What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still lurking here... gotta start trimming those buds soon, or do 'em manana, grab another cold beer right now and watch a movie, lol. It's easier to trim the buds in daylight hours, not so easy in artificial light... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, lol. What might happen? I FIRE myself? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Think I'll tell "The Boss" (moi, NOT Pearl in this particular case) to "TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT, I AIN'T WORKIN' HERE NO MORE!!!" ;)
I must say, this cold beer tastes pretty darned good... my first today, ya know. Downright goldurned delicious! :dancing:

P.S. Bummer about the scalding hot coffee, Spikedriver, gotta be careful with those hot liquids!!! Also, I agree about NOT buying a vehicle previously owned by a smoker, you'll NEVER get that funky smell outta there... :confused:

First time since early spring I’ve been able to walk down my favorite creek. It’s been in various stages of flooding all summer.

But I had a nice walk in the water, checked on a few species of plants, a beautiful day out in the woods.

All in all and nice way to spend the afternoon.

Freeman oct22 16a.JPG
Freeman oct22 17a.JPG

Put it in a pillow case (in case the bag breaks) and do the floor slam dunk or smack it with a hammer like Peanut did. He just bought a hammer that he could lend you if you don't have one.

If you end up with hand sized chunks and don't want to smack it anymore, use a cheese grater as/when needed.

Sugar breaks up pretty easy.
Thanks. I have dropped on floor a few times and it is getting better. Work on it this weekend. I have several hammers as well

I bought a brand new 3lb shop hammer. I washed off the oil residue and anything else that might have been on it. I then used one of the big disposable basting/turkey pans to put the sugar in and covered the sugar with a clean towel... then I beat the crap out of it. Hey, it worked. (I needed a new hammer anyway, dad had misplaced my old one)

A quiet day, picked some more peppers and made pepper sauce.
That is a plan. Thanks . Husband may complain about noise but I will probably try everything

It's been a busy couple of days and I will have a couple more. Sunday should be calmer.
Have done the usual walking, walking dogs and garden chores. Adding now tearing down okra (trees) plants.
Only have 3 okra plants left, one watermelon and one jalapeno plant--all producing.
Wednesday, I saw my insurance lady to help me cancel old policy. I was told it was done, but no. Stopped at local grocery for a halfway decent sale.
Had another business meeting at Church about accepting an offer for the sale. I just think we are being pushed into it. Church hasn't been listed much over a month and this is the first offer and is for half the asking price. I think there is some deception going on but without the funds to hire a lawyer, it will probably just go through.
Yesterday, I took a friend to a doc appointment, stopped at Walmart for a few things they didn't have the last time.
Came home then had a haircut early afternoon.
not the most dramatic life, but who needs that? And it's always interesting!

I refuse to pay $4 a lb for awful lunchmeat, so this will be packaged for that
I'm hoping to get a small meat slicer that was donated to Church. I will put in a small bid, when I can.
How to you do that? Freeze it I mean... Do you brown it with spices added? What spices, a mix?
The last time I did this, I went simple. Browned ground beef and drained- put in containers, added my homemade taco seasoning on top, then a layer of refried beans which we use in everything Mexican. Froze. When I thawed it, I mixed it up and heated.
. I make it myself because I leave out the salt
Me too! Add salt at the end if needed.

Sitting in the car in line at the animal shelter gates. Had to get out out and tell "Karen" behind me to turn her high beams off!! It's daylight and we will be waiting another 10 minutes at least for them to start taking our cats. They have a limit on how may free fixes they do a day, Annie and I are fifth in line so I know we will get in!! This is so great of our county to do free cat spays and neuters! Just noticed "Karen" lit a cigarette, her cat is probably not enjoying her second hand smoke! Hope there are not too many Karens in Walmart when I go, I'm kinda having one of those zero tolerance days!

I'm off today so I made a run to the hardware store... got plywood and 2X4s.... Although I am off I have a report that I am writing and I can only do it for so long before my eyes glaze over... ;)

I bought an IR temperature sensor and have been rapidly seeing some things. The back of my solar panels in the morning (still dark morning) was 20 degrees F lower than the outside air temp, which I expected due to black body radiation and a clear sky. Once the sun came up the back of the solar panels was 40 degrees warmer than the outside air temperature, so they would be a good source of solar thermal energy on sunny days...

So much to do.....

Good on ya, Pearl, for getting that cat fixed... I'll be taking Zorlac in on 10/17 so he can get neutered, while Z-Girl & Black Diamond will get spayed mid-November. Maybe they'll all settle down a bit afterward, the blasted varmints, lol. :rolleyes:

Slow morning here, I was up late watching movies on TV... and I'm slightly hung over to boot. But at least it rained again last night, so I dont hafta get out and water the trees & plants, which is a time-saving bonus. ;)

The replacement title to my totalled car came in the mail today. I got some paperwork done and am preparing to send that all in so I can get paid. Been car shopping online. It's a frustrating experience because used car prices are so insane right now. There's a dealer nearby in rebuilt title cars that says he's getting a 2015 Toyota Camry in a few days that was totalled for hail damage. It is supposed to have 123,000 miles and will be around $13,000. That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Trying to beat this last level of Starcraft 1 again, Possibly going to eat after work. Celebrating the weekend coming, I get a three day weekend, if I can iron out some more details, I'll write a sequel to the other short stories I wrote for people at work.

Will be going to pick up Annie in a bit. Walmart was quiet this morning, no Karens!! At least not that I ran across. Must have been giving off the "stay away from me" vibe!😃 Getting some stuff done around the house, a quick nap Is fixin' to happen before I head back to town. Will be glad to get back home!!

Animal work this morning, identifying toms we need to butcher. Although husband likes them all, but I have 5 toms and 4 hens in the junior turkey run, and that is not happening well right now. I had to break up a tom fight yesterday using a sawhorse. So three of those toms are going to need to go to freezer camp soon. I know the neighbor guy is eyeing them, so maybe he can help me to get one. Finished lunch, need to do dishes, and then get out to work on the greenhouse.

Took mom and dad back to the eye Dr this morning. Dad got a great report. Left there and noticed a tire was low so stopped and topped it off. Went to cracker barrel and we ate a gooooood breakfast. Then to grocery store for sale stuff mother had found. Got them back home and came home myself. Got plenty of weeds to mow. No rain so very little grass. But the weeds look awful.

Still moving slowly here, haven't even crawled into the shower yet, lol... but I met the local firewood guy as he was delivering a truckload of split & seasoned wood to a neighbor's home. Just wanted to ask him how much a truckload of wood cost, so when I burn off the stumps & branches in my yard I can call him and get some decent wood. Each truckload costs $150, but he'll probably cut me a deal since I'm willing to take 'rounds' instead of split wood, as long as the rounds are seasoned. They're for my stone fire ring out front, I don't have a fireplace or wood stove anymore, but I'd like to have wood available for campfires out front once the other stuff is gone. I gave the guy a big ol' bud spear for the hell of it, so we're on friendly terms now, lol. That's something I gotta do after I get cleaned up, trim those remaining bud spears... good thing I'm not doing anything else today, dunno why I was hung over this morning, guess I drank more beer than I thought, lol. But I had a good time watching 'PALE RIDER' and that surfing flick... so no worries. :cool:

I'm kinda having one of those zero tolerance days!

LOL, all of mine seem to be that way if I have to go out, most times it's too peopley for my liking.

Been going back and forth with a family a couple hours away most of the morning, and yesterday for a while. That said I get to go and meet another Malinois in a couple days, they need to rehome her, 2 years old, full blooded Mal, and she is partial to men over women which is exactly one of my requirements. Zeus and Chase had minimal rehoming fees, but this girl doesn't want anything other than for the dog to have a good home. 1500 to 2000 dollars for these dogs, and people just give up, I'll admit she does have her hands full with 3 other dogs and 2 boys. She acquired the dog from a friend of her hubby's that was being deployed.

Anywho, meet Kenna.

Kenna.jpeg

Still moving slowly here, haven't even crawled into the shower yet, lol... but I met the local firewood guy as he was delivering a truckload of split & seasoned wood to a neighbor's home. Just wanted to ask him how much a truckload of wood cost, so when I burn off the stumps & branches in my yard I can call him and get some decent wood. Each truckload costs $150, but he'll probably cut me a deal since I'm willing to take 'rounds' instead of split wood, as long as the rounds are seasoned. They're for my stone fire ring out front, I don't have a fireplace or wood stove anymore, but I'd like to have wood available for campfires out front once the other stuff is gone. I gave the guy a big ol' bud spear for the hell of it, so we're on friendly terms now, lol. That's something I gotta do after I get cleaned up, trim those remaining bud spears... good thing I'm not doing anything else today, dunno why I was hung over this morning, guess I drank more beer than I thought, lol. But I had a good time watching 'PALE RIDER' and that surfing flick... so no worries. :cool:
I assume by "bud spear" you mean asparagus?😁

LOL, all of mine seem to be that way if I have to go out, most times it's too peopley for my liking.

Been going back and forth with a family a couple hours away most of the morning, and yesterday for a while. That said I get to go and meet another Malinois in a couple days, they need to rehome her, 2 years old, full blooded Mal, and she is partial to men over women which is exactly one of my requirements. Zeus and Chase had minimal rehoming fees, but this girl doesn't want anything other than for the dog to have a good home. 1500 to 2000 dollars for these dogs, and people just give up, I'll admit she does have her hands full with 3 other dogs and 2 boys. She acquired the dog from a friend of her hubby's that was being deployed.

Anywho, meet Kenna.

View attachment 95503
Curious what Chase will think?!

Lowes today.

They were short staffed and had to wait a whole for someone to do the custom windows I needed. The windows were 15% off but the computer allowed my 10% veterans discount! About 22% off total. That is $1000 that can be used dor other supplies.

Then loaded the truck with (8) 4x8 sheets of 1" rigid foam insulation. It will be used for the greenhouse.

Doesn't seem like a lot but it killed my afternoon.

Ben

Good on ya, Curmudgeon, for rescuing that doggie... :cool:

I was gonna trim those buds, but it's so dark and gloomy indoors from the overcast sky outside, I might just leave it till morning. I feel better now that I've recovered from my hangover, that Emergen-C packet I drank earlier was a good hangover killer. I didn't have a headache or anything like that, I was just moving like a snail through molasses, or like peanut butter in the wintertime after staying up till 0200 hours watching those films. I hardly ever stay up that late, but on the other hand, I'm a big boy and I can stay up late if I choose to do so, lol. ;)

I think I'll go check the NOAA Weather forecast, as I'd like to go riding tomorrow... not sure if the weather will comply. I won't bother riding in the rain, no fun in doing that, even though my riding suit would probably keep me fairly dry. Those Dunlop knobbies are great tires, but there's no point in testing my luck on wet roads or trails, aye? I can afford to wait, I don't HAVE to ride in the elements, lol. But I'd like to go, I might try Silver Lake again if I do, maybe the place will actually be open on Saturday... those Mescalero Apaches keep odd hours, lol. We'll see what the forecast says... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
TGIF! I made it through another week of work. Today went by fairly quick for once. Worked then made a couple stops on the way home to get Bailey's for DH, wine for me and heart meds for my dog. Had to go to two different package stores, the one with the good price on Bailey's doesn't carry the wine I like. 😆 Got a little cleaning up done, then DH came home and wanted to go out for dinner. Went to Italian place we like, I got the a special: butternut squash ravioli with this cream sauce and caramelized onions. It was soooo good. Also had a caramel apple sangria so a bit more talkative than usual. hehe Having some wine now, I'll probably be in bed soon. I sleep so much better after a couple drinks.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping then to my parents' to do chores. After that I'm hoping I can put together a new shelving unit for my spare room. I'm trying to get more organized since we don't have much storage space. I'm having trouble balancing how much I want to stock with how much storage space I have. I need to get some shelving units for the cellar too so I can get the bins off the floor. There always seems like there's too much that needs to be done.

Sunday is fishing and a buddy of ours that we don't see that often will be joining us. We're hoping we might be able to get some trout, but we'll see. I haven't used the live well in FIL's boat yet so dunno how it'll go. We're going to a nice clean pond that we like to fish at but we can't during the summer. Well, we don't like to during the summer cuz there's far too many jetskis and speed boats towing waterskiers or tubes with kids for it to be good fishing. We only go there when the weather is too cold or rainy for that type of boater to be out. Although that's not a guarantee, one time we went it was around 45F, gray and drizzling on and off, we're fishing and this dude came out onto one of the docks in shorts with no shirt, got on a jetski and was tooling around for a bit. I had to assume he was still drunk from the night before. 🤣

Finished the green paint on the front porch yesterday and it dried before the rains came in so that's good. Have to wait til Mon or Tues to go back out and do the white parts, depending on the weather. Why do I always end up trying to rush temp dependent jobs late in the year? Scored a free yard of mulch from a landscaper friend, just had to go pick it up with my trailer.
Dad had another fall, cracked his head, had to send him to the hospital. He's going to have to go into a facility when he's discharged, he can't live at home anymore. The dementia is just to far advanced now.

Finished the green paint on the front porch yesterday and it dried before the rains came in so that's good. Have to wait til Mon or Tues to go back out and do the white parts, depending on the weather. Why do I always end up trying to rush temp dependent jobs late in the year? Scored a free yard of mulch from a landscaper friend, just had to go pick it up with my trailer.
Dad had another fall, cracked his head, had to send him to the hospital. He's going to have to go into a facility when he's discharged, he can't live at home anymore. The dementia is just to far advanced now.
🙏

Ran errands this morning, heartworm med for 3 remaining dogs, and while at Walmart I got flu and pneumonia shot that is final ever! This afternoon I pruned a cedar, holly and an elm tree as high as I could with chainsaw and ladder and hauled all limbs off. Tomorrow alterations on grands dress for homecoming dance and keeping 3 year old twins

Going to the next town overs Fall Festival. The twins go to HS there, and they are in the band parade. It's a small festival, probably have lunch there and last year there were a few rides that little granddaughter enjoyed. I finished the doors on the greenhouse yesterday and got all the tools and extra plastic put away. One is just a weighted flap door, and the other is framed, although it hangs on one side an inch or so different than the other. But it'll work. Now to order the tposts, weed cloth, and chicken wire to do the grow boxes with. Also want to find a small table and 2 chairs to put in there. Husband can ride in the greenhouse on his scooter, and it'll be a good place to set up lunch for us when the weather is cold.

Latest posts

Back