What's for breakfast?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, have not had breakfast in a decade or so. We do still have breakfast foods sometimes just not in the morning.

I love a good egg scramble with a little spicy pork sausage, green & red peppers, etc. Wife also makes a delicious crustless quiche with broccoli, ham and cheddar cheese. I would also suggest you do an internet search for "bacon cups". There are many different recipes and some of them are very very good.

I finally found a simple and good recipe for sausage gravy. We both love it. Pop the biscuits in the oven first and let them bake for about 15 minutes while preparing the gravy. It has been a big hit in our house. My wife has always said that my scrambled eggs are better than hers, so the combination is a nice treat.

I can share the recipe if anyone is interested, but it is sinfully easy.

I finally found a simple and good recipe for sausage gravy. We both love it. Pop the biscuits in the oven first and let them bake for about 15 minutes while preparing the gravy. It has been a big hit in our house. My wife has always said that my scrambled eggs are better than hers, so the combination is a nice treat.

I can share the recipe if anyone is interested, but it is sinfully easy.
Let's have it Morgan!!😉😊

I use Jimmy Dean sausage because it is readily available, but your favorite will work fine; a 1 pound package (the kind that comes in a roll/log). I brown half the package in a 13" (?) frying pan on medium heat. When the sausage is browned add 1/4 cup of flour. Stir constantly until the flour is mixed in. The grease from the sausage will absorb some of the flour. Don't worry if some flour sticks to the bottom of the pan. When the flour is mixed in add 2 cups of milk and stir. You do have to stay with it and stir constantly for 10 minutes or so. As it starts to cool it will thicken on its own.

My wife likes things more on the bland side, so I do not use spicy sausage or any seasoning. You could certainly add salt and pepper to taste or your seasoning of choice. She also likes more gravy than sausage, so I only use half the package. I would like to try the Jimmy Dean Hot sausage. I would probably like it, but I doubt she would. Hope you like it.

I use Jimmy Dean sausage because it is readily available, but your favorite will work fine; a 1 pound package (the kind that comes in a roll/log). I brown half the package in a 13" (?) frying pan on medium heat. When the sausage is browned add 1/4 cup of flour. Stir constantly until the flour is mixed in. The grease from the sausage will absorb some of the flour. Don't worry if some flour sticks to the bottom of the pan. When the flour is mixed in add 2 cups of milk and stir. You do have to stay with it and stir constantly for 10 minutes or so. As it starts to cool it will thicken on its own.

My wife likes things more on the bland side, so I do not use spicy sausage or any seasoning. You could certainly add salt and pepper to taste or your seasoning of choice. She also likes more gravy than sausage, so I only use half the package. I would like to try the Jimmy Dean Hot sausage. I would probably like it, but I doubt she would. Hope you like it.
That's about how I make it. I can't use the spicy either, hubby is not a fan of it. That's just good old country cooking!!

That's about how I make it. I can't use the spicy either, hubby is not a fan of it. That's just good old country cooking!!

I am way late to the party, so it isn't fair for me to say "Great Minds think Alike". You have already been doing it, but we sure like it.

I always buy spicy sausage. For those who have someone who doesn't care for spicy, you certainly could add some sort of hot sauce to yours.

I do something quite like this with hamburger, but I add sage, red and black pepper to the mix.
A patty of that on a cat head biscuit with egg and cheese is a full meal!

One of my favorite things at breakfast time for a while now has been a big glass of tomato juice...
The spicy kind or tomato, clam blends have been especially good.. Even store brand options are good..

I would love, love to be able to make good corn bread... Either the middle is soggy, or if the middle is done, the edges are crunchy hard.... Bugger if I can get it right..

Turkey bacon .....blech.... that should be illegal... And yes, I have tried it ...and wished I hadn't....
My 5 cents of opinion...

Turkey is great, but as fake bacon it does not work.

One of my favorite things at breakfast time for a while now has been a big glass of tomato juice...
The spicy kind or tomato, clam blends have been especially good.. Even store brand options are good..

I would love, love to be able to make good corn bread... Either the middle is soggy, or if the middle is done, the edges are crunchy hard.... Bugger if I can get it right..

Turkey bacon .....blech.... that should be illegal... And yes, I have tried it ...and wished I hadn't....
My 5 cents of opinion...

My personal favorite is V8 Juice. Even the Wal Mart knock off is not bad. Down side is it has enough salt in it to pay the Roman army. I'm not keen on the low salt version, but will have it occasionally. I love Clamato Juice, and was first introduced to it when I used to spend a lot of time in Montreal. Bloody Ceasar is a big hit up there, the Canadian version of the Bloody Mary using Clamato juice. I still buy it here, but it is a little pricey. Good choice for a breakfast juice. :great:

My personal favorite is V8 Juice. Even the Wal Mart knock off is not bad. Down side is it has enough salt in it to pay the Roman army. I'm not keen on the low salt version, but will have it occasionally. I love Clamato Juice, and was first introduced to it when I used to spend a lot of time in Montreal. Bloody Ceasar is a big hit up there, the Canadian version of the Bloody Mary using Clamato juice. I still buy it here, but it is a little pricey. Good choice for a breakfast juice. :great:
I like the low sodium V8. To me, it’s ‘tomatoier’. I’m afraid if clamato juice because the thought of clam juice grossed me out.

This morning I had two scrambled eggs, two pieces of toast and two slices of maple bacon.

I like the low sodium V8. To me, it’s ‘tomatoier’. I’m afraid if clamato juice because the thought of clam juice grossed me out.

This morning I had two scrambled eggs, two pieces of toast and two slices of maple bacon.

You might give it a try if you are in a restaurant or a bar that has it, and you don't have to buy an entire bottle. I can understand your reluctance. The Bloody Caesar was a great drink. I will make them at home when I am in the mood.

Latest posts

Back