Where do you order your checks?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This whole process drives me nuts! I keep my notes for every other year when I have to order more checks. I keep track of where I ordered and what surprise fees I ran into upon ordering. I have yet to find a source that didn't tack on extra fees at the end of the order process AFTER I have already entered in my account information.:mad: Finally after wasting at least an hour trying to figure out where to get checks this year, I just gave up. I looked online for reviews and happy customers but haven't really found anything solid.

I have ordered from checks unlimited in the past and they offer a great deal for first time buyers, but after that not so much. I'm still inclined to order thru them b/c they already have my information.

I looked at walmartchecks.com and I really should have known better. Apparently I have tried there before and was not happy with the result. They tack on a "processing fee" at the end of the order that is never disclosed and the "free" shipping is without tracking. For $6.25, I'd rather include the order tracking feature, especially for checks. So, the shipping is not really free if you want secure shipping. The undisclosed processing fee was around $13 if you opted for free shipping and around $10 if you opted for the tracked shipping.

I was going to try Carosel checks but I read a review that also mentions that they add on a processing fee at the end of the order too.

So, after wasting my time and getting nothing accomplished, I thought I'd check with you folks to see if anyone out there can offer any better suggestions on alternatives........before I have to bite the bullet and order from one of these dishonest check vendors.:confused:

P.S. I'm not a Costco or Sams Club member, so both of those options are out.

When we buy checks we get them from ChecksUnlimited. Buy 1 box get one free, buy 2 boxes get two free and a $2 discount.
Those offers are non-stop in the E-mails and I never had "surprise" fees tacked on. It has been at least two years since I last ordered but when I saw what my own bank wanted for checks I looked elsewhere.
I don't have a problem with a business making a profit but they are making money on loans based on my savings and that should be enough. I get security checks from ChecksUnlimited and it costs no more than a standard check. (unless they just put fewer checks in the box) When will I order again? Well, I am only half way through the first of two boxes after 2+ years???

My credit union allows us to get one book for free. Not sure if that's per year or quarter, though. Last time I remember writing a check was 4 years ago to cover my sister-in-law's security deposit for the place she was renting (she transferred funds to our account FIRST. I'm generous, but not foolish) before she moved out here.

I use checks so rarely, if I needed one, I'd probably just get a counter check printed at the branch.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I know not many people use checks much these days, but I still do. I don't like having my account(s) information online, so checks it is. My kids think I'm a relic.....they're probably right. Heck, I sometimes use a paper and pencil to figure out math problems instead of getting up to go get a calculator.:confused: Besides, I bought a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of forever stamps in 2007 before the price went up. So, the postage has already been paid for.:p

When we buy checks we get them from ChecksUnlimited. Buy 1 box get one free, buy 2 boxes get two free and a $2 discount.
Those offers are non-stop in the E-mails and I never had "surprise" fees tacked on. It has been at least two years since I last ordered but when I saw what my own bank wanted for checks I looked elsewhere.
I don't have a problem with a business making a profit but they are making money on loans based on my savings and that should be enough. I get security checks from ChecksUnlimited and it costs no more than a standard check. (unless they just put fewer checks in the box) When will I order again? Well, I am only half way through the first of two boxes after 2+ years???

I do like how checks unlimited is more transparent in their pricing. I just wish they'd treat their repeat customers a little better. I got the coupon code for the deal you quoted above and they were still more expensive than WM.:oops: I too only order every few years, which explains why I was a bit surprised at the price hike. It's almost double what I paid the last time I ordered. Ha, I just looked, and my last order was in October of 2014.....so I guess I shouldn't be too shocked at the price.

The banks/CU's here gouge on check pricing. It's been a long time since I checked with their prices, but the last time they were waaaaaayyyyy higher than ordering online.

The bank. I still use checks. Or cash.
Good to hear I'm not alone. I don't write nearly as many as I used to, but still pay taxes, utilities, CC bills, etc. with a check. It's only a handful per month, so it's pretty easy to balance the checkbook every month. Online orders are paid by CC and everything else (including face to face transactions such as brick and morter stores) is cash.

Current. They also do address labels etc. It's been a while since I've ordered, but more reasonable than bank. I would just call and ask any questions, then order by phone the first time. Get the reps. name and document quoted price for good measure.

Latest posts

Back