What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else watching the 3-part mini-series about US Grant on the history channel? They started playing it Sunday night. I’m a bit of a civil-war buff, been to lots of battlefields and read lots of books (only books by people who lived through it, not histories).

As far as events… factually correct. But US Grant being compared to Sun Tzu? It is laughable and disturbingly sinister.

The first 2 episodes (4hrs) are filled with deep state social engineering catch phrases! Like… “We are a nation of immigrants” at least 5 times… The south, by innuendo being against immigration. They were slave owning monsters to fought against the morally superior “State”, the morally superior “State”, the morally superior “State” is stressed over and over.

This show is twisted… All the millennials out there trapped in their apartments are getting a pep talk… how noble it is to defend the “State” over anyone who disagrees!

Oh… and US Grant was not a great military commander by the any stretch of the imagination. He was an average general with a 3 to 1 superiority in men, equipment, medicine, food… supplies of every sort and technological advantage in weaponry at every level. Even with all these advantages he knew he had to stand in a river of blood to win… He was willing to do so.

Your report is pretty much what I was expecting the show to be regarding Grant. I didn't bother.
IMO Grant and Sherman should have been hung as war criminals for the tactics they used against unarmed and starving citizens.

Fiddle sticks! I had heard it was good. Glad I didn't waste my time. Thanks for the heads up.
Anyone else watching the 3-part mini-series about US Grant on the history channel? They started playing it Sunday night. I’m a bit of a civil-war buff, been to lots of battlefields and read lots of books (only books by people who lived through it, not histories).

As far as events… factually correct. But US Grant being compared to Sun Tzu? It is laughable and disturbingly sinister.

The first 2 episodes (4hrs) are filled with deep state social engineering catch phrases! Like… “We are a nation of immigrants” at least 5 times… The south, by innuendo being against immigration. They were slave owning monsters to fought against the morally superior “State”, the morally superior “State”, the morally superior “State” is stressed over and over.

This show is twisted… All the millennials out there trapped in their apartments are getting a pep talk… how noble it is to defend the “State” over anyone who disagrees!

Oh… and US Grant was not a great military commander by the any stretch of the imagination. He was an average general with a 3 to 1 superiority in men, equipment, medicine, food… supplies of every sort and technological advantage in weaponry at every level. Even with all these advantages he knew he had to stand in a river of blood to win… He was willing to do so.

Your report is pretty much what I was expecting
Fiddle sticks! I had heard it was good.

If viewed from the lens of... HRC had won the election, she was in the final stages of dismantling our nation but needed to be re-elected to finish the job... The mini-series is a fine piece of propaganda... It makes perfect sense! All the deep state catch phrases are exactly what would be needed.

That's what is so sinister about it. It was designed as a rah-rah piece to keep the sheeple in line.

Grant is one Inever studied so don't know enough about him to comment.

I watched the last installment of the US Grant mini-series tonight. It was what I expected after the first two. They zippy-di-do-da'd right past the battle of Cold Harbor. Sort of a "Yeah, Grant messed up, whoops!" move along... nothing to see here.

Then it was on to Petersburg, They blamed the horrible mistake in that battle on a drunken commander. Grant was above all those decisions... Even worse... the high death count of black troops in the "Hole" was blamed on southern "racists", not the northern racists that sent them in to die as an after thought. The big ignored truth... Grant was drinking again at Petersburg just like he did a Vicksbrug, another battle he had all but lost until some young line officers pulled his chestnuts from the fire.

More distortion, more distortion... Grant (not Lincoln) saved the union! More distortion, more distortion... I laughed out loud when they said Grant saved the union.

Poof! Grant is now president! Grants "progressive agenda" of benevolent reconstruction policies after the war was derailed by the Klan not Grants totally corrupt administration. They actually used the term "progressive agenda". I was speechless at this point.

Funny, Grant's administration was so corrupt his own personal secretary was part of a scheme that made several million dollars involving whisky (no, Grant didn't drink all of it by himself).

Yes, this whole mini-series was a deep state propaganda piece aimed at young people who were never taught the truth in school to begin with!

To be fair I have to say... Yes, there was a civil war here in our country. Yes, it happened 1861-1865. Yes, a corrupt drunk named Grant became the general of the union army. The mini-series only got 2 of those facts right.

Last edited:
@Weedygarden I got it from wally world (wal mart). Paid less than $30 I think, I forget which model it is, might have a distance of 30 miles for picking up signal, or it might be 50. I can get GRIT, and I think there were 3 channels of public TV. One of them has a lot of cooking programs, one was for children.
The antenna had to be mounted to the wall as high as I could go away from the TV. The signal was good enough there, but right in the TV cabinet (about 5 feet up), not much signal at all.
I believe there are 3 Vietnamese channels, I didn't know that. I guess there is a big population of Vietnamese in the metro area.

I watched the last installment of the US Grant mini-series tonight. It was what I expected after the first two. They zippy-di-do-da'd right past the battle of Cold Harbor. Sort of a "Yeah, Grant messed up, whoops!" move along... nothing to see here.

Then it was on to Petersburg, They blamed the horrible mistake in that battle on a drunken commander. Grant was above all those decisions... Even worse... the high death count of black troops in the "Hole" was blamed on southern "racists", not the northern racists that sent them in to die as an after thought. The big ignored truth... Grant was drinking again at Petersburg just like he did a Vicksbrug, another battle he had all but lost until some young line officers pulled his chestnuts from the fire.

More distortion, more distortion... Grant (not Lincoln) saved the union! More distortion, more distortion... I laughed out loud when they said Grant saved the union.

Poof! Grant is now president! Grants "progressive agenda" of benevolent reconstruction policies after the war was derailed by the Klan not Grants totally corrupt administration. They actually used the term "progressive agenda". I was speechless at this point.

Funny, Grant's administration was so corrupt his own personal secretary was part of a scheme that made several million dollars involving whisky (no, Grant didn't drink all of it by himself).

Yes, this whole mini-series was a deep state propaganda piece aimed at young people who were never taught the truth in school to begin with!

To be fair I have to say... Yes, there was a civil war here in our country. Yes, it happened 1861-1865. Yes, a corrupt drunk named Grant became the general of the union army. The mini-series only got 2 of those facts right.
Stay tuned for part 4, that's where they figure out they made a mistake in not wiping out all them rebels before they could kill all the Indians and rape the land. Thanks Peanut!

I'm just watching a little youtube, Watching and reading history .

Om My Gosh!! Syncronicity you bring this up when this week I had a big not heated but Hot 'debate' with a gang of old libs taught by these professors in our indoctrination centers now called campus's.
They sure as heck wasn't taught history,only hate for certain people and America.
Not going back.
I live and let live long as it is not pushed on me if it is I puch back never been PC or go along to get along, I'm not that smart. Wise peopel realize we lost and keep their opinions ot themselves, not me. And I consider myself an intellegent person .

@Maverickhawk the mini-series was on this level...
aoc ( 1).png

@Patchouli your antenna problem solved...

Cortez05 ( 5).jpg

Tonight I caugt a nascar race on tv... about to play a ww2 dvd, a john wayne movie I think. No great patriotic films this past weekend, I'll watch them this week.

Last edited:
Just watching paint dry... and weeds growing...
Tomorrow I take my wife in for a follow up = we have to wear masks - I'm making mine out of old underwear. I'm gonna decorate it with some brown shoe wax.

Right now I'm watching the history channel online. Ancient Aliens is on. I like to watch it for the information they give you on other cultures and not so much for the alien stuff. Very interesting

Has anybody seen anything on the news that hasn't been Covid 19; Minneapolis riots; or General Flynn. Seems like we only have one channel, and that is all they show.

Has anybody seen anything on the news that hasn't been Covid 19; Minneapolis riots; or General Flynn. Seems like we only have one channel, and that is all they show.

Just one of the reasons we got rid of our satellite tv

Still watching the Wynns, their first 30 days at sea! I've seen it but it still amazes me.
But soon be back to the music in a few with a tody for the body.

Just one of the reasons we got rid of our satellite tv

That makes two of us. I have not seen any "news" on television in years. I do look up the news online, from reliable sources, and disregard anything I don't care to read.

I got news today... I had to scrub the facia on the garage and shop so I can slop some primer on it. That will kill the mildew and moss and the paint will stick to it better. Big news for tomorrow... I get to climb up both ladders and reach out and up to prime the garage and shop trim around the roof line. It is good mental exercise because I have this unreasonable fear of falling. I get to keep telling myself that I wouldn't hurt myself, the adult speaking to the little kid in me. As long as nothing happens it is good training. I hate things that get in my way and push myself to get over them. It doesn't make it easy but it feels good to accomplish. Standing there on the 24 foot ladder with a brush in one hand and a bucket of paint in the other with my arms outstreched, my head up, Singing "I'm KING of the world!" (while that little kid in me screams, "hold on you idiot, we're going to fall". I try not to listen but he is really loud.

OK, I feel better now, thanks guys and gals. I love you all!

NO. I got to a point with COVID, that I just quit watching. I think it was about the same time that the rest of America did, because the politicians quit broadcasting everyday.

I haven't had pay television for more than a decade. I would have to be quite wealthy to consider having it again. (Priorities!) I do want to get an antenna. Recently, Fox changed and we had to rescan our televisions and since then I haven't been able to get clear broadcasting from them. I am able to get their sister station, but it is different.

NO. I got to a point with COVID, that I just quit watching. I think it was about the same time that the rest of America did, because the politicians quit broadcasting everyday.

I haven't had pay television for more than a decade. I would have to be quite wealthy to consider having it again. (Priorities!) I do want to get an antenna. Recently, Fox changed and we had to rescan our televisions and since then I haven't been able to get clear broadcasting from them. I am able to get their sister station, but it is different.

We unplugged in 1996 basically, and it has just got worse every years 99.99% of what hollyhood throws up is not entertaining to us at all. Same for music industry.

I've found on youtube a British series called UFO. Very kitchy and very 70's. I like it lol

I have season one of TV series called War of the Worlds in my cue to be watched. It was made by Fox and aired on a channel called EPIC. And yes, it is based on that War of the Worlds. Looks fairly action packed.

Tonight I'm watching Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments". I bought it on dvd (2 dvd's). I noticed this spring when it came on it was just over 2 hours long. I remember as a kid it was 4 hours long... Seems every year it got shorter and shorter, cutting more out of it and filled with even more commercials.

The movie is actually 3hours and 39 minutes long. I bought the original version shown in theaters that has been fully restored. The detail and color is incredible on this dvd. I have a bluray player that enhances it even more...

Well worth the $9 I paid for it.

I'm watching more YouTube channels. Not so much watching as listening while I do other things. Just so sick of everything going on in the world, a little "Appalachia's Homestead with Patera" is my escapism. DH is hooked on "Outdoors with the Morgans."

Latest posts

Back