Where are "YOU" going to "HIDE"........Seriously....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sheet of glass will stop IR imaging. A set of blackout curtains will hide anything behind the glass. A few good cameras can point out where a threat is coming from and a well placed shot, trap, or improvised mine can all put a stop to it.
If you are going to hide you have to stay hidden when you move, and you will have to move. I would rather face it with a plan than hide as a plan.

I would rather face it with a plan than hide as a plan.

The point is "YES" you have a plan, and "yet" sometimes you urgently need a place to hide......maybe only two minutes, maybe ten minutes, maybe a few hours. Think more along you are walking the dog, and gunfire erupts so near you hear the bullets like bees. Suddenly you have two choices, run to the gunfight and hope you joined to correct team with a mega-second to choose. Or find a quick place to get out of sight, hopefully bulletproof.

This is not about long range planning for survival, this is about constant awareness of place to hide. I am a longtime Alaska (so'called) Bush'pilot. And when you pilot in Alaska you are constantly looking for......."If the engine quit I could land there or over there. Yes it would be one more semi-controlled crash. The point is that pilots of small aircraft are constantly looking for where to crash.

Hiding is a lot like that. if all day a person is both exercising situational awareness...... they can also at the same time be noticing places to hide, or duck out of danger.

That is why God keeps so many Grizzly Bears living in my yard.
Same reason we have so many cougar around, it wouldn't surprise me if sometime while scouting around the edges of our property I might just find a pile of human bones.

Cougars don't scare me. As long as they have a place to run they won't fight a full grown human. A bicyclist in Washington a few years ago was jumped by a cougar while riding and ended up killing the cougar with his pocket knife while the cat was trying to kill him. They are not well equipped to kill people - other than small children. They normally suffocate their pray by clamping their mouth on the throat. They don't have a way to get past our jaws and we can reach them when they try.
Bears can be very dangerous although black bears (the only bears in my area) can often be faced down with noise and by "looking bigger" than life. To be safe I carry a gun. I have successfully faced down two black bears. A sow that we got between her and her cub and a boar that was more interested in catching up with a sow in heat. In each case they stopped to see if there was to be a confrontation and chose to go around. Even predators are mindful of being injured. We have bears and cougar that come by our place occasionally but they know there is nothing here for them.

Back on topic, a rope between two trees that is out of reach is a good place to put your food to keep it away from predators in most places but I have only used it for overnight storage and never intended it for long term storage. I also don't have to deal with big bears... ;)

I confronted a young cougar many years ago and it ran up a steep rock slide, on the other hand I have seen an extremely large cougar, back in the 80's a couple of miles past our place and had a friend see a very large cat in that same area, just a few months back, either one of those cats probably would not run away, they didn't get that big by being timid about what they ate.

A bicyclist in Washington a few years ago was jumped by a cougar while riding and ended up killing the cougar with his pocket knife while the cat was trying to kill him.

I could be wrong.........But I think that cougar killed the bicyclist, and was kill by his friend with a knife, while the cat was killing his friend.

That event triggered me to purchase a large and stout folding knife. The one I got meets what i was wanting to find. (RUGER "GO-N-HEAVY")

Last edited:
No, the bicyclist killed the cat suffering only non-life threatening injuries and was treated and released from the hospital.
There was an incident with a 3 or 4 year old that was killed by a cat but that was a different animal and a different incident.

No, the bicyclist killed the cat suffering only non-life threatening injuries and was treated and released from the hospital.

Thanks........Yikes, that now makes twice in the last 74 years, that I was "WRONG".

Sourdough, I have a thing I say often as I make bread... Sourdough is NEVER wrong! (your record is better than mine)

Supervisor, Just lay back and enjoy it, those cougars won't hurt you much. ;)

here is the story that Caribou was referring to.
https://www.supersummary.com/the-st...did not come out again for twenty-seven years.

I have also wondered about hiding from cell phone tracking, not that I need to. There is a product called a faraday bag that if a phone is kept inside it cannot be tracked.
They like Faraday cages work on the theory that the electrical field inside a conductor is zero. Blocking the electromagnetic radiation from the phone will keep it from talking to cell towers. As a "poor man's Faraday cage, I buried a galvanized trash can in my yard to store my EMP emergency supplies. THings like a bunch of volt meters, inverters, charge controllers, etc.

Ben

So Ive been thinking about this thread, who are we hiding from? My clan has never really been that much on running off.

It is covered in about 37 places on this thread. But not everyone needs to hide. After all someone needs to stand around and absorb the bullets, so the rest of us have time to hide and return fire.

Last edited:
So Ive been thinking about this thread, who are we hiding from? My clan has never really been that much on running off.
Excellent question.

If we are looking at a STHTF scenario that hits the fuel supply line, there is a limit to how far we have to cast our gaze for possibly threats.

When I brought a co-worker to see my place he said "I would have thought there was anything up there if you had not shown me."

Hiding in hidden enclaves is a good start.

Ben

Excellent question.

If we are looking at a STHTF scenario that hits the fuel supply line, there is a limit to how far we have to cast our gaze for possibly threats.

When I brought a co-worker to see my place he said "I would have thought there was anything up there if you had not shown me."

Hiding in hidden enclaves is a good start.

Ben

Exactly everyone that comes to our place always says, we had no idea there would be a house back this far.

I guess i'll have to disagree with the idea that there are more hiding spaces in an urban situation. There maybe more rooms and alleys, culverts and such but there are a 100 times or maybe a 1000 times more folks in a square mile all trying to hide. You couldn't flip over a trash can without finding someone it would be like playing hide and seek in the house.

I guess i'll have to disagree with the idea that there are more hiding spaces in an urban situation. There maybe more rooms and alleys, culverts and such but there are a 100 times or maybe a 1000 times more folks in a square mile all trying to hide. You couldn't flip over a trash can without finding someone it would be like playing hide and seek in the house.
A basic law of solving mazes is the "left/right hand rule of following the wall. In a single plane it reveals nested mazes.

Lather rinse repeat

Ben

Mostly we've been talking about hiding from the bad guy by there has been a little consideration about hiding from fallout or a tornado.

A basic law of solving mazes is the "left/right hand rule of following the wall. In a single plane it reveals nested mazes.

Lather rinse repeat

Ben
You should use the right hand rule for following the wall.
The left-hand-thumb-rule is reserved for current, motion and magnetic flux lines in an electric motor.;)

Mostly we've been talking about hiding from the bad guy by there has been a little consideration about hiding from fallout or a tornado.
Those take work.
Do I have to show you options?

Ben

Those take work.
Do I have to show you options?

Ben
Absolutely!
Tornado and fallout shelters are actually about the same for most people.
The only difference is the amount of time you have to prep for to spend inside them.

Who are we hiding from is a really good question. I have always been a self-reliant type and the church I attend encourages the same... That being said, a long time ago there was a meeting discussing self-reliance and what to do in an emergency (Food shortage, kind of COVID thinking) and the husband of one of my wife's friends said, "I'm going over to Urban's house, I heard from my wife that he is well stocked for anything..." That day I laid down the law at my house, no one who is not a family member goes down the stairs.... The main floor was "sanitized" with a modest pantry, but nothing that would indicate there was anything more in the house...

So who are we hiding from? Well I don’t know about you, but I am hiding from those people who sit on their duffs and expect everyone else to meet their needs when times get tough. This may be neighbors, acquaintances, or strangers looking for easy access to resources that they want to or need. I may have sufficient resources set aside for my family but they would become quickly depleted if I set them on the front lawn.

I don’t mind helping others, but I think I would prefer to do it anonymously using a distribution point that was not connected to me. For example, I would not have a problem dropping off supplies at the side door to my church in the wee hours, and then letting the Pastor know that someone told me they were there for him to distribute.

When I was in college my family (married with 3 kids) would make food boxes for families that we knew were having trouble, we quietly placed them by their door mat, rang the bell and ran off into the night... We knew that we had done what we could without exposing ourselves or making the other family feel uncomfortable.

Last edited:
When I think of this subject, my mind goes back to high school when I read the Diary of Anne Frank. Even back in the day where slavery was the norm, there were tunnels and hiding places all over the place to protect some slaves. We don't have anything like that around here, but I always wanted something like that. There are some places on the property that would work very short term, but nothing temperature regulated. For tornadoes, we have a good place in the basement, but for anyone looking for us, they'd likely find us. Although, I'm not sure they'd want to.

Latest posts

Back