is extremely sore & I could barely move. Forced myself to get up.

Picked up friend, stopped by Tractor Supply for tools. Got back to house, realized we needed more fittings, back to local hardware store, home, & friend started assessing situation.

I remembered the box with pipes (I thought it had a shutoff) in it & told friend general area. He found it. Found 2 pipes going through but no shutoff. So confirms 2 waterlines going in under the house.

Friend was super sore as well & having trouble moving. He crawled under to cut off and cap a couple things. Tested water. Realized my brother had turned the knob on tub wrong way and that is why water heater wasn't filling & other taps weren't working. Tub was hogging all the water. I turned it off & water then worked in sink, toilet, water heater etc. Also realized cistern wasn't full enough and that cow waterer was filling outside. Cut off water to cow waterer. We now have working cold water to most of the sinks.

Took friend to local place to get boudin, dropped him off, went to walmart to get cat food, stopped by another local place so bro could go in and get fried chicken (I was so sore I could barely move). Got fillet of fish for Mom at McDonalds. Went home. Bro brought in cat food & fed cats while I brought food to mom.

Ate chicken. Napped for awhile on heating pads. Still sore AF.

Talked to friend online about future plans for water supply changes. We both agreed we will wait until our bodies have recovered before we go for round 4. Still tired.

Was up at my parents house (my neighbor's) on the way back down to mine I noticed one of their sheds seemed to be growling and my dog was barking at it.

I looked underneath it. Yep. Mountain Lion.

My parents are calling it 'Chloe'

Gotta love the country.

Well it's Saturday, slept in till 5, went to HD got some door mats and a boot tray, because I track mud everywhere. Today, I plan to transplant tomatoes. The weather outside is in the mid 40s may get into the 50s with a soft rain that should end by noon, I took out some of my plants to let them enjoy the rain....

Latest posts

Back