What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been building up my movie collection just a bit. These came in this week. Eastwood – Josey Wells, Pale Rider & Unforgiven in a 3-disc set. I never cared for the Dirty Harry series or the spaghetti westerns. There are a couple more of his films I liked but those are for another time.

Also, Brave Heart, Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan another 3-disc set. Dances with Wolves, O Brother Where art Thou?,,,

The 10 Commandments, How the West was Won and Lonesome Dove, these 3 are usually cut to pieces when aired on tv. Recently I got “13 hours-the secret soldiers of Benghazi”. the “Midway” remake, the new film “1917” and the 4 film “Die Hard” set.

Almost all of the above are extended versions and fully restored where necessary. Most are Blueray, and all were less than $10, even the multi-movie sets.

The only exception… “The Civil War” by Ken Burns. I don’t know if any of you saw the original on PBS but this film is simply amazing. Before the war we were the “united STATES of america, after the war we were the UNITED states of america. A play on words yes but through this film you can see the profound change that took place in our nation. To understand how we truly became a nation, we have to look back to this one event.

I bought the movie from PBS on vhs way back when but I haven’t owned a vhs player in years. I’ve wanted this 6 - blueray disc set for several years. It is the fully restored version of the original film, a little pricy at $98 but worth it in my book.

Oh... a new kitchen scale came today also! ;) Forgot... Young Frankenstein came today after I first posted this... mel brooks film, Robin Hood men in tights is on the way, be here next week.

Movies (2) sm.JPG

Last edited:
A new TV series called Snowpiecer, based off the movie (and I am sure book) of the same name. The story is about the haves and the have-nots all on board the same train, which is the only vessel running in a forced ice age world. So far it's interesting.

I have basically quit watching moving pictures (movies, tv shows) unless it's educational or historical. Or maybe hysterical. I don't know why, must be a mood. Do I have ADD? Am I just bored with it? If I've seen it, I likely will not watch it too many more times. I don't like watching new stuff then realizing, I'm wasting my time.
Last movie I watched was The Help, @Weedygarden I thought it was a good movie and from what I remember, likely very accurate. My girls were surprised. What did you think of it?
The sarcastic sass was priceless.

Been watching this couple for last several years, when they left rat race sold their home and belongings bought RV motorhome,then sail boat now in pandemic isolation in Fiji for past 4 months.Trying to get to their boat in Tonga.We rrally enjoyed their adventures learning to sail then travel around the world. Hard to find a good movie so mostly watch good people on youtube.
This is not one of their normal adventure veideos,they are isolated.The cat help amuse them ,take mind off depressing situation.

Here they are diving with whale,so cat saving is not their usual thing.

Last edited:
My Mom called me the other day and said she found a box full of VHS tapes that belong to my deceased uncle, asking if I wanted them. I asked what they were and she said there were several seasons of the Jackie Gleason show, Andy Griffith, The Wild Wild West, The Rifleman, and Combat!. So now I am going to need a VCR.

Tonight I’m finally watching “Bill Moyers… Amazing Grace”. It came out on VHS about 1990. I saw it then on PBS and bought a copy.

It’s been years since I owned a vhs player. The tape only lasted about 12 or so years before it stretched anyway.

The tape came to my mind a few weeks ago, wished I could hear it again. I found a used copy on dvd at amazon. I paid way too much but I really wanted a copy. There are a few parts I’d forgotten about.

Its available on several of the online streaming services. I highly recommend it to all my forum friends… It starts with the history of the song… written by an Englishman who had, in his youth, been the captain of a slave ship, before he found grace, John Newton.

The dvd takes one through the many variations of the way the song is sung in different cultural communities here in the US… From the wire grass singers of south Alabama to shaped note singers of GA, folks in Viper Kentucky to the stages in NY… from Johnny Cash to the Harlem boys choir… from Huntsville prison in TX to Marion Williams… Everybody should hear Marion Williams sing this song once in their life... She sings 2 versions on this dvd. Below is one of those versions. This presentation is probably the greatest work Bill Moyers did…

I think this song is the most important message to mankind in the last 200 years.

Last edited:
Just finished up Kelly's Heroes

Up next Baa Baa Blacksheep the series. Just got it delivered today.

haven't seen it in decades

If anything.

Another thread here got me to thinking and start this thread.

I'm about done with regular TV .

I try to catch ,

Andy Griffith
Gunsmoke
The Lone Ranger
Old John Wayne , Randolph Scot, Clint Eastwood, movies.

I do watch America's Got Talent , once in a while.

Getting weaned off Fox News.

I'm just curious what y'all watch. If any.

Jim

Wife records Andy, Mash, a couple of cooking shows we like on the weekends. I record Mountain Man and Alone. Also have the full season of Fat guys in the woods. I really like Creek Stewart, eagle scout and walks the walk.
I'll also record some old westerns or war movies when I catch them. Wife loves watching old movies, topic don't much matter.
We also try and record different concerts when we find some we like. Rarely watch anything live.
BTW I HATE COMMERCIALS. Only one I like is Mayhem.

I only will have mindless crap on like the cooking channel or Discovery. And that's only to fall asleep to...not as entertainment. I haven't really watched TV in years.

I watch very little TV. When I do it is on my DVR, never live so I can skip past the commercials and the boring stuff. I do watch Bluebloods. I have never been a big movie fan. The so-called reality shows are all staged and bore me to death. I gave up on watching the news shows so I get my news from multiple sources online.
Mostly I watch Youtube.
I have seen every MASH episode so many time I can recite the dialog.

I watch very little TV. When I do it is on my DVR, never live so I can skip past the commercials and the boring stuff. I do watch Bluebloods. I have never been a big movie fan. The so-called reality shows are all staged and bore me to death. I gave up on watching the news shows so I get my news from multiple sources online.
Mostly I watch Youtube.
I have seen every MASH episode so many time I can recite the dialog.

We really enjoyed Blue Bloods ,Person Of Interest then for a long time Highway Through Hell which is a real life series about a man owning a wrecker service on the Cog and life with his workers life in general.

My Mom called me the other day and said she found a box full of VHS tapes that belong to my deceased uncle, asking if I wanted them. I asked what they were and she said there were several seasons of the Jackie Gleason show, Andy Griffith, The Wild Wild West, The Rifleman, and Combat!. So now I am going to need a VCR.

Daughters were visiting and we put in Beverly Hillbillies re-runs. They thought it was so funny. I had bought a series of about 50 shows.Surprised us they liked them so much.

@phideaux you and the wife might like Man In The Chair. Its not pushing any agendas or vile and nasty like most movies today,lots of good old actors too.
One of my top 10 movies was ' The Rare Breed ' Jimmy Stewart Marine O'hahra.We rented it on YouYube,but I'm sure its available elsewhee too.

@phideaux you and the wife might like Man In The Chair. Its not pushing any agendas or vile and nasty like most movies today,lots of good old actors too.
One of my top 10 movies was ' The Rare Breed ' Jimmy Stewart Marine O'hahra.We rented it on YouYube,but I'm sure its available elsewhee too.

I've seen both of those.They are good.

I like anything Jimmy Stewart is in.

Jim

Back