What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent 5 or 6 yrs in speech therapy, starting in kindergarten. I was that th for s kid. Sh and z were a problem, too. With a name like Susie growing up, it was a challenge. For me, the palette was fine, tongue too long. So I learned to speak properly and not lisp. Except sometimes when there's Jager involved, then all bets are off.

Picked up a 7 week old rex buck on my way home from voting. He is a bit more skittish than the doe but he is cute and sweet in his own way. He is more comfortable being held than the doe. I'm sure he will get tamer as time goes on.

I never got a chance to pick up my glasses but K's are now ready so I will get both sets tomorrow when I take Juju to pick out her birthday book. I will be making the cake for her birthday tonight and ice it tomorrow. Marshmellow buttercream!

Rode the bike before getting on the road to vote this morning. Riding in the dark and driving at sunrise!

I worked with early childhood speech children. Would have loved to major in it but couldn’t afford to go to school that long. A big one is “th” for S. If you ask them to say grass and they can, they don’t have an impediment. They have a habit. People think it’s cute when kids are little so don’t correct them.
Sorry - probably TMI.
I know there are people with genuine problems, but promoting something like this in a child is ridiculous, imho. In a group for narcissists, one girl talked about her parents teaching her many things backwards on purpose, for their own amusement. Left and right are two things that they deliberately mixed up for her, and as an adult, she cannot figure it out.

Got home from Santa Fe and hubby is almost done clearing the trees along one side of a pasture that needs to be fenced. We went through the greenhouse and picked tomatoes and red beans that were dry enough to be put up. Tomorrow morning I'm going to can some peaches and then I have to run the kid south for a follow up apt on her sinus surgery.

@LadyLocust A few years ago I did some electrical work on an old sawmill and had to call a guy who had done some work there before. There are 3 dialects of old southern english here in alabama... His I recognized but it's the most difficult to understand. AND it didn't help that he wasn't wearing his Dentures! Talk about a lisp! I don't think I've ever said "what?" so many times in one conversation... 🤣

Just another 24 hrs of rain... more rain and more rain. Saw today, theres a daily minimum 50% chance of rain through next Tuesday. 70% through Friday.

I wonder if the lisp thing is learned (as someone mentioned in some it is) or genetic. I think maybe both in some situations? It is a fascinating subject.

It rained all day so I got some rest in. Got up and cooked for mom, fed the cats, went to cook and discovered my brother ate all of the eggs. We had a half dozen left. He didn't even rinse the pan. At least he didn't put the empty carton back in the fridge this time. He likes to leave empty containers in the fridge and freezer so I don't know we're out of stuff. He refused to go with me to the store to buy more earlier on. Then he waited until it was after dark to want to go. I decided it would be best to go and get the stuff rather than procrastinate. I let him have the umbrella because I don't care about getting rained on.

Internet kept going out. Tomorrow tropical storm Nicholas is supposed to hit us. So I'll be playing offline games and maybe doing some cleaning.

This evening we are going to the beauty shop, it's the only thing the wife ventures out for.... Harvested 5 gallons of peppers yesterday, and smoked them, they will get canned sometime today or tomorrow....

Yesterday I looked in the mirror and saw blood in my left eye, that did not put me in my happy place...

Sorry about your dehydrator @Amish Heart ! Hope you replace it soon!

Did a video this morning (rain).
Swept house.
Baked cookies.
Took eBay photos.
Was supposed to have a roofer over about getting new roof. Not doing anything yet as we don't have a check in hand.
Took a shorter walk this afternoon during break in rain and walked dogs.
Will have Prayer meeting this evening.

I use 2 dehydrators, Excalibur and a Nesco. Each can do things the other can't. For instance the excalibur is great for bulky items that simply won't lay flat in the nesco. The nesco seems to hold heat better, more uniform drying with fully loaded trays.

Another day spent watching it rain... This has gotten old!

Excaliber Nesco.jpg

Went to the big city today. Got the semen tank filled. Good for 3ish more months.
Stopped for a frozen yogurt. What a treat!
got some more pumpkins to cook and purée and get in the freezer while we wait for the freeze drier to come. It’s supposed to ship tomorrow. 🤞🏼
Have to work on sale’s fliers still for the vehicles, tires and wheels and trailers I have to sell currently. Also have to work on getting our hunting draw tags returned for year 3 now since camp burned up again.
I can’t wait to move. I’m beyond ready.
Hope y’all are having a good day!

I remember saying I couldn't wait to move about 18 months ago. Hope you move soon!
Went to our little post office today because I needed something weighed. We have a new lady working there, who is a hoot. She asked me what they do around here for Halloween. They don't do Halloween here. She said that she's going to decorate like crazy then. That is not going to go over very well.
Went to Aldi. The potatoes were bad and there weren't any bananas. Oh well. I still filled the cart.
Got my "drive a tractor" lessons today from husband. We got it a few weeks ago, but I've been sick. I'm impressed, it's super easy to drive. He's been on it since we got it. Picked a bucket of tomatoes and some brussel sprouts.

Finally got the old cast-iron claw foot tub out of the hallway, down the winding staircase, and out to the back yard, with the help of 4 strong rugby players. No damage to the house. It was heavy and awkward and they did an awesome job. They got a great dinner of Mexican food and margaritas for their help. The tub has been a bottle neck for far too long, having been taken out when I put down ceramic tile in the bathroom, and no one to help put it back or take it out. Daughter thinks a new style tub should go in, but since I shower, not bathe, I may never have that done. Now, what to do with the tub? Sell it, give it away, make a water garden, or fill it with soil and plant in it?

New washer and dryer are scheduled to be delivered and installed tomorrow. They will take them up the winding staircase, down the hallway and into the bathroom/laundry area, past where the tub created too small of a space for the washer and dryer to go by. They are supposed to take the old ones out, part of what I paid for.
I miss my tub. I had it next to the garden. Filled with water, it kept the kids busy for hours while I gardened. When they ‘outgrew’ it, I used it to fill watering cans, after filling it from a bilk tank on my truck. Someone else admired it, because it disappeared one Sunday morning when we weren’t home. Pretty low to walk across someone’s yard and swipe something like that.....

I miss my tub. I had it next to the garden. Filled with water, it kept the kids busy for hours while I gardened. When they ‘outgrew’ it, I used it to fill watering cans, after filling it from a bilk tank on my truck. Someone else admired it, because it disappeared one Sunday morning when we weren’t home. Pretty low to walk across someone’s yard and swipe something like that.....
I knew a guy who was doing a house remodel for someone. They brought the claw foot tub out one day, put it in the backyard, and the next morning it was gone. In these parts, people sell any metal they can find or steal for scrap metal. I wondered if that was what happened with that tub.

The renewed passport arrived and The Princess agreed I look like a terrorist. Check!

Drove to pick up my buddy from dropping of his car to get serviced. That killed some time but it was a rain day anyway. Monitored the radar and checked the diggings and all was as expected except I had forgotten to drop the pipe from the down spout into the trench. A 4 inch soaker hose was rather spectacular. Fixed that but got drenched. I have been drenched with perspiration every day so why should today be a day to stay dry?

I reset the piano bench I use as a desk on the front porch because The Princess has been after me to fix the safety hazard my book stack presents.

Rhetorical question?

Why does the the space on book shelves shrink if I keep the books out for too long?

I will let you know if and when The Princess notices the reset of the bench.

Tomorrow I dig!

Ben

Today was a good day as far as getting ready for the auction. More boxed and ready to go, and I signed a contract with the auctioneer. With all I’ve been reading about the changes in online selling and lowering income from any source to just $600 before 1099s and scrutiny, I’m feeling better about letting it all go.

Even with an appliance dolly it would take more than one person to load it into a truck.

Guy 1
Look there is a claw foot tub!

Guy 2
Wow have seen the price of scrap cat iron?

Guy 1
Does that look like a case of beer or what?

If you had filled it with dirt and planted it with poison ivy, multi flora rose, and Japanese barberry ...

A
You would still have the tub

B
Would have a giggle thinking that there were a couple of guys drunk and attending to their wounds and rashes

C
And or pleased you got rid of the tub.

Ben

Even with an appliance dolly it would take more than one person to load it into a truck.

Guy 1
Look there is a claw foot tub!

Guy 2
Wow have seen the price of scrap cat iron?

Guy 1
Does that look like a case of beer or what?

If you had filled it with dirt and planted it with poison ivy, multi flora rose, and Japanese barberry ...

A
You would still have the tub

B
Would have a giggle thinking that there were a couple of guys drunk and attending to their wounds and rashes

C
And or pleased you got rid of the tub.

Ben
D) None of the above. They drove across my lawn with a truck, judging from the ruts. That tub was a tool to me, one that I used and wanted.
I now have 3 dogs, one which is a guard dog to contend with. I don’t expect to have much wander away anymore.

So far in my experiences of clearing trees off the land, designing the house myself, framing the house, roofing the house, installing windows and doors, siding the house, insulating the house, and hanging drywall, ........ I do believe taping and mudding the drywall is my least favorite part of this project.
A friend with experience and the necessary tools came over to help and educate me on the process but I was not enjoying the day. He showed me one time how to use the banjo and then handed it to me, which is fine but after 4 hours my shoulder was too tired to hold the banjo near the ceiling to set the end of the tape at the top joint. But we were able to tape about 200 feet of wall yesterday. Here are a few pictures. We only did the seems in the garage up to about 9 feet and we didn't do any ceilings yet, the plan is to rent a scissor lift for the 9 foot ceilings and the tall walls and ceilings in the garage.
1631805307923.png

1631805335275.png

1631805355016.png

That does not look like a fun job, Inresponse! Yikes.

Went to Walmart first thing this morning. Found my cauliflower rice but the rest of the frozen veggies was still bare. Dairy was still low. I got one bottle of 1000 mg lysine, another bottle of zinc and a 2 pack of D3, just because.
Kroger seemed pretty well stocked. Got almost all sale items I was looking for.
Came home, fed dogs and walked myself--not dogs today. (My hip is bothering me)
Getting ready to dry pack and pressure can tater tots. Will see how that goes.
Not much else on the list today.

The fellow will be here Monday to go over contract and pick color of architectural shingles. Woohoo!

Went out to lunch with husband in the bigger town. Then to drop off a load at the thrift store. Went to the amish store in our town for potatoes, bananas (Aldi was out), and found the Knorr rice sides there for 50 cents. Went to the meat place here and got husband's favorite swiss cheese, and my favorite butter cheese. Saw that their small cans of Troyer beef went up to $7.

Made some good progress but not done yet.

I can run water through the line and no water inside the house but I suspect roots are in the pipe.

20210916_171018_HDR.jpg

20210916_170956_HDR.jpg

I could leave it at that but I don't want another clog. Tomorrow I will barrow my brothers electric snake.

At least the water in the basement issue may be behind me.

Ben

Put some copper sulfate down that pipe. Cutting the roots make them grow faster. The copper sulfate will make them turn around and go another direction or kill them.

Back