Where "NOT" to be in event of CME "Superstorm" (a map)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

MAPPING A MAGNETIC SUPERSTORM: Researchers have mapped the best and worst places in the USA to be during a severe geomagnetic storm. For residents of some big cities, the news is not good.

"Resistive structures in the crust and mantle of the Earth make cities along the east coast of the USA especially vulnerable to geomagnetic storms," says Jeffrey Love of the US Geological Survey (USGS), who led the study. "Hazards are greatest for power systems serving Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, DC, – a megalopolis of over 50 million people."

Any city of over 50K is a bad place to be. That's why I like montana with only 1.3 million people in a area the size of west germany.

Will a geomagnetic storm cause my wood stove not to work? Just a little satire.
Only if it create an air inversion that causes your chimney not to naturally. draw air, that can happen, however I don't know if a geomagnetic storm would cause that to come about.

Back