Where are "YOU" going to "HIDE"........Seriously....???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I unfortunately had to go into Anchorage this morning for an appointment. It's amazing all the people hiding in plane sight, such as those sleeping on the park bench or down the alleys. Most don't give them a second thought.

Cougars don't scare me. As long as they have a place to run they won't fight a full grown human. A bicyclist in Washington a few years ago was jumped by a cougar while riding and ended up killing the cougar with his pocket knife while the cat was trying to kill him. They are not well equipped to kill people - other than small children. They normally suffocate their pray by clamping their mouth on the throat. They don't have a way to get past our jaws and we can reach them when they try.
Bears can be very dangerous although black bears (the only bears in my area) can often be faced down with noise and by "looking bigger" than life. To be safe I carry a gun. I have successfully faced down two black bears. A sow that we got between her and her cub and a boar that was more interested in catching up with a sow in heat. In each case they stopped to see if there was to be a confrontation and chose to go around. Even predators are mindful of being injured. We have bears and cougar that come by our place occasionally but they know there is nothing here for them.

Back on topic, a rope between two trees that is out of reach is a good place to put your food to keep it away from predators in most places but I have only used it for overnight storage and never intended it for long term storage. I also don't have to deal with big bears... ;)
This is a book about cougar attacks in Colorado, on humans and animals. https://www.amazon.com/Beast-Garden-Predators-Suburban-America/dp/0393326349

Hiding. A rental storage unit could be a good place. Normal storage items in front, middle is SHTF restocking items with hammock/cot in the back, composting toilet in a back corner.
Even a garage can be set up like this. Most of us want a neat and tidy garage, like the rest of our home, but if someone were to break in and think they would go after things of value, and then see a mess, or stacks of boxes and stuff, they will move on.

If one has an extensive caching program........they are in a continual search for places to hide their supplies and themselves.

and then see a mess, or stacks of boxes and stuff, they will move on.

Or "Super'poop" their underwear if you make a deep terrifying growling sound. As you push the boxes and mess toward them.

Last edited:
When I think of this subject, my mind goes back to high school when I read the Diary of Anne Frank. Even back in the day where slavery was the norm, there were tunnels and hiding places all over the place to protect some slaves. We don't have anything like that around here, but I always wanted something like that. There are some places on the property that would work very short term, but nothing temperature regulated. For tornadoes, we have a good place in the basement, but for anyone looking for us, they'd likely find us. Although, I'm not sure they'd want to.
The two colleges I went to had tunnels from the dorms to the cafeteria. If it was raining or snowing or other challenges, we could go through the tunnels. The tunnels were also labeled as Civil Defense shelters and I remember there being boxes of supplies there.

For a while, my dad was a hydro-electric control room operator. We lived way out in the middle of no where just below the dam. I remember visiting him at work in the summer and walking on the catwalk between the collection tubes. I noticed a big door with civil defense labeling. I was amazed at the stacks of boxes and barrels of stuff set aside for emergency use. I bet you could have fed all the families that worked at the dam for 6 months off those rations... It actually made me feel kind of safe ;)

Hiding and waiting to be found is a dangerous thing to do. You need to be able to move, to be fluid, in order to stop the threat.
Being proactive is the best tactic. Sometimes you have to retreat, conceal yourself, or move laterally but never hide.
Being seen is not the same as being a target. Concealment is a tactic whereby you choose the time of engagement. Hiding allows those looking for you to choose when and how you are engaged.

I bet you could have fed all the families that worked at the dam for 6 months off those rations... It actually made me feel kind of safe
Plus..........no water shortage to worry about....... dancing chicken

If your a pilot and know where to look The FAA has survival food, sleeping bags, shelter cached in the mountains all over. Was always fun to throttle back to 36 mph and check things out while flying over the locations.

All the Civil Defense shelters have been cleaned out. All the food, water, waste and medical provisions were surplussed out long ago. I got some of those supplies when I lived in Seattle. That was back in the 80's. The food stores were horrible but the sanitation supplies were still usable. The medical supplies were destroyed for the most part although I did get some IV bags, tubes and needles all in sterile packs. The FEMA organization doesn't stock supplies so in the event that camps are used they will have to stock them from available sources. The only fallout shelters are all private now too so there is none for public use.

All the Civil Defense shelters have been cleaned out. All the food, water, waste and medical provisions were surplussed out long ago. I got some of those supplies when I lived in Seattle. That was back in the 80's. The food stores were horrible but the sanitation supplies were still usable. The medical supplies were destroyed for the most part although I did get some IV bags, tubes and needles all in sterile packs. The FEMA organization doesn't stock supplies so in the event that camps are used they will have to stock them from available sources. The only fallout shelters are all private now too so there is none for public use.

That sounds about right. The dam where my dad worked was automated about 1980, the dozen or so families that worked there were all released from service, all the houses were removed and the lots graded.... nothing left but roads to no where. You don't need Civil Defense Shelters if you don't have people...

It is too bad that they don't have a central clearing house to provide hospitals and such, it could provide a buffer if everything was moving through a single network of supply centers using a First In First Out management system to keep everything relatively fresh.

When I think of Hide, I think of remaining hidden, but still being able to move about undetected, hidden entry/exit points, pathways that don't provide a trail of breadcrumbs for people to follow back to your hide. Being able passively gather and filter water, to garden unobserved from the street, being able to hunt without being seen or heard are all part of what I would call hiding.

IMHO option the best way to "hide" is to blend in with the general population.
Agreed "Hiding in plain sight" is my approach. My gardens help with that to explain why ( quoting from a character on Doomsday Preppers) "durring a time when food is in short supply, I want to be the person that can still stand to lose a few pounds."

Ben

Back