What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 24 quarts of dog food canned yesterday re-using old lids and only 2 did not seal and are in fridge. 8 hours of canning PC plus the time to make it the night before. I shouldn't have to make more until October (hope).

Walked first and walked dogs, then fed them.
Made a few phone calls.
Put away dog food.
A lady from MS Animal project returned my call and they will do a voucher to spay the half feral cat that's hanging around. Have an appointment in the morning. Now to get her in a carrier with our arms intact! It cost us $50. All vets in the area charge over $100 for the same thing.
I went to meet her (the lady, not the cat) with the money, then to Kroger for local sales which aren't that great but we needed a few things.
Not doing much else until later when I will go meet my Sunday School class for dinner at a local deli. Looking forward to that!

Last edited:
More insulation today.

20210728_143442.jpg

Then I had to stop and figure out how to proceed. Every other wall is blocked with tools or supplies in the way. I have to keep a place clear for the kitchen cabinets that should be delivered next week.

Looks like I have to clear out the closet in the master bedroom next.

20210728_153614.jpg

I may resort to move a pile install insulation move another pile.... Lather rinse repeat.

Behave!

Ben

Found out right before I left work to come home that the idiots running the asylum have reinstalled the mask requirement at work starting tomorrow. Waited till the end of the day to let that out. I gave lot of thought to turning in for my retirement tomorrow. But I'm not ready yet, still got 4 years to go if all goes according to plan.
Came home and played in the garden in 96 degree heat.

Been raining last few days. Took mom for 2 appointments on the same day. Next day I had to go to grocery store very late in the evening. Whole body was aching. Still achey today but not as bad. Went to the post office and checked on the kitten (one of them died bc my friend's gf is a tw**). Cleaned litterboxes. Cooked dinner. Need some rest now. It was hot as hell outside today.

Was up on and off all night, got a head ache that just hangs on... I watered part of the garden this morning and did the trash chore, need to do some dishes before starting the work day. I only plan to work half a day today because I have to take the wife to a Dr.'s appointment at noon... I am going to use today to spring board into a long weekend....

I may run over to Low's to pick up some fittings they have what I need to increase the capacity for my fertilizer injector from 1/2 gallons to 2 1/2 gallons, which will greatly improve it's effectiveness.

I look at my Do list and 3 days is just not going to cover it. I got my order of drip irrigation main line and fittings, so I can finish up the system. I have been bringing in supplies for weeks and I need to get them organized, inventoried, and put away. The wife wants me to work on the freezers: she wants me to clean them out, reorganize them, and inventory them.... So to get ready for that, last night she had me scrub the shower stall... I couldn't quite make the connection myself but she said it was important for that to be done first. What ever.......

I think it is just this head ache making me grumpy.....
On a bright note: my girlfriend at BassPro sent me a note saying she has something waiting for me a customer service.....

In 3 days hunting licenses go on sale here.... :woo hoo: :woo hoo: :archery:

Well Low's opens in 15 minutes and if I push it I can get my pipe and be home before time to start work... ;)

Last edited:
Have had a lot of problems with various animals getting sick with stuff. One of our goats , a nice healthy large doe, started staggering around like she is drunk and wobbling her head . No other symptoms. She is eating and drinking. I called the vet and looked it up online and we both came to the conclusion it is either Goat polio ( vitamin B1 deficiency) or Listeria. So I am giving her shots of vitamin B and an antibiotic. She is a little better after 3 days of this but not great. All of our lambs have diarreah, not sure why. It is not worms, or coccidia, so I think it is the heat. Some are better now but they all look awefull with dried poopy butts. Then my German Shepherd got skin problems for the first time since we moved here. She has had this before but it was a rice allergy and I haven;t been feeding her any. SHe had to go to the vet to get an antibiotic, have some of her fur shaved off ( she looks terrible) and is getting some antiitch medication that cost a small fortune .
Son got his second covid shot a few days ago and was sick yesterday ( like I was and husband when we got ours)
Garden is being taken over by weeds. It's amazing how they can grow so well in this dry weather!

So I am ready to quit at the moment , sell all the animals and move to Thailand and sit on the beach..... ( j\k but the thought occured to me)

Have had a lot of problems with various animals getting sick with stuff. One of our goats , a nice healthy large doe, started staggering around like she is drunk and wobbling her head . No other symptoms. She is eating and drinking. I called the vet and looked it up online and we both came to the conclusion it is either Goat polio ( vitamin B1 deficiency) or Listeria. So I am giving her shots of vitamin B and an antibiotic. She is a little better after 3 days of this but not great. All of our lambs have diarreah, not sure why. It is not worms, or coccidia, so I think it is the heat. Some are better now but they all look awefull with dried poopy butts. Then my German Shepherd got skin problems for the first time since we moved here. She has had this before but it was a rice allergy and I haven;t been feeding her any. SHe had to go to the vet to get an antibiotic, have some of her fur shaved off ( she looks terrible) and is getting some antiitch medication that cost a small fortune .
Son got his second covid shot a few days ago and was sick yesterday ( like I was and husband when we got ours)
Garden is being taken over by weeds. It's amazing how they can grow so well in this dry weather!

So I am ready to quit at the moment , sell all the animals and move to Thailand and sit on the beach..... ( j\k but the thought occured to me)

Is it smoky where you are at? Here the smoke is really bad and the vets are all swamped with sick animals all of a sudden.

Dade, I'm very sorry for your loss. I worry about my younger brother because he's not taking care of himself.
Peanut, I'm also sorry to hear about your friend. Sounds about like the luck of people I know.
Sonya, I hope your goat will be ok. Sorry your dog is having allergies. We had some wymeraners (sp?) that were allergic to pine pollen & had almost all their fur fall out. Looked like they had mange but vet said it was allergies.
I forgot to mention that one of my teeth broke the other day. I was eating eggs & bacon and somehow the back part of my molar (bottom right farthest back of the mouth) broke off. At first I thought I had something stuck there and tried to peel it off bc I felt something sharp-- then realized there was a hole and it's sharp tooth endings. Called the nearest dentist-- earliest appointment is August 25. Waiting for other dentist to open. They are closed Wednesdays & Thursdays for some reason. Open back up tomorrow. I'm hoping the tooth can be fixed instead of having to be pulled. and hoping it won't require a root canal. It's in a very tough spot to reach though.
I'm up early bc Mom once again foiled my attempts to get on a normal sleep schedule. Woke me up at almost 2am. Haven't been able to get back to sleep. Brain started thinking about house repairs and electrical stuff so now I'm trying to visualize and plan out what repairs and changes need to be made to fix the electrical in the house. Nothing is grounded properly. I don't think we even have a grounding rod...

Weird day. Tonight I lift a glass to my youngest brother, who passed during the the night.
I met this guy at work & we became friends & my family take a gun safety class from him, then we went on a cruse with him & his wife.
we see each other about once every 60 days or so, he the guy that sold me on Kubota tractors.
He went North Carolina to a relatives funeral & dropped dead from a heart attach, been married 49 years, great guy.
So sorry for both your losses.
I lost a friend to cancer early this morning. His wife called us at 0200. I got very little sleep last night.

Last edited:
I've attended more funerals in last 5 years than in my whole life . It's my age im sure . Sorry to hear the losses.

The towing people screwed up and didn't pickup my Lebaron yesterday 😠, so will come today around 1:00pm.
Hotest day of the year today , heat index over 110 temps of 98.
Ain't gonna do much today.

Jim

Last edited:

Drunk acting critter - first course of action, look for a tick (or ticks.) Then proceed to the other options.

We haven't had rain for over a week. It was hot, hot today. I painted for 3 hours outside but was in by 1 because I couldn't stand it anymore. And I was in the shade. A little bit at a time.
Getting ready to go to the little feed store, and the amish salvage store.
The ladder angle wouldn't work right in the bed of the Ranger, so I put in a call to a cousin for their 14 yr old to come by with his tractor, and granddaughter will get in the bucket to finish the high spots.
Does the paint dry okay in the heat? I would think it would be tacky.
The canning jars are about to come out of the washing machine, then I will can a couple batches of pints in the steamer.

When I ran the errands this morning I was able to get some canned grapefruit (I like it as a snack instead of a heavy lunch, but it has been hard to find), they had 1 can short of a flat, so I got 11. Yesterday when the wife and I were talking about the upcoming wheat issues, she suggested that I pick up some pasta, they had a limited selection but I got a start at it. So my next visit to the "good store" will include some pasta along with the fresh fruit.

While I was waiting around doing nothing I decided to change the oil on both cars (one is smart and she has been talking to me), as I was enjoying my CAR time, the question hit me, am I the only one who still fills the oil filter and lubes the gasket before installing the new filter? Then again I have to wonder how many people still change their own oil.....

I know when I re-did the engine in my old truck a couple of winters ago, some young guys from church stopped by (It was Pre-Covid and their wives were visiting mine so they were just along for the ride). They were totally floored that I (an old guy) could pull an engine out, rebuild it, then reinstall it, and get it running, all by myself using just hand tools and a hoist.

Well, I'm all cooled off, my soda is about dry, and I'll bet the washing machine is done with the Jars, so I guess I will try my luck at Canning, then I can mow the lawn.

I bet I sleep well tonight.....
By washing machine do you mean dish washer?
There is a feral cat that had kittens in my carport, so spent this morning getting the old chicken coop ready for "prisoners" as I do the Trap/Neuter/Release cycle. Stick the colony in there, then one by one take them to rescue that does neuter/spay and release.
Thank you so much for neutering feral cats. I do the same and find homes for some. Pet overpopulation is my pet peeve and I push spay and neuter advice where ever I can.

Got the semi feral cat into the crate this morning and to the vet's at 7:30 to be spayed. We will keep her in a large cage inside for a few days and see how she will do with the dogs. May end up leting her stay outside, but at least no kittens!
Came home, walked and refilled a prescription on the way.
Went to dollar General for kitty food, litter box, etc.
I'm not doing much today. Very hot out 93 or 94 real temp.
Will go pick up cat about 3:30 pm.

Cut the grass before it got hot, weather service and the dog predict rain later this evening. Mama cat is "street smart" and better at small unit tactics than me :p. Fixed the Havahart trap, Sunday night it gets real :p

Here is Mama and the kits having breakfast:

Lunch for Mama Cat:

Paint seems to do fine as long as I'm in the shade. A cousin came by with the tractor and bucket this morning so that granddaughter could get in and finished painting the high places. So the add on is now painted. On with the rest of the house another day. Bodyaches, fever, stomach issues yesterday afternoon, have been in bed since. Had two sets of visitors over, too, that I couldn't visit with. Bummer.

I got the fittings I needed to expand my irrigation injection system this morning before daylight... after work I ran to BassPro to pick up my little box.... about the size of 2 phone books and weighted about 10 pounds..... I am only 15 miles from the BassPro, spent 5 minutes in the store and the trip took 2 1/2 hours, I hate the post COVID traffic.... :(

When I got home I installed the fittings on the irrigation system, then we got a tornado alert, a rain drip hit me right between the eyes, so I came back inside. I was planning to send a witches brew through the system tonight, insecticide, anti-fungal copper, and water based fertilizer just to say I did..... But if it does rain I don't want to waste the water... I have been told that evening after dark is the best time to apply the insecticide to avoid hurting the bees (and I have lots of buzzy friends now). The bottle says that it is bee friendly but I am afraid that it would still hurt them..

I did put out a couple of humming bird feeders where the wife could see them, she loves the birdies and her vision is no what it used to be.

Well, now that I am dry again, I think I will work on indoor prepper stuff like food storage.

Dademoss, the mama cat and her kittens are adorable!

It was very hot this morning so I hibernated as much as I could. Raining now so it's cooler. Woke up too late to go to the post office. Still have electrical wiring questions running through my brain. I asked them on another forum but haven't received a response yet. I think I sort of know one of the answers-- I don't think 12awg can be connected directly to 14awg but I wonder if I can connect 12awg in to a light switch and then run 14awg from the switch to a vanity light (since the vanity light has 14awg). I need to relocate a few light switches and outlets- in some cases the wires will actually be moved closer to the circuit box. But, I know a lot of my stuff isn't grounded properly so I'm debating whether I should just run new wires and trying to figure out the best way to do that and if it can be done without removing the flimsy wood panel walls.

Dad is in his new apartment.
He doesn't like it.
Hmm, no kidding.
Steep stairs, shaky handrail.
So now he goes out once or twice a day.
Otherwise he's inside his new apartment.
Me on the other hand.
Went to Wal*Mart yesterday, picked up a few things for myself to top off groceries.
Picked up a few things for Dad.
Just important things he hasn't found yet:socks, t shirts etc.
Picked up his new mailbox key from the Post Office.
So today went and checked his mail for him.
Explained his new phone to him again.
Ordered him Levi 501 jeans to be delivered next Wednesday at the new apartment.
Bills are paid.
Wal*Mart stuff done.
Groceries are put away.
Eating ice cream sandwich trying to cool down.
2 loads of laundry is washed, dried and put away.
Got to get last load into dryer.
Steamed mopped the Living room floor, dining area, kitchen floor.
Resting now.
It's hotter than heck.

Drywall.

Well 5 small pieces of drywall pieced in above the hot water heater (why do we call it a hot water heater when it is actually a cold water heater). Then it took me hours to figure out how to build a simple box to shroud in the dryer vent that couldn't go straight up through the top plate of the wall. 10" by 25" and what a pain the the neck. It's done, but way more difficult that building a full wall.
Cleaned up from drywall work and getting ready to go to work.

Today I finished a 15 hour work day early, finished before midnight which was nice. Now I’m home, looking off my back porch wondering what their going to build right behind me & how much my rent is going to go up at the end of this lease 😳

I’m glad I’m not on third shift this summer like last. I wouldn’t be able to sleep with all this demo going on during the day. There was a fully intact building there last Sunday…

6B2A2F74-A902-48FD-BC9F-E77764C85E73.jpeg

(Sorry, it’s dark)
You can see the two tower cranes a few blocks away. There’s more on the other side of my building a few blocks away.

I just live here for shear convenience and lack of concern for my future. Im a mixture of ignorance & stupidity…. Don’t care, just glad to be here 🙂

Today was range day. My buddies and I usually go every week. It was windy today, and I was shooting a .22 (I had my .308 on standby in the truck just in case it got too bad for rimfire). We got a lot of good practice reading wind and holding off. Had to hold off about 3/4 mil at 100 yards, so that's a pretty good wind. Let me check my ballistics program to see what that amounts to for my ammo ......... 11.5 mph per "Strelok", which is a good, free ballistics app for Android should you need one. There are paid versions of it as well, but the free one is all anybody needs IMHO.

Can't say my targets looked all that impressive at the end of the day - OK, they royally sucked actually - but they were good learning targets. Finished up the day with lunch at Five Guys hamburgers. Then off to my son's place to teach him how to maintain his air conditioner. The filter material on the condenser looked like Chewbacca, with all the nasty hairy looking crap covering it. Surprisingly, the blower filter looked great. I'm pretty sure my son changed it right before I came over, knowing that I would get on him about that. I said we would hire an A/C professional to service the whole system, which obviously hasn't been done in a long time. We'll pay that guy to deal with Chewbacca.

Today is the start of a major clean up for me.... I have a 3 day weekend and I hope to get a couple loads of rotten wood and trash hauled away. I have some garden space that I need to clean off to get the last of my fall garden going. Then I am trying to up my organizational game in the food storage area. The wife would like it if I could empty, clean, and then organize, inventory all the freezers. If I get all that done I have a couple of toys that I need to mount and bore sight before my next range day, which is 2 weeks away. 2 days till I can buy my hunting license.... tic tok, tic tok........ 6 weeks till early bow season....... More anticipation than a 8 year old, 3 weeks before Christmas ;)

Got a guy coming at 10am to pickup my Sears and Roebuck jointer. SOLD
Yep gonna be selling lots of stuff. Getting slowly ready to downsize.
MIght hookup bush hog today.

May go get more measurements at the farmhouse for kitchen cabinets.

Would go for fish dinner at 4:30.

Got a little rain last night Very humid.

Jim

Back