What's In Your Toolbox?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This thought came to me when I recently heard about Sears closing more of their stores.

This is a really an over-reaching question. What is in your toolbox, or your garage, or your workshop? There are general tools, woodworking tools, automotive tools, hand tools, power tools, electrical tools, plumbing tools, framing tools, finishing tools and more.

As a female, I was never really schooled in tools. I have long wished I could have taken shop when I was in h.s. I HAD to take Home Economics, and I greatly resisted that. I was already the chief cook, laundress and housekeeper at home, making most of my own clothing, etc. My grandparents had a tool shed, maybe 16 x 16 that had tools that I had no idea about. I did grow up in a family that made, repaired and maintained as much of their own life as they could. After I graduated from college, my roommates and I did lots of sewing, but, we quickly realized that we needed screwdrivers, pliers, saws, hammers, wrenches, and more. As time went on, I took some woodworking classes and learned that all of those types of tools have variations and specialized types.

When I started buying tools, I bought Craftsmen, at someone's recommendation. I know there are other tool brands that are good.

I was also thinking of preparedness. If I buy food for food storage, I store what I eat and eat what I store. With tools, should I only buy what I have used or know how to use or need now? That has always been my practice.

And then, there is all the hardware to use with tools: nails, screws, on and on and on. It is important to have some of this in a SHTF situation. How much is enough and how much is too much?

I'm always short on nails and screws. I love using a staple gun and hot glue when I can get away with it. We have tools, but I'm pretty tool impaired.
When we had VHS tapes, we had a shelf for them. When the VHS tapes went away, I began using the shelf for all of my bins and boxes of nails, screws and other similar pieces. I have some bins that I use to hold certain types of hardware and have a slot in the front for the label from the box or labels I have made. I also have a small cabinet with plastic drawers that I sorted out all of those oddball pieces. All the Philips screws, no matter the size, where I had a few of, went into one drawer. It has helped me keep small things like that sorted and easier to find, so much better for me than the coffee can sorting that my uncle had. His worked for him because a can of fence staples or nails was a handy thing for his hardwares. It is interesting how oddball pieces add up when you are working on remodeling projects.

Tools I have covered. Growing up my dad was one to fix whatever needed fixed so I learned the value of having tools for various needs. I've traveled light most of my life but tools are something I invested in; that and guitars. :D

I have automotive tools mostly but have most of the carpentry tools needed to build about anything I need to. The hand tools are all Craftsman. I also have quite a selection of chainsaws and other tools related to my business. So yeah, tools are covered. :)

My dad was a jack of all trades. When I was in jr. High school he and I built an entire 3 bedroom house for our family. When I blew up my Honda 50 had to help fix it. I have a good assortment of tools some were even handed down. Most of my hand tools and all of our water hoses are Craftsman. Most people don't know the water hoses were lifetime.

Last edited:
I've always had a plethora of tools and hardware. It started when I was a teenager.
My parents split up but when my mom died, I got her garage stuff (and she wasn't afraid of tools).
Then, my dad had a stroke and moved off his farm. Another wave of tools.
I literally have a half-ton of tools and another half-ton of just hardware/bolts/screws...
For my home needs, I've gone years without having to go to any tool or hardware store.
My investment properties are more specific. Yea, I have the tools but it's a matter of specific hardware needed to send me to the store.

I'm a tool junkie. I have more tools than I could ever need or use.Wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, sockets, and other hand tools are covered. I have a pretty complete woodworking shop. There are a couple of machines I don't have and would like but not really needed. I got a new Kreg pocket hole jig for Christmas and I'm looking forward to using that soon.
As far as hardware I have a lot of nails, screws, nuts and bolts, and rivets.
My big problem is getting the hardware organized so I can find what I need without looking for an hour. Sometimes it's just faster to drive to the hardware store.
I'm working on that.
I bought my wife a small tool box for Christmas and filled it with tools she needs to have. Good tools not junk left over.
She stores it in the pantry so she is set for small repairs.
When my kids were younger I couldn't find a tool I was looking for.
I called them and my wife together and told them to go get my tools. My son had a bunch of 3/4" drive sockets and my daughter and my 24oz framing hammer. I never did figure out why other than they just grabbed what looked like it would work.

My Dad asked my wife to go to the store and get him some 16 penny nails.
She came back with 16 nails.
He laughed so hard he had to sit down.

Ace hardware here sells Craftsman tools. Not sure they will cover them.
Sears sold off Craftsman to Stanley a log time ago but they still covered them.

Ace hardware here sells Craftsman tools. Not sure they will cover them.
Sears sold off Craftsman to Stanley a log time ago but they still covered them.

I didn't realize that Stanley bought out the Craftsman line. Even more important is that Ace carries them. I will follow up on that the next time I am in one of their stores.

If I need some paint, tools, garden supplies, canning jars, hardware, my first hardware stop is my local Ace Hardware. They are smaller than the big box stores but closer to me. My daughter has one close to her as well. Ace Hardware employees have given me great help that I could never have gotten at Home Depot or other places.

My big problem is getting the hardware organized so I can find what I need without looking for an hour. Sometimes it's just faster to drive to the hardware store.
I'm working on that.
I think that is a common problem. I saw someone's large drawered tool chest in a video. I know those are $100's, but oh what a difference they can make.

I was at a friend's house and she told me she didn't know where any of her screwdrivers were. Well, she has a son who has ADD and he likes to build things. He takes tools and never puts them back. The screwdrivers were all found in a box full of misc.

It's his tool box and his junk. I don't usually mess with most of it because he would do it.
I, like Amish Heart, am somewhat tool-impaired. It doesn't mean we're incapable. We might not know the names of everything but we often know that when we see a certain tool that it's the one for the job. Go ahead and laugh.
Power tools and I are not friends.
Estate sales, yard sales, inheritance, all great ways to get awesome old tools. I dont really need anything, I think we've got most everything covered.

I confess, I am tool whore!! LOL
I grew up farming. We worked on everything to keep it working, tractors, tiller, hay balers, house, well, electric, plumbing, vehicles. My step dad had a decent set of tools and added on everytime he needed to do something different. He even got into woodworking and furniture making after doing carpentry for years.
I got my first tool set for Christmas when I turned 13. A nice set from craftsman with top and bottom tool box. I still have most all of it. took auto mechanics in high school and worked as a mechanic for a few years when I graduated. I went on to electronic school and got into industrial maintenance. So I guess I've made a career with tools. I added on to the set quite a lot during that time. As years passed, I've added electrical/electronic repair to my toolkit, along with my own carpentry and woodworking stuff. I've even started picking up some blacksmithing tools and I'm down to just needing to find a good anvil to give that a shot.
Hardware, I've got to buying a box or bucket of nails and screws everytime I need some. starting to get a good collection. Same with lumber, wiring, plumbing goods. I like having my own stores when I need to fix something.
Our local Co-Op has been selling Craftsman tool for a few years and when our local Sears put up going out of business signs, their entire inventory was moved to Lowes. so I think warranty shouldn't be a problem for sometime to come.

I heard this week Lowe's has started selling Craftsman tools. I don't know if they honor the old warranties... Probably not.

I confess, I am tool whore!! LOL
I grew up farming.

Our local Co-Op has been selling Craftsman tool for a few years and when our local Sears put up going out of business signs, their entire inventory was moved to Lowes. so I think warranty shouldn't be a problem for sometime to come.

Hope you're are right about Lowes...

@Bacpacker "I confess, I am tool whore!! LOL" LOL, you and me both!

In answer to the OP question I would ask "which tool box?" I have a tool set for truck/vehicle repairs... I could swap out a tranny on the side of the road if I had to, an engine change would be pushing it though. I have another set for major equipment repairs, tractors, balers, etc... I have yet another set of tools that would allow me to repair a catscan, mri or missile system.

Then there is my little tool box... home repair... I can rewire several rooms, replace door knobs, doors, windows or floors.

@Bacpacker "I confess, I am tool whore!! LOL" :D:D:D

Like you I grew up on a farm, tools made equipment run, equipment put food on the table. I earned my living my entire adult life using tools... My entire life... tools made it happen. :)

Last edited:
I am slowly getting more tools here as I go. I need to take better care of my hand tools though. I admit I let them set out in the sun often or don't even tool up at all, wash them off , oil the metal or wood. Ive become lazy at times with it and I think my issue is I need a central place to put everything and not be spread out like I have it now. That way I could not give myself a excuse to not tool up or clean after Im done. A tool area or shed in on my to do list...
Other tools I find at garage sales and whatnot, plus hardware. It is amazing what I can score for dirt cheap from folks who just want to unload. Nails, screws, bolts, doo dads, and doo hickies , wrenches, screwdrivers and thingies I still don't know what they are for but every summer I find a load, sort it into saved coffee cans and shelve it. It's great to have a gate or fencing project and just go find what I need in a coffee can or bucket...
I also scored hand tools like saws, meat grinders and non electricity tools and guides for crazy cheap..and yard art too like old leather headstalls with bits and 20 years of pristine mother earth news mags for 5 bucks..
me likey...

I heard this week Lowe's has started selling Craftsman tools. I don't know if they honor the old warranties... Probably not.

Hope you're are right about Lowes...

@Bacpacker "I confess, I am tool whore!! LOL" LOL, you and me both!

In answer to the OP question I would ask "which tool box?" I have a tool set for truck/vehicle repairs... I could swap out a tranny on the side of the road if I had to, an engine change would be pushing it though. I have another set for major equipment repairs, tractors, balers, etc... I have yet another set of tools that would allow me to repair a catscan, mri or missile system.

Then there is my little tool box... home repair... I can rewire several rooms, replace door knobs, doors, windows or floors.

@Bacpacker "I confess, I am tool whore!! LOL" :D:D:D

Like you I grew up on a farm, tools made equipment run, equipment put food on the table. I earned my living my entire adult life using tools... My entire life... tools made it happen. :)
I heard that Craftsman tools are now made in China. I guess that should not be a surprise.

I have a chain saw, but it has its limitations because it is 14" and is electric, because those pull chain or pull starts have always been tough for me. An extension cord is easier now, but we know that could change. But heck, I have had men in my neighborhood borrow it.

I saw this video by Wranglerstar cutting firewood the old fashioned way, and I thought the saw he had would be a great addition to any homesteader or prepper's tools.

I'm always short on nails and screws. I love using a staple gun and hot glue when I can get away with it. We have tools, but I'm pretty tool impaired.
I have been to a few garage/yard sales where I was able to get several boxes for much less than retail. People like me, work for years on their older homes and when they are ready to move on, they may have large collections of hardware. I am sure you can have too many nails and screws, but I have never arrived at that place.

For a period of time, I saled on many Saturday mornings. I would look at sale ads on Craigs list, enter zip codes, neighborhoods, etc, or what I was looking for to find sales that might have what I was interested in. I would create a list, sequenced by addresses so I was being efficient in my travels.

The Craftsman website indicates the warranties for hand tools will be honored:

HAND TOOLS

• Hammers & Demolition Tools
  • Finishing Tools
  • Hex Key
  • Knives & Multi-tools
  • Nut Drivers
  • Pliers
  • Rachets & Sockets
  • Screwdrivers
  • Wrenches & Wrench Sets
Full Lifetime Warranty

If the product fails to perform for any reason, we will replace it. Return damaged product to a stocking Retail Partner or call 1-888-331-4569 for details. No proof of purchase required.

Note: Same Warranty for all New Craftsman Models (Model # starting with “CMHT”) and older models (Model # starting with “9”)

Certain Exclusions: Warranty does not cover expendable parts which can wear from normal use (i.e. blade in a knife)

That said, it's been a good many years since I had a failure on a hand tool, but I got older, and don't use a 6 foot pipe on breaker bar all that much anymore :( Kobalt (Lowes) and even the harbor freight line is improved and cheaper in many cases than other tools.

Now. for what's in the "Go Bag" Toolbox:
Flashlight
Inspection Mirror
Adjustable wrenches (don't tell Grandpa)
Water pump pliers
Regular and needle nose pliers
Torx bits
1/4, 3/8, 1/2 SAE/metric sockets
Ratchets/extensions to match
philips and flat screwdrivers
Hex drive drill bits (assorted sizes)
allen wrenches (SAE and Metric)
Porter Cable lithium battery impact wrench :)

I think that is a common problem. I saw someone's large drawered tool chest in a video. I know those are $100's, but oh what a difference they can make.

I was at a friend's house and she told me she didn't know where any of her screwdrivers were. Well, she has a son who has ADD and he likes to build things. He takes tools and never puts them back. The screwdrivers were all found in a box full of misc.

I know where all of my tools are and I am a fanatic for keeping them put in place.
People I used to work with hated me for my attitude with tools, but if they needed a tool they knew I would have one and I knew where it was.
I have mats in my tool drawers with cutouts for each tool so if something is missing it is easy to see.
My problem is nuts,bolts,washers,nails and things like that.
I have a big metal Army surplus cabinet with about 30 metal drawers that will be my hardware storage.
I hot glue a sample of what's in the drawer on the outside of the drawer so I don't have to open every one to find what I'm looking for.
It's a real time saver.

In my career I bought the tools I used. I have wrenches from 3/32" up to 2-1/2" and metric wrenches in most of the same range. I have a couple of sets of spanner wrenches both in fixed and adjustable types. I have sockets in 1/4" drive, 3/8" inch drive, 1/2" drive and 3/4 inch drive. Shallow, deep, six, 8 and 12 point. I have spline, spanner and extractor sockets that are used on specific types of nuts. I have screwdrivers from 1mm to 3/4" flat bits, Phillip screwdrivers from 00 to #4, clutch and star drivers along with impact drivers and sockets. Hex key drivers and sockets, punches and chisels, scribes and picks. Pliers for every need and use including snap ring, locking, lock ring and crimping. I have hammers from 2 ounce to 8 pounds in ball and cross peen and a few old framing and finishing hammers. I have inside and outside micrometers and calipers, hole gauges, and snap gauges as well as a number of dial indicators with stands. I have pressure and vacuum gauges, volt, ohm, capacitance and amp meters. Vacuum brake bleeder, compression testers, timing lights, dwell meters, coil tester and radiator tester. I have 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4 inch drive impact and air ratchets and impact sockets in SAE and metric. Drill motors from 1/4 inch to 1/2" and drill sets for wood, metal and one set for hardened steel in cobalt. Two sets of hole saws, one for wood and one for steel. I have reamers from 0.18 to .875 inch and a set of adjustable reamers in the same range to cover metric and odd sizes. There are soldering guns and irons up to 2500 watts, a MIG welder from 30 to 175 amps, a parts oven for heat treating or drying, hand and bench grinders, sanders, cut-off tools and high speed grinders with a selection of bits including a set of diamond bits for glass. I have a table saw, a cross cut saw, skill saws, jig saws, a few hand saws, hacksaws and coping saws. Tubing and pipe cutters, flaring tools and tap and die sets. I have a few heli-coil thread repair kits and thread chaser sets. There is a couple of torque wrench sets and puller / pusher tool sets, two sets of bushing and bearing driver sets. Doweling jigs, pocket screw jigs, sanders and routers. Then the big tools like my shop air compressor, drill press, arbor press, lathe, engine hoist, hydraulic jacks and jack stands.
I know I have missed some but suffice it to say I have well over $50,000 in replacement cost if I had to replace all my tools. I'm still using them so they don't get to collect dust.

When I am between projects my shop is clean and neat. When I am in the middle of three or four projects it can get pretty bad. Put me in at a "C". :)
I have two roll cabinets with top boxes and there is a place for everything BUT I may have tools spread out around each job to help me remember where I was when I was interrupted.
My shop is a good example of "organized chaos" in that I know where things are but they are not where they belong.
I just finished a project and the shop is in pretty good shape right now. I do have two projects in process and there are a few large pieces of equipment tied into those projects but it is easy to get around in the shop and there are no messes. My shop has not been in A+ condition since I started building it 5 years ago. It actually started filling with projects before it was finished. I had to build the benches and work platforms during construction. I built the bench for my lathe, arbor press, oven, bench grinder and drill press as well as the floor platform for my compressor. I needed to build my work bench too. It is in much better shape now that I have wall racks for my selection of clamps and shelving for power tools. I still have parts that don't fit on shelving and equipment that would be better in the garage rather than in my shop but the garage has two cars and all the garden tools and supplies in it. Neither the garage nor the shop is small but my interests are varied. I have a set of chemistry glassware and the metal stands for it all, the project car that I am working on in the shop along with seats and other parts for it and the 6000 watt generator and my space for reloading are in the shop. Both are heated and cooled so they are comfortable all year to be in. My wife doesn't have to scrape or defrost windows in the winter to go shopping. She gets into a warm car that is kept out of the weather. In the summer the car is not baked in the sun so it is nice to be able to just get in and go. It gives me a place to do the regular maintenance and all I need to do is grab the tools to get it done. No more working in the cold, wet or heat in the back yard. I did that for too many years. I have a nice insulated concrete floor and a clean place to work. The garage is not as well lit as the shop but it has some lighting and I have a selection of drop lights.

I have a chain saw, but it has its limitations because it is 14" and is electric, because those pull chain or pull starts have always been tough for me. An extension cord is easier now, but we know that could change. But heck, I have had men in my neighborhood borrow it.

I saw this video by Wranglerstar cutting firewood the old fashioned way, and I thought the saw he had would be a great addition to any homesteader or prepper's tools.

Mine is a two man saw. No, it doesn't get used anymore but I still have it and know how to sharpen it.

I learned at an early age that the toolbox was worth the price of the tools in it. Without a place to put the tool will disappear.

The first tool that I remember helping make was an open end wrench to get into a tight spot on Dad's D-4 Cat. A piece of scrap angle iron cut to the right length and welded to a rod a foot or so long and you have a bung wrench. The tool I was most pleased with making was when I saw a piece of 1X8 maple, about two and a half feet long wash up on my beach. I cut a handle at one end that fit my hand well. Then I tapered the other three sides with a hand plane and finally sand paper. When it was worked to my satisfaction I oiled it down with cooking oil. I can work ten pounds or more of peanut brittle, almond roca, or other candy at a time with that spatula. Not all tools are in the garage.

The dentist has a set of tools that differs from the surgeon, carpenter, mechanic, cook, or seamstress. Everyone uses tools according to their need.

Last edited:
Mine is a two man saw. No, it doesn't get used anymore but I still have it and know how to sharpen it.

I learned at an early age that the toolbox was worth the price of the tools in it. Without a place to put the tool will disappear.

The first tool that I remember helping make was an open end wrench to get into a tight spot on Dad's D-4 Cat. A piece of scrap angle iron cut to the right length and welded to a rod a foot or so long and you have a bung wrench. The tool I was most pleased with making was when I saw a piece of 1X8 maple, about two and a half feet long wash up on my beach. I cut a handle at one end that fit my hand well. Then I tapered the other three sides with a hand plane and finally sand paper. When it was worked to my satisfaction I oiled it down with cooking oil. I can work ten pounds or more of peanut brittle, almond roca, or other candy at a time with that spatula. Not all tools are in the garage.

The dentist has a set of tools that differs from the surgeon, carpenter, mechanic, cook, or seamstress. Everyone uses tools according to their need.
Making tools is quite a skill. Once again, a shop class in h.s. would have been a good place to start learning about tools and how to use them, to develop enough skill to be able to make them.

I know I have shared this before, but I have spray painted my tools pink. It helps me and others to identify them at a glance and I know a man is much less likely to want to take one of them.

In 7th and 8th grades the whole class had to take "shop" class with Mr. H or Mr. L. As well as taking cooking class with Miss E. They didn't make the boys take the sewing class though, they got to do cars.
This has got me to thinking -- I'd better ask the old man what is essential for the old lady in the toolbox and garage.

In 7th and 8th grades the whole class had to take "shop" class with Mr. H or Mr. L. As well as taking cooking class with Miss E. They didn't make the boys take the sewing class though, they got to do cars.
This has got me to thinking -- I'd better ask the old man what is essential for the old lady in the toolbox and garage.
Maybe everyone learned some cooking basics? Everyone eats, so knowing some basic cooking skills is important for everyone.

I have several toolboxes.
First toolbox has the following:
110 piece Ultra Tough Ultra Steel 1/4 in.3/8 inch Drive Home Repair Tool Set.
Second Toolbox is my first aid Kit.
It has the following:Bandages various sizes,Gauze,Tape various sizes,neosporin, Tylenol,
Syringes with Saline to clean wounds, syringes,alcohol pads,sutures,salt tablets,
Diabetic Tester with strips,shot glass,flashlight,pen light,Sharpie marker-black
Surgical instruments for various needs,shot glass,Compact mirror,tarp various sizes
tweezers various sizes, rain gear,snow gear,extra socks,blankets,soap,water, granola bars,nuts,pb p38(military can opener),and pretty sure I have forgot something
Third toolbox has Crafting paints in it.
Sand paper, hoops,paint brushes etc.
Fourth has hand held tools;
Matrix drill,saw,router attachments
extra batteries,charger,
saw blades: metal,plastic,wood, drill bits, router bits, small clamps

Latest posts

Back