Which liquors are best to stockpile for preparedness?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least keep it locked up when your cousin is around. If he drank a bottle of Everclear the night of his HS graduation he is lucky to be alive. Stash it in the back of the pantry with other cooking and baking supplies. No one will know it is there.
I know stories about teens who did drink Everclear and died.

In my family, any and all alcohol is dangerous, no matter what type it is. On just my mother's side, between uncles, first cousins and spouses, there are more than a dozen alcoholics, a few in recovery. On my dad's side, the count is about the same for aunts and uncles, first cousins and spouses. When we go a little further out in relationships, the count greatly increases.

Cousin lost a brother to alcoholism at the age of 55. Brother had a very serious problem with alcohol. His parents bought him a small house because of his inability to stay sober and hold a job. He destroyed the house due to his drunken behavior, and it had to be demolished. There were many efforts made to get him sober. Cousin has another brother who is a recovering alcoholic. They lost another brother to MD when they were much younger and before they realized the damage alcohol was doing in the family. According to another cousin, there was a lot of alcohol at that brother's funeral reception. Three brothers in one family greatly affected by alcohol is a lot. The two surviving recovering alcoholics take their recovery very seriously. They attend meetings, mentor others, and continue to study and grow in their recovery. The older one, in his late 60's, has been active in AA for more than 30 years. They have one brother who hasn't struggled with alcoholism. The 4 girls in the family have not been challenged by alcohol, as is mostly true in my family.

I have rum that I bought in Puerto Rico more than a decade ago. Bottles have never been opened.

........but what I have learned is that unless it is locked up and unknown to others, it will disappear.
It's funny you should mention the stuff you got in PR. We have a bottle of Barcelo' that we received as a gift. We have no idea what it is.....a kind of whiskey or burbon or colored rum??? It doesn't say on the bottle anywhere exactly what it is but the bottle looks kind of fancy.

Thankfully liquor will last here since neither of us drink it. I got a whole bunch of various liquors from my parents bar when they moved. Some of that stuff I remember being in their bar cabinets since I was a kid. They weren't big drinkers either so I'm guessing they got a lot of their stuff as gifts as well.

The UV blue has pints and half gallons in plastic but fifths in glass. I think I might also have some half gallons in glass too. I wish they would just put it all in glass, but actually the plastic bottles are easier to have in the camper b/c we don't have to worry about them falling out of the cabinet and breaking. Choices are good.

It's funny you should mention the stuff you got in PR. We have a bottle of Barcelo' that we received as a gift. We have no idea what it is.....a kind of whiskey or burbon or colored rum??? It doesn't say on the bottle anywhere exactly what it is but the bottle looks kind of fancy.

Thankfully liquor will last here since neither of us drink it. I got a whole bunch of various liquors from my parents bar when they moved. Some of that stuff I remember being in their bar cabinets since I was a kid. They weren't big drinkers either so I'm guessing they got a lot of their stuff as gifts as well.

The UV blue has pints and half gallons in plastic but fifths in glass. I think I might also have some half gallons in glass too. I wish they would just put it all in glass, but actually the plastic bottles are easier to have in the camper b/c we don't have to worry about them falling out of the cabinet and breaking. Choices are good.
If you would be like me, even tasting or smelling it wouldn't help. Some people could identify it by smell and/or taste.

It's funny you should mention the stuff you got in PR. We have a bottle of Barcelo'

Does the bottle say Ron Dominicano? If it is Barcelo it is almost certainly Rum. Rum is also called Ron or Romo, and this brand is made in the Dominican Republic. I don't think they make anything else.

Morgan - you are correct....Barcelo, Ron Dominicano, Gran Anejo. Upon closer inspection the cap was not sealed down the neck, so I twisted it off and there is a plastic pourer (I belive) under the cap. I'm not a liquor drinker, but it does kind of smell like Captain Morgan (I think). So, my guess would have been a spiced rum.

Latest posts

Back