Where's the beef?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rural western Canada the other side of the mountai
Just had a thought slide through my pea brain. Our provincial government has jumped on the band wagon and closed the usual culprits. They have restricted crowds to under fifty.

So....how do we market our beef, pork and mutton? No one can show up at the auction to buy them. The geniuses also closed the farmer markets, yet grocers remain open.

The meat lockers around here (which are owned by or who partner with local beef producers) are still open, you just have to call in your orders and have it delivered or back up your vehicle and let them load it up. That's where my 1/4 of beef is right now getting butchered.

We also have a "meat market" that sells nothing but meats from local producers (turkeys, chickens, pork, beef, sausages, jerky, etc.). They are open too.

They spent the last ten years putting the small local abbatoirs out of business and there are very few left. Those that are, have very limited capacity and the meat cannot be sold out iof province. They closed the only federal meat packing plant this side of Canada last fall.

My point was that without the auction houses, even the federal plants else where, won't be able to buy meat on the hoof, effectively shutting down the farmers and the Canadian meat supply chain. They are either that stupid or there is something very nefarious afoot.

With no meat going to auction and no farmers markets allowed to open, they are shutting down the small farmers taking away options and gaining even more control over food for the masses.

Last edited:
… … My point was that without the auction houses, even the federal plants else where, won't be able to buy meat on the hoof, effectively shutting down the farmers and the Canadian meat supply chain. They are either that stupid or there is something very nefarious afoot. … ...

I'm feeling a bit cynical these days so it's probably both. Many of our elected officials are living down to the stereotype of opportunistic scumbag politicians and that isn't confined to a particular party. Thankfully, there have been others who have surprised me by showing a dedication I didn't expect.

My point was that without the auction houses, even the federal plants else where, won't be able to buy meat on the hoof, effectively shutting down the farmers and the Canadian meat supply chain. They are either that stupid or there is something very nefarious afoot.

90% of all government regulation does nothing more than add pointless bureaucracy and controls over a system that was not broken or in need of regulation in the first place.

If it please the Crown may I please sell the animal I have raised to provide meat without fear of the constabulary?

They spent the last ten years putting the small local abbatoirs out of business and there are very few left. Those that are, have very limited capacity and the meat cannot be sold out iof province. They closed the only federal meat packing plant this side of Canada last fall.

With no meat going to auction and no farmers markets allowed to open, they are shutting down the small farmers taking away options and gaining even more control over food for the masses.

Clem they have been in control of our food for decades maybe even longer. Guess just have to grow and raise our own here and there in Canada. Of course they don't likethat ,coming down on organic farmers.Seeds don't grow like they use to either.

I've also noticed that most meat doesn't taste like it use to or have the same texture, it is dryer now.

Latest posts

Back