What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were you able to get anti-anxiety meds for your puppers before last night?
No, I wasn't but we were in bed when they started and they didn't seem to bother them at all. Thunder is the real danger according to Oreo!

Everything on my list is done except grilling out.
I got 7 quarts of Bell peppers and onions, dry packed and pressure canned. Plus about a pint in the freezer.

Yesterday started with some consulting with my siblings how to deal with the neighborhood Karen (see rant thread) and then the granddaughters arrived.

Had the eldest read the declaration and we talked about how it was structured around God given rights and the purpose of government to protect those rights.

Then I let her prune the apple tree that was starting to encroach on the front deck where I run the grill. She is fascinated with the pruning shears and has a good eye for pruning.

Then she gathered all of the ripe raspberries and sampled some grapes that are quite ready yet.

We fired up the grill and did hamburgers, dogs and kielbasa. The Princess used the second kitchen to cook the corn on the cob which well to prevent the humidity from the boiling water heating up the kitchen.

After the kids departed The Princess and I settled in to finish a movie we had started (The Great Race). Then the fireworks started and I could feel the percussion of fire work in the neighborhood. We moved out onto the front deck to watch and it sounded like a war zone. We had never seen so many people setting them off in all directions.

The Princess headed out this morning for a few days in the cottage on lake Chautauqua and left me home alone and unsupervised. I have plans to be as unproductive as possible.

Ben

We've encountered some not so bright folks in the last couple days. Yesterday drove to Yakima, WA for the trailer. While there, we had to run into a True Value. We were checking out and another clerk asked the clerk who was helping us if they sold soil amendment. It was a lady 60-70 asking for it. They couldn't find a bag that said "soil amendment" on it. Hubby and I left. When we were in the parking lot, he said "you wanted to say it didn't you?" We both laughed. I kept my mouth shut. I get tired of trying to explain to idiots.
Today we drove to Lewiston, Idaho for apricots. The fella said they should be ready about today. I contacted him Sat. to verify they were looking ripe. We arrived today to mostly green apricots. I wanted to ask if he took a bite of one. He was "nice" but. . . It's about a 2 hr. drive. We were about 1/2 hr. on our way home and someone started a fire so the road was closed. The 2 hr. trip home turned into 4 hrs. due to alternate route. People are sooo strange.

Yesterday and today walked first, then helped a friend and will do the same today. Today is my Birthday and am still amazed that I've made it this far (64) as my mom passed at 47.

Hope you all have a great Independence Day!

They are for DH and I both for several days. We just re-heat in microwave. Eggs are mixed with turkey sausage and bell peppers and onions.
Happy belated Birthday!

A tree on my property line fell last winter. I took it till now to shift into its final rotting place. Bottom of main trunk is a foot away from one of my driveways pointing right at anyone that uses the driveway. Chained sawed it back to the property line. While I had the chainsaw out I trimmed a few other tree branches by the same driveway.

Wife wanted "help" weeding a long neglected flowerbed. She wanted me to thin out the iris flowers but couldn't decided on how many to take out. She stood there and watched me take out about half. Then she was disappointed I took out so many and decided I should go ahead and take them all out. By the time "we" where done there was only one flower plant left. My suggestion of replanting the remaining plant to a different place and plant flowerbed with grass seen was met with a disdained look.

Mixed up a batch of Roundup and sprayed weeds. I did so well without wife's supervision I mixed a second patch and sprayed more! 😁

Finally got ahead of the tree branches and debris the winds have been planting on the yards and got it all picked up. Mowed the yards.
Believed you up until the part about doing well without the wife's supervision --- as a wife I'm not sure that's right.😁 Lol

We've encountered some not so bright folks in the last couple days. Yesterday drove to Yakima, WA for the trailer. While there, we had to run into a True Value. We were checking out and another clerk asked the clerk who was helping us if they sold soil amendment. It was a lady 60-70 asking for it. They couldn't find a bag that said "soil amendment" on it. Hubby and I left. When we were in the parking lot, he said "you wanted to say it didn't you?" We both laughed. I kept my mouth shut. I get tired of trying to explain to idiots.
Today we drove to Lewiston, Idaho for apricots. The fella said they should be ready about today. I contacted him Sat. to verify they were looking ripe. We arrived today to mostly green apricots. I wanted to ask if he took a bite of one. He was "nice" but. . . It's about a 2 hr. drive. We were about 1/2 hr. on our way home and someone started a fire so the road was closed. The 2 hr. trip home turned into 4 hrs. due to alternate route. People are sooo strange.
Lots of 'em out there!

Trying to catch up. Computer crashed on me and I had to reset a bunch of stuff.

Saturday I took Mom to the grocery store. Then my cousin and some of her family drove from TX to Lafayette to visit my cousin's ex- father-in-law. Her oldest daughter just got married & wanted to see him and introduce him to her husband. We were invited to drive over and meet them-- almost 2 hrs away.

Sunday was a sad day. My elderly friend who was like a grandmother to me passed away. She was closer to us than my grandparents ever were. Would have made it to 97 this month if she had survived long enough. Her son sadly informed us that all of her other friends have passed away & she had no one but family left. And we were considered family.

Hot as hell out here so the cats are staying inside in the air conditioning. Too hot for me to go out.

Sorry I haven't commented on other posts. It's a lot to read through.

Wife' been bugging me to get our 1,100 black poly tank up hill so I finally moved vehicles around and with the help of a friend got it loaded into the pickup, tied it down, drove over to the neighbors property on the east side, backed it up along the fence and dumped it on to our property where there is a straight clear shot to drag it to the west to a point where we can drag it up along side of the existing 1,100 gallon concrete cistern. I was a bit concerned that there might be a rattlesnake under the tank where I wanted to lift it on it's side to roll to the truck, turns out there was a snake underneath, it was just a small garter snake. This time of year and temps above 80, it would not surprise me to run across a rattler. Anyway, I have to dig out a flat spot and dig down to the existing water pipes coming from the concrete cistern and I'm going to get rid of the gate valves and install PVC ball valves, over the years I've had nothing but problem with gate valves, they tend to rust and accumulate particles in the slot where the gate closes off and sometimes the gate falls off the stem. Anyway, it feels good to get something done in all this heat.

Yesterday started with some consulting with my siblings how to deal with the neighborhood Karen (see rant thread) and then the granddaughters arrived.

Had the eldest read the declaration and we talked about how it was structured around God given rights and the purpose of government to protect those rights.

Then I let her prune the apple tree that was starting to encroach on the front deck where I run the grill. She is fascinated with the pruning shears and has a good eye for pruning.

Then she gathered all of the ripe raspberries and sampled some grapes that are quite ready yet.

We fired up the grill and did hamburgers, dogs and kielbasa. The Princess used the second kitchen to cook the corn on the cob which well to prevent the humidity from the boiling water heating up the kitchen.

After the kids departed The Princess and I settled in to finish a movie we had started (The Great Race). Then the fireworks started and I could feel the percussion of fire work in the neighborhood. We moved out onto the front deck to watch and it sounded like a war zone. We had never seen so many people setting them off in all directions.

The Princess headed out this morning for a few days in the cottage on lake Chautauqua and left me home alone and unsupervised. I have plans to be as unproductive as possible.

Ben

Sounds like she's heading to our area. Any particular end of the lake? Last year there were a lot less tourists here but this year its crazy busy.

Installed the bedroom door today. Dang, that is a slow process by yourself. Needed to shim about 1" so cut some 3/4" boards to fit and screwed them to the stud even with each hinge, BUT, my brain was asleep and I mounted them 1/2" past flush thinking I would align the door jam and make it easy but I forgot the wood finish I am putting on the wall needs to butt up against the door jam. I didn't notice this error until I was (supposedly) done with the install and with the screws for those boards behind the door jam I had to cut them back to flush with the wall. Fortunately my oscillating trimmer made this correction less difficult. But, the door is aligned properly and opens and closes with ease.
Drywall tomorrow and that will get me far enough to install a couple more doors the next day. Fortunately now I reminded myself of the right way to hand the doors.

No internet at home for a couple of days. Needs to be paid, but it should be back this afternoon. It was actually nice being without it at home for a day and a half. I read a lot!

Woke up and watered the plants. One of the toilet is clogged, so that needs taken care of. I'll be going to the hardware store to look at prices for some tools. The brick BBQ is taking forever because i can't make it to the land all that often, so it's at a standstill for the moment. But I want to get the trellis going, at least.

I'll be updating clients with the design progress.

Then i have a late class at 5.30pm. And nothing else major planned.

....also I had coffee. Mistake...just one cup and I'm twitchy as hell.

I had some plans for this evening. Those plans somehow turned into a nap. In a little bit I'm going to resume that nap and hopefully quit napping around 7am tomorrow...😁
My nap lasted until 0724 this morning. Going to pick up the kid from her mother's at 0815. Then she goes back to her mom at 1530 for a pool party with some cousins who are visiting from out of state, and back to me sometime after supper. Kind of a pain, but it wouldn't be right to make her miss out on seeing her cousins that she only sees once or twice a year. I'm not sure what we'll do while we're together today. I do know that it will probably involve ice cream...😁

Sounds like she's heading to our area. Any particular end of the lake? Last year there were a lot less tourists here but this year its crazy busy.
5 minute walk south of the amusement park. She spent her summers working the bar under the roller skating rink.

Her grandfather built the cottage from a kit back when you could buy house kits in Sears catalogs about 120 years ago. They used to take the boat across the lake for Sunday services at the institute.

Near you?

Ben

Installed the bedroom door today. Dang, that is a slow process by yourself. Needed to shim about 1" so cut some 3/4" boards to fit and screwed them to the stud even with each hinge, BUT, my brain was asleep and I mounted them 1/2" past flush thinking I would align the door jam and make it easy but I forgot the wood finish I am putting on the wall needs to butt up against the door jam. I didn't notice this error until I was (supposedly) done with the install and with the screws for those boards behind the door jam I had to cut them back to flush with the wall. Fortunately my oscillating trimmer made this correction less difficult. But, the door is aligned properly and opens and closes with ease.
Drywall tomorrow and that will get me far enough to install a couple more doors the next day. Fortunately now I reminded myself of the right way to hand the doors.
My buddy and I schedule our projects based on who will be using my oscillating tool.

Ben

Walked first and fed and walked dogs.
put away dehydrated sweet potato treats from yesterday.
Labeled PC'd bell peppers and onions and put away.
Had family come visit. I took my sister in law to a huge flea market one town over. We had fun and I got a $5 breadmaker. Hope it works, mostly for making dough. Got DH a small Birthday present, too.
I think that's about it today.

Trying to catch up. Computer crashed on me and I had to reset a bunch of stuff.

Saturday I took Mom to the grocery store. Then my cousin and some of her family drove from TX to Lafayette to visit my cousin's ex- father-in-law. Her oldest daughter just got married & wanted to see him and introduce him to her husband. We were invited to drive over and meet them-- almost 2 hrs away.

Sunday was a sad day. My elderly friend who was like a grandmother to me passed away. She was closer to us than my grandparents ever were. Would have made it to 97 this month if she had survived long enough. Her son sadly informed us that all of her other friends have passed away & she had no one but family left. And we were considered family.

Hot as hell out here so the cats are staying inside in the air conditioning. Too hot for me to go out.

Sorry I haven't commented on other posts. It's a lot to read through.
Sorry to hear about your 'grandmother', much sympathy!

Walked first and fed and walked dogs.
put away dehydrated sweet potato treats from yesterday.
Labeled PC'd bell peppers and onions and put away.
Had family come visit. I took my sister in law to a huge flea market one town over. We had fun and I got a $5 breadmaker. Hope it works, mostly for making dough. Got DH a small Birthday present, too.
I think that's about it today.
I can't remember if I wished you Happy Birthday Snap - if not I'm sure there's a big ol' slice of calorie free cake with your name on it. 🍰 I bet your pantry is beautiful. Not sure if you can post pix, but would love to see it.
My nap lasted until 0724 this morning. Going to pick up the kid from her mother's at 0815. Then she goes back to her mom at 1530 for a pool party with some cousins who are visiting from out of state, and back to me sometime after supper. Kind of a pain, but it wouldn't be right to make her miss out on seeing her cousins that she only sees once or twice a year. I'm not sure what we'll do while we're together today. I do know that it will probably involve ice cream...😁
Since she was entertained w/ Jaws, you might introduce her to Godzilla and/or King Kong :cool: They are cool!

Well, cleared out stuff stored in the bedroom closet to prepare for drywall and noticed the wiring for lights and outlets. Took me an hour to figure out where 3 of the wires led to, including a trip to the attic. Apparently the power for the lights also goes to a few outlets in an area required by code but not where anything other than a vacuum may be plugged into. Everything is now identified with a black marker so future efforts will be easily identified. While I was at it I installed outlets and switches in areas already drywalled.
Sooooo, drywall tomorrow. In theory.

My buddy and I schedule our projects based on who will be using my oscillating tool.

Ben
I bought it a couple weeks ago before installing the drywall by the stairs because a video showed one being used to make small cuts for proper fit while holding the drywall in place. It's just a cheap Harbor Freight model but I am surprised at how well it works and how useful it really is. It wont be used often when the house gets done but it will come in handy I am sure.

Went to breakfast at Kay's Kitchen...omg...eggs , sausage, biscuits and gravy, home fries, and a pit if coffee.
Then WM for some cantaloupe and watermelon.

Then rested for a while , then split and stacked firewood.
Then moved some flickering solar post lamps to front porch . Wife loves them , cause they look like flames at night.

Checked my maters ..soon will have fresh mater.
Picked 4 cukes, banana peppers. Tomorrow will pick at least a gallon of blackberries.

Time to rest now

Jim

Picked a few cherry tomatoes from my garden. They were pretty good. Today I shopped for ingredients fir a casserole for ‘dinner Bible study’ tomorrow at church. I’m going to make a spaghetti casserole.
mover the weekend I bought tickets to see Gabriel Iglesias when he comes to Tulsa in August. Birthday present for hubby. His birthday is August 2.

I bought it a couple weeks ago before installing the drywall by the stairs because a video showed one being used to make small cuts for proper fit while holding the drywall in place. It's just a cheap Harbor Freight model but I am surprised at how well it works and how useful it really is. It wont be used often when the house gets done but it will come in handy I am sure.
I bought mine from Harbor Freight as well, it's done an amazing amount of work for me and it's an indispensable tool that often replaces the use of a hammer and wood chisel.

I bought mine from Harbor Freight as well, it's done an amazing amount of work for me and it's an indispensable tool that often replaces the use of a hammer and wood chisel.
The only complaint I have is that it gets warm/hot so I am guessing the motor isn't very efficient but for the quick use on small projects I wont complain. If I used one often and for large jobs I would have paid more but for me it wasn't worth triple the price.

Yeah, the blade head gets hot on big jobs, I've had to take a few breaks on a big job I had cutting out the 1/2" particle board in the kitchen and bathroom floors to replace it with good 1/2" plywood. I'm amazed that the tool still runs as good as new after all the work it did and as hot as it got. Years ago we bought a Harbor Freight 12" miter saw, when I was adding an addition to our home, I couldn't see spending big bucks for some of the big name saws that were sometimes four or more times the cost, when I figured I wouldn't be doing much more building, the saw still was working good when I built a 12' X 26' sunroom on the west side of our home. The saw is cheap but with a little body English done to angle settings it's done a pretty good job, it was also used when I built the 3/4 surrounding deck, so it's more than paid for the work its done. My main complaint of that saw is that it had no adjustment for kerf, which I suspect that more expensive brands have. In the end, it's more than paid for itself in the work it's done for me and it still has more work for me in door jamb moldings and other projects my DW has in mind for me to do.

Picked a few cherry tomatoes from my garden. They were pretty good. Today I shopped for ingredients fir a casserole for ‘dinner Bible study’ tomorrow at church. I’m going to make a spaghetti casserole.
mover the weekend I bought tickets to see Gabriel Iglesias when he comes to Tulsa in August. Birthday present for hubby. His birthday is August 2.
Awesome! ❤️GI. Also ❤️casseroles and happy b-day hubby.😊

This afternoon I got a call from the sales lady at the local Toyota dealer. They got a new Tacoma 4x4 in today and she knew I was interested. So, I made the 50 mile drive over there to see it. Long story short, tomorrow I will be bringing it home. And I won't have to borrow a dime! Car dealers are so desperate for used cars right now that they gave me 3,000 over NADA book value for my car, and I have just enough cash saved up to cover the rest. If you're looking for a brand new vehicle, now is the time to buy. The value of your trade in is going up faster than the price for new vehicles.

Back