What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now it looks as if I may be bringing two fixed juvenile female cats home with me... they've already bonded, so that's a plus. I certainly have the room here on this 1/2 acre, both indoors & out, yeah? And I'd welcome the slight challenge of bringing them into my family... frankly, I'm SICK & TIRED of all the gloom & doom, the manufactured grief, the dirty globalist swine and their corrupt political tools, the whole stinking [censored] mess. Time for some cheerful rehoming of kittehs!!! And p!$$ on the dirty globalist swine!!! Ditto for their fraudulent bought & sold scumbag politicians... they'll overstep the REAL boundaries soon enough, then the MOB will tear 'em to pieces, and GOOD RIDDANCE!!! Time to start thinking more positively, I reckon, and figure out ways to survive the coming chaos... these scumbags keep stirring the pot, sooner or later they're gonna get what's coming to 'em. True citizens & patriots will keep spreading the word, same way I do at every website I visit. :mad:

Funny thing, I ventured onto C/L just to see what people were saying about the latest developments, and would ya believe it? There are STILL leftist libtards rabidly frothing and denouncing Donald Trump, lol... what Trump has to do with ANY of this Biden BS is beyond me, but these leftist libtards are dumber than boxes of rocks, aye? Probably just some paid tools who sit in the basement all day and post anti-Trump BS, lol. To me, Trump already served his purpose: he showed true citizens & patriots exactly how corrupt and f/u this gubmint is. The fraudulent election simply drove that point home... kinda weird, all the TDS still lingering despite the stolen election. But like I said, ya don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a leftist libtard, lol. [Break] Pearl, I just saw your post, and the first girl is named Gracie... don't know the name of the young Siamese cat. I'll meet both tomorrow and see whether they like me... I don't mind rescuing two young cats who are already fixed, that saves me a lot of trouble. I'll sort out Tiger & Crackhead if they get gripped, lol... :oops:

We went and got a load of wood. The limit for the size of tree for cutting is 24". Hubby likes to push the limit. He likes them as big as allowed which makes them big and heavy! We are out of practice. Up the river we used 4-5 cord per year plus usually got some for elderly folks. We gave the trailer load to my folks. They let us borrow their trailer so we returned it full of wood. We also got quite a bit, maybe half cord in the back of the pick up for us to have. We had a little bit but want to have some on hand in case we have to use it to cook since we are all electric here. I've mentioned before, but I sure miss wood heat. It felt good to get out and get wood again. Oh yea, and he fell a tree down hill from the rig - oy!

We probably need one more load of wood for the winter. We were given a large wagon load from the amish school for being a driver, and that wood is cut and split to perfection. Called someone else for another load, and that is different lengths, and mostly not split, and too big for the stove. That's hard work, Lady L, you must be getting strong muscles! Love our wood heat. Saves us money, too.

Its my friend's birthday so I went over to visit. A little $ as a present so he can pay his utility bills. He was really stressed bc they are jerking him around. Also brought food from a local place and we pigged out. Went to the store to get some stuff Mom requested. (She was mad I didn't get the ice cream the doctor told her to stop eating, but she blames me for buying it when the doctor said her A1C was high).
On the way home we saw a guy with a flat tire. Stopped to see if he was ok and he said his spare was flat too. He said he had a friend nearby who could help him (just past the auxiliary fire station). He hopped in the back and he told us where to turn. Dropped him off and then headed home after making sure he didn't need a lift back. Unloaded groceries & got climbed on by the dogs.
They knocked Mom's cane out of her hand and her little chiweenie decided to defend her by getting between them & viciously barking/growling/snapping at them. He chased the male back about 6ft and stood guard after I got her cane for her and she made it to her bedroom.
Brother is having trouble bc he hurt his shoulder when he fell in the shower the other day. Looks like he's not going to be taking out trash or doing any lifting for awhile.

My son cooked brisket today, melt in your mouth.
I walked into Kroger last week, the brisket was $5.99 a pound(no ideal if that is a good price). It was reduced to $1.99 a pound so we got #30 pounds & took a piece over for son to cook.
It was Devine.

Last edited:
Well after reluctantly going into the city for work last week, I got notification today that my supervisor (who was also at the meeting event) tested positive for COVID... Now I will learn if wearing a mask helped or not.... Perfect.

Today is a range day and I need to be there (CFO/C-RSO) but I will have to keep my distance to avoid becoming a Typhoid Mary. So, all I can do is pray that my social distancing both at work and at home were enough to protect the wife....

This evening I'm taking a 2 hour class in First Aid at the shooting range. Since I'm the range safety officer for several shooting classes, I figure it is time to hone in my skills a bit more, and see if there is better equipment and materials out there, "just in case."

Did a quick soak and boil on 3# of pinto beans .
Sunday School and Church first this morning.
Came home and grilled pork steaks and deer sausage for future meals.
Started the beans cooking with some hot pork sausage, onions, bell peepers and garlic.
Might do ebay photos this afternoon and maybe not.

Havasu, first aid classes are always useful. I'm glad I took First Responder class back in college. A lot of stuff is outdated now, but I know how to do CPR, not to move someone with potential spinal injury, how to do the Heimlich maneuver, and how to bandage injuries.

Hooch, I can relate. It went from winter weather to summer weather overnight here. It changed its mind and waffled back and forth for a bit and now it is firmly summer. We didn't really have spring. Maybe a couple days were moderate but it went straight from chilly to hot.

Snappy, that sounds good! I like pinto beans. Mom is still eating the red beans and rice my brother made. It has too much grease for me so I didn't eat much more.

Joel, enjoy the birthday party!

I'm feeling tired again today. I need to do some cleaning. Not going to get help from my brother on anything- as usual. I got food for Mom and plan to cook tonight. I am debating going to Tractor Supply to get cow feed. Cows have been grazing a lot now that grass has grown in, but they have hollered at me a few times wanting sweet feed. I keep forgetting to bring some home. The heat outside annihilates any energy I have.

Got a new B&D Matrix with charger and battery for 38% percent off. It's an upgrade to the one I have bc it has an LED to illuminate the target area. That will come in handy.

Been watching videos on measuring tape tricks, how to install vinyl plank in doorways, how to install formica, etc. Also saw a way to color match caulk to paint (and paint can be matched to solid formica). I'm considering color-matching the formica I'll be putting in Mom's bathroom so I can caulk the seams between the backsplash and counter. I also want to run a bead down the front where the top and front meet & blend it in.

Wired up the last of the electrical for my outdoor outlets yesterday, flipped the breaker and it tripped immediately. Gave up for the day and went fishing with the old neighbor. Relaxed today until the sun went to the west, and behind clouds, so I wouldn't be in the sun or heat trouble shooting the electrical. Took apart the first outlet box and it looked OK but the ground wire was close to the screw on the outlet so moved it over, left the outlets out of the box and turned on the breaker and it was fine. Put the outlets back in the box and left the cover off and turned on the breaker and it was fine. Turned it off, put the cover on, turned it on and it tripped. I give up. So tired of working on this place.
We are getting a tiny bit of rain (heavy sprinkles for you mid-western folk) which is the first real rainfall in months. I think it might have been just enough moisture to put out the brush fires the lightening caused about 7 miles south of here. Reports are the two fires are out and they are working on the smoldering remains now.

Gonna try to make chicken fried rice for dinner. To hell with everything else.

Inresponse, I hope you can figure out what is happening with that outlet to trip the breaker. Have you ever posted the sister site Houserepairtalk? There is an electrical section. Someone there might have an idea what is wrong. Are you putting electrical tape on the outside of the outlet? Sometimes wrapping the outside can help to prevent shorts. Is it possible the face plate screw is hitting something? Unlikely I know, but its the only thing I can think of.

Inresponse, I hope you can figure out what is happening with that outlet to trip the breaker. Have you ever posted the sister site Houserepairtalk? There is an electrical section. Someone there might have an idea what is wrong. Are you putting electrical tape on the outside of the outlet? Sometimes wrapping the outside can help to prevent shorts. Is it possible the face plate screw is hitting something? Unlikely I know, but its the only thing I can think of.
Thank you, I will try wrapping the outlets with electrical tape. As for the cover, it is one of the outdoor weather resistant types with the doors that flap open when needed and has oblong holes that fit over the screw heads for the outlets which are then tightened to hold everything in place. plus the screws are in blind holes on the exterior box so there is no way the screws can touch a wire.
I have done every bit of electrical on this house and I am stumped at why putting the cover on the outlets and snugging down the screws would cause it to trip the breaker, it is fine when the outlets are loosely in place inside the box but snug it down and they trip the breaker.
Even though I don't want to I will go out and take a couple pictures and try the electrical tape. The clouds passed so no chance of lighting hitting the house and solving my problem.

Here is what I am working with, and with the cover off I used my outlet tester on this outlet and the next 3 in line and they are wired correctly. I took the cover off and flipped the breaker and it did not trip.
I have had this outlet connected for a while without any problems but this past week I wired in the next 4 boxes and now that I put this one back together it doesn't like the cover that was there before.
1656290206392.png

1656290219439.png

1656290242076.png

Helped my son do some adjustments on his motorcycle. He's taking classes on high performance racing-based stuff and exploring some different riding techniques, so we did some suspension adjustments today. He's learning things like going into corners using braking and throttle at the same time to set your tires a certain way for increased traction. Way over my head. Sounds complex. I don't know what I'm doing ... I just measured various suspension movements using calipers and a tape measure, with my son on and off the bike, and recorded times to dampen movement. My son did all the adjusting. His bike is evidently known for being pretty fast, but on the squirrelly side regarding handling (it's a Yamaha FZ-09). With his upgrades and custom adjustments, along with racing techniques he's learned combined with his "ultra-light" body build, he's pretty happy with the bike right now. He's looking at putting on full racing suspension, but that's quite an expense, so it will have to wait a while longer.

Bike.jpg

@zannej thanks for the boost to give it another look. I found the extra ground screw to be deformed with a sharp edge that cut through the insulation and the hot wire. The ground screw I used is across the box, I had a 50/50 chance of realizing this was a problem but I connected the ground to the good screw with soft, rounded edges. I guess the last couple times trying the breaker was enough to create a soot mark that was not there earlier when I had it open.
1656291153396.png

That shiny spot on the ground screw is razor sharp, The other screw on this box that I used is not like this and none of the other boxes had a screw that looked like this.
1656291171708.png

Tomorrow I will have to drop this last 6 foot section of plywood to place a box inside the soffit to splice in a new section of wire. Yay me. I have a box but I don't have a cover for it. I love this stuff. =-(
1656291674413.png

PS: the screen stapled over the edge is to keep birds and critters out until I get around to making this all pretty with some sort of decorative trim.

Helped my son do some adjustments on his motorcycle. He's taking classes on high performance racing-based stuff and exploring some different riding techniques, so we did some suspension adjustments today. He's learning things like going into corners using braking and throttle at the same time to set your tires a certain way for increased traction. Way over my head. Sounds complex. I don't know what I'm doing ... I just measured various suspension movements using calipers and a tape measure, with my son on and off the bike, and recorded times to dampen movement. My son did all the adjusting. His bike is evidently known for being pretty fast, but on the squirrelly side regarding handling (it's a Yamaha FZ-09). With his upgrades and custom adjustments, along with racing techniques he's learned combined with his "ultra-light" body build, he's pretty happy with the bike right now. He's looking at putting on full racing suspension, but that's quite an expense, so it will have to wait a while longer.

View attachment 88680

Ah, brings back memories of my rice rocket days... the bikes have changed, but ours were still pretty fast, lol. :oops:

Has your son watched 'The Age of 27' film about Casey Stoner? Probably be his kind of flick, even though it's Moto GP. Those riders are hardcore, they race in the rain and everything, lol... crazy fools!!! An entertaining movie though... ;)

Wow! I had a laundry list of things to do this weekend. I got tons done but not very many things marked off the list. Friday, I was working away and got a call from the folks who bought our place up the mountain. The windshield for my bronco was delivered there. So spent the afternoon driving to go get it. I wasn't very happy about that. Yesterday, we went and got wood. Today, played in the garden, then went to church. After church, I did get the grill cleaned which was on the list. I am dehydrating eggs, kale, and collards. I'm nearly ready for bed so might turn the eggs down really low for the night. Just the thicker spots are not completely dry. I should have started them at night so I could finish up during the day. Hubby cleaned up the driveway and in front of the garage (at my gentle suggestion ;)) It looks sooo much nicer. We have 1 locust tree and had maple leaves that had blown in, weeds that needed whacked, etc. He took the pressure washer to it afterwards. We've both been busy this weekend which isn't a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back