What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from my little brother's supervisor asking if I'd heard from him. He hadn't been at work for 2 days and wasn't answering phone. Police were sent for wellness check. He had passed away 2 days before. Dealing with a lot of people over the phone. I've not had to do this before. I have done some walking and been on the phone. If I'm not here so much, I'm ok but wanted to explain. I talked to my brother every other week and we texted, but he was 1,700 miles away. Hug your loved ones when you can!

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from my little brother's supervisor asking if I'd heard from him. He hadn't been at work for 2 days and wasn't answering phone. Police were sent for wellness check. He had passed away 2 days before. Dealing with a lot of people over the phone. I've not had to do this before. I have done some walking and been on the phone. If I'm not here so much, I'm ok but wanted to explain. I talked to my brother every other week and we texted, but he was 1,700 miles away. Hug your loved ones when you can!
No words Snap just :huggs:a hug.

I"m so sorry your brother passed, Snappy.

Yesterday I took Mom to an appointment for a mammogram. Went to Sam's after but there was only 1 working riding cart in the entrance. We got in there and Mom was using her cane to get up to one when some lady who got there after us saw her trying to get to the cart, ran ahead, nearly shoving her, and jumped in it. She then drove it off outside. She didn't say a word to my mother and I followed the old bat outside about to chew her out for her rude behavior. If she could run like that she didn't need it more than my mother and she clearly saw my mother and rushed to beat her to it. Saw her parking it near her car and a man with one leg got into it. So, I decided not to confront her, but it was still incredibly rude. She could have waited until a cart came available instead of practically stealing one from my mother. Couldn't find any riding carts so we ended up leaving without shopping (store needs more riding carts). Went to Lowes, got plumbing parts, then grabbed food from a Mexican place in town.

Today I took Mom for her 2nd covid vaccine shot. Went to the post office & a package arrived just in time. I was some toy kit for my friend's baby. Picked mom up after the vaccine and took her to friend's house so she could give some of the toys to the baby. She held him and played with him for awhile. He kept hitting himself in the face with the toys and punched himself in the cheek with his fist a few times.

Friend had new glasses and was feeling better about that but was bummed bc it would have been his father's 50th birthday. We hung out for a few hours and then went back home and I cooked for Mom.

I think she might have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow.

Son and the girlfriend are visiting from New Mex. Today we have an appt to visit an organic farm that does membership buy ins, lectures, rv camping, a small farm store. Son is interested in how it's done here. Then possibly the Amish bulk food store and deli and a walk through the biggest plant nursery in the area, if it's open. The girlfriend eats Keto, so lunch will be tricky. Then a tour through my favorite cousin's farm and pizza there afterwards. Got the add on swept out, and the floor needs to be cleaned up, then we can start moving furniture in. An electrician came yesterday to put in outlets in the basement. He put in nine of them, don't know why, but that's alot. The bathroom is not in, but it's sounding like that'll be a few weeks.

This morning I made a run to the grocery store, while we were making our list we realized that it had been 3 weeks.... Saw that the price on the nice steaks my wife likes came down to just "unreasonable" so I got 1 package, also got some chicken thighs and some burger; milk, eggs, some cheese, and some fruit. Plus I slipped in some of the wife's ice-cream, she say's not to get it and then she asks for it later.... (can't win on that one). When I got home I put everything away, re-packaged the meat an put it in the freezer, done by 07:30 Total damage was $130, for 3 weeks is not bad.... All the freezers are full and the storage shelves are over full (I am using temporary shelving to meet the space needs).

Yesterday about 3 pm , daughter and grandson stopped by for a visit .
Just asked if he'd like to make a few dollars...his reply " I'll do anything for money" . He just turned 14 ...too young for a job.
So I let him drag off some brush, restack the wood pile , and haul off junk from garage to barn.
Took him less than an hour , gave him $10.
Last night he text me that he's free all day Saturday.😁

Today , wife wants to go to sewing store...I'll do anything for her , she has had a rough go lately.

Then for late , lunch .

Really enjoying watching our HS varsity bb team. They're 20-3. Smallest HS in ky.
Beating everybody averaging 81 points a game..
The 3 losses , they just didn't show up. Hoping they make it to State finals. Them boys are good, been playing together since kindergarten.

Y'all have a great day , stay safe.

Jim

That's terrible news, Snappy1. I'm sorry. I got a call today, too...mom's sister, my aunt Mary passed yesterday. She had dementia. Her husband, my uncle is still living and has mild dementia. Sad times.

I'm sorry about your Aunt's passing, Amish!

Thank you all for the sentiments!

Hey Jim ( @phideaux ), the wife loves those fabric stores too. But, we are finding that they are now poorly stocked and that they are turning into Craft Stores...

We (She) are in the process of doing a room re-make, wife wanted new quilt for the bed (a ivory based double wedding ring multi-color job), when I got her the quilt I didn't realize that it would lead to new curtains, pillow shams, dust ruffles, and other fabric like stuff.... In my line of work, we call that scope creep. :)

I need to work on some vehicles out in the elements today. It’s been nice all week (sunny, calm, 10 degrees) and wasted away the week snowshoeing around the mountain and playing with the dog outdoors getting free vitamin D while putting off most of my chores. Today was supposed to be nice, but an unexpected turn of weather has it below zero, windy and snowing. Thank goodness for portable heaters...

@UrbanHunter , the sewing store I refer to is inside a True Value hardware , almost half the store is for sewing/quilting.
It's on the edge of one of the biggest Amish communities in KY.
They are very good at staying stocked , and she says they are the best prices of anything online.

She loves , I love taking her there , while I wait in the PARKING LOT 😁

JIM

Wall for the second bedroom went in today.

20210305_155717.jpg

Viewed from inside the bedroom.

20210305_155744.jpg

Pantry/laundry room.

20210305_155802.jpg

My brother dump the debris in the truck and get some more 2x4s.

Tomorrow I will be transplanting Rose of Sharon from the backyard nursery to fill in some blanks in the hedge around the other rental property. If I am ambitious I may transplant trees and bushes to The Ridge. It will be nice working outside as well as improving some of our properties.

Ben

Today was a visit to the Vascular surgeon for the result of the test last week. Good news and bad news. Good news is no clots or weak valves, bad news is he can't operate and get that new Porsche :p . Stopped at the LGS and got myself a present, Kel-Tec-PMR-30.

Thought a bit more on why the RV generator isn't suppling 120 AC.
Order another pair of electronic hearing muffs.
Move the mule from the house garage back to the shop.
Wife fixed lunch.
On the radio making some contacts.
Walked out to get the mail.
Pickup some tree branches from the yard.
Researched YouTubes reference RV generator.
Wife fixed supper.
In a few minutes it will be time to sit in the recliner and cover up with a quilt to watch my evening TV shows.

We moved down to our “Vacation Home” for a couple of weeks. It’s almost a 100 yards from our house! 🤣🤣🤣 We use it like a getaway without going anywhere it’s a little apartment we built in my work shop and when we have gusts they have a nice private place to stay. While we stay here it gives me time to work on it. The downstairs area is pretty much complete we still need to buy blinds to finish it. It has a little kitchen, living room, bedroom, living room, bathroom and laundry room. I think my next project will be adding 2 bedrooms and a bath upstairs. My wife thinks the boy might want to live here someday who knows.
8170E3C5-855B-4777-8398-FCC7448FB498.jpeg
93619A5A-632A-4068-A59A-BC5B8A73B464.jpeg
C5E387F3-8615-46DE-8FC1-ED269A8446A7.png

Glad you got a good report Dade. To bad for the Dr.
Nice add on to the work shop HB.
Nice to put an end to the work week. This one has been hell from first thing Monday. Got home and went to the garden spot to do more prep for the taters. After diggin around a little I decided I needed to dig deeper, so I hooked the tater plow to the kubota 4wd and dug up about 1/2 of one area with the plow to the beam. Then pulled the cultivator plows thru and busted up most of the bigger pieces. Decided it was just dry enough and hooked up the disc and busted that up. (i'll post some pics in the garden thread). I'll check again in the morning, but may not even need to run the tiller, just lay off some rows.
Went and picked up a calzone for me and spaghetti for the wife. Now sippin a little brandy.

Condolences to Snappy and Amish Hart.
Hashbrown, nice looking vacation place.
Lost Internet yesterday,it finally came back on after they figured out backhoe cut the lines.
8 hours of repairs, my Internet came back on about 6 pm.
Got my Pre-Op done today.
Hearing aid was dropped off for repairs.
Have huge black and blue bruises on my right arm from blood work for Pre-Op.
From my right elbow to my fingertips is black and blue.
From two pokes but she got the normal 15 tubes of blood.
Got the COVID test, no surgery without it.
No vaccine though, too close to surgery.

Kitchen has been picked up.
Have walked over 2.76 miles today.
Have left foot elevated.
Crocheting on Strawberry's kennel pad.
Strawberry missed me this morning.
She hasn't let me out of her sight since I got home at 10:30 am.
Lunch and supper wasn't much.
Only ate to fill hunger pains.
Tired, will be going to bed sooner than later.

Today: 2 loads of laundry, 2 bundt cakes, homemade ice cream, batch of peppermint-chocolate drizzlers, 1 batch Irish cream, supper, all dishes done & 2 trips in to work for emergency "parts-runs". Tomorrow, taking cast irons of Swiss steak and Swiss chicken with fixin's to in-laws to celebrate MIL's 80th Bday. I'm already whooped. Hoping to relax a little Sunday. Hubby will be working, trying to finish up "the job from H3//."
I'm supposed to be getting a new laptop next week. I have an old Acer that no longer connects to the Internet and only runs if it's plugged in, an iPad 2 which I'm on now that only pulls up email, forum, and some web sites but seldom any pictures. It often won't let me like a post - that's just asking too much of it 😂 The big computer mostly works- sorta. Can't edit photos or try to do anything too big but ... The laptop will replace all 3 dinosaurs 😊
@dademoss That's some bad new one can live with 😉

Son and the girlfriend are visiting from New Mex. Today we have an appt to visit an organic farm that does membership buy ins, lectures, rv camping, a small farm store. Son is interested in how it's done here. Then possibly the Amish bulk food store and deli and a walk through the biggest plant nursery in the area, if it's open. The girlfriend eats Keto, so lunch will be tricky. Then a tour through my favorite cousin's farm and pizza there afterwards. Got the add on swept out, and the floor needs to be cleaned up, then we can start moving furniture in. An electrician came yesterday to put in outlets in the basement. He put in nine of them, don't know why, but that's alot. The bathroom is not in, but it's sounding like that'll be a few weeks.
I believe building code requires an outlet/receptacle every 12 ft and you need to have one within 6ft of a doorway and 6ft of a corner.
I'm very sorry to hear of your aunt's passing. (I missed that post earlier but saw it in quote posts from others).

We moved down to our “Vacation Home” for a couple of weeks. It’s almost a 100 yards from our house! 🤣🤣🤣 We use it like a getaway without going anywhere it’s a little apartment we built in my work shop and when we have gusts they have a nice private place to stay. While we stay here it gives me time to work on it. The downstairs area is pretty much complete we still need to buy blinds to finish it. It has a little kitchen, living room, bedroom, living room, bathroom and laundry room. I think my next project will be adding 2 bedrooms and a bath upstairs. My wife thinks the boy might want to live here someday who knows. View attachment 60442View attachment 60443View attachment 60444
Wow! That looks great!

Y'all ever have a dream so scary you woke up and couldn't get back to sleep? That's what I'm doing...trying to get back to sleep after one of those dreams.
Not necessarily scary, but I'll have bizarre dreams and wake up with my brain not wanting to settle down enough to let me get back to sleep.

I stayed up Thursday night to early Friday watching my brother play a game called Valheim. Slept until 3:30pm. Cooked for mom. Passed a kidney stone. Celebrated with french vanilla ice cream mixed with chocolate chip cookie dough & chocolate syrup. Ate marinated pork chops my brother cooked. Napped for a bit, took meds & vitamins, and now I'm trying to get back to sleep.

Back