What's Your Best Mole Eradicator?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
run a hose from your lawn mower or car exhaust down the hole. Kill them with the fumes.

Well that makes two of voting for that method. Glad to see great minds thinking a like.:thumbs up:

You can stop anything, if you remove their food source.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mil....69i57j0l5.17010j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Eliminating grubs with Milky Spore may cause moles and skunks to feed elsewhere. Unfortunately, they may head for your neighbor's untreated yard instead. Milky Spore does not affect moles; it simply reduces their food source.Jun 21, 2012

It worked on three different yards for me.

I've seen the poison gas bombs work pretty well. You could tell where all the tunnels were because a little of the smoke would come up through the ground. For a temporary fix it's good.

Are you on rural water or do you have your own well? If you've got your own supply you could try flooding the tunnels, then shooting/trapping/clubbing them when they come to the surface...

Back when I was a kid grandpa found some tunnels in the flower beds so they were out of the way. Then he inserted a glass pop bottle at an angle so the neck was about 3" above the soil. If you have ever blown into a glass bottle you know the sound it makes. Well apparently t he wind causes sound in the tunnels and the ground in general.

I don't remember how long it took but shortly after that no more mole hills. I know because I was the one that had to cut the lawn. He left them in there and in the next 12 years we never had moles.

I have beennfighting Moles for 20 years,
They have made a huge mess of my bfront yard,
I have about give up.

Someone please tell me how to get rid of them,

The best so far has been them scissor type killer traps,
but man you gotta place them just right.

Jim

That's what I use and if used right it doesn't take long,longest it's taken me was 2 days and that was just the one time,the other 2 I caught only took an hour. It's all in finding the most used run. This is what I use.

https://www.ruralking.com/mole-eliminator-trap-1001.html

Last edited:
Ive tried every thing yall mentioned,

If I knew how to place the traps startegicly , I think that would do it for me,

Some one told me to put the trap where they enter the yard , long straight trails, when I do ....it gets them.

That worke, but when all of a sudden these spsghetti trails just appear in the middle of the yard....where to put it?

put it in the spaghetti , but nothing.

Jim

The first thing you need to do is push down ALL the runs with your foot,then keep a close eye on your yard. The first runs that pop back up is where you want to set the trap,before it splits off any. Make sure there's no human sent on the scissors part,in fact I push them in and out of the ground a few times where you're not going to be setting it,and then push it into the ground into the center of the run and set it by pushing the lever down with your foot. Make sure the set trap is parallel to the ground or it may go off by itself. It's possible there's may be more than 1 entrance so you might want to set more than 1 trap,I've got 2 but have only used both that 1 time it took 2 days.

I have about give up.

Jim
My dog named Strawberry. She is Beagle/ Jack Russell mix. I have no moles,voles,ground squirrels in my yard since getting her in 2014.

My dog named Strawberry. She is Beagle/ Jack Russell mix. I have no moles,voles,ground squirrels in my yard since getting her in 2014.
My first doberman was an expert mole hunter. He'd just be walking along and then stop, bite at the grass and come up with a mole in his mouth. LOL

I have about give up.

Jim
Pess's dogs do a pretty good job. Kinda messes up the yard, though, they have a tendency to leave craters behind them.

A mole(s) moved into my yard this summer.Tunnels everywhere.I got poison and put it in the tunnels I found but it didn't do any good and I worried about my chickens finding it.It tore up the back and was last noticed in the front.I got a couple of ideas from here I'll try when things thaw out.Thanks,y'all!!!

A number of years back I had a mole digging around in our garden area and I happen to have some old gun powder around that I needed to get rid of so I opened up a fresh pile a mole had just made, put about a pound of that old powder in the tunnel with a powder trail, lit it off and no more moles for a very long time.

My prediction for Mole eradication come spring :) thumbnail.jpg

I've worked out a really good system with Sam (my really big Rottweiler/Shepard/Lab mix). He'll happily take care of gophers, moles, etc - usually bites their heads off and brings the body to me in the hopes of a reward. But he won't dig 'em up...too much work, I guess. So I use smoke bombs, which are pretty effective at driving them out of their tunnels. Sam has learned to wait wherever he sees smoke coming up in the yard or garden, knowing that something will pop up pretty quickly.

I've worked out a really good system with Sam (my really big Rottweiler/Shepard/Lab mix). He'll happily take care of gophers, moles, etc - usually bites their heads off and brings the body to me in the hopes of a reward. But he won't dig 'em up...too much work, I guess.

Beau the Coonhound is my mole eradicator and he WILL dig them up. There are still foot deep trenches in the yard from the Summer of the Great Mole Hunt 3 years ago. Ugh. Though if I am ever chased around the yard by an axe murderer the trenches will come in handy.

Plus I don't even care if there are moles in the grass.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back