What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The Rape of Nanking" an hour long documentary. It has been I the "My Stuff" folder for a few weeks waiting for me to be ready to watch it. I knew what it was going to be like. It is very unpleasant so be forewarned.

Blast from the Past cracked me up. Very cute. Husband ordered an got in The Good Doctor dvds because his mom likes it. We've watched two of them, it's a series. Unusual, but reminding me of Dougie Howser.
Still watching 100. They've got the AI thing going again. Hope it's not on the last season, getting a bit tired of it. Think we have 1 and a half seasons to finish.

I watched another old movie today - The Adventures of Mark Twain (1944). I get the TCM channel. Occasionally they play old movies worth seeing again. They've played several in the last week or so, must be the holidays.

Nothing on this evening but football, maybe catch a movie later.

Just watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix.

Very interesting. I actually recommend it. I think everyone can get something out of it.

I heard that it is an allegory for global warming, and the president is based on Trump. And, I think a liberal global warmist could watch it, and see only that...but they will have missed a lot.

I think the movie is more than that. I think it is a critique of our entire system of government, social media, insane society. I think it is a modern day Ideocracy.

I can't figure out if they didn't know they were critiquing the entire system we have (including themselves)...or if they accidentally did it, while intending to only critique the Right...but, I don't think it matters. It might be an even more effective critique if it was unknowing. As I say, in the end, it effectively criticizes everything, like Ideocracy.

It's on the FX channel right now, 2nd time today. Blindside

I found a show called "The Repair Shop". A group of british artisans restoring clocks, cameras, violins... you name it. People bring in their family heirlooms, do-dads and do-hicky's. These people do absolutely incredible restoration work...

This is filmed in england so people are bringing in things 100 or 150 yrs old. Some not to old, like a music box that was damaged in 1939 during the german bombing London (ww2). Really interesting objects I've never seen before.

Last edited:
Started watching Downton Abbey last week but my gosh that has to be the most depressing soap opera I have ever watched! It was probably fairly realistic about what life was like 100 years ago. It sucked back then, even the lives of the rich aristocrats sucked. I got to the end of season 2, skipping over a bunch of stuff and gave up. If I could give it 2 thumbs down on Netflix I would....gosh, I am annoyed having wasted time to watch so much of this! I kept thinking maybe something GOOD will happen, someone will have some sort of happy ending but no....

Definitely going back to watching something Asian after this

Just watched "Don't Look Up" on Netflix.

Very interesting. I actually recommend it. I think everyone can get something out of it.

I heard that it is an allegory for global warming, and the president is based on Trump. And, I think a liberal global warmist could watch it, and see only that...but they will have missed a lot.

I think the movie is more than that. I think it is a critique of our entire system of government, social media, insane society. I think it is a modern day Ideocracy.

I can't figure out if they didn't know they were critiquing the entire system we have (including themselves)...or if they accidentally did it, while intending to only critique the Right...but, I don't think it matters. It might be an even more effective critique if it was unknowing. As I say, in the end, it effectively criticizes everything, like Ideocracy.

I agree, Sonya! Actually, I saw the current administration in the political leaders. Perspective, I guess!

Did that a few nights ago with the kids...fire in the yard on a cold night...we just sat around, looking at the fire, talking. Good family night.
I miss those times. Back when I was logging, using horses, i always had a fire going it the woods burning the slash. Many times the wife would come down with a Dutch oven and cook a chicken or roast with baked potatoes in the coals. I'd tie the horses off to a tree and we'd sit next to the fire enjoying the warmth. The horses seemed to like the break too.

@Weedygarden From the first karate kid movie came the phase "wax on, wax off". I still see references to that phrase in movie and tv shows today. In fact, in the last week I saw a reference to it in a regular tv show.

Today there has been nothing on worth watching on tv. So, I started watching BattleBots. (For those who may not have seen it...It's about small robots, under 300lbs, designed and built by amateurs to destroy each other. They are controlled via radio signals, put in an arena, and have smashing hammers, flipping tools, jets of flame etc.)

Personally I'd like to see them being built and tested also... more camera time in the pit area.

I have a couple of dvds that I haven't seen, think I'll put one in...
I was telling someone about watching The Karate Kid and then Cobra Kai. He proceeded to tell me about "Wax on, wax off," and how he had just watched another movie that used that line.

"The Wedding Singer" and it was a movie that we watched many times when daughter still lived at home, but of course, I had probably not seen it in 20 years.

Started watching Downton Abbey last week but my gosh that has to be the most depressing soap opera I have ever watched! It was probably fairly realistic about what life was like 100 years ago. It sucked back then, even the lives of the rich aristocrats sucked. I got to the end of season 2, skipping over a bunch of stuff and gave up. If I could give it 2 thumbs down on Netflix I would....gosh, I am annoyed having wasted time to watch so much of this! I kept thinking maybe something GOOD will happen, someone will have some sort of happy ending but no....

Definitely going back to watching something Asian after this
British Period Drama
I liked it. I watched it on DVD when it first came out, and I've watched it every couple years since. I've watch it on DVD from the library or online. I know that many people do not like these kinds of shows, but I do. Life did suck for everyone back then, but it seems that people's lives were more strictly defined by societal expectations of behavior.

British Period Drama
I liked it. I watched it on DVD when it first came out, and I've watched it every couple years since. I've watch it on DVD from the library or online. I know that many people do not like these kinds of shows, but I do. Life did suck for everyone back then, but it seems that people's lives were more strictly defined by societal expectations of behavior.

For entertainment, I HATE anything even remotely realistic lol! At the moment I am re-watching all the Harry Potter movies. We have them all on DVD. When our kids were growing up, we read all the books, and most of the time we were on some trip when the next movie came out so we went and watched them all together. Daughter had a job as a teenager for a while at the Three Broomsticks ( at a theme park in Orlando)

Downton Abbey: I dislike every single character in that show, except Maggie Smith ( Mcgonnegal :)

For entertainment, I HATE anything even remotely realistic lol! At the moment I am re-watching all the Harry Potter movies. We have them all on DVD. When our kids were growing up, we read all the books, and most of the time we were on some trip when the next movie came out so we went and watched them all together. Daughter had a job as a teenager for a while at the Three Broomsticks ( at a theme park in Orlando)

Downton Abbey: I dislike every single character in that show, except Maggie Smith ( Mcgonnegal :)
We are completely opposite in our tastes. I don't like fantasy. I am all about realistic and down to earth. Besides Downton Abbey, there are several other period dramas and series that I have really liked: Poldark (42 episodes), Pride and Prejudice, Bridgerton, Sense and Sensibility, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables and more.

Not much on the last week... yesterday I started watching a home repair show, old episodes, all day. Mike Holmes, canadian guy. It's amazing how badly some homes are built.

This evening I notice they were replaying the first season of "Resident Alien". This show is hysterically funny!!! How the actors do the scenes and keep a straight face? I couldn't do it. I've seen a couple of their bloopers, soooo funny!!!

Anyway I caught the start of episode 2, on episode 7 now. I missed a few episodes last year.

The new season starts 26th. If I'm home I'll watch!

Last edited:
Back