What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to visit my old friend Doc today.
He will give me my 2nd B12 shot (once a week for 4 weeks , then twice a month for 2 months).my pulse rate is now in the mid 50s , instead of low 40s.

I trade him some blackberries.😊
Plus ,I'll be taking him for Chicago hot dogs for lunch.
His (and mine) favorite.

It's an all day thing.

Jim

Unfortunately right now isn't a good time to buy. It is a very good time to sell! Youngest son put their self-remodeled home on the market. They had 5 offers ALL above their asking price within a few days.
It's nuts in the real estate market. A friend put his house on the market last week and sold it for more than he asked, in four hours. It sold so fast he didn't even have a new place to stay lined up yet...

I think we all need to beware right now. When stuff like this happens, it makes me think that a big crash is right around the corner. I think it's a good time to make sure our economic ducks are in a row and our debts are paid off...

Nice truck @Spikedriver !
I hope you get your dad's living situation figured out soon @MoBookworm1957 !

Walked first and walked dogs.
Labeled and put away recently canned goods.
Got tomato cages on tomatoes in lick tubs.
Pruned back some trees in yard.
Will do some eBay photos and then take it easy today.
Company probably coming tomorrow!
Picked up half gallons of milk today to PC. .88 each. Because I didn't have enough to do apparently. LOL

Last edited:
No, but my sis has a timeshare there. We went there once a long time ago. I remember the jellyfish in the water, and the Ripley's Believe it or Not place. I'm a sucker for those places. Have fun fishing.
Everyone around here likes to go to Texhoma lake and catch their limit of Stripers in 10 minutes. I'm not a fish eater.
Spent the morning in the garden. Found a few squash bugs, but not too bad, and a few eggy leaves I disposed of. Spread out more food grade DE on the ground. Got the last 20 lbs of it at our Tractor S in the bigger town, so that'll last me through next season. Finishing some coffee, husband was up every couple of hours last night, so very little sleep here. After I get my second wind, we'll go visit my favorite cousin.
Then time to unload the dehydrators and reload them again. Today's reloading will be sage in one, and squash in the other.

I was back to the remodel house to clear a path for when the kitchen cabinets are delivered.

20210708_150420.jpg

20210708_154124.jpg

I hope they will fit along the wall in the master bedroom.

20210708_154137.jpg

On the way home I stopped to inspect the erosion due to Karen's landscaping efforts.

20210708_162139.jpg

All of that dirt hillside was covered wit leaves etc. last week. We put in extensive french drains at the bottom of hill a couple of years ago but those will be overwhelmed if the erosion continues.

20210708_162147.jpg

The worst of the water comes over the berm at the base of of one of the fence posts she had installed earlier this year. Talking to my sister and brother we are willing to let preserving the fence be motivation to Karen to fix the drainage problem. If she ignores it the fence will collapse onto my property.

I did manage collect hand tools that have been off on special assignments so I restocked old tool box.

20210708_165655.jpg

I feel whole again.

Doing just enough to keep George Bernhard Shaw at bay.

Ben

It was a long day. My client found a promotion on tiles that ends on Saturday and he wants to take advantage of it. I don't blame him. They're great quality but man, they're expensive.
That just means that the work that would have taken me 10 to 14 days has to be done for tomorrow, cuz we're getting the tiles then.

No sleep for me. A little throwback Thursday to college days. I'm going to be oh so very cranky tomorrow, but will try my best to be patient and most of all....silent.

I was able to get a nap earlier.

It's 11.22pm for me. Yup. Long night coming. Woohoo!

Drywall yesterday, I had to work on an old trailer I got free last fall. I had already replaced the bearings, hubs and wheels but it had a 1 7/8" ball coupler so i cut that off and welded on the 2" coupler. Now I can use it to pick up the last batch of drywall. Took longer than expected, tonight after work I will install the new trailer lights.

Had trouble sleeping last night bc I have kidney stones on both sides. One on the left is worse. But my right shoulder is still sore. So I couldn't sleep on my left side bc of my kidney stone, couldn't sleep on my right bc of my shoulder, and wasn't even comfortable on my back because it was hurting both sides. Rough night.

Went to an outdoor funeral this afternoon, reception indoors at a small diner. Visited a friend afterward. Grabbed mail and headed back home. I could barely move because my lower back is sore from the kidney stones. Friend has had bad stones before so he empathized. He had to help me stand back up from his couch.

Rained a bit this afternoon. Resting for now and hoping these stones will pass soon.

Took the new truck down to The Ledges State Park and went blasting through the creek a few times just for fun. What good is having a truck if you don't do any truck stuff with it, right?😁 The second time around I put my daughter in the back and got her soaked.

After supper (tacos and ice cream) we went out to the county park lake and tried fishing without much luck. It was a gorgeous evening, 70° and no wind, so it was worth the trip just to be outdoors at the lake. All in all, it was a good day...

As a free service I put a spec sheet together, received cost estimates and passed everything on to the "customer". I had previously questioned the "customer" in different ways so what they said they wanted and what I heard, is what I understood they wanted. An hour after I emailed the info to the "customer" I get a reply. This is NOT what they were interested in ,could we do a person-to-person meeting before the weekend? No good deed goes unpunished. :(

Meanwhile I put the finishing touches for my recommendations for communications equipment for another customer. I meet with them in person this afternoon. Notice no quotes around the word customer? This one pays. :)

Last edited:
Good morning!
Company has to reschedule due to a knee injury yesterday.
So will walk first.
Do some eBay photos for DH and then some eBay drafts to help out.
Later will make the Spaghetti Pie that was for company (plus a small one) and freeze the big one.
There is an Estate sale I might get to.
Put away PC'd milk from yesterday and relax.

Getting caught up on chores and cleaning house.

Roo is knitting a scarf on a small loom and Juju is begging to try. I couldn't find my knitting spool so I ordered a new one so she can learn too. I Intend to teach Roo to knit on needles next. This school year the girls will work on weaving on a small table loom and other needle/fiber arts.

Sold some more junk from my garage last night. A 'woke' preschool teacher bought the waldorf wood dollhouse the girls outgrew. I was about to list it on ebay as they are selling for triple what I paid for it. I got my money back and that is all that matters. Now to sell the play kitchen.

I'll be back to baking bread next week as we had too much to catch up on. Glad I mad pizza dough in the freezer for our family night tonight.

We had been helping sponsor a bike in the 1960 and older Cannonball race. The riders nor anyone but the promoters know where the race will end up every evening. Well today it ended up just 7 miles from our home. I got word 30 minutes before they arrived in Branson. The boy and I headed out to meet the crew as the rolled into The Chateau On The Lake. The rider we have been sponsoring is on a 1939 knuckle there was close to 100 vintage bikes that had come around 250 miles on the first day of the the 1350 mile race. I love vintage motorcycles and there were some fantastic machines there this evening. I couldn’t believe how lucky we were to get to be involved in this fun!
I'll have to find a picture that my dad had showing Harley's and Indians from a gypsy tour he may have been on, he didn't have a bike, rode behind someone. I think the picture was taken at Long Beach, CA, don't know the exact year but it was many years ago, anyway I'll try and post that pic and you'll see the date on the license plates, hope I find it as there were bikes parked up and down the street.

Made appt for eye checkup then off to get the repaired lawn mower. They indicated water in the gas was the problem. Looks like there may be a crack in the top of the gas can used for the mower. Found another one ane fetched good gas for The Princess.

Loaded a couple dozen florescent bulbs in the Jeep for hazardous waste day tomorrow. Played in the shop and then cleaned up the garlic that has been curing and left them as surprise for The Princess to fine.

Reviewing a book that I was recomended that was delivered today.

Then beer The Princess and a sunset on the front porch.

Ben

Bad luck Lucky.

I should write a simi fiction story because this is the way my luck often runs.

Just a little while ago I went up to feed. Savannah did it for me this morning, I just couldn't breathe out there, still isn't easy with 98% humidity at 80F. Anyway I got up there and she had left the tarp half off the hay and the storm had collapsed my make do dry feed storage roof. That about covers the bad luck. Well the good luck was it collapsed in such a way the feed stayed dry. Things like this happen to me all the time. Bad luck that could have been so much worse. I just finished putting the "roof" back up. It's a cattle panel hooped over with an old 8x8 roll up garage door over it. That was enough work to soak me through.

Welp...

While my daughter were shopping in another town 25 miles away, a huge storm cell came through and blasted my little town. The hail was golf ball to baseball sized. Took the kitchen window out of my apartment and now my old SUV looks like a golf ball. We'll have to see if it's totalled or not. Luckily I had the new truck out of town!

I went to Kalamath Falls Oregon after a huge hail storm back in the 80s. Every vehicle was beaten to death. No windows in most of them. Roofs were destroyed and crops were a total loss.
My wife had a rock hit the windshield today in her new Toyota. She is not happy with that big rock chip. It may be too big to fix without a total replacement.

Slept in late and woke up tired. Took the day off the home work projects but still had to go to the part time money job. A couple B-12 helped me through that effort. Came home and opened the garage to let the hot air out and the (almost) cool air in and did about 10 minutes work on the old trailer connecting the ground wire for the trailer lights. Took me 8 minutes to find a piece of wire to extend the supplied ground wire. Really, who can run an 8" wiring connection from the trailer to the vehicle? All the other wires are at least 5 feet too long but the supplied ground wire is only about 12" long. Cheap scum bags.
We had about 50 raindrops today so the flying bugs, that resemble large flying ants, came out of the ground and started swarming the lights. They usually surface after a real rain but for some reason they were out tonight. Sprayed the areas around the back door because the kids left the back light on. 20 minutes in the garage with the door open brought several dozen inside the garage so after working I had to turn off the garage lights, turn on the front porch light and let them work their way outside again before closing the garage door. I don't think they hurt anything but they are annoying.
GF comes home from work tomorrow afternoon after a 6 day trip flying. I should have my chores for the day done when she gets home so hoping for some relaxing time. after that.
I just wish it would really rain, even if only for half an hour.

Today looks good. Taking care of mah bebehs (the veggies), working from home on the bathroom designs and refining them.

I'll head to the carpenter next door and see what he can do for the trellis I have in mind.
Then I need to get to some hooks for the trays and pots.

Got 1" of rain overnight.
Good for the pond.
Grass just keeps growing.😟

Found a "for sale by owner" older , updated , farm house for sale , about 3 miles from me.
It's isolated on 1 acre . I liked the outside. Called the owner. 26x36' shop also.
Going to look at it later today.
l3489de42-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

$95k.asking .
New HVAC, plumbing, electrical. 3 be, 1 1/2 ba, LR, Kitchen, Dining room.

Jim

Got 1" of rain overnight.
Good for the pond.
Grass just keeps growing.😟

Found a "for sale by owner" older , updated , farm house for sale , about 3 miles from me.
It's isolated on 1 acre . I liked the outside. Called the owner. 26x36' shop also.
Going to look at it later today.
View attachment 69270
$95k.asking .
New HVAC, plumbing, electrical. 3 be, 1 1/2 ba, LR, Kitchen, Dining room.

Jim
Jim, that looks perfect! You still have a porch and some lawn to mow and keep green, just a lot less to maintain - yahoo!!!!

That looks like a lovely farm house, Jim!

Walked first this morning and walked dogs.
Made pudding for DH.
I was going to dig up some dead rose bushes but it just started raining, so that will wait.
Will do eBay drafts in a bit.
Maybe hit an Estate sale a bit later.

Latest posts

Back