Whats Your Favorite Hat?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Personally I like the wide brim for working and the lady fedora for occasional casual or dressy wear.

Hubby likes his Stetson Gun Club hat, it is 4 XXXX beaver. It looks fedora to me. He also has a couple fedoras and a cowboy type Stetson.

I have a half dozen or so cowboy hats of various brands in good felt, plus a couple of them in straw. A few ball caps, a couple of toques and a couple trappers hats for winter. Hats are like footwear, change em out everyday to keep em dry.

I don't wear hats either unless I need protection (helmet), am wearing my dress uniform or it's below -20 or so. But if I did have a favorite hat, it would be this one:

make-america-great-again-flag-wings-red.jpg

View attachment 1908[/QUOTE]
I have a half dozen or so cowboy hats of various brands in good felt, plus a couple of them in straw. A few ball caps, a couple of toques and a couple trappers hats for winter. Hats are like footwear, change em out everyday to keep em dry.

What brought up this subject was hubby seldom wears his hats or good clothing. He was sitting out on porch freezing and I ask him where are all those hats you just had to have. Keeping your head warm is vital to staying warm,imo. He doesn't like ball caps says it makes his hair fall out. But when we go places he wears his hats which is seldom lately. Way I see it is why keep em in such good condition for whoever outlives you.

I don't wear hats unless it's cold or I need protection from the sun or I'm shooting.
I wear a sock hat when it's cold and a ball cap other times.

He does wear a straw hat when working outside. He is now wearing one of his 'good hats' a wool fedora type because it is so cold outside.

I don't wear hats either unless I need protection (helmet), am wearing my dress uniform or it's below -20 or so. But if I did have a favorite hat, it would be this one:

View attachment 1908

LOL, well that won't keep your head very warm. I wear a hat when it is cold or when in the sun. Now hubby is wearing his too since I reminded him we don't live forever.

Last edited:
I wear a ball cap while shooting and a warm hat when it is cold. I do have one ball cap that is supposed to look cute with the clothes that it matches with, but I haven't worn it out since the day I bought it, at least that I can remember.

I wear a ball cap while shooting and a warm hat when it is cold. I do have one ball cap that is supposed to look cute with the clothes that it matches with, but I haven't worn it out since the day I bought it, at least that I can remember.

He wears a ball cap when shooting too. And now hopefully he will wear his hats to keep warm too. We lose alot of heat through our head in cold weather. Head and feet are important to keep warm,imo.

Last edited:
Wear western type straw hat when hiking or out in the brush. I don't need hats to keep head warm, don't go where it is that cold. Sun shade only need for hat. No hats for long gun shooting, glasses and ear protection (muffs and plugs) to save what little sight and hearing I have left.

Well, it's about -10° here right now with nasty winds. You wear a knit hat or your ears fall off within 10 minutes. Eye brows about 4 minutes later.

I don't normally wear hats but will do a warm hat in these temps and a baseball cap in the summer if I need eye protection from the sun.

I have several Stetson's and such but they're too formal for my normal daily usage.

Well, it's about -10° here right now with nasty winds. You wear a knit hat or your ears fall off within 10 minutes. Eye brows about 4 minutes later.
I was wishing I knew where my balaclavas were as my face started to get painfully cold getting to my car from Walmart. And we aren't into the negative temperatures here yet.

View attachment 1908
I would wear one of those but I don't want to deal with the idiots

Another thing.
When did it become OK to wear a hat inside?

Wear western type straw hat when hiking or out in the brush. I don't need hats to keep head warm, don't go where it is that cold. Sun shade only need for hat. No hats for long gun shooting, glasses and ear protection (muffs and plugs) to save what little sight and hearing I have left.

LOL, we don't go where it is cold either TMT, but cold came to us this past few weeks off and on that is. We have never smoked in the house so we go out on porch and it is 25 F and wind blowing puts it into teens. That is hat time! Or at least hoody. Sure cuts don on smoking though.

I don't normally wear hats but will do a warm hat in these temps and a baseball cap in the summer if I need eye protection from the sun.

I have several Stetson's and such but they're too formal for my normal daily usage.

:LOL:. some can be worn casual or formal, thing is at my and hubbys age why save them?:dunno:. Hubby says, ' why you want to put us in the grave so soon':huh:. I tell him I don't thats why he should wear his warm clothing instead of rat packing it away for someone else once we are gone. :D

I was wishing I knew where my balaclavas were as my face started to get painfully cold getting to my car from Walmart. And we aren't into the negative temperatures here yet.

Here in Florida you can't adjust to the change so it affects you fast and hard.:)

I would wear one of those but I don't want to deal with the idiots

Another thing.
When did it become OK to wear a hat inside?

:D yes that is like looking for trouble from them. When America lost it culture and manners. :(

Summertime it is the baseball cap. I'm getting ready to deal with the snow on the drive, I'll be wearing my beaver hat with the flaps that pull over the ears and wrap around under the chin. My wife's fur hat is red fox. These hats were made by an Eskimo lady that was a customer of mine and were traded for parts and labor on her boiler over the years.

LOL, we don't go where it is cold either TMT, but cold came to us this past few weeks off and on that is. We have never smoked in the house so we go out on porch and it is 25 F and wind blowing puts it into teens. That is hat time! Or at least hoody. Sure cuts don on smoking though.

Been there and done that. I used to live in Oregon and I smoked outside. I am just an occasional smoker (when long distance traveling). Yes the cold will slow down the smoking or you get a heater to keep you warm, like I did. I quit the daily smoking to divert the money to more productive items.

Been there and done that. I used to live in Oregon and I smoked outside. I am just an occasional smoker (when long distance traveling). Yes the cold will slow down the smoking or you get a heater to keep you warm, like I did. I quit the daily smoking to divert the money to more productive items.

We have slowed back a whole lot. And hope to quit. Quiting is easy we have done that 1000 times,staying quit is not.

Summertime it is the baseball cap. I'm getting ready to deal with the snow on the drive, I'll be wearing my beaver hat with the flaps that pull over the ears and wrap around under the chin. My wife's fur hat is red fox. These hats were made by an Eskimo lady that was a customer of mine and were traded for parts and labor on her boiler over the years.

Now that is what I call warm hats.:thumbs up:

If I'm not in the house.. Ill be wearing the white hat , with the 3rd armored Calvary Patch , that I brought home from Nam.

If I'm out of the house and working, shooting, I'm wearin a cheap westernhat,

View attachment 1912 View attachment 1912View attachment 1913 View attachment 1914 View attachment 1915

Jim

Love it Jim, a special place in my heart for you guys in that war. Not that all don't deserve the same honors but I really saw alot of you including family coming back at the VA Hospital.

Thank you.

Back