What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today will be a fun day for me, I make and sell walking sticks. Today I will be wondering around the woods 😆 looking for what I consider a good stick
I need 5 more

6BDE3EA7-D9B0-4BEB-B424-0EB3B01C8117.jpeg

Hope they got to see the Dr. today?!
The reason they are seeing their Doctor is another story.

A month ago Family member's (FM) doctor HIGHLY recommended gallbladder removal. FM ignored Doctor's advice.

Last weekend FM ended up in extreme pain and in the local hospital with a Gall stone blockage. Transported to the big city hospital by ambulance for emergency surgery. Surgery went as expected. Discharge nurse read the form informing FM how important it was to take the prescribed antibiotic medicine. FM signed that FM received the information verbally and in written form. When I was taking the FM home FM started questioning the need for the antibiotics. I stressed how the antibiotics were important AND if they didn't take them they could end up back in the hospital with a doctor carving out infection. FM agreed and said they would take them as soon as they got home.

I find out they didn't take the antibiotics. Instead FM called a friend who had been a nurse back in 1812 (I'm exaggerating a little) for their opinion which the FM didn't agree with. Then the FM didn't like the potential side of the antibiotics. FM then made an appointment with their GP Doctor hoping for an agreeable opinion. When I realized this I read the FM the riot act. Now the FM is pain. FM has stopped taking their regular medicine for fear the antibiotics would conflict EVEN THOUGH THE DISCHARGE NURSE, THE FORM FM SIGNED AND MYSELF CONFIRMED NUMEROUS TIMES THAT THE ANTIBIOTICS CAN BE TAKED WITH THEIR CURRENT MEDICATIONS!

Normally I'm a patience person but with this FM my patience has worn thin. For prevention I might pop a couple of Aspirin before I pick FM up today. At least this time I have the correct day and time confirmation straight from the GP Doctor's receptionist month.

Oh yea. They asked if I would do their Federal and State tax returns for them. Gee...I'm so sorry I will not have the time to do so.

Last edited:
Got my new little freezer. 7cuft, all I need through the summer veggie season. It's cooling now, will go pick up the bull calf meat about 5pm. Shopping for this freezer was enlightening. I checked the review websites of so called experts. Read uncounted reviews of owners.

80% of the complaints stemmed from service related issues. Specifically, difficulty in getting replacement parts, ie supply chain issues.

This made all the brand names look bad, that and all the freezers I looked at were made in china... including the GE brand I bought.

Hopefully this one will last a few years.

20230330_Frzer 257a.jpg
20230330_Frzer 310a.jpg

Got my new little freezer. 7cuft, all I need through the summer veggie season. It's cooling now, will go pick up the bull calf meat about 5pm. Shopping for this freezer was enlightening. I checked the review websites of so called experts. Read uncounted reviews of owners.

80% of the complaints stemmed from service related issues. Specifically, difficulty in getting replacement parts, ie supply chain issues.

This made all the brand names look bad, that and all the freezers I looked at were made in china... including the GE brand I bought.

View attachment 106297View attachment 106298
Yeah,  made in China, assembled in Mexico.... Looks just like mine!!😉😃

Frodo, I wish it was easy to send you sticks from my yard. Find all sorts of cool ones.

I cleaned litterboxes and had to lug in a new container of litter. I think I used half of the thing filling up the litterboxes so I'll need to get more litter asap. I wish I could get larger quantities but I can't lift the larger ones. I need some sort of setup where I can split the larger quantity stuff into smaller containers that are easier to manage.

Sir Hammington is still missing. I'm hoping he's off on some adventure and that he'll come back. Longest one of mine was missing was 2 weeks.

I worked more on the shimming of the walls in my bathroom. I thought the right wall angled away from the tub as it got toward the end but upon closer inspection I realize the wall bows in the middle so both edges are farther away from the tub and I will need to deal with that when shimming. Both side walls have more give than I'd like, but there's not much I can do about it because cutting them out at this point is not an option. I'm hoping that the cementboard and thinset will make it tougher. At least I can use thinset to correct some of the imperfections and get it straighter. And the wallset has some flex to it and I imagine with 1/4" bead of caulk that will help a little.

View attachment 106297View attachment 106298
That's the same one I got! It uses almost no power (can't remember off the top of my head per day.)
Hope you love it.

Got my new little freezer.
How do you organize a top-door chest freezer? So that you can see what all you have in there, and most importantly, reach in there to retrieve it? I guess I'm just too used to our upright freezer. You can see and reach everything. But we always have it crammed full. Maybe with a chest freezer, you don't cram it so full as with an upright? I've always wondered this. Do you have to pull things out and set them somewhere in order to dig down to the things on the bottom? Or do you just leave it half full so you have room to rearrange stuff when you need to get to the bottom items?

How do you organize a top-door chest freezer? So that you can see what all you have in there, and most importantly, reach in there to retrieve it? I guess I'm just too used to our upright freezer. You can see and reach everything. But we always have it crammed full. Maybe with a chest freezer, you don't cram it so full as with an upright? I've always wondered this. Do you have to pull things out and set them somewhere in order to dig down to the things on the bottom? Or do you just leave it half full so you have room to rearrange stuff when you need to get to the bottom items?
I'm with you. I KNOW I would lose stuff in a chest freezer.

Frodo, I wish it was easy to send you sticks from my yard. Find all sorts of cool ones.

I cleaned litterboxes and had to lug in a new container of litter. I think I used half of the thing filling up the litterboxes so I'll need to get more litter asap. I wish I could get larger quantities but I can't lift the larger ones. I need some sort of setup where I can split the larger quantity stuff into smaller containers that are easier to manage.

Sir Hammington is still missing. I'm hoping he's off on some adventure and that he'll come back. Longest one of mine was missing was 2 weeks.

I worked more on the shimming of the walls in my bathroom. I thought the right wall angled away from the tub as it got toward the end but upon closer inspection I realize the wall bows in the middle so both edges are farther away from the tub and I will need to deal with that when shimming. Both side walls have more give than I'd like, but there's not much I can do about it because cutting them out at this point is not an option. I'm hoping that the cementboard and thinset will make it tougher. At least I can use thinset to correct some of the imperfections and get it straighter. And the wallset has some flex to it and I imagine with 1/4" bead of caulk that will help a little.
Hope your kitty comes home soon, keep us posted!

How do you organize a top-door chest freezer?

New freezers come with rails, baskets and dividers. Downside: I lose a couple ft of storage area. Upside, it is easy to keep up with what is in there, group items by type etc.

My new little freezer has two moveable baskets but I need something for the bottom. Next trip to town I'll get a few small totes so I can sort things better.

This is the big freezer I got last year... At the time I was disappointed with these new fangled "baskets/rails". Concerned by loss of space. After using it for a year, I'll not go back to the old way were everything gets piled on everything else. Can't find or even keep up with the contents. These new baskets make it a breeze.

Freezer 04 4a .JPG

Last edited:
Hope your kitty comes home soon, keep us posted!
me too, I would hate it if one of my dogs disappeared for more than an hour...

Well, we had 2 unexpected goat kids just now. Just took care of mom and babies, 2 nice boys, everyone is ok. This is the half Nubian ( milk goat) we have been waiting on, but she really does not have a milk goat udder. Oh well. I must have messed up the date somehow because I thought she was due much later.

I must have messed up the date somehow because I thought she was due much later.
It must have been that wild weekend party, she probably got some whacky weed and lost her morals. 🤪 Maybe to embarrassed to mention it to you, didn’t want you to think she is a bad girl. 🤪🤪

Wait, GOATS have MORALS? Should be a shoo-in for the next presidential election, if they can just get past the fraud! ;)

Maybe they can chew multiple boxes of those fraudulent Dem ballots... truckloads of 'em, lol. :oops:

Or chew on the wiring of the fraudulent voting machines, pffffffft.... 😒

I like milk crates for seperating stuff in our chest freezers. Stackable, easy to lift one to get to another. Hard to overload

I'm glad you posted! I have a dozen old milk crates over at the old barn. Forgot about them over time.
--------------------------------------------------------

After I finished with freezers and beef I went to check what my cousin was up to. He came over to do some fencing, replaced a couple gates today. Said he was finally going to bring a herd over. It’ll be nice to have cattle here again, I know dad will be thrilled, able to sit on his porch and watch cows graze. I took my cousin’s JD 5115 for a test drive, nice tractor. He said this engine package was about 130hp.

20230330_tfmar01123a.jpg
20230330_tfmar01801a.jpg
20230330_tfmar01903a.jpg

Woke up to a light fog this morning. It was kind of cool.
Fed S the cat next door.

I keep planting seeds in seed starting trays. I've been trying to do a few trays or pots every day. I'm almost out of trays and want/need to order some more. I have full trays of things like jalapenos and green bell peppers. I plan on giving some to friends, and to also try to sell some. Some stuff is up, but still small, but it is about two months before we normally plant here, so they still have time to grow. I have plenty more planting to do. I wanted to get my veggies planted first, then start some flower seeds. I have broccoli and cauliflower to plant next. I've got some asparagus seeds planted but want to do more.

Bought more lights for seedlings and more seeds today. Yesterday at the hardware store, the clerk told me that they got this years seeds in last fall. Another hardware store seems to have problems getting seeds. Different companies.

Took Z and M to the dog park. Windy day, almost lost my hat.

Took N to the dog park. I try to do a little cleaning in this park every day. Parts of it have thick mats of hair and in my 5 years of using this park, I've never seen anyone clean it up. The challenge is that I only do a little at a time because of the trash can situation. A rake full of this hair with sand mixed in, that I do try to shake out, is heavy. I don't want to have the trash bags rip as a result of all of the weight.

A little grocery shopping.

Fed S the cat next door.

Feel like having a nap.

After I finished with freezers and beef I went to check what my cousin was up to. He came over to do some fencing, replaced a couple gates today. Said he was finally going to bring a herd over. It’ll be nice to have cattle here again, I know dad will be thrilled, able to sit on his porch and watch cows graze. I took my cousin’s JD 5115 for a test drive, nice tractor. He said this engine package was about 130hp.
It is great that he is getting the fence fixed that the previous youngster didn't have time for.

My grandfather and a neighbor shared a property line and had a double fence there, a few feet apart. Word was that there was a problem, but the grandparents didn't talk about such things. It came to me from someone else who didn't know the full story.

Probably didn't mention this earlier, but I bought an apple tree and 7 or 8 packets of seeds today, the tree will go in the ground tomorrow morning if the stupid wind dies down. Right now it's in the lee of the house, which happens to be the NE corner, aye? I'll be glad when this goldurned wind f#%s off and dies, I'm about tired of it, lol... but the seed packets won't be ready to put in the ground for a matter of days or weeks, we'll see what each packet says. Multiple varieties of squash, sweet bell peppers, hot peppers & sweet corn, should be a good mix with the melons I also plan on cultivating... it'll be hard for these stupid high winds to pick up a melon and hurl it, but they just might do it, lol. We shall see... 😒

Pics of the apple tree in the ground later, right now it's hard cider time and I'm feelin' pretty good, lol... :thumbs:

Probably didn't mention this earlier, but I bought an apple tree and 7 or 8 packets of seeds today, the tree will go in the ground tomorrow morning if the stupid wind dies down. Right now it's in the lee of the house, which happens to be the NE corner, aye? I'll be glad when this goldurned wind f#%s off and dies, I'm about tired of it, lol... but the seed packets won't be ready to put in the ground for a matter of days or weeks, we'll see what each packet says. Multiple varieties of squash, sweet bell peppers, hot peppers & sweet corn, should be a good mix with the melons I also plan on cultivating... it'll be hard for these stupid high winds to pick up a melon and hurl it, but they just might do it, lol. We shall see... 😒

Pics of the apple tree in the ground later, right now it's hard cider time and I'm feelin' pretty good, lol... :thumbs:
We get lots of wind also. Drives me crazy. We have a metal shop. I’ve told Hubby more than once, we also need a kite shop 🪁

Wind has been strong here for a few days. Yesterday was in the 40s but the windchill was 23, even when the sun was out.
Right now I'm in my chair, with a blanket, and the small electric heater going. The heater core in my truck has issues, so I'm driving it without using the heater and I got really chilled by the time I got home. But we got two more loads of wood cut and hauled to my brother's house, and that's a big help for him since propane is so expensive. He has a small woodstove in the livingroom and tries to keep it going and the furnace off as much as possible. I'm old and out of shape so the work wears me out but I know it's good for me. We're getting the wood for free from my daughter's workplace. They had to clear out some cottonwood, ash, box elder, etc from their fence row but couldn't get anyone to take the wood, since it's not high value firewood, so these big trunks have just been laying there in a pile for a couple of years. My daughter is always thinking and she tells the boss - I know someone who would take that wood - and there we go! Free wood, and while it's not aged oak or anything fancy, it still heats the house!
Amish are the twins completely moved out now? Is it a huge feeling of relief, or a bit nervous that it's too good to be true and they may try pulling something yet?
Wingnut I wish I had some of your hard cider, but it would help with all these muscle aches!

Today will be a fun day for me, I make and sell walking sticks. Today I will be wondering around the woods 😆 looking for what I consider a good stick
I need 5 more

View attachment 106236
My pops has a walking stick given to him years ago by one of the old locals. It was made from a gnarly dead tree that isn't supposed to grow in Central Iowa, but there it was on this guy's land. The finished stick looks a lot like the ones you have there. Very cool.

Slept great last night, woke up feeling uneasy at about 3pm so took my BP meds and realized I needed to get them refilled. Called the pharmacy and drove up to get them. The old town grocery store also has a deli and I grabbed some Chicken Fingers (actually dang near whole chicken breasts) to eat before work and an extra that I will heat up here shortly for my before bedtime snack. Saturday is the neighbors chili cook off party, they even had plaques made for first, second and third place. I may get on the other computer here in a bit and design a Tshirt based on the plaque she designed and have a first place Tshirt for the winner. I have plenty of Tshirts on the shelf so thought it would be a good idea to help spread the word of what I can make for people. One design cut for first place out of heat transfer vinyl and the winner can tell me their shirt size and I can come home and press it on a shirt and hand it to them. Easy advertising and also contributing to the party. I asked if I could invite the new coworker lady and her husband and was told I could. The new coworker is a great worker who has been with the company for a long time and recently transferred to out overnight team. I invited her and her reply was her husband isn't much for hanging out with new people. Kinda mentioned he is more into hanging out with his biker gang friends. Soooo, although she is a great person and great coworker I don't think this retired LEO will be socializing with the 1%er and his wife. :ghostly:

Work was good, the truck unload went well and we had more than enough stuff to keep us all busy stocking shelves but out substitute boss wanted our crew to pack down stuff from the overheads instead of putting the new stuff out. Lady coworker and I finished the one aisle we started a couple days ago, she on one side and me on the other and BS'n the entire time we were working. Half way through that part of the night I mentioned things were going slow and we would have been working way harder and making more progress if we were putting out the new stuff but then we laughed and enjoyed out relatively easy night.

Weather morons claimed we were supposed to get snow and then thunderstorms but that turned out to be maybe an inch of snow and no rain. The snow had melted before I even woke up. Supposedly we will have clear skies and sunshine all weekend so that is a good thing. Until the weather morons change their mind again.

Just looked at the weather and we have a high wind warning for tomorrow. Up to 80 mph wind, crap! That's a hurricane....
I wonder if the entire barn door will fly away this time, or the house
Not sure how to prepare for this. We might get 50 mph gusts sometimes but 80 wow
What's with the weather lately?

Going to take care of animals and plant some potatoes if we have time before it rains

Latest posts

Back