What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, they grow on you. Sure, they are all predictable...but they are good-hearted, and most of them are pretty decent ...
This makes me think of some of my reading decisions. Sure, I like stuff that makes me think, is exciting, etc. But sometimes (a lot of times) I just want to be entertained with something simple and easy, something wholesome that I can read a bit of and put down before I go to sleep. I read a lot of the Love Inspired books - short romance novels like Harlequins, but without the sex. Predictable plots, yes - and sometimes the writing stinks (I keep a running list of authors to avoid) - but mostly they are simple, enjoyable, and wholesome. Sometimes that's just what we need.

This makes me think of some of my reading decisions. Sure, I like stuff that makes me think, is exciting, etc. But sometimes (a lot of times) I just want to be entertained with something simple and easy, something wholesome that I can read a bit of and put down before I go to sleep. I read a lot of the Love Inspired books - short romance novels like Harlequins, but without the sex. Predictable plots, yes - and sometimes the writing stinks (I keep a running list of authors to avoid) - but mostly they are simple, enjoyable, and wholesome. Sometimes that's just what we need.
A few years ago, I read about a woman who was struggling with work, Jasinda Wilder. She started writing romance novels, but from what I remember, her writing is pretty sexual. No thank you. If I remember correctly, she cranked one out ever couple months or so and became wildly popular. Her husband also became involved in her writing. I have no idea how wild her books are, but she no longer struggles to pay for the mortgage or food for her children. I don't read romance novels, at least the more recent ones. I like older stuff, such as Jane Austen, which is not romance, but more about how life was years ago.

A few years ago, I read about a woman who was struggling with work, Jasinda Wilder. She started writing romance novels, but from what I remember, her writing is pretty sexual. No thank you.
I don't recognize that name. I know if you go to the section of books with the shorter romance novels (I think they're called category romance?), there's quite a range of options. One series - called Blaze, I think - is very sexual if the covers are any indication. Then there are series that have sex, but it's not the main focus. And then there's Love Inspired, which is faith-based and has no sex. It used to be overtly faith-based, now it seems more generic but still discusses things like living God's will, forgiving others and/or ourselves, or believing in God's love for each of us. Sort of the Hallmark Channel for romance novels.

...it seems that Annette O'Toole was quarantined, and they had to change up many things as a result. It may have cost them the future of the show.
I never even considered that there might have been a writer change. That's interesting! And explains a lot....

I don't recognize that name. I know if you go to the section of books with the shorter romance novels (I think they're called category romance?), there's quite a range of options. One series - called Blaze, I think - is very sexual if the covers are any indication. Then there are series that have sex, but it's not the main focus. And then there's Love Inspired, which is faith-based and has no sex. It used to be overtly faith-based, now it seems more generic but still discusses things like living God's will, forgiving others and/or ourselves, or believing in God's love for each of us. Sort of the Hallmark Channel for romance novels.
The most recent romance novels that I read were faith based, and were a rural setting and not in recent times. I no longer remember the author, but they were very popular. A friend gave me hers and asked me to pass them on. I enjoyed them, but no longer have them.

I am sure that some people would like sexual content, but not me!

I'm pretty sure it was the Love Inspired series that were given to me.

This is Jasinda Wilder's web page.
https://jasindawilder.com/#&panel1-1

Last night I watched a movie from the 70's w/charles bronson... Death Wish, it was a pretty good movie. I don't remember the last time I watched it, been decades at least. I've seen the new version with Bruce Willis which is also good. When the movie last night ended I caught the last 2 hrs of "Casablanca".

Tonight I watched "See No Evil, Hear No Evil" w/richard pryor and gene wilder. Those guy were just plain funny together. Haven't seen it in ages either.

Last edited:
Last night on late night tv I saw "Richard Pryor Live at the Sunset Strip". It was great, laughed so hard. I'd forgotten how funny he really was. It was also a step back in time, hearing his jokes in context of life in 1982.

I hope someone airs George Carlin soon.
I recently saw that Richard Pryor used to hang out in the Denver area when he was a young man. He had a girlfriend who lived in the area.

I caught Humphrey Bogart movies the last 2 nights. One I'd never seen, was pretty good, "Key Largo". A young Lauren Bacall was the female lead, she was smoking hot. I've never seen her in a movie when this young. I think maybe 22/23.

Key Largo is a movie about people stranded in a hurricane in the FL Keys, appropriate this week. Edward G. Robinson played the mobster.

Underground Marvels- Mystery of the Kentucky Caves-Mammoth Cave
Everyone should that for themselves. Awesome place. Just don't forget the last 1/4 mile or so, you are climbing what is best described as a fire tower.
I wanted to do the wild cave tour back in the 80s when we went. They wouldbt let me go, said my chest was larger diameter than the smaller openings.

I watched college football most of yesterday. There were a couple of really good games and a couple of surprises. LSU got their hats handed to them by UCLA, that was a shocker. LSU looked like it was the first day of spring camp. No part of that team was ready to play.

Yes, excellent game, best one of the day. Early in the year I'd expect a defensive battle but this one was extra special. From what I saw GA is back! A real SEC contender. It was hard to judge the Bama game. Their opponent wasn't in the same league. I caught part of the TN game and part of the MS state game. They both looked good.

Latest posts

Back