Where are "YOU" going to "HIDE"........Seriously....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Where are "YOU" going to "HIDE"........Seriously....???

One of the most neglected parts of serious prepping, is where to hide. I think if you questioned a large number of those who feel that are serious about being prepared, most plan to make their stand at their personal residence. But throughout history that was the least safe place.

Even if your sure your home is safe, it is worth reflecting on where you could hide when you discovered it was not all that safe. This is "Different" then reflecting on a "Bug'Out" location. It is actually not very hard to come up with dozens of places to hide.

But best to do it now, as opposed to when it is urgent live or death to find a place to hide. The book, "Without Rule of Law" by Joe Nobody has a great section devoted to this subject.

There are massively more places to hide in urban and suburban then exist rural or remote areas. You simply have to "Notice" them. This is "Not" about escaping to some distant spot. It is about hiding......it is not a living environment. Example: If someone lived in a 57 story apartment building. And for some reason needed a place to hide.......maybe the furnace room or janitors room in the basement, maybe on the roof, maybe the elevator service room.

Road culverts or small bridges. You just have to start looking now, not when running out your door on foot and urgently looking for a place to hide. Hide where they will not GO. Thorn bushes, tree tops. Maybe behind a dumpster in an alley.........maybe in the dumpster. The idea is to have given this consideration at the same level as escape routes out of a suburban area.

I almost (and should have) purchased a home that had several secret tunnels, rooms, and underground tunnel to the out buildings. The garage was attached, but with no direct ground level entry to the house. Yet, you could slid a hidden panel in back of the second floor bedroom closets, and walk directly into the attic of the garage.

For hundreds of years churches were built with so many hidden tunnels and hidden rooms, that they are still discovering hidden areas. Some had tunnels to other churches. This is actually fun. If you start constantly noticing, "Oh-Look I could hide there if I needed to". And look I could also hide there and there and there.

Remember playing "Hide and Seek".....?

Revealing details is just a bad idea security wise.

But we do have plans in place that included purchasing the property that controls access to our hill and gives us nice killing zone that I hope we never need.

Quoting myself

"Sooner or later we have to deal with that pile of rotting corpses."

Ben

"Sooner or later we have to deal with that pile of rotting corpses."
Ben

That is why God keeps so many Grizzly Bears living in my yard.

Where are "YOU" going to "HIDE"........Seriously....???...
Even if your sure your home is safe, it is worth reflecting on where you could hide when you discovered it was not all that safe. This is "Different" then reflecting on a "Bug'Out" location. It is actually not very hard to come up with dozens of places to hide.
This begs the question: Hide from what?
The answer is different for different things. Some circumstances we face, bugging out could be a fatal mistake.

1. Tornado. Being sucked up in it while you are cramming stuff into a car, silly.
2. Nuclear fallout. So, you seen any fallout-shelter signs lately? The place you bug-out to may have 10-times more radioactivity than your home. I have my own detection gear and supplies here for 2 weeks.
3. Armed civil uprising. I want to be right here with all my guns and ammo, not a vulnerable target on the highway. I stand a good chance here.
4. Hurricane force winds. When Laura went thru, relatives bugged out from Texas to Lake Charles LA.
BIG Mistake! Their home was untouched and they were trapped in a place with no running water or power for over a week, and no way to escape.
Don't get me wrong, if it is cat-4 or higher and headed our way, we are OUTTA HERE!
5. Flooding. If it is going to be 100% bad, see above.

Did I leave any out?
I need to 'hide' from what else?

That is why God keeps so many Grizzly Bears living in my yard.
Great point!

They have to play havoc on your apple trees.

But now I have to plan for black bears.

Forgive me if I posted this previously...

"What does not kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you."

Ben

When I first moved to the middle of nowhere Alaska, I thought I was well hidden. With every bush pilot that flys overhead, there is no hiding from the air, at least not if you are farming the area as well. With advances of satellite imaging, even my once secret trails are visible if you know where to look. Part of my strategy is present myself and my spread as modest to reduce second looks, but I’m not hidden.

One useful item to learn is counter tracking techniques. While you may not be able to hide forever, no reason to make it easy on them.

This begs the question: Hide from what?
The answer is different for different things. Some circumstances we face, bugging out could be a fatal mistake.

Did I leave any out?
I need to 'hide' from what else?

How about Bozo knocking on your door to confiscate your guns?

4" PVC pipe with caps on both ends can be used. (to bury weapons) weapons that don't have a paper trail.

Just sharing ideas

Ben

Last edited:
"What does not kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you."

Yes.......A Grizzly Bear Killed my neighbor in our backyard about six weeks ago.

Personally, I feel I am stuck. Most of the wife's medical supplies are here and I don't have a vehicle large enough to move my stocks. So, my primary action plan is to dig-in, go-dark, and be quiet.... I have sufficient battery power to cover a night or two, I have ways to recharge them quietly, and I even have peddle power transportation for those quiet rides to gather resources.... One of the big tells that I don't have an answer for is smoke.

The COVID-19 has taught us that most people can dig in for a month or so, but after that it gets dicy....

I think that the big wild card would be to go dark in the dead of winter. If transport into the cities and the services went down, now that would be kicking it up a notch.

As for firearms, who needs firearms? A black powder pistol is not a firearm, a muzzleloader is not a firearm, and a bow is not a firearm. But in the 1860s all of them could snuff your lights out.

Personally, I feel I am stuck. Most of the wife's medical supplies are here and I don't have a vehicle large enough to move my stocks. So, my pr.. ..

I think that the big wild card would be to go dark in the dead of winter. If transport into the cities and the services went down, now that would be kicking it up a notch.

My worst case scenario is rioters take down the grid just before winter. I would have to feed my tribe for possibly 18 months before the next harvest comes in.

Multiply that number by your tribe size...not trivial.

Ben

How about Bozo knocking on your door to confiscate your guns?

4" PVC pipe with caps on both ends can be used weapons that without a paper trail.

Just sharing ideas

Ben
They can knock all they want.
But when they kick it open, the worst that will happen is; I will not die alone.
...and I won't have arthritic joint pain anymore!:green man:
Not going to 'hide'.
NoDeal.gif

Needing place to hide could occur at any place at any time. At work, on the drive home, walking from shop to shop, going to the doctors office.

Pretty much anywhere you are you could need a urgent place to hide, there could be random gunfire blasts a block away, or incoming artillery. Been times in my life I was needing to hide from "Process Servers" or Game Warden, or narrow-minded jealous boyfriends.

There are many reason to be aware of places to hide, that have zero to do with SHTF.

. Been times in my life I was needing to hide from "Process Servers" or Game Warden, or narrow-minded jealous boyfriends.

There are many reason to be aware of places to hide, that have zero to do with SHTF.
I misunderstood. Sorry.

Needing place to hide could occur at any place at any time. At work, on the drive home, walking from shop to shop, going to the doctors office.

Pretty much anywhere you are you could need a urgent place to hide, there could be random gunfire blasts a block away, or incoming artillery. Been times in my life I was needing to hide from "Process Servers" or Game Warden, or narrow-minded jealous boyfriends.

I agree.

But being in a densely populated area limits our options and reminds me of the battle of Stalingrad or the tunnel rats of Vietnam.

No Sir I will leave that for Mad Max and lurk in the shadows trying to improve the situation however I can. Doing so in a highly populated area strikes me as being an exercise in futility.

Ben

I agree.

But being in a densely populated area limits our options and reminds me of the battle of Stalingrad or the tunnel rats of Vietnam.

No Sir I will leave that for Mad Max and lurk in the shadows trying to improve the situation however I can. Doing so in a highly populated area strikes me as being an exercise in futility.

Ben
I was told by a homeless man that there are tunnels in places that have been hand dug, under city streets and other places. He told me about a river where there are dug outs in the sides that have been reinforced and have locking front doors. I wonder about when there is flooding.

There are probably a few well reinforced underground tunnels and hidey holes that we may likely never know about.

I was told by a homeless man that there are tunnels in places that have been hand dug, under city streets and other places. He told me about a river where there are dug outs in the sides that have been reinforced and have locking front doors. I wonder about when there is flooding.

There are probably a few well reinforced underground tunnels and hidey holes that we may likely never know about.
True one can survive there but can one THRIVE there.

The cities require support from the rural and suburbs. If the rural system fails, the urban system....

Ben

Sorry I lost the link. They found a guy that had successfully hidden for years with hideouts less than a couple hundred meters from residences. He got what he needed from local residences. He walked on rocks so as to leave no trail. His homes were well hidden and he knew how to get around without being seen.

One good thing about your own property is that you can figure out the best places for an ambush or a bolt hole.

True
The Princess went through training to address a threat at work. They said this and that and ended with and if all else fails, follow June (The Princess). She has been around long enough to know the tunnels.

Ben

Sorry I lost the link. They found a guy that had successfully hidden for years with hideouts less than a couple hundred meters from residences. He got what he needed from local residences. He walked on rocks so as to leave no trail. His homes were well hidden and he knew how to get around without being seen.

One good thing about your own property is that you can figure out the best places for an ambush or a bolt hole.
Again a goal to ascribe to.
Ben

True
The Princess went through training to address a threat at work. They said this and that and ended with and if all else fails, follow June (The Princess). She has been around long enough to know the tunnels.

Ben
I generally have at least 3 ways to get to a safe zone.... At work I have maps and gear to hoof it out if need be... I have had the miss fortune to be stranded from time to time as a result of unexpected things, such as an earth quake, that stopped transportation. At home in my man cave area, I have a wall that has a topo map floor to ceiling. My house is in the center of my map and the outer edge is my office, also on my map are most of my hunting places with pins for sightings and harvests. From time to time I have done what if's to figure out the different ways I could get home without excessive exposure. I do maintain strategically placed go bags in my office and each of my vehicles that would cover my needs for a couple of days if need be....

There have been a couple cases similar to this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...built-life-underground-bunker-hampstead-heath

I am in the same boat as Urban Hunter. We are too dependent on maintenance medication and serious medical aid and attention. We are close to a hospital, so we will try to be the gray man. We can pretend to be in the same predicament as everybody else, and keep a very low profile. I guess hiding in place will be plan A.

When I first moved to the middle of nowhere Alaska, I thought I was well hidden. With every bush pilot that flys overhead, there is no hiding from the air, at least not if you are farming the area as well. ...

Yep, hiding from the air is challenging.

I live in a woods. Clearing for the house (and house) stands out from satellite mapping. But you see, I'm smart (or so I thought) because the trees around my shop were not cleared and the shop roof is green to blend in with the trees leaves...except in the fall/winter. Then there is the 80 foot tower erected in the woods, hidden from view...except from satellite where the antennas stand out like a sore thumb. Since satellite mapping can see me I can safely assume the overflights from the small airport 10 miles south of me can to.

... so we will try to be the gray man. We can pretend to be in the same predicament as everybody else, and keep a very low profile. I guess hiding in place will be plan A.

Your Plan "A" is my plan also. Two family members 85 years old plus to care for plus a few more family members that would be a liability, dictates my location will be a restocking point for the younger family members that will be moving on.

Yep, hiding from the air is challenging.

I live in a woods. Clearing for the house (and house) stands out from satellite mapping. But you see, I'm smart (or so I thought) because the trees around my shop were not cleared and the shop roof is green to blend in with the trees leaves...except in the fall/winter. Then there is the 80 foot tower erected in the woods, hidden from view...except from satellite where the antennas stand out like a sore thumb. Since satellite mapping can see me I can safely assume the overflights from the small airport 10 miles south of me can to.
Isn't this the kind of situation where some tunnels could help a person move around undetected or undetected from most? Technology can see heat at a certain depth, but the naked eye could not. Yes, LOTS of work, and where would a person put all that dirt? A person with equipment for digging and good knowledge of construction could do this. I read about a couple who dug out what had previously been a crawl space, using buckets and a trailer they kept in the garage for food storage. Neighbors had no idea what was going on. They tarped the trailer and took it out to dump when it was full.

Back