What's In Your Toolbox?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured that everybody needs to know the basics. Many years ago my girlfriend just made it home with a flat tire. I dutifully started out to change the flat when she said that she had never changed a tire. My wife has never forgiven me for making her change that tire.

After reading peanuts and Sheepdog's reply's glad to see I'm not the only one on here. LOL
I agree it's important to properly store your tools so you can keep up with them, find something when you need it. My past job, we had to install a 5S program (and for the moment I don't recall what all 5 s's were), but the biggest impact to me was to have your tools in their place so you could find them quickly when you needed them. We even had to make cut outs for each wrench, socket, ect. It was a pain to set up, but after putting it to use I could find anything in just a few seconds. in a production facility seconds add up over the course of a shift.
At home I have 2 rolling cabinets top and bottom box that most of my hand tools stay in. I also have multiple bags for specific task. One for chain saw work (complete with tourniquet and Quik Clot gause), one for carpentry, one to go in the vehicle for road trips. If anyone is looking for reasonably priced tool chest, take a look at Harbor freight. They have large to huge tool chest sets, I think 26" up to 72". They are not the highest quality compared to pro type cabinets by Snap On or Mac. Much closer to what craftsman now sells.
Sheep Dog, Your shop sounds like a nice place to do work at. My shop is decent size, but right now dirt floor and no power. I do most of my work in the basement or outside. A heated/cooled shop sounds great to me.
I to am working on finding good old hand tool. I have a nice cross cut saw, looking for a Rip saw. I also have a really old miter saw that I think was my grand pa or great grand pa's. It is everybit as accurate as my compound miter saw, maybe even better.

I have a chain saw, but it has its limitations because it is 14" and is electric, because those pull chain or pull starts have always been tough for me. An extension cord is easier now, but we know that could change. But heck, I have had men in my neighborhood borrow it.

I saw this video by Wranglerstar cutting firewood the old fashioned way, and I thought the saw he had would be a great addition to any homesteader or prepper's tools.

I have a little electric saw too. I got it to do small project type stuff until I purchased a gas saw. NO joke, I still haven't purchased a gas saw and I have cut probably 5 cords of firewood with that little beast! plus all my other projects. Last summer I finally replaced the chain. I couldn't sharpen it anymore and rely that It was cutting strait. Not a real big deal cutting firewood but I screwed up some fence tops with some wonky slightly sidway slanting cuts. I figured it was time to change out the chain.
I still plan on getting a gas saw but that little electric saw for 30 bucks is a good deal in my opinion.

I have a little electric saw too. I got it to do small project type stuff until I purchased a gas saw. NO joke, I still haven't purchased a gas saw and I have cut probably 5 cords of firewood with that little beast! plus all my other projects. Last summer I finally replaced the chain. I couldn't sharpen it anymore and rely that It was cutting strait. Not a real big deal cutting firewood but I screwed up some fence tops with some wonky slightly sidway slanting cuts. I figured it was time to change out the chain.
I still plan on getting a gas saw but that little electric saw for 30 bucks is a good deal in my opinion.
Replacing the chain is something I have struggled with. I have replaced mine a couple times, or rather, I have had it replaced. I will try things like that and try for a while, until I realize I can't do it. I take it to a local shop that repairs chainsaws, snowblowers, lawnmowers, etc. They get it done quickly. I have never figured out why it is so difficult for me to replace the blade.

Weedy, its super easy. You should have a simple cover over the chain area that rests upon the motor housing. usually just a nut holds the cover on. Just take it off, loosen the bar to remove the chain if it is too tight and the chain will easily fall off the bar. grab the new on and put it on just like you took the old one off and basically reverse your steps. I usually clean out any sawdust before I put it back together. Just take your time and play with it...or ask a buddie who knows how to do it and have them walk you through it.
They purposefully make it pretty simple because most folks wont bother to sharpen a chain. The saw companies make a boatload of $$ off folks who would rather buy a new chain everytime it gets dull as opposed to sharpening on. Or count on folks not knowing how to sharpen the chain and maybe even not knowing it can be sharpened. That is pretty easy too but it takes some practice. saving a old chain to practice on would be a idea for you? At your saw shop you could ask the saw guy what file side you need, you shouldn't need more than two round and sorta shaped like a pencil files, I think one is 7/32? I cant remember but their is a kit you can get. A field shaperning kit that has the files, a tool called a 4 in one and a squrenchy (spell?) and a bag to contain it all in. I think they run about 15 bucks. I bet you could youtube how to field sharpen a chainsaw chain with a field kit and boom..will save you money in the long run and is very handy to know how to do.

What's in my toolbox?
Some Craftsman, Some Napa Lots of Snap on.

My first tool box had a handle on top and you could carry it while you walked. I took it into my first mechanic shop I worked at.... A Harley Davidson Dealership and was informed that it was a lunch box.
My last Tool box was a limited edition Harley Davidson Snap on Top and Bottom box in burgundy. The top box was stolen in a burglary of the shop I worked at and I lost $30,000.00 in tools. ( I still kick myself for not bolting the two boxes together).
The boss came in and told me I had two weeks to buy more tools or find a new job.
Then the Snap On Tools guy came in and wanted his payment on the tool box. I didn't feel too good about it.

I figured that everybody needs to know the basics. Many years ago my girlfriend just made it home with a flat tire. I dutifully started out to change the flat when she said that she had never changed a tire. My wife has never forgiven me for making her change that tire.
Caribou, I believe everyone who drives, needs to know how to change a tire. I wish I had required my daughter to change one before I let her get her license. He dad was deceased by that time.

It was part of my Driver's Education training, and later in college I took a one hour course in automotive maintenance. We had to do tune-ups and change tires.

I was not raised to play the helpless card, ever.

What's in my toolbox?
Some Craftsman, Some Napa Lots of Snap on.

My first tool box had a handle on top and you could carry it while you walked. I took it into my first mechanic shop I worked at.... A Harley Davidson Dealership and was informed that it was a lunch box.
My last Tool box was a limited edition Harley Davidson Snap on Top and Bottom box in burgundy. The top box was stolen in a burglary of the shop I worked at and I lost $30,000.00 in tools. ( I still kick myself for not bolting the two boxes together).
The boss came in and told me I had two weeks to buy more tools or find a new job.
Then the Snap On Tools guy came in and wanted his payment on the tool box. I didn't feel too good about it.
Horrible!

I posted this some where here in the forum... It's Granberg sharpening jig for chainsaws. https://granberg.com/

If you know the angles of the teeth of your saw's chain this little jig will return every tooth to the original factory sharpness... I love this little tool. It's a little clunky to use but that is far out weighed by what it'll do for a chainsaw.

I lock the bar in a vice, lock the jig on the bar then hand sharpen each tooth. I usually sharpen all the right hand teeth (every other one), the the left hand teeth which requires resetting up the jig.

Too funny... I just realized from this photo that the last time I took off the bar and cleaned it I put it back on upside down... The lettering "Husqvarna" on the bar is upside down... :D Doesn't matter, will run fine either way...

Granberg_v1.jpg

Last edited:
if you have the patience and know how for a jig, it is the best to get a chain sharpened to factory order..I just never TOOK the opportunity to get to use one proficiently. I always had to wait in line for a vice to be available when I was using saws on a daily basis, and I wasn't willing to wait after a long day in the field. So I field sharpened my chain a lot and usually once a month or two, so when My saw needed deeper maintenance , it had a field trip to the saw shop the saw leader for the crews did the required maintenance and jig sharpened the chain good. That said , I really did have a knack for field sharpeneing my chain to last a long time and well done with the right angles n whatnot..that was ages ago but I still remember the how too now..training days I guess for the homestead.. :)

Weedy, its super easy. You should have a simple cover over the chain area that rests upon the motor housing. usually just a nut holds the cover on. Just take it off, loosen the bar to remove the chain if it is too tight and the chain will easily fall off the bar. grab the new on and put it on just like you took the old one off and basically reverse your steps. I usually clean out any sawdust before I put it back together. Just take your time and play with it...or ask a buddie who knows how to do it and have them walk you through it.
They purposefully make it pretty simple because most folks wont bother to sharpen a chain. The saw companies make a boatload of $$ off folks who would rather buy a new chain everytime it gets dull as opposed to sharpening on. Or count on folks not knowing how to sharpen the chain and maybe even not knowing it can be sharpened. That is pretty easy too but it takes some practice. saving a old chain to practice on would be a idea for you? At your saw shop you could ask the saw guy what file side you need, you shouldn't need more than two round and sorta shaped like a pencil files, I think one is 7/32? I cant remember but their is a kit you can get. A field shaperning kit that has the files, a tool called a 4 in one and a squrenchy (spell?) and a bag to contain it all in. I think they run about 15 bucks. I bet you could youtube how to field sharpen a chainsaw chain with a field kit and boom..will save you money in the long run and is very handy to know how to do.
Hooch, I have been there, down to all of that. I just cannot make it work.

Early on, I had engraved my information on my tools. That didn't stop them from going missing. Painting them pink did. Individual tools can be put in a pocket and carried away. A tool box is another story.
My local garden, where I had a plot for a few years, sometimes had tools go missing. We had a shed that had a combination lock on it that we all had the code to. There were a variety of garden tools in there, but I would get to the garden wanting to hoe out weeds, or rake or something, and the tools would be gone! Later, they would be back. I got to the point that I kept my gardening supplies in the trunk of my car. We did have a discussion about tools going missing. I suggested that all the handles get painted a bright color and the name of the garden written or stenciled on the handle.

A can of spray paint and tools laid out on some newspaper and tools can easily be sprayed an identifying color of your choice. I was once looking through my daughter's tool box and saw a screw driver of mine that went missing. Yep, it might be your adult children who make off with a tool or two.

Dad used to blame me for all the missing tools. When I moved out the honor was passed to my brother till he moved out. My youngest brother took up the blame baton until he moved. The three of us have agreed that the dog is now responsible. Dad just gives us a sideways look.

I was complaining to my Dad once about all the tools my son had lost.
He just smiled and said I was paying for my raising.
In other words, my son was getting even for my dad for all the tools I lost as a kid.

I worked at a place that went to the 5S system.
Everyone hated it. They actually had a team that went around and removed stuff they deemed excess.
One woman opened the drawer on my desk and said I did not need so many pins and pencils and started to take them.
I told her to get away from my desk and if she removed anything she was going to have a big problem.
The rest of the guys in the shop did the same thing.
When the boss came in and told us we didn't have any choice and they were going to take what the said was excess we all told him we quit.
They changed their story and left us alone.
I did score some good stuff from the people that did comply.
I still hate the whole 5S thing.

5S is a workplace organization method that uses a list of five Japanese words: seiri (整理), seiton (整頓), seisō (清掃), seiketsu (清潔), and shitsuke (躾). These have been translated as "Sort", "Set In order", "Shine", "Standardize" and "Sustain".[1] The list describes how to organize a work space for efficiency and effectiveness by identifying and storing the items used, maintaining the area and items, and sustaining the new order. The decision-making process usually comes from a dialogue about standardization, which builds understanding among employees of how they should do the work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology)

Backlash, Thanks for posting up the 5S info. I hadn't touched it in 10 years and just couldn't recall it. We had issues as well of the powers that be wanting to strip out so much stuff. I actually worked up numbers showing how much money they were wanting to throw away and proposed a comprimize they accepted for our department. Cleanout and maintain only what we thought we needed on the line and in our parts storage. Take the excess and store it out of the way, but labeled and still available. Within a week we had to get into the excess parts 3 times for serious repairs. Cost of the parts would have been close to $10,000, not to mention the time to get them delivered to our plant. 2 of them would have shut down our department. After that they let me and a couple others work out what worked best for us. Within a year of that I moved from supervisor to Manufacturing engineer over parts and maintenance. Using some of the 5S system and a lot of common sense and a year later I had saved them over $100,000 in parts purchases and uptime over the previous year in production.

I posted this some where here in the forum... It's Granberg sharpening jig for chainsaws. https://granberg.com/

If you know the angles of the teeth of your saw's chain this little jig will return every tooth to the original factory sharpness... I love this little tool. It's a little clunky to use but that is far out weighed by what it'll do for a chainsaw.

I lock the bar in a vice, lock the jig on the bar then hand sharpen each tooth. I usually sharpen all the right hand teeth (every other one), the the left hand teeth which requires resetting up the jig.

Too funny... I just realized from this photo that the last time I took off the bar and cleaned it I put it back on upside down... The lettering "Husqvarna" on the bar is upside down... :D Doesn't matter, will run fine either way...

View attachment 9998
I have one of these. I can do a full blade in 5 minutes after setting it up with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-63804.html

Your wife lets you have a girlfriend? My husband said he's jealous....... No girlfriends for him.:LOL:

Your wife lets you have a girlfriend? My husband said he's jealous....... No girlfriends for him.:LOL:
I pray a lot.
Lord, give me a woman that can cook.
Lord give me a woman that I can talk to.
Please lord give me a woman to love me.
Lord give me a woman to bear me fine children.
Lord give me a woman to create a home.
Dear Lord, please don't ever let them meet.

Tools we are pretty much set for except for some fencing pliers we will need shortly.

As far as organisation is concerned we bought smaller tool boxes rather cheaply and I put screwdrivers in one etc and have one toolbox for plumbing etc with masking tape on the top with contents written on it in permanent marker and this helps DH because he has memory loss and can't remember where he puts things most times.

I was brought up in an unusual way in which I was called "the boy he never had" by my Muslim convert father. He right from an early age threw me in the car repair pit beside him and taught me how to repair cars and to do house renovations etc so I learnt on my feet so to say from an early age. Strange as he didn't teach my adopted sisters any of that as he deemed them as "less than skilled" after trying many times. Probably one of the only things in my childhood that he taught me that was a valuable skill in my view.

Last edited:
I met my girlfriend at 5 years of age. We baled hay in her father field together, she can cook as good,if not better than her mother.
Years later I made my wife change her tire at a gas station, because I refused to take a six week old baby out in the cold after dark.
She has never forgiven me, but the kid grew up healthy & I made her change a tire too.
Daddy is a meaniee.
I ash my daughter when she was 20 how many tire she has changed, she said just one.
When she saw my confused look.
She smile & said Daddy I am a girl, all I do is smile & some Big Strong Man will be glad to show how it is done.

I met my girlfriend at 5 years of age. We baled hay in her father field together, she can cook as good,if not better than her mother.
Years later I made my wife change her tire at a gas station, because I refused to take a six week old baby out in the cold after dark.
She has never forgiven me, but the kid grew up healthy & I made her change a tire too.
Daddy is a meaniee.
I ash my daughter when she was 20 how many tire she has changed, she said just one.
When she saw my confused look.
She smile & said Daddy I am a girl, all I do is smile & some Big Strong Man will be glad to show how it is done.
I think many girls grow up learning this at home. Lucky her that she had good modeling from you, so when she smiled at a young age, she got what she wanted and needed.

I have most of the day to day tools.
I find myself buying tools for my children, ones I never needed for my home, farm & trade.
Now if I can get them married & some Grand children that would be great.

Latest posts

Back