What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably back in Arizona!

It's summer here, there will be plenty of short shorts to see, but most of them are on girls you don't want to see in short shorts!🤣

There's an fbi show on tv that reminds me of Walmrt in summer... Criminal Behinds!

Been hot as heck outside today so I've been cleaning the oven/stove. It was a mess 2 weeks ago. I take the 3 cast iron racks over the eye's and put them in a 25gallon horse trough. Then they got steel wool, wore out 4 pads but they are like new clean now.

Got a problem with my old dog. He stinks! It's his skin, hot weather makes a mess of it. I thnk I may have to bath him in oat meal everyday. He's 105lbs, it'll take a lot of oatmeal.

The Princess lived up to her name today!

She only asks I do something every day. In most cases that something is the top priority on my to-do list. More often than not the top task is the hardest nastiest ugly project.

With the current heat and humidity that would be any project outside. I took it on myself to avoid the outside work. Ran to a nursery to get some dirt and get some creeping thyme started. No sweat band or umbrella hats involved. Rather enjoyable.

When The Princess learned what I did she was ok with that! Nice to know I don't have to beat myself up every day. :thumbs:

Tomorrow I will switch to carpenter mode to repair a chair with a broken leg. An inside project and no 108 degree heat index.

Ben

There's an fbi show on tv that reminds me of Walmrt in summer... Criminal Behinds!

Been hot as heck outside today so I've been cleaning the oven/stove. It was a mess 2 weeks ago. I take the 3 cast iron racks over the eye's and put them in a 25gallon horse trough. Then they got steel wool, wore out 4 pads but they are like new clean now.

Got a problem with my old dog. He stinks! It's his skin, hot weather makes a mess of it. I thnk I may have to bath him in oat meal everyday. He's 105lbs, it'll take a lot of oatmeal.
Ruffgreens has a free trial pack.

https://ruffgreens.com/dogs-trial/
Just pay for shipping. May cost less than rhe oatmeal?

Ben

Spent some time in the hospital ... again! I had a total knee replacement done May 6 on my right knee. Had problems with the lower part of the incision seeping so they waited an extra week to remove the staples. About a week after that the incision split open. They said come in Monday (that was Friday afternoon ... nothing ever happens to me unless it's on the week end!) Friday night I had a terrible night. Rapid heartbeat and very short of breath. After calling the VA triage nurse she said go to the emergency room so we did. My wife planned on doing that no matter what the VA said but it's easier if jump through their hoops. By then I was delirious. Fastest they've ever got me in the ER. They did the preliminaries of name insurance etc. and the next thing I know I'm surrounded by doctors and nurses. My heart rate was 200 plus. They got that slowed using the paddles after drugs failed (knocked me out for that). Anyway once the heart rate was down to normal I could breathe again and felt 99% better. Next came doctors looking over the knee. They said the knee (infection) probably triggered the heart problem. Several doctors later they set me up for surgery Monday morning. They went in and took out the plastic spacer on the new knee and super cleaned it and everything else inside then stuck in some drain tubes and began pumping in antibiotics. It doesn't appear to be any super bacterial infection which is good. It did not appear to get to the bones in the new joints which is good. Got me on IV antibiotics for 6 weeks then oral antibiotics for 6 more. If this works the knee will be okay. If not I'll have to have a revision where they go in and take everything out, clean it out and leave it out awhile before putting it back in. We are talking of months of being bedridden so I sincerely pray that this fixes it. We should know in the next couple of weeks. Pain is not bad. Tylenol takes care of it. Sleep, like with many knee replacements has been elusive. I can walk normally (but slow) but still use a walking stick outside due to rough ground and catching my foot on the grass.

I have a special IV port in my left arm that's annoying. I asked him to use the left arm because I like to shoot rifles and didn't think the recoil and butt plate would be good against the IV line. Don't have much stamina yet but it's getting better. My knees have been bad for 3 years and I've lost a lot of muscle mass in that time. I was almost wheelchair bound before they did the first knee. There is hope on the horizon though. One day at a time! If you ever have this done the first couple of days after surgery will test the limits of your pain tolerance but it gets better every day.

View attachment 87999
20220604_150408.jpg

Attachments

• 20220614_090951.jpg
    20220614_090951.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6
Wow... even when I thrashed my knee dirt biking and it was equally swollen, it didn't look THAT bad. :oops:

Hope it gets better, man... go easy on it. Good luck!!! :confused:

On a wholly unrelated note, I hung a bunch of pictures today, but I ran up on a stumbling block for the posters... most of the wood paneling here is that pressed kind made in thin sheets, probably laminated under tons of pressure, and it's hard as rock when I try to push thumbtacks into it. Dangerous breakage involved: I narrowly avoided ripping my fingers open, so tacks are a no-go. I'm gonna hold off till tomorrow, make my way BACK to WallyWorld (I was just there today), and try to find some decent double-stick tape or adhesive strips/squares for the posters. Dunno what I'm gonna do with the cloth wall hangings, I was gonna use tacks but those are out now... maybe I can use adhesive (and tiny nails across the top). Worst-case scenario, I can drill pilot holes and use tiny screws, but that would be a PITA. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow that knee looks awful. Sure hope it heals up quickly!
It's been nice here but supposed to swing into the 90s tomorrow so I put the air conditioner in the window. Cleaned up the patio and put out the chairs and the table with the umbrella. Sucks doing all this by myself. Husband and I used to sit out there drinking beer and listening to the songbirds. Six months and it still hurts as bad as the first day.
Took the motorcycle out yesterday. Found some brand new road and opened the throttle for a while. The new seat pad and the full faced helmet make the ride a lot more comfortable, but running into trouble with the old hands aching and going numb. Going to have to find some sort of cruise lock so I can shake out my throttle hand and get some feeling back in it. At least when I'm riding my brain shuts up for a while.
Working extra, have to help cover one of the other districts. Yesterday I was down in the south part of the state, maybe 30 miles from Detroit, tomorrow I have site visits to do up near the Mighty Mac. Glad all those miles are on the company truck, and not mine.

Learned something new today. I took all the eye’s on my gas stove apart. After conventional cleaning 3/5 eyes didn’t light anymore. They sparked fine, just wouldn’t light the gas.

I learned 2 things...

1) there is a tiny hole in the stove eye assembly right behind the igniter. A paper clip fits in them nicely. If that tiny hole is stopped up the igniter will spark but the gas won’t light.

2) the shape of the cavity around the igniter is also very important. A few tiny pieces of gunk is enough to prevent the gas from igniting… even though it sparks fine.

So, I used my dremel tool to thoroughly clean the visible part of each stove eye. And the stove top under the eyes.

I cleaned out the tiny hole in each then reassemble the stove top. Each eye now works like it was new… And it’s as clean as it was new!

stove cleaninga.JPG

Last edited:
.......I'm gonna hold off till tomorrow, make my way BACK to WallyWorld (I was just there today), and try to find some decent double-stick tape or adhesive strips/squares for the posters. Dunno what I'm gonna do with the cloth wall hangings, I was gonna use tacks but those are out now... maybe I can use adhesive (and tiny nails across the top). Worst-case scenario, I can drill pilot holes and use tiny screws, but that would be a PITA. :rolleyes:

Would you be able to get small hooks of some kind that could go into the ceiling next to the wall? Perhaps a nice trim board screwed into the rafters that will then hold the hooks.

The old school way is to use fine fishing line to suspend the art work from the hooks, avoiding putting holes in the wallpaper.

Actually a vinegar and water bath helps the skin and is easier to wash & rinse.
Wow... even when I thrashed my knee dirt biking and it was equally swollen, it didn't look THAT bad. :oops:

Hope it gets better, man... go easy on it. Good luck!!! :confused:

On a wholly unrelated note, I hung a bunch of pictures today, but I ran up on a stumbling block for the posters... most of the wood paneling here is that pressed kind made in thin sheets, probably laminated under tons of pressure, and it's hard as rock when I try to push thumbtacks into it. Dangerous breakage involved: I narrowly avoided ripping my fingers open, so tacks are a no-go. I'm gonna hold off till tomorrow, make my way BACK to WallyWorld (I was just there today), and try to find some decent double-stick tape or adhesive strips/squares for the posters. Dunno what I'm gonna do with the cloth wall hangings, I was gonna use tacks but those are out now... maybe I can use adhesive (and tiny nails across the top). Worst-case scenario, I can drill pilot holes and use tiny screws, but that would be a PITA. :rolleyes:
Would you be able to get small hooks of some kind that could go into the ceiling next to the wall? Perhaps a nice trim board screwed into the rafters that will then hold the hooks.
The old school way is to use fine fishing line to suspend the art work from the hooks, avoiding putting holes in the wallpaper.
3M makes sticky back hooks that are rated by how much weight they will hold. I've used them in the trailer and they actually work pretty well.

@mosquitomountainman Hope you heal well and quickly so you can be finished with that part of the game. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Today was bonkers - kinda a hurry up and wait day. The waiting part gave me a couple opportunities to pop in here 😁 Had to drive to timbuktu and back. Wasn't too bad other than the waiting then the strapping a load that was a contortionist nightmare. The new rig isn't set up with all the little goodies like florescent strap tape for a long load or electric tape which doesn't damage powder coat finish. Little things like that.
Came home and baked grainfree cookies for Pa (made the dough before work this AM) since tomorrow is his Bday. Then made a rhubarb pie to go with the homemade icecream for Hubby because his Bday is Thursday. Man, these guys are getting old. And, Thursday is also Hubby's twin bros. Bday 🤔 so 3 Bdays in 2 days.

Today was bonkers - kinda a hurry up and wait day. The waiting part gave me a couple opportunities to pop in here 😁 Had to drive to timbuktu and back. Wasn't too bad other than the waiting then the strapping a load that was a contortionist nightmare. The new rig isn't set up with all the little goodies like florescent strap tape for a long load or electric tape which doesn't damage powder coat finish. Little things like that.
Came home and baked grainfree cookies for Pa (made the dough before work this AM) since tomorrow is his Bday. Then made a rhubarb pie to go with the homemade icecream for Hubby because his Bday is Thursday. Man, these guys are getting old. And, Thursday is also Hubby's twin bros. Bday 🤔 so 3 Bdays in 2 days.
Hmmm...

What did those boys to entertain themselves in September????

Ben

Mosquitomountainman, OUCH! That looks very very painful!

I work in a pharmacy and can tell you the insurance company switched it, not the pharmacy. I deal with this type of situation at least once daily for all kinds of meds. Have your doctor write DAW 1 or Dispense as Written on the prescription and make sure it’s written for the brand (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Tirosint whichever).

When you pick up your RX, if is the generic again just tell the technor the pharmacist to dispense brand only.
I don't have insurance so it wasn't an insurance company that changed my meds. I really don't know who makes the decisions. My doctor said he leaves the it vague in the prescription so the patient can decide. I called to let the doctor know I want to get a different medicine as euthyrox was making me very ill. I also called the pharmacy to request levothyroxine (which is what I was on before that was working) instead and explained why. RX should be ready tomorrow. My mother had to do the same thing a few years back so they only give her what she requested. I'm going to see if I can get a coupon for the levothyroxine so it won't be as expensive. I think I saw one for a 90 day supply for $10 or so. The scrip said "Synthroid" but they bottle said Levothyroxine. I remember the pill was purple and had L|75 on it.

I cooked shepherd's pie, washed some dishes, cleaned some crud out of the fridge, and made chocolate pudding from a powdered mix (per Mom's request). I also released the hounds so they are running amok in the kitchen.

Mosquitomountainman, OUCH! That looks very very painful!

I don't have insurance so it wasn't an insurance company that changed my meds. I really don't know who makes the decisions. My doctor said he leaves the it vague in the prescription so the patient can decide. I called to let the doctor know I want to get a different medicine as euthyrox was making me very ill. I also called the pharmacy to request levothyroxine (which is what I was on before that was working) instead and explained why. RX should be ready tomorrow. My mother had to do the same thing a few years back so they only give her what she requested. I'm going to see if I can get a coupon for the levothyroxine so it won't be as expensive. I think I saw one for a 90 day supply for $10 or so. The scrip said "Synthroid" but they bottle said Levothyroxine. I remember the pill was purple and had L|75 on it.

I cooked shepherd's pie, washed some dishes, cleaned some crud out of the fridge, and made chocolate pudding from a powdered mix (per Mom's request). I also released the hounds so they are running amok in the kitchen.
If you go to a chain pharmacy, their software switches to generic automatically. It's cheaper for corporate so they make more profit. Ask them to put a forced note on your profile so that it appears whenever the script is refilling. Of course that depends on if it gets read and acted on. That's what I do when I have special circumstances for patients. Some of them I just remember on my own or my pharmacist (who's been there for 30 years) remembers. If the pharmacy has a website or app where you can refill and manage your scripts just check ahead of time and give them a call.

Levothyroxine is the generic for Synthroid. The only coupon you'll be able to get for the generic would be the GoodRx cards or ask the pharmacy if they have other discount cards available. If you look online for one, try Scriptsave, BuzzRx, or Singlecare.

So my son’s hip issue had been put on the back burner until after his bone marrow transplant. But he was in so much pain on Monday they decided to xray it.

Turns out, he’s been walking around with a broken hip! 😮

And he’s getting a hip replacement today! They’re moving fast on the hip so they can hopefully keep a large part of the bone marrow transplant schedule intact. Really appreciate the surgeon and team squeezing him in after hours on what’s normally a non-surgery day for them.

So that’s what I’m doing today, lol

@mosquitomountainman, you remain in my family’s prayers - been keeping up with some of Sue’s posts. No words of wisdom to offer, just praying for the best.

So my son’s hip issue had been put on the back burner until after his bone marrow transplant. But he was in so much pain on Monday they decided to xray it.

And he’s getting a hip replacement today! They’re moving fast on the hip so they can hopefully keep a large part of the bone marrow transplant schedule intact. Really appreciate the surgeon and team squeezing him in after hours on what’s normally a non-surgery day for them.

@mosquitomountainman, you remain in my family’s prayers - been keeping up with some of Sue’s posts. No words of wisdom to offer, just praying for the best.
WOW!! So glad he can get taken care of today!! Keep us posted!!

I hope the various health issues I'm seeing here all improve quickly!

I'm working as usual, seems like the only time I can get caught up here. 😆 When I get home I'm too busy to sit and read. Caught a handful more mice in my garden beds, glad I bought more traps. Other than that just waiting for the end of the week. And some more rain, could definitely use that.

Prayers going up Goshen

Watered a bit today just to keep things going till the monsoon arrives, a 30% chance of rain is in the forecast for tomorrow & Friday. Hope it materializes, because we need it badly here in these drought conditions. :confused:

Ironically, the weed plants are doing best out there in the yard, five MMJ numbers which are healthy & happy, lol... saw a grasshopper on one plant today, thing must have been stoned out of its mind, lol. :oops:

Meh, let the critter get high on my weed, it's not like I really care that much about it, it's more of a soil amendment experiment than anything else... that and it's the first time I can legally grow dope, go figure. :rolleyes:

Shifted more boxes from the shop building to the mud room, so I can start working through 'em and sorting out what I want to keep and what I want to donate. Already started a donation pile, and it's growing too! :)

Of course, it's nice to see the really cool stuff again, things I'm definitely gonna keep... my home is starting to look the way it should, with awesome artwork & cool decor. Found my coffee table books, but I'm still looking for the tartan tablecloth. 🤔

Anyway, I gotta get cleaned up and hit town for that double-stick tape or adhesive strips/squares. I have some very nice posters which are totally old school, '60s & '70s travel posters from the Med, along with some Western posters. 🤠

Gotta buy some 'Spider Killer' at the Depot, I found another one of those nasty black spiders near my stuff in the shop building... it was actually under a box that I shifted, and these things are big & fast, so it's time for chemical warfare. 💀

That metal shop building is on a smooth slab, and it'll eventually be a workshop, once I clear the boxes out of it and donate some stuff as well. Those spiders gotta go, they've been trying to establish a foothold but I want 'em outta there... 😠

Otherwise, it's all good, gonna sort through more boxes today and get stuff where it needs to be... hopefully I find that tartan cloth I use for the coffee table, dunno where I stowed it when I was loading boxes. Hopefully I find it today. Cheers!!! :cool:

saw a grasshopper on one plant today, thing must have been stoned out of its mind, lol.

Did you look for the other one? Where there's a Cheech there's gotta be a Chong. 😂🤣😂

Had to order a new drawbar for my tractor. When we moved, my drawbar was stored in a safe place apparently. Husband needs to hook sprayer up to spray pastures and no drawbar to be found. Sent a text to my Son in Laws who helped us move almost 2 years ago to see if they even saw it. No dice. I looked yesterday after work until 5:15 and called N. Tractor and ordered it with the pins and everything needed to attach to stabilizer bars. Take a couple days to ship. Always something. Did mow with tractor in garden night before last where I dug 2 rows of potatoes. Ready to pull up some green bean plants since I only need enough to eat every now and then. Started to water as husband totally has given up on garden. 1 row of potatoes to pull up. Some of beans/peas are about ready to start to pick. Okra should bloom soon. Corn getting ready. Grass/weeds to deep to see if any melons or cantaloup are forming. Do plan to thaw/cook/can chicken over the weekend. Husband helping brother with hay and will be gone. I will have Friday/Sat and half day Sunday to get it done.

Latest posts

Back