What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched an Amazon Prime movie called "Dragon Day", it was a very poor movie, but the story caught my attention. Spoiler Alert:

The story goes the world is in a great depression, the Chinese want payment for the U.S. Debt they are holding and the president refuses... Then the Chinese shuts down the US grid, telecommunications, banking, and transportation because all the computer chips made in China can be controlled by the Chinese. China literally repossesses the U.S.A using ruthless tactics and turn-coat Americans.....

Anyway, the more I thought about the story line of the movie the more I realized that most of the "connected devices" have chips made in China, and most Net, Blue Tooth, or Cellular enabled devices could be hacked and that many of those Chips come from China, so they could literally set us back 100 years if they did enable their chips to be capable of disabling our devices....

But, like I said it was a very poor movie, bad acting and poor script.... but interesting concept....

Darn!!!!!!!!! I just happened to catch the last 10 minutes of the movie "Tender Mercies". I didn't know it was on! I have 200 channels, mostly junk, but so many its hard to know when some good is on.

Tender Mercies, great movie. Its the only time Robert Duvall won an academy award for Best Actor. He was great in this film.

Funny, Duvall got the role because of the writer Horton Foote who wrote the screen play....

Horton Foote was also the screen writer for the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird". That was Duvall's first big film, he played Boo Radley. The character of the little girl "Scout" in the movie was afraid of Boo.

The movie Tender Mercies was filmed in 1983... a great film. I saw it a few times in the 90's, enjoyed it. But would have loved seeing it again tonight. It was on TCM, hopefully they'll replay it again this week.

It's a strong film about love, family and God. I recommend it.

(It was also filmed in north central texas... near the towns of Waxahachie and Palmer, in Ellis County.)

I just saw "No blade of grass" a 1970 movie about a planetary famine and the breakdown of society. from this and the remake of "Triffids" I have to conclude Britain is the least prepared country on the planet. good movie, very mad Max in its outlook, if someone said its a prequel, I'd believe it.

I have a confession to make.

I've been watching...the Netflix series, Lucifer.

I avoided watching this show for a long time...because, you know...Lucifer...prince of darkness and all that, and why would a Christian like me play games by watching something like that? I'm not bothered by demons...but neither do I seek temptation.

But, as it turns out, the show is not based on the Christian concept of Lucifer. As such, I think of the show as more fantasy than theology. I decided it is more akin to Lord of the Rings than it is to the Christian universe of my belief system. Accordingly, it became, ok, to watch.

Without giving too much away, the character Lucifer is based on Samael, a Talmudic archangel. His character is from a subset of theology that was of ancient Jewish origin, but which did not make it into mainstream Christian Tradition. I think a Christian can safely watch this show without...playing with the actual Devil.

Premise:
  • Lucifer tires of Hell, so he moves to...where else?...Los Angeles.
  • The show is a typical murder mystery TV series, in which each episode is a self-encapsulated murder mystery (basic TV) in which Lucifer helps an LA police detective solve murder mysteries (because, of course, Lucifer thinks sinners should be punished) within a typical 1 hour episode.
  • But, in addition to your basic episodic murder mysteries, there is an overarching story line/arc of Lucifer's ongoing "family issues" with his father (God), his mother (remember, this is not Christian theology) and his brother angels, and his inability to find happiness or love in his hedonistic lifestyle...and he becomes an almost sympathetic character because of that.
I often lose interest in good TV shows after a few seasons (that is just me), but I am now in the middle of season 5, and the show was renewed for a Season 6 which has already been released, and I have to say, the show has kept my interest. Here is the trailer for Season 1 (in which they play up his Devil side a bit, to make the show seem "worse" than it is.) [Viewing note: The show is labeled with nudity, but maybe in 70 episodes you see Lucifer's backside twice. There are, however, many "adult situations," as Lucifer explores human sexual deviancies. They are not the focus of the show, but they are present...for example, someone shows up in his flat in the morning, and the aftermath of his nighttime activities are present/obvious and sometimes discussed. Not a show for kids.]

Last edited:
I've been watching...the Netflix series, Lucifer.

I remember that show from a couple years ago. I only caught a few episodes. Don't know if it was canceled after that season or what happened.

I sort of liked it... but you're right, it's not based on the christian concept of the devil.

More vintage Dr. Who. The series is chock full of little tricks to keep tucked away in the back of the mind.
We watch Dr Who when we need a short filler at the end of the evening. But we started at the beginning and are just few episodes past when they tossed Susan the granddaughter.

Ben

Lion
Such a good movie, imho. I've seen it before, but I saw a suggestion for it and found it is available on Amazon Prime. Based on a true story. 80,000 children go missing in India each year.

Plot
In 1986, Saroo, a five-year-old boy, lives with his elder brother Guddu, his mother and his younger baby sister in Khandwa, India. Guddu and Saroo steal coal from freight trains to trade for milk and food. One night Saroo pesters his brother who is going to work overnight to let him come too. Guddu refuses at first yet finally relents, and they arrive at a nearby train station where Saroo is too tired to stay awake. Guddu places Saroo on a bench and tells him to wait for his return. Saroo promptly falls asleep and when he wakes up Guddu is not there. Saroo searches the station for Guddu and gets on an empty train looking for him. There he falls asleep again in one of the compartments, only to awake sometime later to find the train in motion and the doors locked. After several days the train arrives in faraway Calcutta where 5-year-old Saroo does not understand the local Bengali language. He stands at a ticket counter and tries to obtain a ticket home, but the attendant does not recognise the name of his village, which Saroo says is "Ganestalay".[4] He spends the night in the station with some street children, but is then woken up and forced to run when a group of men try to kidnap them.

Saroo continues to wander around the city before coming across Noor, a seemingly friendly woman who takes him back to her apartment. She tells Saroo that a man named Rama will help him find his way home. Saroo runs away, sensing that Noor and Rama have sinister intentions, and escapes Noor when she chases after him. After two months of living near the Howrah Bridge, Saroo is taken to the police by a young man. Unable to trace his family, they put him in an orphanage. Three months later, Saroo is introduced to Mrs. Sood, who tells him she has placed an advertisement about him in several local newspapers, but no one has responded. She then tells him that an Australian couple is interested in adopting him. She begins to teach Saroo basic English and he moves to Hobart, Tasmania in 1987, under the care of Sue and John Brierley, where he slowly starts to settle into his new adopted lifestyle. One year later, they adopt another boy, Mantosh, who has trouble adjusting to his new home and suffers from rage and self-harm.

Twenty years later Saroo is now a young man who moves to Melbourne to study hotel management. He starts a relationship with Lucy, an American student. During a meal with some Indian friends at their home, he comes across jalebi, a delicacy he remembers from his childhood. Saroo reveals that he is not from Calcutta and that he has been lost for more than twenty years, and his friends suggest he use Google Earth to search for his hometown in India. Saroo commences his search, but over time disconnects from Lucy, overwhelmed by the thought of emotions his family must have gone through when he was missing.

Saroo visits his adoptive mom, Sue, whose health is deteriorating, and learns that she is not infertile, but had chosen to help others in need through adoption, believing that there were already too many people on Earth. After reconciling with Lucy, Saroo spends a long time searching fruitlessly for his hometown. One evening, while scanning Google Earth he notices the rock formations where his mother worked and then finds the area where he lived: the Ganesh Talai neighbourhood of the Khandwa district. He finally tells his adoptive mother about his search and she fully supports his efforts.

Saroo returns to his hometown and with the help of a local English speaker, has an emotional reunion with his biological mother and sister. He also learns the fate of his brother Guddu, who was hit and killed by an oncoming train the night of his separation. Saroo's mother never gave up hope nor moved away from the village as she believed that one day her missing son would return home. The film ends with captions about the real Saroo's return to India in February 2012. Photos of the real Australian family are shown, as well as footage of Saroo introducing Sue to his biological mother in India, who deeply appreciates Sue's care for her son. Saroo later learned that he had been mispronouncing his own name for all those years, which was actually Sheru, meaning "lion".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_(2016_film)

The sun come up over the lake.

Attachments

• Resized_20211025_080448.jpeg
    Resized_20211025_080448.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 27
10 Things I Hate About You, with Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger.

"The screenplay, written by Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith, is a modernization of William Shakespeare's late-16th-century comedy The Taming of the Shrew, retold in a late-1990s American high school setting. In the story."

As I usually do when I watch films, I searched for this movie. Heath Ledger died of a drug overdose in 2008. I remember that, but I had never really known who he was. What a waste of life and talent.

Finished squid games - the first few episodes were hard to sit through, but then after that it got good.

On season 4 of Vikings, quite possibly the best series ever!

Can't bring myself to watch Squid Games, but I hear it's popular.
I have been hearing raves about it, but I can't bring myself to watch it. One man said it was the best thing he had ever seen and he and his family were so drawn in. I just saw a story that there is some reality in the series. It is a game where if you join and you are the last person, you win a large amount of money. As people lose, they die. In South Korea, people are supposedly deeply in debt and suicide is common as a result.

Back