What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I made a batch of oatmeal monsters for Hubby. He was beginning to think I didn't love him anymore.
He made it home from hunting - still with no critter. Said he only saw 4 all weekend - weird. Though I know they (critters) are provided with the calendar and have it committed to memory. 😂
Once he got unpacked, we did another batch of salsa - 14 quarts =84 quarts this season.

Today, (yesterday-Saturday) I took another trip to Vegas

I was there about 9 hours and headed back to Utah at about 7 or 7:30pm. But, the stupid new stadium had some event tonight so the freeway was at a crawl and I had to resort to the city streets to avoid the stand still. (Damn Raiders)

stopped in Mesquite, Nevada to eat. restaurant no longer existedBeaver Dam/Littlefield and stopped at their one and ole bar/restaurant but at 9pm local time they had stopped serving food and my options were beer or a game of pool. Back into the truck and headed home where I made a quesadilla.

A kindness, how do you repay?

As I read your post I couldn’t help but laugh, not at you but myself. Many times I’ve been in the same boat, traveling, exhausted and hungry! And usually a crappy state of mind to go with it. One trip stands out.

I was moving from Buffalo NY to CA but had to take a trailer load to Bama for storage. I get to Louisville KY the first evening. 12hrs pulling the biggest trailer u-haul had and my pickup was also loaded. I was exhausted and starving.

Across town at the first exit with a motel sign I learned this was Kentucky Derby weekend. Great! How bad is this evening going to get? Well, they didn’t have any rooms and said I be lucky to find one in the state. That bad huh! carp! Food would have to wait so off I went. At the 4th or 5th exit afterwards I found a room.

The only place to eat was the hotel restaurant which had just closed according to the bartender. So I took a stool at the bar and ordered potato chips and sprite, the pretzels were free. A guy a couple stools over heard what was said. A very, very kind man who’s name I don’t remember.

As it happens this kind man was the restaurant cook who had just gotten off work and ordered a beer. The guy volunteered, then went and made me a ham sandwich! Without doubt one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had! I was so hungry I was going to have chips for dinner and pretzels for dessert. That ham sandwich was almost heavenly.

The guy refused money and said the diner register was locked. I paid the man’s bar tab! While I was eating he and the barkeep were talking and I overheard it was $22. To me that sandwich was worth more!

He’s just a guy that cross my path one day. People will surprise us! I've had other such kindnesses, always try to pass it on at least. Hadn't thought of that night in years, thanks INresponse.

Very little rain today but still a soggy mess outside... didn't accomplish much.

Last edited:
Man, mentioning marbles.. Kids these days don't know how to play with marbles and jacks. I was also thinking about how younger generations with newer cars don't know about having to pump the brakes in older cars. LOL.

@LadyLocust what are oatmeal monsters?

I went to see my friend and chatted with him & his gf's family. The gf is in a depressive state with her anxiety & schizophrenia. She's still not on the right meds & her new job sucks. She missed her car payment because she didn't have enough $ and she's worried it will get repossessed. The baby likes my singing.

I got two coats of paint (technically stain but it wouldn't soak in to the wood properly) on the base cabinet and some trim and then did a coat of food safe sealant on the butcherblock countertop.

Road is still in crap condition. I don't know when or if they are going to fix it. They picked a bad time to tear up the pavement. They should have only done it in small strips and then been ready to pave it right away but noooo. Now it's a total mess. I got stuck behind someone in a chevy driving 5mph but can't really blame them.

I cleaned Nightmeow's eyes and put medicine in them, then held him and cuddled him for a bit. I found a gentle way to clean his ruptured eye where it mimics being groomed by his mother.

Went to the store afterward. Needed more supplies for finishing the base cabinet and the butcherblock countertop. I need to do the clear poly on the base and at least 2 more coats of the sealant on the butcherblock. Friend's gf's family hadn't realized that I was the one who painted all of the cabinets in the kitchen.

Cats missed me. As soon as I sat on my bed to grab my medicine, they piled on me and meowed at me.

I'm about to get some sleep. Still have to go over tomorrow to finish up the cabinets & stuff. The regular countertop will have to be reinforced and raised up a bit to match. Friend wants to get a new sink that is a single basin that is deeper but will fit in the same hole as the existing one.

Feeling a little rough today. Blood glucose was real high this morning for some reason. I must have made a dose mistake last night. I'm getting it settled back down now.

The rest of the day will be cleaning and packing for my return trip to work in Minnesota. I need to make a new hotel reservation too, because our job site got moved North to Inver Grove Heights. We will be meeting in the parking lot of a big strip club. No joke. Half the gang will probably never make it back to their hotels after work...🙄

Man, mentioning marbles.. Kids these days don't know how to play with marbles and jacks. I was also thinking about how younger generations with newer cars don't know about having to pump the brakes in older cars. LOL.

@LadyLocust what are oatmeal monsters?

I went to see my friend and chatted with him & his gf's family. The gf is in a depressive state with her anxiety & schizophrenia. She's still not on the right meds & her new job sucks. She missed her car payment because she didn't have enough $ and she's worried it will get repossessed. The baby likes my singing.

I got two coats of paint (technically stain but it wouldn't soak in to the wood properly) on the base cabinet and some trim and then did a coat of food safe sealant on the butcherblock countertop.

Road is still in crap condition. I don't know when or if they are going to fix it. They picked a bad time to tear up the pavement. They should have only done it in small strips and then been ready to pave it right away but noooo. Now it's a total mess. I got stuck behind someone in a chevy driving 5mph but can't really blame them.

I cleaned Nightmeow's eyes and put medicine in them, then held him and cuddled him for a bit. I found a gentle way to clean his ruptured eye where it mimics being groomed by his mother.

Went to the store afterward. Needed more supplies for finishing the base cabinet and the butcherblock countertop. I need to do the clear poly on the base and at least 2 more coats of the sealant on the butcherblock. Friend's gf's family hadn't realized that I was the one who painted all of the cabinets in the kitchen.

Cats missed me. As soon as I sat on my bed to grab my medicine, they piled on me and meowed at me.

I'm about to get some sleep. Still have to go over tomorrow to finish up the cabinets & stuff. The regular countertop will have to be reinforced and raised up a bit to match. Friend wants to get a new sink that is a single basin that is deeper but will fit in the same hole as the existing one.
You should ask @Terri9630 's Hubby 😂 (They are Hubby's favorite cookie)

After a bit of digging to make room I started to install the new lines .

20210920_170225_HDR.jpg

The grating in front of the door should make sure water never comes in via the door.

Re: The grating

It was out of stock at the closest Lowes when I was there on Saturday even though the website said they had it. The next closest Lowes was more han an hour away. Found it on Amazon when I got home for $6 less even with my veterans discount. It was waiting for me on the front porch before I finished my coffee. I ended up saving gas, money, and time and it was ready before I was.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I should be doing more of the same.

I love it when projects turn the corner and start to come together

Ben

I didn't get to go to my friend's today. He was sick and needs to see a doctor. I convinced him to go tomorrow morning. Yesterday his dryer stopped working but it turns out the plug came loose. Today his water heater stopped working. Not sure why. Apparently his outdoor breaker box keeps blowing open (I told him to use electrical tape) but he's not feeling well. I hope it's not the blood clots.

I cleaned and cooked today but not much else. Found out the local high school shut down because of a bat infestation. That had me laughing pretty hard. Made me want to find a Batman costume and run around in the front of the school.

Floors dusted.
Dishes done.
I had at least one hot meal today.
Fried green tomato sandwich, chips.
Got 15 beans soaking for 15 bean soup with ham hock going in the crock pot later.
So I will have several hot meals in the coming days.
Dad had a rough day today.
I've been sitting here this evening crying cause I know it's going to get worse.
My brother called today.
He wants me to think about moving closer to one of my sons sooner than later.
Or move closer to him instead of being 45 minutes away from my younger siblings.
My dad is worried about me being alone after her passes too.
Youngest son is 3 hours away north of me.
Oldest son is 25 minutes away from me south of me across the Missouri River.
I told my brother I would weight out my options then make my decision.
I have a half a**ed support system somewhat where I am.
Decisions, decisions.........

Last edited:
Floors dusted.
Dishes done.
Got 15 beans soaking for 15 bean soup with ham hock going in the crock pot later.
I've been sitting here this evening crying cause I know it's going to get worse.
My brother called today.
Or move closer to him instead of being 45 minutes away from my younger siblings.
Now probably isn't the best time to make life altering decisions. One thing at a time. Might just say you'll consider it for now, but not ready to make a decision. You have a lot on your plate Mo. Prayers for you and your family. Keep yourself well and just focus on making the best of the day ahead of you. I know you know all this but say it because I care.

Now probably isn't the best time to make life altering decisions. One thing at a time. Might just say you'll consider it for now, but not ready to make a decision. You have a lot on your plate Mo. Prayers for you and your family. Keep yourself well and just focus on making the best of the day ahead of you. I know you know all this but say it because I care.
I know.
And thank you.

I planned to do several things today. Operative word is planned. Saturday I cooked and boned all the chicken in freezer, around 50 pounds. Sunday school and a funeral Sunday then mow some in pasture. Got up to can chicken, dusted sweeping floors, wash clothes and when I put slices of bread in oven to make bread crumbs, realized no heat on any elements. Hauled it all over to daughters and canned. A jar broke in each canner. Hauled it all back. Repairman to come Wednesday. I hate electric stoves!

Floors dusted.
Dishes done.
My brother called today.
My prayers are you with you my sister..

Both of my parents passed 11 years ago and my mother asked me to be there when she chose hospice. She passed in her sleep.

God's speed to you!

Ben

I'm facing many of the same ones you are, not easy...

Went shopping in the big town today... my list of odd stuff. I keep a list of odd items that don't fit my regular shopping, stores I rarely go in etc. When I get enough odd items on the list it gets it's on shopping trip. Which is overly long because I have to actually shop, check two or three businesses before I find something or compare prices. I detest real shopping....

Last edited:
Today is going to be full of busy work... I hope to run some errands before my real day starts.

I had a buddy over the other night and showed him my "evaluation" setup for backup solar.. We then discussed options for solar backup generators and costs. Because up till now I have been in the "gathering" stage of my project for years, I now have an assortment of wires, quick connects, fuses/breakers, and inverters. It was interesting because we had a lot of the same ideas but he is years behind me in the execution. But, to be honest I think he has one big advantage, financial resources; you can greatly reduce the timeline for anything if you have enough money to throw at the problem....

Mo, I'm very sorry about your father. I know it's inevitable, but I hope you'll still get more time with him and that he won't be suffering. I was once told that people should wait 6 months after a loss to make any major decisions. But it can be tough. As soon as my father died, my sister and her friends were pressuring my mother to sell the house & move. It's so stressful. People mean well but they make it worse by pushing and not listening to what you want. I hope your family will give you time and not pressure you.

Urban, good point about the finances. Many people who are well off come up with solutions that are expensive without realizing that not everyone can afford it. Solar is still expensive.

I'm awake at 5am because one of the dogs jumped on me and stepped right on my bladder so I had to get up and now my brain won't let me get back to sleep. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best solution for the gap in my friend's countertop (between the formica and the butcherblock). He's feeling sick though and I've offered to drive him to the doctor in the morning if he needs.

Mo, I'm very sorry about your father. I know it's inevitable, but I hope you'll still get more time with him and that he won't be suffering. I was once told that people should wait 6 months after a loss to make any major decisions. But it can be tough. As soon as my father died, my sister and her friends were pressuring my mother to sell the house & move. It's so stressful. People mean well but they make it worse by pushing and not listening to what you want. I hope your family will give you time and not pressure you.

Urban, good point about the finances. Many people who are well off come up with solutions that are expensive without realizing that not everyone can afford it. Solar is still expensive.

I'm awake at 5am because one of the dogs jumped on me and stepped right on my bladder so I had to get up and now my brain won't let me get back to sleep. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best solution for the gap in my friend's countertop (between the formica and the butcherblock). He's feeling sick though and I've offered to drive him to the doctor in the morning if he needs.
It's not a good fix but you could put some sort of trim between the two, like aluminum or even plastic trim. The other solution would be remove one of the pieces and trim it to match the other...

As far as finances, I have found that people can work together during the tough times, but it is hard to survive prosperity. I think it may be too easy to just walk away when you feel really comfortable and secure....

I’ll be plowing snow from our first winter snowstorm of the season.

Walked first thing this morning.
Then had 6 month doc appt. at 8 am.
Went to Walmart for a few things since I was close.
Tractor Supply for a huge bag of dog food.
Home now. Need to clean baths and vacuum seal pkgs. of ham.
Fellow is supposed to be here this afternoon to do contract and have us pick out color of shingles for new roof.

Indeed. Its always difficult to problem solve with someone who may have 10 times, or a 1000 times your income.

Back