What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the post office then to the store to grab some groceries and medicine for my friend (he couldn't afford the Mucinex and he really needs it). Dropped it on his porch. Said "Hi" to him through the door, grabbed McDonalds for Mom, and got home. Put stuff away, ate a salad, and am back in my bed where it is warm and cats and dogs are piled on me. I can be in the bed 20 seconds before they start piling on. LOL. At least they kept me nice and warm last night.

Today I got another magazine, I didn't order any but here lately they have been clogging my mail box and ticking off the wife... So I called the customer service number and began my wait, 4:20-5:10, finally get someone on phone, I explained that I didn't order any magazines and the nice lady said they are free promotional copies. I explained I don't want any, then it hit me and I asked if they were the ones sending me the other magazines? Yep, well cancel them all please, (you have to say please or you are being rude and they will send you more). Any way, now the wife is happy because she though I ordered them... Now I just need to get my son to quit having his magazines sent here.....

Wife made a roast today, she is wanting the leftovers to make beef pot pies :)

Sitting in a parking lot right now. My mom has an eye procedure today, they're injecting something into the meat of her eyeball. Pops can't get her into and out of the car anymore so I drove 25 miles to their eyedoctor's office to help him. They went in at 11:35. It was supposed to take 25 minutes to maybe 40 minutes. It's now 2:05 and they're still in there. I can't leave to go run errands because they might be done at any minute. I'm about to blow a gasket - I've got things I need to do before I leave tomorrow. But, it's mom and pops so I'll do it with a smile.

Edit: as I was finishing writing that they came out. I'm back home now, packing up for New Mexico...

Did the animals, laundry, cleaning, took a walk around with husband (he's on a scooter), started on the ceiling border and baseboard on the upstairs bathroom till I ran out of stuff. I didn't measure, so oh well, a trip to Lowes is in my future. Not perfect, but I'm not very handy construction wise. But it looks a ton better.

@Spikedriver are you feeling completely back to normal?
Yes i am, thanks. Been feeling normal since that next morning. I got a continuous glucose monitor yesterday and I've been trying to figure the damn thing out. I found out for the first few hours after you insert the thing into your skin, it gives wonky readings. I finally got it figured out about 2AM last night. It's fascinating to see exactly what's going on in your body at any given moment. But I'm exhausted from being up so late wondering why my glucose readings were so far off...

Roo had to learn another lesson on caring for the things she has and not trashing them just because someone else gave them to her. She has been putting holes in her jeans while she is suppose to be doing her school work. She picks and picks at the threads until she gets a finger in and pulls. I have replaced 95% of her jeans 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years. I started buying used jeans for 1/2 the price of new to ease my wallet! She continued and didn't seem to want to stop- until I told her right before Christmas she had to replace the hole-y jeans. I had her doing chores for pay once her family chores were done almost daily. Sunday she finally had enough to buy the first pair so we took her to the store to pick them out and pay. I could have just ordered them online but there is something about having a kid hand over their hard earned money that teaches them the value of a dollar.

She damaged the blinds in her room not long after we moved into this house back in 2019 and her new goal is to earn enough to replace them by May. She is like someone who doesn't give 2 sh!ts about who pays for things as long as they don't have to. She abuses everything and breaks things left and right thinking I will just buy a new whatever to replace it. The towel bar in their bathroom was used for pull-ups until it was bent. I bought a replacement bar BUT it is in a box in the linen cabinet to be replaced right before we move out so she can't break it.

She will be the death of me!

Busy day around here.
Bank emailed back and unlocked our online account. Apparently since we don’t use it much we “missed” changing the password so it automatically locks the account. Got that squared away and finish the Morgage steps they sent. Not sure how long all the Morgage stuff will take but it’s done for now.
Called the trailer place and changed a few things on the trailer we have on order now. We made some decisions over the weekend and since the trailer is months out it wasn’t a problem to tweak it.
Took care of some work stuff for my in-laws. Bred cows in between. Almost done for this round. Smooth so far so hopefully good conception again. Weather has been nice so that’s another good thing for breeding.
Went to take a nap and wasn’t asleep long when the bassing music started. Asked him to stop last week myself but today I called the land owner again. It’s been a month or so since over complained to him about it. The bass is daily again most of them multiple times a day. He said he’s been told no music but clearly he doesn’t care. I told him after all these years I’m done with the constant wakeups day and night. Thankfully it didn’t last long enough for it to wake my husband up this time. I didn’t have ear plugs in so it woke me up pretty fast. The guy sat there for 5 min or so that I know of then left to get lunch but when he got back it was longer before he shut it off and went inside to work. I will not miss all this mess.
Feel like I’m getting a bit caught up so that’s a good feeling. Still need to tackle soap making and get back to processing harvest moon squashes and get them freeze dried.
Tired but it’s to late now for a nap. Have a 1am set of cows then I can go to bed. Gunna take a lot of coffee to get through this afternoon/evening/night.

I understand what that doc was trying to do, but...

Before you treat a diabetic like that, you need to know his/her blood glucose reading. Did the kid have any other symptoms? Had he just taken his insulin? Vomiting can be from either high or low glucose. Adding more glucose to a high is dangerous. Now, if you don't have any way to test glucose, as a last resort sugar can be given but the patient needs to be checked ASAP. My old endocrinologist explained it this way: High blood sugar will kill you over a little time. Low blood sugar can kill you right now. If the patient is still conscious and has any symptoms of low blood sugar, and you have no way to test their blood, give about 15 carbs and get medical attention. If glucose is actually high, they'll fix it at the ER. If no medical service is available, wait 20-25 minutes after the first 15 carbs and if no improvement, give 10-15 more.

Perhaps one of our medical professional forum members can explain this better than me.
So long ago, I don't remember all the ins and outs of what happened. I just really needed to do something until his parents or grandparents could take over and was so grateful that I could actually speak to his physician and get advice. I followed his instructions. I certainly had no way to measure his glucose and have no idea how to do that. In retrospect, I should have been trained about glucose levels. He was conscious but looked pale. What I remember is that no one responded because they were all out having lunch somewhere, and I was using my brief lunch period to keep their child going as best I could, at the expense of me not having lunch that day. I know that this kid's sugar levels were often off, because he ate what he wanted to eat and not what he was supposed to. His parents provided snacks and other children were always envious that he had extra snacks.

Hey, Grimm, keep at it. We've had to do the same with the grandkids from the time they were ten and came to live with us. The twins do work odd jobs, granddaughter works at the burger place. They are 16 and think we should pay for everything, so we're going through something similar. The latest is the 3 day band trip during spring break. Two days are travel days, and one day there, to Branson, MO. They want $400 per kid. We told them we'd pay for half each. Grandson about had a fit, but oh well. They had to pay half of the deposit today for us to pay the other half, so $50 each. Then the boy scout scoutmaster came by this afternoon for registration fees $75 and for fees for the youth leadership trip $180. We told grandson we'd pay for the registration, but half of the trip. They don't seem to appreciate where our money goes, just where theirs goes, but they've always been this way.

Spike, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Grimm, Roo sounds like a handful. Reminds me of my brother in some ways. He will break stuff that isn't his or just let stuff get ruined. My friend's (now ex) gf is the same way.

Speaking of her, she came back to steal the baby's diapers and wipes in an effort to make my friend let her take him. She only wants the baby for leverage/money. She doesn't like spending time with him. Only pays attention to him when she knows people are watching. He had to pretty much force her to interact with the baby when he was unable to. But now she's wanting $ from him so she's being all dramatic. Fortunately, another friend brought him diapers. I really think he should press charges on her for the assault. It's minor, but it would be on the record so he can get a restraining order against her and make sure she only gets supervised visits with the baby.

My mom said she wanted to find out where the girl was staying so she could go beat her up. Said she could bring along my friend's daughter to help her (the daughter once offered to hold the gf still so he could beat her up if he wanted-- but he declined that offer). The idea of my mom beating anyone up is pretty hilarious though.

Grim & Amish Heart,

I can relate.

Youngest worked his first "real" job detassling seed corn during the hot summer. Told him since he had a job he would have to pay for his up coming school clothes. Wife decreed I was the one to take him shopping for the clothes. Our first stop was the bank. He hadn't cashed any of his pay checks so he wouldn't be tempted to spend the money on other things. Next stop was the clothing store. I pointed out that he could buy off brand jeans for a lot less money, no he wanted brand name. OK. He picked out a pair of silk boxers. OK. He was having a blast until the cashier told him the total. After paying he had less than $5 left. He was quiet all the way home. He wouldn't even show his mom what he had bought, he went straight to his room. When the wife saw what he bought she laid into me. Why did I let him waste his money!!!!!!!!!! His money, he can buy what he wants!

Later the son and wife returned most of the clothes. I thought it was a valuable lesson for him.

Last edited:
Just finished plowing the road. The fog lifted and now it's snowing. Must have gotten a little chilled working outside and I'm not feeling too good right now. A hot shower helped some. I think I'll skip dinner and go to bed soon.
Be careful you don't get sick again!

I opted to stay home and more of "The Great Reset" on Saturday. I have about 70 pages left and I can pass it to The Princess so she can read it. Then I spent time researching ESG scores and how prolific they are.

Eden (the younger granddaughter) visited on Sunday and she helped Gramma make bread while I repaired a leaking faucet in the shower to stop the endless dripping (nagging :rolleyes: ) . Then we settled in for a movie.

Today my brother installed drywall on the ceiling of the great room while I stuffed insulation.

20220124_163450_HDR.jpg

We are getting somewhere. Out aide temps around 20 we were comfortable working in just sweatshirt. Feel like a real house now.

Tomorrow will be more of the same plus a run to the UPD store to return something I should not have ordered. What say you? A set of drywall stilts.

I was impressed watching my mother's uncle installing ceiling tiles when I was young. So much so that he built me a set of stilts that I learned to use and loved. I thought that stilts would be helpful with all of the ceiling work we have ahead of they would be useful until... I watched my brother ride his scaffolds luke a surf board. Then 5here is the question if a 64 year old guy with funky ankles should be running around on stilts and risking serious injury. So the stilts are going back.

That will restore $150 to my tool budget that I can make better use of for machine tools.

Behave

Ben

I understand what that doc was trying to do, but...

Before you treat a diabetic like that, you need to know his/her blood glucose reading. Did the kid have any other symptoms? Had he just taken his insulin? Vomiting can be from either high or low glucose. Adding more glucose to a high is dangerous. Now, if you don't have any way to test glucose, as a last resort sugar can be given but the patient needs to be checked ASAP. My old endocrinologist explained it this way: High blood sugar will kill you over a little time. Low blood sugar can kill you right now. If the patient is still conscious and has any symptoms of low blood sugar, and you have no way to test their blood, give about 15 carbs and get medical attention. If glucose is actually high, they'll fix it at the ER. If no medical service is available, wait 20-25 minutes after the first 15 carbs and if no improvement, give 10-15 more.

Perhaps one of our medical professional forum members can explain this better than me.
In my experience, diabetic gastroparesis (vomiting) is most typically due to high blood sugar.
Typically low glucose, the patient is altered, lethargic, sluggish and unresponsive. High blood glucose levels can also proceed to that as well, but its right before a diabetic coma from DKA.
If the patient is walky-talkie as we call it, and can protect their own airway, giving something to eat is ok, otherwise glucose tab under the tongue is the best bet for someone who is super lethargic (as its a high risk for aspiration- and you can cause more problems).
If you don't have a way to test glucose, smell his/her breath. If its fruity, the glucose level is most likely high (due to ketones).

Today was day 5 of 6 at work. I'm excited to go home tomorrow.
Been a long week. Our hospital is closed to visitors, and I feel for the family members who can't be with their loved one. Admitted a 19 year old early AM yesterday who is 2 months older than my kid. She was in a rollover MVA and admin wouldn't let her mom in.
I got so pissed I called the nursing administrator and I told her to get her A$$ down here and relay that to the mom, otherwise I was going to let her in. She sure didn't, and we turned a blind eye to her mom sitting there....
So sick of these bean counters making dumb rules and expecting us to enforce them.

Hey, Grimm, keep at it. We've had to do the same with the grandkids from the time they were ten and came to live with us. The twins do work odd jobs, granddaughter works at the burger place. They are 16 and think we should pay for everything, so we're going through something similar. The latest is the 3 day band trip during spring break. Two days are travel days, and one day there, to Branson, MO. They want $400 per kid. We told them we'd pay for half each. Grandson about had a fit, but oh well. They had to pay half of the deposit today for us to pay the other half, so $50 each. Then the boy scout scoutmaster came by this afternoon for registration fees $75 and for fees for the youth leadership trip $180. We told grandson we'd pay for the registration, but half of the trip. They don't seem to appreciate where our money goes, just where theirs goes, but they've always been this way.

Roo just turned 10 and I am tired of her being destructive. I figure is she has to pay for the things she breaks then she might stop breaking everything.

We did make her buy her own bike since she was being rough on the training bike we wanted to pass down to Juju. She didn't like that at all but she ended up doing it. I told her I would buy the helmet if she paid for the bike. It was satisfying watching her count out the money when she was paying for the bike. My parents kept trying to give her a bike but I said NO.

I also have a "mommy jail" for the things she and Juju leave around the house after they have been told to clean up. Last night it was Roo's shoes and her purse. She had to be my chore monkey to earn them back. I had her cleaning cat boxes, rabbit boxes and scooping dog poo! So far she only got her purse back. Her shoes are next.

Grim & Amish Heart,

I can relate.

Youngest worked his first "real" job detassling seed corn during the hot summer. Told him since he had a job he would have to pay for his up coming school clothes. Wife decreed I was the one to take him shopping for the clothes. Our first stop was the bank. He hadn't cashed any of his pay checks so he wouldn't be tempted to spend the money on other things. Next stop was the clothing store. I pointed out that he could buy off brand jeans for a lot less money, no he wanted brand name. OK. He picked out a pair of silk boxers. OK. He was having a blast until the cashier told him the total. After paying he had less than $5 left. Her was quiet all the way home. He wouldn't even show his mom what he had bought, he went straight to his room. When the wife saw what he bought she laid into me. Why did I let him waste his money!!!!!!!!!! His money, he can buy what he wants!

Later the son and wife returned most of the clothes. I thought it was a valuable lesson for him.

Roo says she can't wait to get her first real job. She asked me to take her to the local fast food place on her 16th birthday so she can apply. That being said the manager at the local Tractor Supply has mentioned she can put Roo to work sweeping the stock room and loading docks (wink wink). Of course she says this to Roo to get her to whine about the hard work but it is having the the opposite effect and Roo wants to take her up on it!

In my experience, diabetic gastroparesis (vomiting) is most typically due to high blood sugar.
Typically low glucose, the patient is altered, lethargic, sluggish and unresponsive. High blood glucose levels can also proceed to that as well, but its right before a diabetic coma from DKA.
If the patient is walky-talkie as we call it, and can protect their own airway, giving something to eat is ok, otherwise glucose tab under the tongue is the best bet for someone who is super lethargic (as its a high risk for aspiration- and you can cause more problems).
If you don't have a way to test glucose, smell his/her breath. If its fruity, the glucose level is most likely high (due to ketones).
Eww, glucose treatments. When I was a kid we had these things kind of like really hard wafers in blister packs. I don't remember what they were called. They were gross but not even close to as nasty as the glucose gel packs. Oh, man. Those things tasted like liquid plastic. If you didn't feel nauseous from the low glucose event, you sure would after you took a gel pack. Of course that was to discourage you from eating one when you didn't need it.

I always kept granola bars or Lifesavers in my locker at school. I still keep crunchy granola bars in my pack at work. Also I keep those little packs of gummy fruit snacks. The very best thing I've found to raise BG is those bags of "orange slices". If any of you have somebody in your life who is prone to low blood glucose, those things are the bomb. There is 12-13 grams of carbohydrates in each little slice. I am odd in that I am a little insulin resistant, but very sensitive to exercise. So, if my glucose tanks due to exercise or hard physical work, I'll need 35-45 carbohydrate to bring my level back up and keep it above 80. There are some other things in play, like needing an energy source that digests slower and lasts longer on top of the pure sugar/corn syrupin them, but those orange slices are the best I've found for that purpose. But I had to quit using them because it was too tempting to get into them when I didn't need them.🙄

Husband keeps those orange slice candies around. Also peanut butter crackers and goldfish in the truck. His blood sugar sometimes gets low after his pulmonary rehab class, so he'll have some of those. But he has a monitor on his arm, and keeps track all the time. We have the sugar wafer tabs in the glove compartment, but they are nasty and don't do a good job.

rollover MVA and admin wouldn't let her mom in.
I got so pissed I called the nursing administrator and I told her to get her A$$ down here and relay that to the mom, otherwise I was going to let her in. She sure didn't, and we turned a blind eye to her mom sitting there....

So sick of these bean counters making dumb rules and expecting us to enforce them.

For 2 years I serviced the only ct at a major children's hospital, the sickest of the kids came from 100's of miles. Seeing those kids almost daily was heart breaking enough, but the parents... I really didn't want to go in and work sometimes.

Didn't do a lot today, mostly inside chores.

Mostly didn't get much done either, @Peanut Not feeling the greatest today.
Finally got the right size peg shelf supports for a small book case and started loading it with books. Did a good bit of reading about William Wallace and then got distracted by findagrave and researching family names there. Found one of my family tartans. Watched Braveheart recently and even though a lot of it didn't follow historical accounts, it was still interesting. I suppose the cause of his death was accurate enough. :(
I had planned on going to Costco and Aldi today originally.

Roo says she can't wait to get her first real job. She asked me to take her to the local fast food place on her 16th birthday so she can apply. That being said the manager at the local Tractor Supply has mentioned she can put Roo to work sweeping the stock room and loading docks (wink wink). Of course she says this to Roo to get her to whine about the hard work but it is having the the opposite effect and Roo wants to take her up on it!
When I was 10, I went to my dad's Truck Stop with him and I told him that I wanted to work. He gave me a push broom and told me to sweep the driveways.... I think he thought I would be gone in a flash, but I swept till my hands bled and was waiting for him at the truck the next morning to go back to work. Been working ever since.......

Now today you could call that child abuse, but I it think that it is something missing from our society. It's hard to instill a good work ethic if you don't want your children to work.....

When I was 10, I went to my dad's Truck Stop with him and I told him that I wanted to work. He gave me a push broom and told me to sweep the driveways.... I think he thought I would be gone in a flash, but I swept till my hands bled and was waiting for him at the truck the next morning to go back to work. Been working ever since.......

Now today you could call that child abuse, but I it think that it is something missing from our society. It's hard to instill a good work ethic if you don't want your children to work.....
I always loved to work around the ranch with my Dad! As a kid I had access to all the horses and livestock I could get my hands on! I cleaned stalls, swept barns, brushed and saddled horses for money. I had a blast, and learned early on that some people will pay you to things they are to lazy to do. Things like getting their horse ready for their riding lesson, I LOVED doing that and made cold hard cash!

When I was about 10 or 11 the neighboring rancher had an old paint cow horse that he agreed to sell me. He wanted $135 for him and agreed to let me work it off. I worked for about a year during summer and before and after school for that horse. I also ran a trap line in winter for extra $$. At 13 I spent summers working on another ranch and lived in the bunk house. There are always jobs out there for anyone who wants to work at any age.

Latest posts

Back