What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not seen "1917."
A friend of mine and I will watch stuff at the same time, approximately sometimes and compare notes and ideas. One of our lists included trying to see everything Colin Firth was in. We are maybe 2/3 through the list. He has been in more than 80 movies and I believe he was in "1917." I believe I have to pay to view that, which is why I haven't watched it yet. I pay to watch movies occasionally, but not regularly.

Coming Firth is in the movie. But I gotta admit I didn't recognize him in it. I'd have to watch it again and keep in mind that he wouldn't look like he did in Bridget Jones' Diary 😏
I did recognize Benedict Cumberbatch, though.
I actually like the fact that although they are incredibly famous, they didn't play a large role in 1917.

Colin Firth is in the movie. But I gotta admit I didn't recognize him in it. I'd have to watch it again and keep in mind that he wouldn't look like he did in Bridget Jones' Diary 😏
I did recognize Benedict Cumberbatch, though.
I actually like the fact that although they are incredibly famous, they didn't play a large role in 1917.
I think he was probably at his best in looks in Bridget Jones' Diary. I only saw it in its entirety a few months ago and until then, didn't realize just how attractive he is or was. I know I've seen him in other films, such as the King's Speech, but just never tuned in to him until I watched Bridget Jones' Diary. He is 60 now, 20 years older than when he played Mark Darcy in Bridget Jones Diary. He has also gone through a painful divorce and has moved back to England. He is definitely showing his age. I do have a friend who has been tuned in to him for years. I've just never been all about Hollywood types. I've never understood how people can get all obsessed about someone they will never meet or know.

I think he was probably at his best in looks in Bridget Jones' Diary. I only saw it in its entirety a few months ago and until then, didn't realize just how attractive he is or was. I know I've seen him in other films, such as the King's Speech, but just never tuned in to him until I watched Bridget Jones' Diary. He is 60 now, 20 years older than when he played Mark Darcy in Bridget Jones Diary. He has also gone through a painful divorce and has moved back to England. He is definitely showing his age. I do have a friend who has been tuned in to him for years. I've just never been all about Hollywood types. I've never understood how people can get all obsessed about someone they will never meet or know.
I was thinking of adding Bridget Jones' Diary to my list. I wasn't a big fan of the second one, so probably just the first one. I still have to watch the King's Speech.
Oh, I used to be into celebrities but that's out the window now. The whole "never meet your heroes" thing. Not that I've ever met one but when you so publicly see their failings, you get that it's not worth practically worshipping them. There are personalities I like but I try to stay objective about them, too.

I was thinking of adding Bridget Jones' Diary to my list. I wasn't a big fan of the second one, so probably just the first one. I still have to watch the King's Speech.
Oh, I used to be into celebrities but that's out the window now. The whole "never meet your heroes" thing. Not that I've ever met one but when you so publicly see their failings, you get that it's not worth practically worshipping them. There are personalities I like but I try to stay objective about them, too.
There are three movies in the Bridget Jones series, 1. Bridget Jones Diary, 2. Bridget Jones, Edge of Reason, 3. Bridget Jones Baby.

1. I remember Bridget Jones Diary playing in my living room, many years ago, but I was probably not sitting down watching it. I was probably doing something else, such as cleaning, cooking, baking. Daughter was probably watching it, a movie rental. I remember the scene where she has her window wide open, it is snowing, and she is calling to Mark Darcy, but he doesn't hear her. It is almost the end of the movie. But that is all I remembered of the whole movie even when I watched it a few months ago. Nothing else about it was jogged in my memory when I watched it.
2. Edge of Reason-- some things I didn't like about the movie either, but there are a few scenes that I really did like.
3. Baby--I didn't care for much of this movie either, but again, there are a few scenes that I did like and I wanted to finish all three of the movies.

The whole Bridget Jones concept is basically based off of Pride and Prejudice. There are several interpretations of that book in film form. The main characters in the book, Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy have been changed up in several different films and plays. In Bridget Jones, we get Mark Darcy who is attracted to Bridget Jones, but is snobby to her, just as Mr. Darcy is in P & P, until she tells him, in each of the film variations. Darcy is always wealthy, no matter the film. Elizabeth, is almost always his mental equivalent, and challenges him, but in Bridget Jones, she does it mostly with an honest "Yes, but?"

Colin Firth looks good in a suit and tie. He became an actor because he didn't want to be a suit and tie person.

Whatever I watch, I read about the storyline, the actors, the setting, the music, and more. Renee Zellweger is an actress whom I like and have seen in a few movies, but something about her is a little off. I cannot put a finger on it.

Last edited:
"Rear Window" with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly, a Hitchcock movie

I've seen it before, but the wife of a cousin was talking about what a good movie it is, so I watched it again. I had completely forgotten what it was about. I just remembered that it was a great move.

Also just watched Self/less with Ryan Reynolds.

A real roller coaster ride.

All in all, a pretty good film. The wife also approved of this one, but she was biased, what with Ryan Reynolds being in it.

I haven't posted in a while... I watched the entire Tour de France which ended last weekend. This years race was excellent. There was excitement down to the very end. The riders can be in different classifications which means there are riders with different goals during each days race. It makes for very interesting races.

Sadly, NBC televised the race. I think Elmer Fudd is secretly the "director of sports programming" at nbc. Who ever it is thinks slower than Elmer speaks. They pulled bone head moves during the entire Tour. But then they've been screwing up sports broadcasts for the last several years, especially nascar truck series races.

Today I'm watching the Olympics. The air rifle competition was great. I watched some of the beach volleyball and one softball game. Since it's being televised by nbc... they can't even give a schedule of the events they are going to air and the time. I'm left to randomly flip channels hoping to catch something interesting.

Last edited:
I tried watching Heroes again. The first season is worth the watch. Actually the first three quarters of the first season is worth watching.
By season 2, I already felt myself pushing my way through it. By season 3, episode 2 or 3 I couldn't anymore.

The characters were so....dumb. in the sense that they never developed. From the beginning to where I stopped, with all they had gone through, they were still so naive and childish in their thinking and they never seemed to learn. So many times, they'd blindly trust any newcomer that came along with "the answers"...who then turned out to be a bad guy. And they always seemed so shocked to have been lied to and used and mislead.

I couldn't take it seriously anymore. Maybe I'll give it another try much, much later. I do want to know how it ends.

Maybe I will lose my Man Card for this, but I kind of stopped worrying about stuff like that some time go, so here goes....

The wife LOVES Hallmark movies. In the spirit of marriage and compromise, I started watching them with her. I have to say, they grow on you. Sure, they are all predictable...but they are good-hearted, and most of them are pretty decent ways to pass the time with you spouse.

Watching this one. Some of the goofy Hallmark stuff is there, but it is generally well written and acted...the characters are likable. Plot? It is one of the "all-business careerist city girl/guy goes to the country, and...."

The Tomorrow War. Almost at the end and I like it.

I watched it a number of times saw a couple of interesting mistakes... but that's not fair... I watch my movies in 15 minute blocks and it usually takes me 3 viewings to catch all the important ties...

Right now I am finishing up Danger Close, it's a Vietnam type move with an Australian perspective...

I haven't posted in a while... I watched the entire Tour de France which ended last weekend. This years race was excellent. There was excitement down to the very end. The riders can be in different classifications which means there are riders with different goals during each days race. It makes for very interesting races.

Sadly, NBC televised the race. I think Elmer Fudd is secretly the "director of sports programming" at nbc. Who ever it is thinks slower than Elmer speaks. They pulled bone head moves during the entire Tour. But then they've been screwing up sports broadcasts for the last several years, especially nascar truck series races.

Today I'm watching the Olympics. The air rifle competition was great. I watched some of the beach volleyball and one softball game. Since it's being televised by nbc... they can't even give a schedule of the events they are going to air and the time. I'm left to randomly flip channels hoping to catch something interesting.
Good for you. I also watched the entire TDF, thought it was one of the best in recent years. Watched it on alternative media (Tiz) so only had the British commentators to deal with, Sean kelly is the best. Of course my favorite rider is Wout van Aert, who produced beyond hopes. Watched the Olympic RR only, Wout outdid himself again.

Maybe I will lose my Man Card for this, but I kind of stopped worrying about stuff like that some time go, so here goes....

The wife LOVES Hallmark movies. In the spirit of marriage and compromise, I started watching them with her. I have to say, they grow on you. Sure, they are all predictable...but they are good-hearted, and most of them are pretty decent ways to pass the time with you spouse.

Watching this one. Some of the goofy Hallmark stuff is there, but it is generally well written and acted...the characters are likable. Plot? It is one of the "all-business careerist city girl/guy goes to the country, and...."

I didn't think I was a romance movie person either, and then COVID hit. Well, I now know I am, but I don't have a man card to lose. I know there were many years when I didn't watch them. I have also realized that I am not into violence, so some movies just get turned off when the violence begins. But as a woman, I think it is deemed a little more acceptable to watch romance movies. Yes, they are predictable, and many are shallow, but better than killing, fighting, and violence, imho. I do not have the Hallmark channel, but I have seen some Hallmark movies recently. I think I used to have it when I had cable, but wasn't so interested then.

The actor in the clip is Ryan Paevey and I have seen him enough to know him when I see him. (I have come to know many actors and actresses in the last year) When I did my Pride and Prejudice thing of watching all movies that are based on the P & P idea of people meeting each other and not being kind to each other, I saw him in a movie called Unleashing Mr. Darcy. There is a follow up, Marrying Mr. Darcy, which I have not seen yet.

Last edited:
... Yes, they are predictable, and many are shallow, but better than killing, fighting, and violence, imho.
Agreed.

I actually like an "action" movie, even with violence, as long as the violence is good conquering evil, and the violence is made necessary by the plot, and is not gratuitous or glorified. My wife is even more strict on this.

But, sometimes it is just nice to watch a nice non-violent movie with the wife...and it does seem more wholesome. (Of course, even romance movies can take things too far in that direction, glorifying sex, etc., but Hallmark doesn't seem to do this.)

I realized that my wife gives many things (like movies or TV shows) a second chance only because I like them. So, I gave the Hallmark movies a second chance, because she likes them.

Last edited:

Lol. I don't feel so bad now. Wife got me to watch one back before Christmas. We ended up watching several on the weekends. They were better than most anything Hollywood puts out

I got husband started on Quantum Leap series, which he thought would be dumb and hokey, and sometimes Green Acres. He usually only likes action packed, and I get very tired of super hero movies. Am liking The Agents of Shield, but almost done with that. So I'll go back to my old shows. I think I've seen most Gunsmoke. Need to watch How the West Was Won, the series from the start. Trying to get him going on Highway to Heaven, but he's reluctant. We don't watch alot of tv, so it's hard to choose.

Love The Mentalist. Really liked The Guardian but it dwindled away at the end. Like they didn't know what to do with the story at a certain point.
My wife really loved the Mentalist...because the stories were so well written, I'm sure.
Simon-Baker1.jpg

I am going to be curious how you like Season 3 of Virgin River.
Weeelllll...... sigh. It's okay. But the more they depart from the books, the less I like it. I thought the first season was a masterful blend of plot lines from several of Robyn Carr's book series - really well done. And when they differed from the books, it was still done well. Now I am less enamored.

I supposed my dissatisfaction could be based on the fact that I liked the books and therefor find it jarring when the show takes the same characters but changes things - sort of an affront to my loyalty to the books. But I don't think it's that. I think the show writers just aren't as good scripting the show as Robyn Carr was in writing the books.

Weeelllll...... sigh. It's okay. But the more they depart from the books, the less I like it. I thought the first season was a masterful blend of plot lines from several of Robyn Carr's book series - really well done. And when they differed from the books, it was still done well. Now I am less enamored.

I supposed my dissatisfaction could be based on the fact that I liked the books and therefor find it jarring when the show takes the same characters but changes things - sort of an affront to my loyalty to the books. But I don't think it's that. I think the show writers just aren't as good scripting the show as Robyn Carr was in writing the books.
Well, I watched it and was just not happy with it. A friend was really not happy with it! In researching about it (I often research about what I watch) it seems that Annette O'Toole was quarantined, and they had to change up many things as a result. It may have cost them the future of the show.

Latest posts

Back