What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hammered out the meal menu with my mom for this weekend. I told her I'd bring some of the groceries (the more expensive items they don't keep on hand but K insists we have like pork ribs!) and bake her and my dad a loaf of bread. I got our baking done for the week so I plan to bake the extra bread tomorrow while we pack bags and set up the house for a weekend away.

It has been supper dry and hot the past few days so we have been seeing how long we can stand it before turning on the A/C. Our bills were ridiculous last summer so we are trying to see if we can cut that by 50-75%. So far the girls have the window A/C at night and we are using a floor fan. I might get a second floor fan for our room or push K to get the swamp cooler in our room. I might just take the blanket and sheet off our bed since we aren't using them.

Working.

Work has finally picked back up to its normal "ball's to the wall" as we say. I'm back to my normal 14-18 hour work days. I'm also a not in recovery workaholic so I'm happy with my 47 hours in three days. I like working 18 hour days. 12-18 working hours is a typical day since 2016. My Russian comrade & I usually have the most hours in the company & I balance the most contracts for a single crew. In 2019 I had 1450 overtime hours.

Today, I was in three high-rises working on three of the 8 office remodeling contracts I'm in charge of completing. 6am-11:15pm. Every chance I get, like waiting & riding elevators, I'm checking & reading H&CL. I'm addicted to this site 😊

I did meet a nice homeless man today in from of the uptown 7/11. He was sitting indian style under a sidewalk tree. If someone strikes me as honestly a good person, like he did, I will help them any way I can. I was about to walk in when he says, "Hey brother, would you buy me some sunflower seeds please?" I said, "Yeah, no problem." I bought him two large bags of sunflower seeds & two packages of mixed nuts." He appreciated them and thanked me.

About 6 hours later I saw him in the same spot, so we said hello again & I asked him if he needed anything else. He replied, "Maybe something to drink?" "What do you like?" "Mt. Dew." he says. "No problem." So, I came back out with 2 Mt. Dews, sunflower seeds & a brownie. Then I started talking to him like a mutual friend when he opened up & showed me why his cardboard sign said, "Please help disable". He showed me his ankles, which were mutilated from being hit by a car at 45mph. Both of his feet are floppy from the leg like something Iv'e never seen before. I mean, I don't know how he stands up? The impact from the car killed him and paramedics brought him back to life. He has rods in his legs & minor, somewhat obvious brain damage. He isn't supposed to be walking. He worked before the accident. After recovery, he became an alcoholic & lost everything.

As homeless as he is, he has been recovering & recently graduated from a local christian drug & alcohol program, Teen Challenge. I am aware of this program because they've come to our church before to let their successful organization be known. The testimonies I heard were amazing.

We chatted for a bit longer, my Russian helper looking at me slightly confused. Then he said, "Before you go, can I pray for you?" I said, "Yes" and we bowed our heads. He said a great prayer over my future like a church deacon would have given. His words spoke to my life & I felt the Holy Spirit! That was the highlight of my day. I hope to see him again. He wouldn't be the first homeless person Iv'e made friends with.

Now its time to get my 3 hours of sleep 😉

This is my 3rd week back to work. It's a lot easier this time around compared to before I quit a year ago due to their stupid mask mandate for employees. There are 3 good workers on the freight team (hand unloading the truck onto the carts that are later rolled out to the floor) and a couple lowlifes just there for the paycheck. I was there 4 1/2 years and worked my butt off and promised myself I would not kill myself this working full pace this time around, and thankfully the other good workers developed this mindset themselves before my return. I work, I do the job right, and I go home, but I do not work hard and even at my relaxed pace I am at least equal to the others if not just a little bit better because I at least try to stack the boxes in some sort of order on the carts so when the boxes are unloaded to the shelves most of them are grouped to be in one area of the aisle to make that chore easier and faster.
Since the heat wave hit the southwest this week I started having my relax time watering the yard at midnight each evening which not only helps me relax it is better for the raised beds and helps the water soak into the dirt and compost better than trying to do that during the heat of the day.
The GF is a flight attendant and out for a 6 day trip so that adds to the quiet time while saving her gas money and commute time compared to the normal 3 day trips the airline assigns so win-win there. I love having her around but I enjoy time to myself too. It's only fair, she gets quiet time in the evenings when she is working.
Went for a 4 wheeler ride this afternoon with my son and on the way back the 4 wheeler began to stumble at anything over half throttle. Fortunately we made it home and it is still running but I fear one of the computer boxes or the stator needs replacing, because this is the same problem I have with the older 4 wheeler that does the same thing. I tried trouble shooting that one a few times but haven't figured it out so it has been parked a few years. Now that the newer one is going bad I might have to bite the bullet and take one to the repair shop to see what they fix, then try that on the other one myself. Just when I was getting caught up on the money train.

Grandkids are visiting for a few days. House is in a semi-controlled chaos. Toys under foot. Demands at random for Grandpa to read another book. Softball games with the bases location defined and changed dependent on the runners slide (SAFE). Infant waking at odd hours demanding to be fed or another rear-end overhaul. Finding half filled water glasses in odd places. Stained tee shirt from a Granddaughter's repeatedly dropped strawberries.

Then they left for long trip back home. We got the house back in order. Still finding water glasses. Ah nice and quiet again!

Hope they come back to visit soon...

Grandkids are visiting for a few days. House is in a semi-controlled chaos. Toys under foot. Demands at random for Grandpa to read another book. Softball games with the bases location defined and changed dependent on the runners slide (SAFE). Infant waking at odd hours demanding to be fed or another rear-end overhaul. Finding half filled water glasses in odd places. Stained tee shirt from a Granddaughter's repeatedly dropped strawberries.

Then they left for long trip back home. We got the house back in order. Still finding water glasses. Ah nice and quiet again!

Hope they come back to visit soon...

Sounds like you had a good time 👍

This morning I got up at 04:30 to do some spreadsheet work for work, took a break and read some posts here... @winds-of-change post about social security got me to thinking about my retirement income plan and what my monthly budget would be (I have the monthly amount from Social Security available) and I have an estimate of what my pension will be... So I looked up the Federal Tax Tables for 2021 and doped it out... The bottom line is my effective Federal tax rate will be under 20%, but when I think of the State taxes being about half of the Federal all the sudden my total effective tax rate jumps to over 20%. So for argument's sake if I was expecting to retire on $4,000, I would actually need to plan on living on less than $3,200 per month. not a lot different but it would not have been a nice surprise. Well my breakfast break is over..... Happy day..

Walked first this morning, then fed dogs.
Set up DH's meds for the month.
Friend came over and helped set up new shelving. I re-arranged shed quite a bit yesterday and finished cleaning and arranging today. It looks pretty good with a little bit to go.
Going to dinner this afternoon. Yesterday was our 31st wedding anniversary. It's a good start!

Friend came over and helped set up new shelving. I re-arranged shed quite a bit yesterday and finished cleaning and arranging today. It looks pretty good with a little bit to go.
Going to dinner this afternoon. Yesterday was our 31st wedding anniversary. It's a good start!
Congrats to you and Hubby Snap :heart:

Not sure where I left off here~ took dads to dinner last weekend. Ah, yes that was it. This week, Tuesday was my dad's birthday. We are very thankful he got to see this one since his "adventure" in the hospital last fall. Wed. (yesterday) was Hubby's 50th! It's sooo much fun teasing him about being old now. Have been working looooong days. Still trying to get things sorted and gone through at home. Have another big box about ready to go to donation. Haven't worked in the garage any this week; doing well to keep up with the house and garden. Tomorrow is supposed to be my day off and it's been commandeered. I've had a couple numb fingers and finally decided it might be in my neck. I went to a chiropractor for the first time yesterday. He's actually a neurologist/chiropractor. That was fascinating. Turned out I had all 4 wheels out of alignment and a bent axel 😂 Have to go back tomorrow. Numbness went away for last night but is back today so thinking he'll have to hammer it back in tomorrow. Also have to get the service rig to the shop, then go pick it up. The good part is I finally found someone who can help me learn how to make a heel in my socks I'm knitting (I'm better at knots than knits). So that's set up for tomorrow afternoon. I think I get Sat. morning at home so that will be nice. Out of town Funeral Sunday.

I got Lowes to modify the kitchen design and quote. I reviewed it and it looks i am good to sign off on it. Picked a treated post and new mail box since the current one is funky in every component. On the way home I picked the shop vac from the remodel place.

The rest of the day was spent verifying design details and reading instructions.

Ben

Getting the last of the laundry done so we have clean clothes to pack for this weekend. The girls laid out their clothes so I can say yes or no before they pack their suitcases.

Got my share of the groceries set out so I can pack them in the morning. Some of it has to go in my cooler like the ribs my dad wants. I figure I'll add the rest to fill the space in the cooler to save space in the car.

The second loaf of bread for my folks is baking in the bread maker right now. The other has cooled, been sliced and bagged. I know toast and sandwiches are on the menu for the weekend so 2 loaves should be enough and give my folks some to enjoy after we leave.

Sorting my seed packets and shopping for more to fill the gaps in my garden plans.

Stayed up way too late waiting for a cousin to come by to borrow an air con window unit we've not used. It was too big for our window. They have an airbnb that is a Santa Fe Boxcar redone, and the air went out last night. They'll be having their unit repaired, but happy to have something for them in the meantime. It's really a neat airbnb, and they are always booked. Housecleaning to do this morning. I'm not sure if my fav cousin and family are coming by late afternoon for tacos and Little House on the Prairie, or if we are bringing by ice cream sundae stuff and popcorn to their place tonight. Both sound weird, I know, but we've been in the 100's and they don't have electricity, so no air con. And they don't have tv, and her granddaughters like Little House on the Prairie. If we go to her house later tonight, I'm sure we'll be having dessert outside because her place is an oven. Depends really on how her husband is doing today, and whether or not he feels like going out at all. But housecleaning needs to happen anyway. I'm sending the twins out pretty quick here to continue the garden weeding project we worked on yesterday. After 1030 it's too hot to be in full sun today. Dog is better after vet yesterday, got some eardrops and good pink goo that works as a fly deterrant on the ears.
Happy anniversary, Snappy and Mr Snappy!

Today should be a busy one. I am off (took leave). We are finishing painting all the window frames in the Bedroom so I can hang the new curtains the wife made, needs to be all done by dark.

I am trying to do some more weeding and work in the garden. A little bit of carpentry and reorganizing to help get another raised bed going.

Then the son is coming in the evening, the plan is he will cook tonight (not always the best, he uses too high a heat). Mrs. UH has a pot of baked beans on, she hopes to make a tub of potato salad and prep some baby back ribs; but she was sick again last night so things may change.

Deflated, folded and packed the air mattresses in the small spare bedroom. Move the twin bed frame, box springs and mattress from the big spare bedroom to the small bedroom. Carry wife’s “product” from the basement up two flights of stairs so she can refill the spare bedrooms.

Wife is sad because I told her “no” to the portable clothes rack. She has 2 3/4 closets full now, she doesn’t “need” another rack. Disassemble the portable clothes rack so it will fit in the car. It will be donated to the local resell shop.

Congrats Snappy and Mr. Snappy.

When it rains it pours figurely.
It's hot and dry here.
Dad's house sold.
He has to move in less than 15 days.
Middle Sister is in from Texas.
She didn't know he put the house up for sale.
So she's upset. Big deal blah!
She's having a hard dealing with reality.
She hasn't been back to Missouri since Mom died.
Not once even though Dad asked her to come back for a visit.
Try living here all the time, while he goes wishy washy all the dang time.
So I'm not sympathetic towards her.
Estelle's mom has had surgery.
Don't ask me I don't know why.
All I know I'm trying to juggle dad's needs to find new place, grand daughter's needs.
And Tuesday my ex in laws and ex husband are coming in for a visit.
And they will be here for 10-12 days.
Yes, indeed when it rains, it pours.
But the good news is I've lost 7 pounds, also don't know how.
Too hot to eat much.
But drinking lots of water and unsweet tea.
Garden looks good.
Grand daughter and I found 5 maybe tiny carrots in the whiskey barrel.
She planted 5 packs of seeds, but they were 6 years old.
I'll be here when I can.
Have a good day.

Health APP indicates I walked up 43 flights of floors carrying wife's "product". Now she's carrying in "product" temporarily stored in "my" garage. She has problems with stairs so it falls on me to carry it up to the second floor. Told her this is the last time I'd be able to do this (I'm going to stop enabling her).

Finished clearing all the grass and weeds out of the old play ground area. Loosened it up with the tractor bucket and then raked it out.

Started cutting the sidewalls out of a bunch of old tires that I think, were part of the old playground when this place was still a school. I am going to use the rings I created to hold the pea gravel away from the fruit trees I am planting, and adding soil to the inside around the trees.

Congrats to the Snappy's folks. Also to Terri for that sweet stove. Mo I pray things smooth out for you. You got too much going on.

Wild week at work, but got one project finished and another close to winding up, two others mostly done and waiting on other folks to finish their part so we can finish ours. Found out boss is pushing to get me another tech, which would be a huge help and allow a lot more cross training over the next year. I've got 2 folks that could retire today. I don't think either will leave until Dec 22, but you never know. Gotta get folks up to speed to cover them right now.
Got a lot done in the garden this week. More to do this weekend. But that won't be done before cold weather.

Good morning!

Did video first as we are getting rain from tropical storm. Not much. We are way to the West of the cone now. Yay!
I finally decided no garden until Fall. The guy still hadn't made it to till it up as of Thursday.
My friend gave me a case of grapefruit juice which I will use to make Grapefruit jelly.
He also gave me a bunch of summer type squashes which I will make Orange Soup from, maybe PC some. I will have to see how much I get. To the squash I will add some mashed Butternut that I grew, mashed and froze last year, canned carrots from the year before, and onions and garlic. I have one of those hand blenders that should work great once it is cooked up.--When I find it.
So not having a garden this year hopefully won't slow me down too much.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Dragging here, too. Trying to adjust the eating/no light on schedule for the guinea fowl in the brooder in the dining room, and realized last night when they were fed and I turned off the heat lamp for good, that by 11 pm they hadn't touched food. So on the lights went, and they chirped most of the night, all 27 of them. So am starting this morning no light, they are filling up during natural light and the light stays off. Heatwave here, and I don't need heatlamps adding to our too high electric bill. That being said, we will be buying the car battery operated fans that my cousins use. We have the solar setup for recharging the batteries already. Air con is very $$.
Tired from weeding the garden. Twins are both at work. Cousin harvested wheat last week, so his boys brought in 8 huge wagon loads of baled straw this morning to store in our roundtop. At o dark thirty ha. Husband accidentally drove over little granddaughter's bike with the truck this morning and owes her a new one. I'm going to work on onions in the dehydrator.

Well, I couldn't type much yesterday because all of the drops the eye-doctor put in my eyes, so this is yesterday's.
My eyes have changed a lot so I needed new glasses.🤓
Insurance paid for the exam but when it came to getting the glasses, the girl told me insurance doesn't cover that :(.
They do, but only about $40 for el-cheapo frames with simple lenses.
(Translation: We're not even going to fool with that:rolleyes:)
1 pair of glasses that meet my 'specs' (pun) $754.
For everything else, there's MasterCard® :thumbs:.
Since I get 4-5 years out of them, it isn't that bad when you consider the ¢'s per hour wearing them all day, every day.
I filled out so many pages of paperwork before the appointment, I also figured out how they make money.
On the way out I got papers on where to go for a sleep-study, and where to go for hearing tests, (that they get kickbacks from for referrals).

I just wanted a dang pair of glasses!:mad:
(This is not a rant, it only sounds like one😉)

Last edited:
I installed a new mail box and post yesterday since The Princess declared that an emergency. I tried out the new foam stuff instead using concrete to set the post. I will probably use it again for non structural projects. It can be real handy for the gape arbors I dream to install on the ridge one day. It will save me having to haul water up the hill to mix the concrete.

I then attacked the air duct with my shop vac to clear all of rhe tinder. Finished the cutting that started the fire without incident. The hole is now covered with duct tape until I find the opportunity to assemble the ducts to the second floor. I want to do that in one afternoon so i dont have to endure a night or more of no AC to the bedroom.

The Princess came with me today to get her input on the counter tops we order for LLC#1 kitchen. She selected a version of quartz that was actually cheaper than the granite stuff I had guessed at. After signing a lot of contracts and disclaimers I let her pick out a new trash can. She remembered the Christmas when her father put a bow on a trash can and gave it to her mother. I pointed it it is actually Junetenth today so the tradition lives on.

The Princess has a late night project tonight that will keep her up late so she is trying to take a nap while am getting caught up with HCL and some machining videos from Youtube.

Behave

Ben

I’ve been on the go here too trying to get things done before this time of day when we just melt. I picked and washed broccoli- need to get it blanched and in the freezer. Picked a basket of peas. So far about 4 pints shelled. Have been watering all day trying to get things good and soaked. Stained one side of big weird project. It’s too hot to stand out in the heat so will do other side in the morning. Got spuds heaped and remulched a narrow bed along one side of the house. Mowed the lawn and now I’m sitting on my behind.

Back