What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been watching dozens of old movies on TCM. Literally 1 per day. My only requrements are that they be made before 1961 and not too stupid (DH doesn't like Danny Kaye movies....)

Last month and up until yesterday, we were watching (again for some; first time for some) DR. WHO older shows that ran in a marathon up till 1/1. All my faves and it turns out, 2014 must have been a really busy year for us as we had not seen any of those... No wonder 2015 shows made no sense to us when we watched them.

The older shows had morals and points to them. Showed evil as evil, not as a mixed "maybe we just had a tough alien childhood" hahaha but you get my point.

Dislike the current Doctor (but loved her in other roles). And sick of all the "PC-ness".

I feel the same way about PC agendas in most movies today or really violent. Most recent movie that was not so PC or violent had lots of older men actors in it was 'The Man In The chair' and ironically it was about old Hollywood movie personnel.

@Aerindel @Neb I think you two and especiaally uur spouses would like this
A true story also some biology and history, good movie,watched it last night.

Tonight I saw the most refreshing bit of television I’ve seen in ages, a sitcom…

Believe it or not the writing was honest. The sitcom has a little town up the mountains of Colorado. The town has a mayor, a young idealistic “woke” mayor. The writers actually poked fun at the “woke” mayor in a very humorous way. It was funny! And honest!

Okay, here's the description. It’s similar to the early 90’s sitcom “3rd Rock from the Sun”. Except there is only one alien.

The show is “Resident Alien” on the SCFY channel. An alien crash lands up in the mountains. He finds a cabin and kills the owner (a doctor), then assumes his physical form.

1) He spends the winter learning english watching the tv show “Law & Order” and fishing.

2) He’s fishing for the owner/doctor whose body he lost under the ice in the lake by the cabin. He doesn’t want someone else to find it.

3) He’s also searching the snow-covered peaks. A component fell off his space craft. He desperately needs it to finish his mission.

In the little nearby town, the town doctor is murdered. The sheriff comes and asks for his help… do the autopsy for starters. He begins to interact with various towns people.

Remember now… he’s an alien who learned english and how act human from tv.

Funny but not at all predictable… written really well.

4) He learns there is one person in town who can see his real form. A boy, who happens to be the mayor’s son…

5) At the end of the episode his “mission” is revealed. He’s here to eradicate humans.

I’m going to watch it again just because of the writing, they poke fun at everybody!

"Dicing with death" on Amazon prime.

Which is a really stupid name, but its a great show. Its a series of documentaries about off road truck drivers in a whole bunch of countries with terrible or non existent roads. Just normal people trying to move loads of lumber, or sand, or rice, or whatever in the third world in really bad circumstances. Really fascinating stuff to me. They are constantly stuck, broke down etc, and trying to get moving with spit and duct tape.

"Dicing with death" on Amazon prime.

Which is a really stupid name, but its a great show. Its a series of documentaries about off road truck drivers in a whole bunch of countries with terrible or non existent roads. Just normal people trying to move loads of lumber, or sand, or rice, or whatever in the third world in really bad circumstances. Really fascinating stuff to me. They are constantly stuck, broke down etc, and trying to get moving with spit and duct tape
Interesting.

Last weekend, I watched one of my cousins on Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins. He is the son of my first cousin, but my first cousin was also in the place when the show was filmed. It was great to see him as well. I watched it a second time. They brew beer onsite and there is a beer with the family name on it.

I watch the triple D show also. I keep mulling over a weekend trip. The first thing I checked was a couple of the cooking websites to see if they had been to restaurants in that city... lol. Might as well know the best places to eat before I go.

Last edited:
I am watching a tiny jumper spider who sometimes visits me in my office. Here it is on my inbox files...

jumper spider.png

He jumped onto my computer screen and chased the arrow cursor for a while (we had a blast!).

Then I made a little meme out of it and sent it to a friend who has been feeling down lately. In the photo below, it was stalking the arrow cursor on my computer screen.

jumper spider meme.png

I don't particularly care for spiders unless they are working in my garden, but I just love my little Jump-Jump, who visits me fairly often.

I know I am a little eccentric, but I don't care because it doesn't take much to make me happy, lol.

I am watching a tiny jumper spider who sometimes visits me in my office. Here it is on my inbox files...

View attachment 58417

He jumped onto my computer screen and chased the arrow cursor for a while (we had a blast!).

Then I made a little meme out of it and sent it to a friend who has been feeling down lately. In the photo below, it was stalking the arrow cursor on my computer screen.

View attachment 58419

I don't particularly care for spiders unless they are working in my garden, but I just love my little Jump-Jump, who visits me fairly often.

I know I am a little eccentric, but I don't care because it doesn't take much to make me happy, lol.

About 40 yr ago I had a little jumper that always came down when I took a bath and watched me in the tub. He'd sit and watch then when I got out he would go back up into his hiding place in window sill.

Not surprisingly, there are actually Facebook groups that cater to people who have Jumper Spiders as pets. There is a brisk market for these spiders in the pet trade. Some of the photos on these groups are incredible in showing how tame and personable these little guys can be!

I would have never believed it until little Jump-Jump showed up on the job and volunteered to be my office assistant. He is on my payroll now, lol.

Not surprisingly, there are actually Facebook groups that cater to people who have Jumper Spiders as pets. There is a brisk market for these spiders in the pet trade. Some of the photos on these groups are incredible in showing how tame and personable these little guys can be!

I would have never believed it until little Jump-Jump showed up on the job and volunteered to be my office assistant. He is on my payroll now, lol.

LOL, I don't like em that much Grizett but I didn't see any sense in killing it since it didn't bother me. I may have alittle hindu in me,lol,JK,

This is what i'm watching,

Last weekend, I watched one of my cousins on Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins. He is the son of my first cousin, but my first cousin was also in the place when the show was filmed. It was great to see him as well. I watched it a second time. They brew beer onsite and there is a beer with the family name on it.
Hi, Weedygarden.
So nice to see you back.
You were missed.

Bridgerton! Has anyone else watched it? It is not for everyone, but it is a hit sensation.

My best friend was a theater teacher, now retired from that. She is also a very talented actress, singer, musician. She has watched this series and because of her theater background, is totally enthralled with it, and is one of the many people who has watched the series more than once. She lives in Florida now, but keeps calling me and discussing this series. Neither of us are into romance novels, but we have both been involved in aspects of theater. I have never been a center of attention, on stage person, but I have painted many sets and sewn many costumes.

I have other friends who have called me to see if I watched it and to ask questions and to discuss the show. The music is enthralling. The dances are fun. I have never been a dancer of any sort. And there is a love story, which while fun, is not all of it. I have fast forwarded through a few scenes. I have really never been into watching love stories. They are mostly not my thing.

When it came out that it was the most streamed series on Netflix, I was not surprised. I think of it as something that many people needed after our COVID situation. Reddit has some good conversations about it.

If you think it is a series for women, think again. I have seen men discuss the series and they are so interested.

My interest in family history has given me much information about these times for my ancestors. That played into it for me as well.

Back