Which breed of dog

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim while the dogs will get the exercise they need they also need to do so with the lead dog so they bond.
If they are running on their own they will be more wild than domestic and you won't have much authority in their minds.
You need to get a dog that matches your mobility and activity level. The dog needs an alpha as much as they need exercise.

There are "select a dog" match quiz. I found a good one today but can't remember the name of it. They ask a series of questions then determine which breed best suits you.

I'm checking all the county shelters...90% Pit Bulls.

I don't like pit bulls, don't trust them. Seen too many go bad.

Jim

I do get how you feel, however the best dog I’ve ever had was/is a Pit. I agree, you shouldn’t get one from a rescue. You really don’t know where it’s been or how it’s been raised. You’ve got to be geared for that. We’ve rescued a few seniors over the years. After the life they’d had we wanted to give them a real home before they said goodbye.
All that said, if you raise one from a pup like any other family dog, then that’s what you’ll have... a good family dog. Still, they’ve got a ton of energy and need lots of exercise.
I know it won’t be a Pit, but you’ll find what’s right for you bud!

I do get how you feel, however the best dog I’ve ever had was/is a Pit. I agree, you shouldn’t get one from a rescue. You really don’t know where it’s been or how it’s been raised. You’ve got to be geared for that. We’ve rescued a few seniors over the years. After the life they’d had we wanted to give them a real home before they said goodbye.
All that said, if you raise one from a pup like any other family dog, then that’s what you’ll have... a good family dog. Still, they’ve got a ton of energy and need lots of exercise.
I know it won’t be a Pit, but you’ll find what’s right for you bud!

In all animals there are superior ones for temperament and other traits. One of the dogs I care for is part pit and a darling. I have seen others who were not, but there were many things I didn't know about them.

My two Norwegian Elkhounds loved to pull sleds in the snow - and chase mice under it. They also caught birds in the air, cleaned the raccoons out of the area and took care of stray cats on the property.
They need a lot of exercise and loved the water.

I had a Norwegian Elkhound that was a great dog. He was a stray roaming the neighborhood that we rescued. Our Vet thought he was probably a stud dog in a puppy mill. I adored that dog. Only down side was how much he shed. I would brush him weekly, and get bags of hair. Didn't seem to make any difference. We still had to vacuum every day. I would still get another one.

Will an active dog, Aussie, get all the exercise they need just free running on the farm.
Chasing birds , rabbits, other critters.
I can't get out and play and walk and run with them.

I had an Aussie, and that guy never set still. Even when I was just sitting around .
They are hyper.

Some dogs like hounds need to be motivated to exercise I'm sure

Jim

Any herding dog is going to have A LOT of energy. The more mature they get obviously the more they settle down though. Aussies included. Maybe a cross bred is more what would work for you? Our Aussie, heeler cross was much more mellow and level headed. Less herding drive. He didn’t keep up with our full heelers. Great guard dog but was happy to sit on the porch and hangout.

I had a Norwegian Elkhound that was a great dog. He was a stray roaming the neighborhood that we rescued. Our Vet thought he was probably a stud dog in a puppy mill. I adored that dog. Only down side was how much he shed. I would brush him weekly, and get bags of hair. Didn't seem to make any difference. We still had to vacuum every day. I would still get another one.

Someone broke in and stole my dog. Broke my heart.

Back