What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this very moment I’m enjoying a cup of coffee in the waiting room after finishing a round of my bi-weekly physical therapy.
Exactly 6 weeks ago today I had total knee replacement surgery.
I’m walking without a cane, have been for almost two weeks.
This is my second such surgery, I had the other one done in 2014.

The best thing is I’ve lost 29 pounds in those 6 weeks.
Not being at work for my 3-days-a-week job, I haven’t been supplementing my bag lunches with Taco Bell or Hardee’s.
Plus, I’ve cut back on portion size. This, combined with pt at rehab plus pt at home is working wonders.

Also, gearing up to get knee replacements. I’m looking forward to walking without pain (hopefully).
You will not regret it.
After suffering bone on bone osteoarthritis for 30 years in my right knee, I got a total knee replacement.
This was in 2014. I had gotten to the point where I actually could not walk farther than 10-15 yards. Pain was unbelievable. I’m sure you know!!

What a miracle!! I had put it off so long simply because of fear.
So, when my left knee began to go bone on bone, I did not put it off, because I knew what to expect. I had surgery 6 weeks ago today.

ADVICE: do not let them talk you into doing both knees in a short time span. Some people get them a month apart, some even sooner. I personally would not do this! Give it a few months for one to heal before doing the other.
At 6 weeks I’m just now beginning to walk normally.

Physical therapy is the key! Do your pt to at least a 110% level!! 100% is not enough. You will be given exercises to do at home between PT sessions. DO THEM!!
This is live altering surgery, you’ve really only got one chance at it. The surgery itself is common place, it is the pt that is essential.
It takes 8 months to a year to fully heal, but don’t let that scare you.

I’m on your side all the way. If you have any questions, ask me. You can do it in private message if you with.

When you are done, you will ask yourself why you waited so long.
Please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Tank-Girl, Oh no! I hope Landshark will be ok. Sending you some hugs and good vibes her way.
Yesterday I cut weeds next to the sidewalk to make it easier for UPS delivery of the new TV. When it arrived the lady accidentally dropped it (but it's ok-- landed on a corner and didn't fall far). She helped me get it in the door. Got up at 2am to clean in the living room and kitchen so I could make sure I could get the tv carried in. Went to the store (got a salad for breakfast) & post office (got new phone). Set up new phone, linked handsets, etc. Then had bro help me get tv to living room. Got old TV out and got new one set up by myself. Mom is now watching Youtube on it and the sound is so good it doesn't need the sound bar.
Thunderstorm is starting up so I'm about to get a nap.

Last edited:
Yesterday morning as I sat reading my "Morning Message" I saw this critter heading to the right which is where they are harvesting onions so he/she headed right back to the left and gave me the opportunity to grab my phone. Glad I'm not trying to keep small critters on the place. Fox are pretty but not nice.
fox.jpg

Everything done we can for the wedding reception in our back yard tonight - made it as purdy as possible and set up tables, chairs and basic decorations. Flowers will go out on the tables later - they are chilling in the fridge now because they were seriously wilting in the Utah heat. In about 45 min the moms of the groom and bride will come over with food and final decorations and at some point in time it will be all over! The newlyweds are an adorable couple, and the groom is close friends with my two youngest sons, so we're happy to do this for them - but it will be nice going back to letting the yard be a little more wild and enjoy it rather than maintain it :)
IMG_20220810_160802.jpg

IMG_20220810_160834.jpg

Over the years we have had several families of red fox in our woodlot and the woods next door.
Florida fox, both grey and red, rarely get much bigger than a large house cat. They are maybe half the size of the one in the photo.
Even though they can climb, I've only lost one hen to them since I surrounded the chicken area with 6 foot high chainlink. She was adventurous soul, and took to hopping up to the top rail of the fence.
One day she must have gone over, because all that was left was a trail of white feathers out to the spot in the woods where they have a trail blazed.

@dademoss and @Rick and all other cat lovers....international day of the cat was this week. I google searched cat, scrolled down a little bit, found a large paw print on the right under some photos of cute kitties, clicked on the paw print (or tap for touch screen) and a big kitty arm stretched across the screen and MEOW was heard. Ya can't do it just once. :D:rolleyes:

I have everything prepped to print a shirt on the silk screen set up. I will get to that shortly. The first screen I prepped I messed up a tiny bit, not bad and I could have corrected it but since it is my first sample to show the folks in the area I decided to make a new screen so it will be perfect. In a bit I will give it a try. If all goes well I will make a couple more screens tomorrow and then print a small variety of shirts to sell at the farmers market on Saturday. I told the neighbor that he "requested" the YOUR PRESIDENT IS AN IDIOT design because I am a 'BUSINESS OWNER" and wanted to push the blame for the political design on someone else. He laughed and said no problem.
Work went well tonight, the temps outside are comfortably cool, and within the next half hour I will give the screen print thing a try.
Catch ya all tomorrow (today).

OK, I am officially back into the screen printing business. First shirt done for the neighbor. He can wear it and show it off to friends so I, as the business owner, can say I just made it for a customer and dodge the political finger pointing. Although in Utah most of those fingers will be on the right hand anyway. Tomorrow I will hopefully make up a couple more screens, one for the local community, and print up a few shirts out of the left over stock I have in boxes and head to the corner on Saturday to see if anything sells. If I am lucky I will print up a few business cards or fliers to hand out to anyone that is interested in custom shirts.
I am almost as stoked as I was 12 years ago when I printed my first shirt..
1660203626203.png

Went shopping yesterday. I can't believe the prices. Eggs are $5 at Walmart now....I didn't buy any but we need to charge more for ours at the market. Farmers market eggs from free range happy chickens cannot be cheaper than factory farm walmart eggs...
No gallon water jugs still but that's ok we don't absolutely need them.
Dog food cans are ridiculous now but I did get a few for the puppy .
Thankfully bananas are still cheap

Making bread dough today ( some of it). It needs to sit in the fridge overnight
We had a flood watch yesterday but it didn't rain. These weather people just have no clue

Inresponse: why the t-shirt? I mean I agree with you but I wouldn't wear this shirt. It just makes you a target in some places plus changes nothing. Just wondering what your motivation is behind it , no offense intended

It's State Fair time! Going to be taking my daughter down to Des Moines to eat corn dogs, see the critters, eat fried oreos, look at ag exhibits, eat grater taters, look at the white trash fair freaks, and then eat fried ice cream and maybe watch a concert. My cousin's daughter was crowned county fair queen back home and will be in the state fair queen competition too so we might watch her if we get the chance...

I'm glad we don't have 60 chickens anymore, only 12.
When we started 27 years ago, a 50# bag of feed was less than $6.
By the end of Biden's first year, $16.
Today, $20. PER BAG!!!!!

Currently at the laundromat, catching up on chores before I start 9 days on call 😩.
Will head to the gym after this and then to the DMV to get a replacement title for our convertible so we can sell it before the prices go down.
Spent the last 2 days on the property. Finally got the sawmill together, got the permit for septic and have been waiting 2 weeks for the well guys to get out there!!
We cut down some trees, hubs who is an experienced logger fell a tree that headed the wrong way and came within a foot of hitting the dump truck. Talk about puckering

Attachments

• 49910926-9AF9-4A0E-9795-B3E70341A54E.jpeg
    49910926-9AF9-4A0E-9795-B3E70341A54E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 85D2B764-7A85-4E8B-ABE5-710A6DBD975E.jpeg
    85D2B764-7A85-4E8B-ABE5-710A6DBD975E.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Inresponse: why the t-shirt? I mean I agree with you but I wouldn't wear this shirt. It just makes you a target in some places plus changes nothing. Just wondering what your motivation is behind it , no offense intended
It will be popular in Utah. I agree, it is not something to wear to certain locations and especially in some cities. I made that one for the neighbor, I will probably print up 3 more to take to the corner and see what people think. But, it isn't much different than the Let's Go Brandon shirts and bumper stickers and I have seen enough of the FJB shirts and bumper stickers to believe people will be interested. There are still plenty of pickups around here flying the Trump flags.

It's State Fair time! Going to be taking my daughter down to Des Moines to eat corn dogs, see the critters, eat fried oreos, look at ag exhibits, eat grater taters, look at the white trash fair freaks, and then eat fried ice cream and maybe watch a concert. My cousin's daughter was crowned county fair queen back home and will be in the state fair queen competition too so we might watch her if we get the chance...

I'm looking forward to our County Fair & Rodeo in September... should be fun! :cool:

Watered the trees & plants this morning, and even though I said there'd be no goathead demolition, I wound up pulling or scuffing about 50 more of the damned vines. Half were the small ones growing out of dirt hard as cement, the other half were hiding below larger weeds... some of them were loaded with goatheads too, so I had to pull 'em by hand, but at least I caught them in time and they're now in the trash bin. These blasted puncturevines sure are tough, they grow where nothing else can gain a toehold, not even cactus! How I missed some of the larger vines earlier is beyond me, I'm beginning to think that these goatheads can camouflage themselves like the dinosaur in 'JURASSIC WORLD'---I'll check an area, return next day and check it again, lo and behold, there will be some puncturevines where I could've sworn there were none, lol. Damn, these blasted weeds will drive ya NUTS!!! :oops:

Anyway, I'm all cleaned up and ready to relax, hoping there will be "heavy rain" as forecast. Clouds are rumbling, but that doesn't always mean it'll rain here in the Tularosa Basin. During the monsoon in Arizona, a 30% chance of rain means it'll pour down later, raining cats & dogs, but here in New Mexico, 30% means 30%, pfffffft. It's kinda disappointing, I miss those terrific AZ thunderstorms with heller rain, lightning & loud thunderclaps! I've been here since February and I've yet to see a storm that even comes close to those AZ storms... meh, we're farther from the Gulf of California, and we don't always get that moisture from the Gulf of Mexico, so it's drier here. That's just the way it is... :confused:

Landshark is home and very sore and sorry with herself.
She was extremely happy to see me but the poor thing was so sore she couldn't do her zoomie spaz out.
She's dropped so much weight that her collar hangs off her.
You can tell she's been through an ordeal.
She tried to jump into the back of the car before I had even opened the door up.
I was going to lift her in but she was having none of that.."Get me outta here Mum!"
BUT she's alive and I got her back and that's what counts!
Unfortunately between the tears, tissues, explanations and pitbull urination irrigation - Landshark's water works still work that's for sure! I left her meds on the vet's front counter.
*sigh*
Another 45 min trip to pick up her meds.
The good thing about it is this little community has two small supermarkets that I'll scope out for some sales.

Fried oreos??? That sounds atrocious!
Currently at the laundromat, catching up on chores before I start 9 days on call 😩.
Will head to the gym after this and then to the DMV to get a replacement title for our convertible so we can sell it before the prices go down.
Spent the last 2 days on the property. Finally got the sawmill together, got the permit for septic and have been waiting 2 weeks for the well guys to get out there!!
We cut down some trees, hubs who is an experienced logger fell a tree that headed the wrong way and came within a foot of hitting the dump truck. Talk about puckering
Glad it missed!
She was extremely happy to see me but the poor thing was so sore she couldn't do her zoomie spaz out.
She tried to jump into the back of the car before I had even opened the door up.
I was going to lift her in but she was having none of that.."Get me outta here Mum!"
Unfortunately between the tears, tissues, explanations and pitbull urination irrigation - Landshark's water works still work that's for sure! I left her meds on the vet's front counter.
*sigh*
The good thing about it is this little community has two small supermarkets that I'll scope out for some sales.
Yay! Big sigh of relief! Bet it was a toss up as to who was most glad to see the other 😊

*sigh*
So glad that the two of your are together again. You will heal each other.💞

Latest posts

Back