What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a new NCIS series, "NCIS Hawaii". I watched the pilot episode tonight. It was okay, new series, new characters. I thought the writing was a bit weak but I would watch it again.

It reminded me of the Hawaii Five-O series that ended a couple years ago. It was geared to a younger audience but I still found it entertaining. I think this new series is an attempt to pick up where that one left off.

I will have to check this new show out. I liked the original NCIS, and the L.A. spin-off too. Never liked the New Orleans one. I have my doubts about a Hawaii one, but I'll give it a chance. I had my doubts about the L.A. one in the beginning too, when it just came on the air, but it turned out to be good IMHO. I liked Hawaii 5-0. Both the original and the remake. Best theme song of any show, ever. We loved playing it in band at football games back when I was in high school. Fun as heck to play trumpet on that one! The percussion section had a blast with it too.

@Haertig There was a new episode of NCIS tonight at 8pmcst, and the NCIS Hawaii at 9pm.

They put these shows up against Monday night football so I think CBS is serious about backing the show. GreenBay slaughtered Detriot on tonight's game so cbs won this one.

Just watched Key Largo. I always have to do a little research when I watch anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Bogart

I saw it a couple weeks ago, pretty good film. Lauren Bacall is in it, one of her first major roles.

Tonight I'm watching "The Full Monty". It's funny as heck! I saw it many years ago. It's a British film released in 1997. It's about a group of out of work steel workers who each badly needs money.

Anyway, one read an article about "The Chippendales" and convinces his buddies that becoming strippers is the answer.

I'm partial to british humor, used to work with a bunch of brits, scots and a couple of brothers from Ireland. At times there were tensions but the wit was always on display. I was always laughing at the office, made it worth going in occasionally.

I saw it a couple weeks ago, pretty good film. Lauren Bacall is in it, one of her first major roles.

Tonight I'm watching "The Full Monty". It's funny as heck! I saw it many years ago. It's a British film released in 1997. It's about a group of out of work steel workers who each badly needs money.

Anyway, one read an article about "The Chippendales" and convinces his buddies that becoming strippers is the answer.

I'm partial to british humor, used to work with a bunch of brits, scots and a couple of brothers from Ireland. At times there were tensions but the wit was always on display.
I saw "The Full Monty" a number of years ago. It was a fun movie.

I need a new series on Netflix to get started on. I enjoy having the shows on my tablet while doing housework.

Would love recommendations. Doesn’t have to be a new series or a made-on-Netflix series - just new to me and available Netflix.

Cold Mountain

I'm not finished watching it, but it had me hooked early on. Sometimes I have to force myself to get through a movie. Not this one! It has some of my favorite actors: Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_Mountain_(film)
Cold Mountain is a 2003 epic period war film written and directed by Anthony Minghella. The film is based on the bestselling 1997 novel of the same name by Charles Frazier. It stars Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, and Renée Zellweger with Eileen Atkins, Brendan Gleeson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Natalie Portman, Jack White, Giovanni Ribisi, Donald Sutherland, and Ray Winstone in supporting roles. The film tells the story of a wounded deserter from the Confederate army close to the end of the American Civil War, who journeys home to reunite with the woman he loves. The film was a co-production of companies in Italy, Romania, and the United States.

Cold Mountain was released theatrically on December 25, 2003 by Miramax Films. It became a critical and commercial success grossing over $173 million and receiving seven nominations at the 76th Academy Awards, with Zellweger winning Best Supporting Actress.

I have watched the first day of the two day gun rights policy conference by the SAF.
it's been a good show so far but more tomorrow.

I didn't know there was a Trump rally today. Was it any good?

I have watched the first day of the two day gun rights policy conference by the SAF.
it's been a good show so far but more tomorrow.

I didn't know there was a Trump rally today. Was it any good?
He should be starting any time now ( 19:08 eastern)

Ben

I just saw a movie named “Dunkirk”, filmed in 2017. There were no big name actors but a few familiar faces whose names I couldn’t remember. The movie used some very young actors also. Couldn't help but think of how young guys were when I was in the military, many were just kids.

Anyway, Dunkirk was a very different film. There were 3 stories/plot lines of men at the beach that day being told concurrently. These stories brushed each other from time to time. At first it was annoying the way the movie would switch story to story, without warning or a way to connect the 3 plot lines. It was done in a very stark and harsh way.

It begins with one kid, all of 18, and it ends with him. Through much of the movie I couldn’t help but feel bad for this kid. He’s alone, no unit or buddies just trying to get off Dunkirk (along with 400K other soldiers) after the collapse of the French then English armies.

This poor kid takes 2 steps forward then 5 steps back at every turn. Everything he does seems to make his situation worse.

Plot 2 - there is the plot of a older civilian Brit who owns a boat and takes part in the Operation Dynamo, the evacuation of Dunkirk. He and his 2 boy crew.

Then there is the Brit Hurricane pilot who has 40 minutes of air time over Dunkirk. He has a couple of air battles with 109’s who randomly show up to drop a couple bombs on the beach or strafe helpless men.

I liked it, would watch it again but it was really different and a little annoying early on.

Apologies, Peanut, but I have to say I really disliked the movie "Dunkirk." I disliked it so much, I was motivated to provide my own review of it today, years after seeing it:

Summary from a Detroit News Review: The movies director, Christopher "Nolan set out to accomplish something different with 'Dunkirk,' a movie that crosscuts three story lines (on land, sea and sky) from three different chronologies (one week, one day, one hour) during the famous evacuation."

So, absolutely, it is innovative story telling.

I just didn't like the main story Nolan chose to tell, and the sinking feeling I got when I wondered why he chose to tell that particular story instead of the many great stories he could have told.

The "land story" is not about an evacuation of brave men, and the heroic sacrifices that had to be made on the ground to protect the evacuation effort. We instead follow a literal coward fleeing the battle. You never see an English soldier fire a weapon at the Germans. Never. Actually, the "Germans" aren't even mentioned; if you didn't know the history, you wouldn't know who was shooting at the English. Isn't that kind of weird? Only the French shot at "the enemy" (whom you never see) in the first minute of the movie, covering the protagonist British soldier who has thrown down his rifle to flee, leaving behind his fallen comrades, never looking back when they fall. The French look at him with pure derision, wishing him a sarcastic "bon voyage" as they hold off "the enemy" while he flees with his back turned at a full run. So, the ground story was all about lionizing a cowardly British soldier fleeing from an unnamed and invisible enemy. Why focus on the coward leaving his comrades behind? Why make the Germans nameless and invisible? Why ignore all the many acts of bravery on the ground at the real Dunkirk?

And then, at the end, the returning soldiers are hailed as heroes, even though the movie didn't show them acting heroically even once. I was left wondering if the movie was trying to make a point about war heroism being a false value, or fake news.

Now, in the "air story," the British airmen were shown to act heroically as individuals. And yet, they were derided by the ground troops for not doing enough.

In the "sea story," the civilians at sea were unambiguously shown to be heroic, but the naval sailors were coweardly. Again, why the odd selection of characters for the story? Why make the military cowards and the civilians heroic?

Again, I was left thinking that the movie had some kind of important message for me that I probably would not like if I were able to understand it clearly enough.

Christopher Nolan could have told a good story about an amazing event in history. I just don't think he did. I'm sure that some very good academic papers could be written about this movie, but I cannot recommend it. If you are looking for a good war movie, don't watch this movie, unless you will be satisfied with a few good moments, which Dunkirk undoubtedly has.

If you are looking for a good movie about that event (or at least about Churchill at that time), it would be better to watch "Darkest Hour." (Just be warned, there is one ridiculous scene in the Tube, when Churchill finds his strength...when you see it, you will remember this. It is totally a bogus scene added by Hollywood, but if you ignore that scene, it is a pretty good movie.)

Last edited:
I saw a new pilot episode tonight. It’s named “La Brea” on nb c. It starts as a busy morning, woman taking kids to school (older kids).

A giant sink hole starts collapsing by the Tar Pits. The woman and her son (17/18) fall in along other people, vehicles, buildings.

The woman wakes up uninjured in woods/meadows, finds her son, other people, crashed vehicles. They get attacked by weird looking wolves. Nobody notices the red hand/paw print drawn on a rock…. But there is a least one primitive man in animal skins watching them.

Back above in LA… Ancient extinct condor looking birds fly out of the sink hole. Clueless Feds show up…

Also, the ex-husband of the woman in the pit finds the daughter that didn’t fall in. Exhubby previously had plane crash that gives him strange visions. That day he keeps seeing the rock with the red hand/paw print and other scenes of the people who didn’t die falling through the hole.

It was done cheaply like most pilots, might be an interesting show, to soon to tell.

I can say I’m glad I saw the La Brea tar pits years ago before the LA Volcano and the interdemensional sink hole formed. :rolleyes:

Me Before You

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_Before_You_(film)
Plot
Louisa "Lou" Clark is hired as carer for Will Traynor, a once successful banker and active sportsman now tetraplegic after being hit by a motorcycle. Will's mother hopes Lou's bubbly personality will lift Will's depressed and cynical spirits. Will is initially cold towards Lou. Will's ex-girlfriend Alicia visits and reveals that she is to marry Will's former best friend Rupert. Lou perseveres with Will and, as the two grow close, she learns he is cultured and worldly, in contrast to her simple life spent with her parents or boyfriend Patrick.

Overhearing an argument between Will's parents, Lou learns that Will has conceded six months to them before he will go to Dignitas in Switzerland for assisted suicide, unable as he is to accept a disabled life. Lou takes it upon herself to change his mind by organising trips and adventures to show him that life is still worth living. Patrick's jealousy grows until he and Lou split up.

Will asks Lou to accompany him to Alicia's wedding. They start to fall in love. During a luxurious trip to Mauritius, Will tells Lou he still intends to take assisted suicide, saying he wants her to live a full life instead of half a life with him. Heartbroken, Lou quits as Will's caregiver and refuses contact with him.

Lou's father convinces her to visit Will, but she finds he has already left for Switzerland. She follows him there to be with him in his final moments.

Some weeks after Will's death, sitting in his favourite café in Paris, Lou reads a letter he left for her. In it, he says he has left her enough money to follow her dreams and encourages her to live abundantly.

@Weedygarden The plot is similar to another movie I saw recently. I liked it. Thought I'd be checking other channels soon but it surprised me.

The Upside (2017) -

The Upside: Directed by Neil Burger. With Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston, Nicole Kidman, Aja Naomi King. A comedic look at the relationship between a wealthy man with quadriplegia and an unemployed man with a criminal record who's hired to help him.

@Weedygarden The plot is similar to another movie I saw recently. I liked it. Thought I'd be checking other channels soon but it surprised me.

The Upside (2017) -

The Upside: Directed by Neil Burger. With Kevin Hart, Bryan Cranston, Nicole Kidman, Aja Naomi King. A comedic look at the relationship between a wealthy man with quadriplegia and an unemployed man with a criminal record who's hired to help him.
I saw that! That was good, but I think the ending was different. I actually don't remember the ending. I may have to watch that again.

I really liked this movie, "Me Before You."

I saw a new pilot episode tonight. It’s named “La Brea” on nb c. It starts as a busy morning, woman taking kids to school (older kids).

A giant sink hole starts collapsing by the Tar Pits. The woman and her son (17/18) fall in along other people, vehicles, buildings.

The woman wakes up uninjured in woods/meadows, finds her son, other people, crashed vehicles. They get attacked by weird looking wolves. Nobody notices the red hand/paw print drawn on a rock…. But there is a least one primitive man in animal skins watching them.

Back above in LA… Ancient extinct condor looking birds fly out of the sink hole. Clueless Feds show up…

Also, the ex-husband of the woman in the pit finds the daughter that didn’t fall in. Exhubby previously had plane crash that gives him strange visions. That day he keeps seeing the rock with the red hand/paw print and other scenes of the people who didn’t die falling through the hole.

It was done cheaply like most pilots, might be an interesting show, to soon to tell.

I can say I’m glad I saw the La Brea tar pits years ago before the LA Volcano and the interdemensional sink hole formed. :rolleyes:
Did you see this on HULU? I see that it is playing there.

After I showed The Princess the Venn diagram posted in the jokes thread

1632768685502.png

We decided to round out our dystopian movies by watching Idiocracy and reserved others from the library. Idiocracy was good and not as depressing as most dystopian movies.

Ben

Latest posts

Back