What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mom's bedroom doorknob broke from the inside. Something stripped inside the mechanism. Knob would turn but latch wouldn't budge. I had to open the door from the outside so she wasn't trapped. Then had to go get a new knob and install it. Arm is really aching all the way down to my wrist so I'm going to take some naproxyn & try to get more sleep.

I've got a bit of pride today. I just found out that my home county where I was born and raised has declared itself a Second Amendment sanctuary. It is the second such county in Iowa to do so. The county supervisors vote was unanimous. I know some of them, and I figured they would be on top of this issue. Now I'm hoping the county where I currently reside will follow suit...
Our town with a four way stop declared unanimously to be a sanctuary city and no abortions in city. We have no doctor here or hospital. Hopefully the county will follow suit.

Walked first.
Went to Walmart for a couple of things.
Thrift stores--Got 51 canning jars for 25.00. Good enough! Some pints and some quarts.
Went up to Church to help clean up after a fund raiser.
Found out that Vacation Bible School is postponed or cancelled because the youth group went to a camp and were exposed to someone who tested positive for covid. Kids are quarantined. That frees up a lot of time for me next week, so we will see what I find to do!

I spent a wonderful day in the garden weeding and harvesting what I could find.

20210722_172901.jpg

See the garden 2021 thread for more info on what I found.

Tomorrow I plan to finish weeding the raised bed with Paw Paw trees and then detangle the morning glories that have taken over the bed with the sugar maple trees. They will girdle the trees if I dont take action. If I complete that I am going to try some air layering.

Ben

I spent a wonderful day in the garden weeding and harvesting what I could find.

20210722_172901.jpg
That does look good. However, I might suggest that you plant a breath mint tree in combination for future harvests.

Oh wait. One mint bush will spread to 17 acres over night, so don't do that. Just stay away from visitors on onion dinner days.

That does look good. However, I might suggest that you plant a breath mint tree in combination for future harvests.

Oh wait. One mint bush will spread to 17 acres over night, so don't do that. Just stay away from visitors on onion dinner days.
The Princess has mint growing in the front yard. A guy I used to work with was giddy when he havested a half gallon bag of it to make mint julips.

By the way...

The Princess makes an onion casserole that is like candy.

Ben

I love sauteed/caramelized onions with anything. Raw ones on hamburgers and in salads. Grilled ones with steaks.

Carmelize a big pile of onions

20210703_145520.jpg

Then place in a casserole dish and cover that with (some kind of white ) cheese and bake.

Better than the best French onion soup I have ever had.

Ben

Tonight we had burgers and corn on the grill, the wife made homemade buns to go with it....

Then I was able to put up the rest of her curtains, it has been a long haul, but she has finally finished the window treatments in the Master bedroom.

I received a book in the mail, 11th edition Hornady Handbook, got some light reading to do...

I was hoping to harvest tomatoes tonight, but it looks like I lost the light....

Did you ever have something happen that was so dumb that you had to chuckle, even though you're really mad?

So I was trying to load mine and my daughter's bikes in the back of my new truck. At some point, my handlebars got turned around backwards. A little piece of the frame that holds the front brake line suddenly broke, the front wheel suddenly turned, I lost my grip, the bike fell over the edge of the bed, and put a big scratch in my trucks paint. I was mad as hell at the bike and myself and I picked it up and threw it about 10 feet and threw my hat at it. There was a car going by and they must have seen me, and they called the sheriff. My daughter was with me, and I had sent her inside while I walked around to cool off. I went in and two minutes later a deputy showed up, asking if everything was ok. I explained the story and he chuckled at me and said, "OK, have a good one." I suppose whoever called it in saw my daughter and thought I might be mad at her.

I almost never get that mad. I guess it's kind of like when you screw up fixing something and you throw the wrench across the shop. Guess I learned a lesson - don't let the neighbors see you get mad!😂

Did you ever have something happen that was so dumb that you had to chuckle, even though you're really mad?

So I was trying to load mine and my daughter's bikes in the back of my new truck. At some point, my handlebars got turned around backwards. A little piece of the frame that holds the front brake line suddenly broke, the front wheel suddenly turned, I lost my grip, the bike fell over the edge of the bed, and put a big scratch in my trucks paint. I was mad as hell at the bike and myself and I picked it up and threw it about 10 feet and threw my hat at it. There was a car going by and they must have seen me, and they called the sheriff. My daughter was with me, and I had sent her inside while I walked around to cool off. I went in and two minutes later a deputy showed up, asking if everything was ok. I explained the story and he chuckled at me and said, "OK, have a good one." I suppose whoever called it in saw my daughter and thought I might be mad at her.

I almost never get that mad. I guess it's kind of like when you screw up fixing something and you throw the wrench across the shop. Guess I learned a lesson - don't let the neighbors see you get mad!😂
I lecture my son and brother about getting mad at what they are working on and swearing.

After decades ot fixing computers I learned to sweat talk whatever I am working on anr never curse or get mad. After all computers have microphones and can hear what you say and they have memory to remember what you said.

Stay calm, relax and talk nice.

;)

Ben

Took my friend Doc out for lunch today.
We barter lunch for B-12 shots.
Had a good visit.
Came home picked blackberries..then went to culvert and hand laid some more riprap.

Gotta take the Explorer to dealer for oil and filter Change tomorrow.

Then go mow the grass at the farm house, which should take all of 20 minutes😎

Jim

Took my friend Doc out for lunch today.
We barter lunch for B-12 shots.
Had a good visit.
Came home picked blackberries..then went to culvert and hand laid some more riprap.

Gotta take the Explorer to dealer for oil and filter Change tomorrow.

Then go mow the grass at the farm house, which should take all of 20 minutes😎

Jim

What is riprap?

Place I used to work at on 3rd shift, I had been working on a machine most of the night trying to make a small adjustment to get it running right. We ran production of 13 parts per minute and this machine was forcing us to off load the parts to catch up at a later date. after about 6 hours of that I got pissed and slung a wrench across the shop. Must have went 75' and stuck in the insulation on the wall. a few selected BAD words went along with it. When I went to get the wrench and saw what it did it hit me what it would have done if I had hit one of my workers. Never considered letting my temper fly like that afterwards.

That's very sad, Dademoss. Sorry.
I love mint, and it has not taken over much, but just put another load of it in the dehydrator for tea this winter. Spent the morning painting the add on, at least as much as granddaughter and I could reach, even with the big ladder. So, tomorrow we'll go redneck and park the ranger on the side of the building and put the ladder in it. That'd be wall three when we finish that. One more to go, then since we have lots of paint, I start on the house where it's all chipped off. Two different neighbor ladies came by today. One of them wants the granddaughters to come pick some greenbeans in the morning. The other brought by a bunch of sweet corn for us and needed some eggs. Her little girls jumped in the small pool with little granddaughter, dresses and all, and told their mom, "Nee" when she said time to go. I finally got my canning lid order in from a company called Berlin. Ordered it 8 months ago. They gave it to me for $2 a box for Ball Brand. Ordered 200, and they all came in.

Limestone stones in big sizes e.
I use stones 10" to 14", to secure the gravel on the ends of the culvert.so the flood waters don't wash away my dense grade gravel.
View attachment 69886

Jim

I don't think that would have helpeduch today. Even our football+ size rocks and RR ties were moved.

Thank you for your thoughts and support. Just discovered the carport is home to a "community/feral" cat and her kittens. That explains her frequent appearance on the security camera. Put out some water and dry food, a few weeks and the trapping and neutering will begin.

Wish the weathermen could make up their minds so I'd knew what I was doing!
Might mow the lawns.
Might finish stacking the firewood.
Might ride into town to do some touch up painting.
Participate on a scheduled Zoom meeting in the middle of the "Mights".
Start an inside project that will cancel the forecasted rain?

Back