What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the blackberry and raspberry bushes planted. Survived the little granddaughter's visit with her mom and the boyfriend. They were over two hours. They are both not right in the head. We haven't allowed them to visit for a month, since they got into an argument with each other in front of the granddaughter, so they were on good behavior today. Transplanted a ton of seedlings into bigger pots, and also noticed a rabbit (I'm guessing) ate one of my red cabbage plants last night.
Is she beginning to see the difference between home life now and previously?

Easy day today so far. Went to church, then made homemade Maid-Rites for lunch. That was my mom's traditional Sunday lunch, because she didn't want to work too hard at making stuff on Sunday. I think I might carry it on with my daughter.

We played some board games and then I took her back to her mom's at 4. One of their barn cats had kittens this week and she had to show me, one ginger patch pelt and one black tuxedo...

Now, I'm just chilling at home, doing some dishes, listening to music, and trying to psych myself up for going back to work this week...
What are Maid-Rites?

No. I've never heard of that before. I mean, I've heard of candida, but not of it being any overgrowth. I suppose it could be in my sinuses but I don't smell anything off. A friend of mine reported he had the same symptoms 3 weeks after the Covid vaccine. It's been about 3 weeks since my 1st dose & I'm getting the 2nd one tomorrow. I googled it & if it is Candida it could explain my fatigue. I just started taking Magnesium vitamins. Not sure how one would check for it. I'll have to ask my doctor about it.

Feeling a bit better today but still feel off. I turned my head too fast & got a tiny bit lightheaded (but that can happen when I'm not feeling off).

Went to the store to pick up some meds I ran out of & picked up some groceries. Got home & scrubbed the counters and cleaned the pressure cookers (grease reservoir fell off the pressure cooker & it gunked up the counter badly). I picked up all of the appliances on the counter and scrubbed them (especially the bottoms) and after the counter was clean I put them back. I boiled water to clean the bowl thingies that goes inside the pressure cookers. Scrubbed the sink down as well.

My brother is currently chopping vegetables for the chicken soup. He's been helpful since he knows I've been having trouble. I'm going to try to push through the malaise & try to clean the kitchen before the 21st (Mom's birthday).

Meanwhile, I had fun with Sketchup. My bed frame plans use Simpson Strong tie brackets/braces. They had 3D models of the joist hangers for download, but not of the angle braces. So, I made my own in Sketchup. I downloaded some hex head bolts (to use as representing the screws) but they were gigantic-- as big as the bed frame. So I resized & modified them, cut off the bolt end so I would just have the caps, and put them in place over the braces.

Pics are screenshots of the braces I made with & without the hex heads.
View attachment 63721View attachment 63722
I'm going to try to figure out how to upload them to the 3dwarehouse.
It always feels good to know the counters are clean even under things. The older I get the fewer things I like on the counters - because I don't want to clean it all.

Grandson and I are cleaning out my old workshop. My daughter sold the house (we gave it to her to do whatever) . Any tools that I have multiples, he gets the extras. Lots of old car parts, gave him all of those. Kept all my floor covering installation tools. You never know, I might get younger and go back to work.:ghostly:

It's been a nice weekend - busy, but nice. Yesterday we went over the mountain and installed a firescreen that Hubby smithed. Had lunch at a favorite brew-pub that has really good food. On the way back we stopped by some friends to return some castor carts we had of theirs. We ended up sitting on the deck chatting until about 7PM. It was so nice to be able to speak without worry of offending anyone and to be able to catch up on everything. We'd only seen them once since The Vid came along.
Today Hubby went into work. I asked Pa if he wanted to go for a drive up the mountain. I needed to mow and get the sprinklers going and fill water jugs for our drinking water. Got it mowed. And we worked quite a while to get the sprinklers going but no lucky. Finally came back and was at Pa and Ma's & called Hubby to let him know we couldn't get it going. He decided to stop by to pick me up on the way up the mountain (my 2nd trip) and we headed back up. He was able to "break" the connection with the pipe wrenches - I had all my weight on it and couldn't budge it. We got it going which I'm quite relieved about. It is dry here!
IMG_3500.jpg
IMG_3498.jpg

@LadyLocust Maid-Rite is a sandwich chain that is in Iowa. Instead of burger patties, it's finely crumbled loose meat with chopped onion and seasoning. Think of a Sloppy Joe without all the sauce in it.

It's pretty simple to make your own at home, there's not many ingredients. All ya gotta do is brown and crumble some ground beef, season how you want, and slap it on a bun.

The older I get the fewer things I like on the counters - because I don't want to clean it all.

You and me both... I have so few cabinets in my kitchen I'm stuck cluttering up my counters. Am left with two little spots for food prep. If I need extra prep space I have to move a bunch of stuff to my kitchen table then move it back when I eat... All my food is on shelves across the hall in my pantry room & the fridge.

A quiet day here. I went out late afternoon and cut some brush by the corral, found and fixed a hole in the chicken pen. Nothing exciting...

Worked on the LSV some more.

Since the price of building materials is apocalyptic I don't think I'm going to get a lot done on the addition this year so I think it may be a summer for finishing up old projects.

If your wondering what LSV stands for.....its Light Strike Vehicle

The inspiration:

52136985223b80d844a9a55452897540.jpg

Where I'm at so far:

3Y0U3GH.jpg

I did muster up enough motivation to cut a 55 gal barrel in half, build a crossbuck to set it on.
Filled with 50% dirt , 40% potting soil, and 10% manure compost.

Then a few pepper plants.
IMG_20210419_103630085_HDR.jpg

Was gonna get my tomatoes bed screen covered today and sticks and baskets up to set out tomatoes Thursday afte the 2 nights of frost/freeze, but too wet after rain.

Rest today I suppose.

74 today , 78 tomorrow, 32 tomorrow night. Uuuggh.

Y'all take it easy.

Jim

No. I've never heard of that before. I mean, I've heard of candida, but not of it being any overgrowth. I suppose it could be in my sinuses but I don't smell anything off. A friend of mine reported he had the same symptoms 3 weeks after the Covid vaccine. It's been about 3 weeks since my 1st dose & I'm getting the 2nd one tomorrow. I googled it & if it is Candida it could explain my fatigue. I just started taking Magnesium vitamins. Not sure how one would check for it. I'll have to ask my doctor about it.

Feeling a bit better today but still feel off. I turned my head too fast & got a tiny bit lightheaded (but that can happen when I'm not feeling off).

Try the tea. It is easy to make and after a few days I felt worse but that is the Candida die-off. Once that past I felt tons better. You could also just take the Kyolic daily as a detox/cleanse.

Brew a cup of Dandelion root tea. Add a tbsp of minced fresh garlic and ginger. Drink several times a day. I minced a bunch of garlic and ginger and put them in a jar and covered with honey. I added a spoonful to the tea.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/candida-symptoms-treatment#TOC_TITLE_HDR_6

Supposed to get a little snow late tonight, tomorrow morning. Am going to cut some milk jugs for my cabbages and brussel sprouts, not just because of that, but because at least two are disappearing every night.
Just brought up three dz eggs to give to a neighbor, and got a warm loaf of wheat bread in return. She's so sweet. Chick count...10 hatched, one trying to hatch.

70 today, 20s and snow tomorrow.
Went to Dr., short of breath, heart rate is normal, O2 is 97% on room air, BP normal, lungs are clear. Have had EKG and ultrasound on my heart, both normal. Next is pulmonary test for lung capacity.

Worked on the LSV some more.

Since the price of building materials is apocalyptic I don't think I'm going to get a lot done on the addition this year so I think it may be a summer for finishing up old projects.

If your wondering what LSV stands for.....its Light Strike Vehicle

The inspiration:

52136985223b80d844a9a55452897540.jpg

Where I'm at so far:

3Y0U3GH.jpg
I worked a guy that destroyed one of those but not the way one would expect.

Aberdean has a test facility used to certify military gear as being safe for air transport and will not break loose and fall through a transport aircraft. That would be bad.

The worse case condition is a rocket assisted take-off with a sharp turn. Under those conditions a 3G force could be realized on the tie-down fixtures. The test facility used a crane to pull on the widget being tested while being tied down a concrete slab via large load cells to measure force.

When my associate received the sample LSV for testing he took it for quick test drive. He said it was a howl to drive. But come time to certify it the LSV folded up in half before getting up to required load. At least he got a chance to try it out first.

I thought it was a cool story.

Ben

Not a single chicken out of the pen today... Now I can finish clearing the brush and rebuild the fences between the corral, holding pen and chicken pen... whoopie!

I need to build a wooden gate and install it there also. 4ft wide is enough, for people, not livestock. I'll go down to the sawmill and get some scrap lumber. Need to get 3, 8ft wooden posts and some quickcrete from town...

Finished putting a new engine on dad's lawn mower this afternoon. Took it for a test drive to the mailbox then mowed the path to the chicken pen. Runs fine, except the belts need replaced and the tranny is about toast, but it's what he wanted.

I left all my vehicle tools in the shop. I need to take off the rear wheel of the scooter I used searching for newborn calves. The drive chain jumped off the sprocket last fall and that tire has a slow leak. I'll take the wheel to town and have an inner-tube put in.

Enough for today...

19apr21 mower finish (2) smm.JPG
19apr21 mower finish (4) smm.JPG

Modified some boxes to hold #10 cans. I got 30 cans boxed up in the boxes and put away. Next is to rearrange the food storage closet. K has his weather gear in it so that needs to be put in a tote for storage til next year.

We added more gas to our stores. Even though gas prices have gone up 50% I'd rather have it on the shelf for when it reaches a 100%+ increase this summer. I increased our gas budget for this coming price hike.

More decluttering and purging.

A decluttering of sorts and my real issue - security (there was another thread of that sort @Aerindel posted). Probably a little different kind of security, but in my email which I've whittled down to skeletal, I went into contacts, then I discovered "all contacts". Oh Dear! Went through the list: the kids' elementary teachers, former coworkers, craigslist adds, etc. Now a manageable list that I will work on. I have 3 emails for my SIL who I seldom email, usually just call or text etc. I want as little contact info online as possible. I know they already have it, but don't want to just leave it there.

Supposed to get a little snow late tonight, tomorrow morning. Am going to cut some milk jugs for my cabbages and brussel sprouts, not just because of that, but because at least two are disappearing every night.
Just brought up three dz eggs to give to a neighbor, and got a warm loaf of wheat bread in return. She's so sweet. Chick count...10 hatched, one trying to hatch.
We're getting snow right now. We are predicted to get between 3 to 7 inches.

Left work at 130 to take wife to a meeting with a Medicare advisor. Left there and stopped at CoOp and got some mint plants, some more peppers. Also got 2 nice Sugar Maple trees that I've been looking for for 2 years, 6'+ tall for $25 each. Wife got some flower seeds, some Mrs Wages canning mixes, a bluebird house, another humming bird feeder. I picked up a bag of 19-19-19, a bag of 6-12-12 fertilize, a bag of Treflan pre emergant, and a lb of Ambrosia corn.

Left work at 130 to take wife to a meeting with a Medicare advisor. Left there and stopped at CoOp and got some mint plants, some more peppers. Also got 2 nice Sugar Maple trees that I've been looking for for 2 years, 6'+ tall for $25 each. Wife got some flower seeds, some Mrs Wages canning mixes, a bluebird house, another humming bird feeder. I picked up a bag of 19-19-19, a bag of 6-12-12 fertilize, a bag of Treflan pre emergant, and a lb of Ambrosia corn.
All the years I grew sweet corn ....Ambrosia...... after trying many varieties.
Absolutely the best.

Also used Treflan for years.

Jim

Last edited:
It always feels good to know the counters are clean even under things. The older I get the fewer things I like on the counters - because I don't want to clean it all.
It' does feel good & it's also a very good thing I cleaned it so thoroughly because some of the veggies for the chicken soup fell on the counter when my brother was putting them in the pressure cooker. It was absolutely disgusting & unsanitary before.

It's been a nice weekend - busy, but nice. Yesterday we went over the mountain and installed a firescreen that Hubby smithed.
View attachment 63740View attachment 63741
Oh wow! That fire screen is amazing! Your husband must be very proud of his work. I wish I was skilled at doing stuff like that.

You and me both... I have so few cabinets in my kitchen I'm stuck cluttering up my counters. Am left with two little spots for food prep. If I need extra prep space I have to move a bunch of stuff to my kitchen table then move it back when I eat... All my food is on shelves across the hall in my pantry room & the fridge.
I have plenty of cabinets but I never got everything put back up after the raccoons got in and pulled things out. I need to thoroughly clean the insides of the cabinets before I put stuff away. Although, some of my appliances are too large to fit in any of the cabinets. I like to have as little as possible on the counters because the cats (and one of the dogs) can get up there & knock stuff down. My younger dog would climb trees if she had the ability to. She loves to get up on things. She gets on top of my dresser to look outside the window and gets up on the back of the couch. She does this adorable thing where she runs over behind me and then crawls on to my shoulder & licks my face.

Try the tea. It is easy to make and after a few days I felt worse but that is the Candida die-off. Once that past I felt tons better. You could also just take the Kyolic daily as a detox/cleanse.
Thanks! I'll have to consult my doctor first to make sure it doesn't conflict with any of my meds & that it doesn't increase chances of kidney stones. I've been trying to stop getting kidney stones. I got some lemonade and I also got oranges. Reminds me, I need to go eat an orange. I'm trying to eat more fruit. I need to see if we have the right appliance to blend up orange and banana together. When I lived in Singapore there was a kiosk in Funan Center where you could pick whatever fruit they had on hand & they'd make it in to a drink for you. We'd get orange apple and banana. I think they had some ice crunched up like a slushy as well. It's been a very long time so it's hard to remember. Ice & fruit deserts were very popular there. I meant to call the doctor today but forgot about it until it was closed (his office doesn't stay open late and has no answering machine to leave messages).

More wiring today. Installed the last overhead light switch and some wire management fixtures.
View attachment 63790
6++++++++++++++++++++
(The above was my cat's contribution to the post-- he kept stepping on my keyboard & I kept pushing him off of it).
I meant to say that I didn't know those cable managers existed and now I want some. That would solve a lot of organization issues with my wires. Where do you get those and what are they called?

Kept torquing my deltoid muscle over and over the past few weeks so it doesn't seem to want to heal. I'm still having trouble reaching at certain angles. Also found that if I bend too far while looking straight down I still get dizzy, but otherwise I'm not getting dizzy.

Brother & I got our 2nd Pfizer dose today. This time I felt the pressure from the needle but no pain. Several people who wanted vaccines asked me & I told them it didn't hurt. Arm isn't even sore from it. Afterward we grabbed some Tylenol just in case (since pharmacist recommended it) and went home. I was feeling exhausted so I'm just waking up from my nap and have to go get food for Mom.

I liked Peaches and Cream, but Ambrosia is hands down better.
I use treflan on my onion rows, keeps em weed free. Gonna try it on my taters and beans this year too.

Hope it don't prevent the beans from germinating.
I used it after they were up.

Ambrosia , yellow and white, super sweet, and good large ears.

Jim

"
++++++++++++++++++++
(The above was my cat's contribution to the post-- he kept stepping on my keyboard & I kept pushing him off of it).
I meant to say that I didn't know those cable managers existed and now I want some. That would solve a lot of organization issues with my wires. Where do you get those and what are they called?
"

I'll get a picture of the bag. The name is something a committee would be proud if.

Ben

"
++++++++++++++++++++
"

I'll get a picture of the bag. The name is something a committee would be proud if.

Ben
Thanks! I really need better cable management and if there's room to do that with some of the cables under the house it can make things a bit safer. Do they go in with a nail or a screw?

Just finished eating dinner. My brother made chicken soup with better than bullion and garlic salt for the broth, bok choi, kale, zucchini, baby bella mushrooms, rutabaga, and some other sort of greens. Tastes great. Mom wanted seconds while I was still working on my first bowl & she was getting impatient. LOL.

I built the table this weekend and decked the trailer today.
View attachment 63803View attachment 63804
I don't know if you plan on sealing those or not, but there is some stuff called Duck's Back that is the best I've found for sealing wood & lasts longer than a week. So many are like putting water on the wood - do absolutely nothing. I know BiMart carries it & I think Sherwin Williams but is more expensive there.

Dishes are done and put away.
Laundry is all done, washed, dried and put away.
Floors are swept.
Strawberry has been walked.
Her business has been cleaned up in the yard.
Trash taken out.
Finished getting everything picked up from Grand daughter's sleepover with Granny.
All the books are put away.
Thank you again Terri.
Have covered the plants that I planted Sunday.
Brought the house plants back inside.
Just got to make coffee for morning.
Sipping last cup of coffee for the night.
Where's WV Dragon lady?

Dishes are done and put away.
Laundry is all done, washed, dried and put away.
Floors are swept.
Strawberry has been walked.
Her business has been cleaned up in the yard.
Trash taken out.
Finished getting everything picked up from Grand daughter's sleepover with Granny.
All the books are put away.
Thank you again Terri.
Have covered the plants that I planted Sunday.
Brought the house plants back inside.
Just got to make coffee for morning.
Sipping last cup of coffee for the night.
Where's WV Dragon lady?
She was on here this morning, but she's been a little quieter lately. Up in the search, you can put a member's name and see when they were last on here. It seems like the other day she found some good deals in the way of preps.

Latest posts

Back