What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More wiring today. The attachable battery powered transfer pump arrived today. The Princess has trouble with a 5 gallon gas can lifting it and operating the silly safety nozzle to fill the lawn mower. I also have a challenge cycling older gas into my Jeep without making a mess. The pump will replace the cap on the gas can and let fill the tank with just a push of a button.

Tomorrow I hope to work in the garden and clear it out for the growing season.

Ben

I need to rebuild several sections of fence that boy hasn't touched in 2 years, even to make simple repairs. I spent parts of yesterday and today just cutting brush and vines back so I can actually fix the fences. I have another 2days of cleaning and cutting yet to go.

I told that kid the first spring that cutting brush around the corral and main holding pen had to be done every summer. With those two in good order he could control cattle movement on the whole farm and work them when needed. Did he listen? Nope.

The 1st pic is from the corral facing the east side, a literal wall of brush, privet hedge and Carolina buckthorn. I cleaned a 4ft wide path down that side today, still have another 25ft to go.

The last pic is down the north side... I have to clear all the brush to the right of the Conex box. Behind the brush is a chicken pen and an entire barn that can no longer be seen. That's what 2 years of letting brush grow will look like.

Bull (3) sm.JPG
Corral fence ( 3) sm.JPG
Corral fence ( 6) sm.JPG
Corral fence ( 9) sm.JPG
Corral fence (12) sm.JPG

Last edited:
I have a migraine. The type that make you feel nauseous. So I am doing minimal work around the house. It feels warmer outside than in the house and it is 45 outside and 70 in the house! I hate these headaches.

I will be working on our garden later if I can get a handle on the headache. I am using Victory 8 grow bags this year. I have used grow bags in the past but Victory 8 has bigger sizes that make great raised beds.

I have a migraine. The type that make you feel nauseous. So I am doing minimal work around the house. It feels warmer outside than in the house and it is 45 outside and 70 in the house! I hate these headaches.

I will be working on our garden later if I can get a handle on the headache. I am using Victory 8 grow bags this year. I have used grow bags in the past but Victory 8 has bigger sizes that make great raised beds.
Drink about a gallon of warm water & get to feeling better deary.

I sent a wonderful day in the garden. First priority was weeding the strawberry patch that surrounds the shed.

20210414_162956.jpg

Then I started on the raspberries. Got about 1/4 way done wth them. I noticed as I was packing up for the day I noticed the first my potatoes were up.

20210414_162547.jpg

The red pontiac are always the first to emerge.

Tomorrow should be a day of wiring.

Behave

Ben

I walked early and it's been raining since 8 am. I oven canned brownies this morning. I will watch them carefully. I don't know how long they will last. More macaroni and cheese tomorrow, I think.
Oven canned brownies???? :ghostly: Do tell???

New engine for dad’s mower came late this afternoon. The man on the phone said “It comes with everything but a new muffler”. So far he’s right, new oil and fuel filters installed along with starter and throttle bracket. There might be a gasket for the muffler, haven’t taken the motor out of the box to see. If not I’ll make one. I have a roll of gasket material in the shop.

I got everything removed but one last bolt holding the old engine to the frame. It’s a bear, hiding behind an idler arm on the bottom of the frame. I’m going to lift the mower completely vertical tomorrow, might can remove it then. Oh, while I had the mower up in the air I removed the blades and sharpened those.

We started getting lite rain showers this morning so today I rested. All the brush on the fence line isn’t going anywhere.

mower 14apr  (6) sm.JPG
mower 14apr  (9) sm.JPG

Last edited:

I get migraines with spots in front of my eye, so I can't really see. I have to take aspirin ( only thing that works on them Bayer regular aspirin) and sit or lie in a dark place for about an hour. It's horrible when it happens while I am driving , I have to pull over.

Hope you feel better soon!

Right now I am sitting in bed slightly ...drunk....I haven't had any alcohol in about half a year, but today I had some Vodka. I feel it A LOT , it was only a little bit but I guess if you don't drink for a while and then do, you REALLY feel it.

I just felt stressed today. We had 4 more lambs,1 of which , again, got rejected by mom. So now I have2 lambs living in the house, feeding them 5 times a day. Farmers market is starting up this weekend, and I am JUST not ready. I wished the lambs had come earlier....
The good news, I had absolutely no reaction to my Covid vaccine #1 a few days ago ( Pfizer) . Glad that is over with.
Next one is in May.
Why are our sheep such bad moms??? The goats don't do that. Sheep have 2 kids, and only want one. And they don't just not feed it, they actively try to kill it by headbutting it very hard. I don't think I like sheep very much sometimes. We sell a lot of lamb, and we like to eat it, but sheep are just annoying :( I can't figure out why in the Bible sheep are the " good guys" and goat the bad! It really should be the other way around.

Right now I am sitting in bed slightly ...drunk....I haven't had any alcohol in about half a year, but today I had some Vodka. I feel it A LOT , it was only a little bit but I guess if you don't drink for a while and then do, you REALLY feel it.

I just felt stressed today. We had 4 more lambs,1 of which , again, got rejected by mom. So now I have2 lambs living in the house, feeding them 5 times a day. Farmers market is starting up this weekend, and I am JUST not ready. I wished the lambs had come earlier....
The good news, I had absolutely no reaction to my Covid vaccine #1 a few days ago ( Pfizer) . Glad that is over with.
Next one is in May.
Why are our sheep such bad moms??? The goats don't do that. Sheep have 2 kids, and only want one. And they don't just not feed it, they actively try to kill it by headbutting it very hard. I don't think I like sheep very much sometimes. We sell a lot of lamb, and we like to eat it, but sheep are just annoying :( I can't figure out why in the Bible sheep are the " good guys" and goat the bad! It really should be the other way around.
Boy there is a lot to explore there.

?
Are the mothers well fed and in good shape to be able to suckle multiple lambs?

Biblical goats and sheep.

As I understand goats were often kept with sheep for the benefits of the sheep. Sheep will follow without thinking while goats will be thoughtful. The goats were a benefit to the following sheep.

The same idea exists in believers. There are those that don't or can't distinguish between right and wrong. They follow the lead or example of others. The goats.

It is an interesting interest in the goat. It was the sacrificed that took away the sins of the nation in the form of the scapegoat.

Ben

Next one is in May.
What breed of sheep do you have. At one point I had about 80 head of Suffolk. Didn't usually have a problem unless something like mastitis or illness, etc. Like Ben said, if they don't have enough nourishment, they will kick one off to preserve their own health. Do you have mineral salt for them? Trace minerals are important. If yes, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to identify potential areas that could be the issue. Certain breeds are better mothers than others. Also, if you have a good "mama hen" ewe, you might be able to graft a newborn lamb on another ewe with her own (if only a single.)

Oven canned brownies???? :ghostly: Do tell???

I hesitate to call it "canned" I baked them in half pints in a 9x9 pan in the oven at 325 degrees for about 50 minutes. I have heard they will last anywhere from 2 months to 2 years. Also read that they are unsafe. I did heat lids in water and dried them. Put lids on when they came out of oven. I did grease the inside of jars and they have to have straight sides to get the brownie out. Pretty much an experiment at this point. And fill jars a little less than half full. I used a mix this time. I think I will try cornbread next.

I hesitate to call it "canned" I baked them in half pints in a 9x9 pan in the oven at 325 degrees for about 50 minutes. I have heard they will last anywhere from 2 months to 2 years. Also read that they are unsafe. I did heat lids in water and dried them. Put lids on when they came out of oven. I did grease the inside of jars and they have to have straight sides to get the brownie out. Pretty much an experiment at this point. And fill jars a little less than half full. I used a mix this time. I think I will try cornbread next.
Please keep us posted. I can't have brownies (chocolate) as much as I love it, but similar items. I have a spice cake recipe I seldom make because we don't eat much cake, but once in a while it would be a nice treat. Will be curious as to shelf life and chewability :) (flavor).

What breed of sheep do you have. At one point I had about 80 head of Suffolk. Didn't usually have a problem unless something like mastitis or illness, etc. Like Ben said, if they don't have enough nourishment, they will kick one off to preserve their own health. Do you have mineral salt for them? Trace minerals are important. If yes, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to identify potential areas that could be the issue. Certain breeds are better mothers than others. Also, if you have a good "mama hen" ewe, you might be able to graft a newborn lamb on

another ewe with her own (if only a single.)

All legitimate questions...yes, our sheep are well fed, have mineral, good shelter, and are healthy in general. They almost never have to be dewormed, and since I gave all of them a shot against pneumonia, none of them have been sick ( they get pneumonia sometimes if the weather changes from cold to hot and humid too fast and the other way around)
And the lambs are healthy too! If they were sickly or deformed I could see it, but they are not. The only thing I can think of is that they were first time mothers and gave birth in the pasture ( we moved them in a stall later). Maybe they just forgot about the first one while cleaning off the second one and moved on. Not sure. They are Katahdins.

Our goats will have 4, 5 or even 6 kids and will try to feed and take care of them all.

Just fed the babies . We milked the bad mom some so I can feed some colostrum to the baby. Tomorrow it will get milk replacers. Oh, there is nothing wrong with her udder either. But it is incredibly difficult to milk a sheep.

Yesterday was a busy day, took off half a day to take the wife to appointments, while she was in one, I ran to the drug store across the street for some vitamins that she needed. On the way back I stopped at the liquor store and picked up a 6 pack of beer, I don't drink but my slugs love it :).

Alcohol at our house is a funny issue, we don't drink (any), but we do use wine and other alcohols in cooking. The wife prefers that I go to the liquor store and buy relatively good red and white wines, red for stew base and white for her sea food dishes. We also keep a couple bottles of rum, sherry, and other stuff that show up in recipes that the wife and son find. As a result we have a full case of wine and an assortment of stronger alcohols in our food storage area, for non-drinkers I find that funny.

Side note: Back when I did drink, I drank Canadian Club (CC) and coke, there is no CC in the house.

My health care provider contacted me yesterday and I am now on the approved list to get the vaccine, now I have to decide if I want it... The wife and son will most likely decide for me.... (kind of like a Shotgun wedding)

I need to rebuild several sections of fence that boy hasn't touched in 2 years, even to make simple repairs. I spent parts of yesterday and today just cutting brush and vines back so I can actually fix the fences. I have another 2days of cleaning and cutting yet to go.

I told that kid the first spring that cutting brush around the corral and main holding pen had to be done every summer. With those two in good order he could control cattle movement on the whole farm and work them when needed. Did he listen? Nope.

The 1st pic is from the corral facing the east side, a literal wall of brush, privet hedge and Carolina buckthorn. I cleaned a 4ft wide path down that side today, still have another 25ft to go.

The last pic is down the north side... I have to clear all the brush to the right of the Conex box. Behind the brush is a chicken pen and an entire barn that can no longer be seen. That's what 2 years of letting brush grow will look like.

View attachment 63462View attachment 63463View attachment 63464View attachment 63465View attachment 63466
Kinda reminds me of my cousin's place.

I'm back.
Been dealing with my dad.
He's fine just ornery, lonely.
In two weeks he won't be lonely got company coming in from Texas.
Been trying to get a semi family reunion together with the grand kids and the great grand kids.
There' a couple he hasn't even seen yet.
Because of the virus crap.
Finally been cleared to get goofy giddy vaccine.
Now 30 days out from surgery.
Appointment has been set up.
Working on getting raised beds,placed, filled with new soil.
This weekend is the start Garage Sale season.
City wide sales start in several towns around me.
Waiting on a special package to come in for Estelle's birthday in June.
Neb, Lady Locust, you two will get a hoot out of this.
Got her a child's size version of a knitting machine.
Mainly so she will leave mine alone.
She slightly frustrating at the moment.
Partly my fault.
Just heard a crash, felt the floor and wall shake in living room.
Closet pole in my only closet in my room, fell.
So that will have to be repaired.
Still waiting on stove to be repaired.
Walking,weather has been nice so Strawberry and I have been outside quite a bit.

Last edited:
Shooting competition starts this weekend!!!!
Local Match Director is laid up from surgery complications.
#2 is now acting Match Director.
I'm now the acting IT guy for the new scoring system.
Insure scoring tablets are fully charged.
One shooting discipline on Saturday. Different one on Sunday.
Setup for Saturday's match this afternoon.
Starting to load up the RV, I'll be staying on the range Saturday to Sunday.
Freeze dried food for Saturday's supper and Sunday's breakfast.
Weather is too iffy to de-winterize the RV which means no John.
Doubt if the Range will have water turned on (restrooms available). Outhouse it is..

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to sling lead down range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember (talking to myself). Keep your booger finger off the bang switch until target is in the sights.

I am doing...very little. Got the kid off to school, went to the church coffee shop and had a brew called "Bazinga", which wasn't any different than regular black coffee as far as I can tell. I was going to hit the gym but it's closed today so the new owners can repair the concrete steps. It'll open back up around 5. I guess I'll clean instead. Lord knows this place needs it. I done got lazy about cleaning since I went back to work, and I've never been a cleaning freak anyway, so it's bad. You know it's bad if you look around your living room and say, "Damn! This is awful!" And that's where I'm at right now...

Laundry, cleaning, some cooking, transplated some seedlings that I started in 4 pks to larger pots. Put in a small wire fencing around a corner of the plowed garden area. I noticed tire tracks in the corner and realized that visiters and workers were using it as a turn around spot. Thankfully that's not the corner I seed kale in. Finishing my coffee and then will go visit my favorite cousin. The twins have a jazz band concert at the High School so we'll go watch. Irises are in bloom and lilacs, so I cut a big vase of them for the table.

Laundry, cleaning, some cooking, transplated some seedlings that I started in 4 pks to larger pots. Put in a small wire fencing around a corner of the plowed garden area. I noticed tire tracks in the corner and realized that visiters and workers were using it as a turn around spot. Thankfully that's not the corner I seed kale in. Finishing my coffee and then will go visit my favorite cousin. The twins have a jazz band concert at the High School so we'll go watch. Irises are in bloom and lilacs, so I cut a big vase of them for the table.
Are these the iris I gave to you?

Back