Who here is in Ham Radio?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to locate my grandmother's old callsign, but I could never find it. None of my aunt's could recall it.

Been away from the page for a while...maybe a couple of years. Almost went back to the other place. Funny that my first post back is here when I came looking for food info on the corona virus. Never stopped prepping. I got my tech ticket then general about a year latter. Still saving for a HF radio. I have added a couple of ht’s and another mobile that are not pictured, even helping with a local ham fest/emergency communications expo in may. I guess you can say when we finally took the plunge I fell right in. 73.
216E3E99-4BEF-4DEE-8B25-0024893F0D3E.jpeg
66CE36F3-4E62-4B44-8434-EA552BB048FA.jpeg

Been away from the page for a while...maybe a couple of years. Almost went back to the other place. Funny that my first post back is here when I came looking for food info on the corona virus. Never stopped prepping. I got my tech ticket then general about a year latter. Still saving for a HF radio. I have added a couple of ht’s and another mobile that are not pictured, even helping with a local ham fest/emergency communications expo in may. I guess you can say when we finally took the plunge I fell right in. 73.
View attachment 36108View attachment 36109

Welcome back! Nice setup you have!

Question. I have a VHF/UHF J-pole antenna mounted in my garage attic. You see any negatives of me moving the J-pole to the top of a 80 foot tower?

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 10.29.30 AM.png

I'm WB8RME, Started out as WN4NED, then WB4NED but when I moved to Michigan and got my Advanced class I received my 8 call. WB8RME. Then they made me choose one or the other. I liked RME better than NED, so kept the 8 call. I was married to W4VOL, Dad is W4ZWE and now one of my son-in-laws, daughter, and two grandsons have become hams in the last year or so. We are a Hamily. I still take Dad to hamfests. I am not currently active but have my hand held to try the repeater links, to see if I can get from AL to FL.

Here's the last home I lived in around Denver. That's a tower for the radio. I'd talk to then hubby from there via 40M when he would take mental breaks in Antiqua.

View attachment 4279

I saw this as I received alerts a couple of folks liked it.
Update: Dad died last March 21st after being in nursing home 10 month. Dementia/Alzheimer got him. With underlying stage 4 prostate cancer. After that I took steps to become W4ZWE to preserve it in the family. So that is now my call sign. And two more of my Grandkids are techs, and one of the earlier ones and son-in-law are now Generals. My oldest grandson is getting into antennas. And my 2nd oldest Granddaughter is one of the new family hams.

I am currently a Tech, licensed about 3 weeks ago. I just started my General class one week ago, that goes until the end of March, when hopefully I will pass the test and get my General license. I don't expect the test to be a problem, they're really kind of easy if you take the most minimum of time to read the ARRL textbook.

I like taking the classes here, because they are not just memorizing questions/answers, watching boring slide presentations, and listening to war stories - there is a lot of hands on learning. Last Saturday us students set up a 30 foot portable flagpole, hung some wires in an inverted V, and ran coax back to an ICOM 7300 in the meeting room we have class in. While we weren't able to learn how to fully operate the 7300, we learned enough for our assignments and to get a feel for the radio. That 7300 is one that the club will loan out to people to take home or on vacations to play with. We had some assignments to find what beacons we could, find and tune in some other QSO's and record callsigns and whatever info they broadcast (we were listening only), locate some of the NOAA WX broadcasts, ... things like that. We were using some laptop software to determine where best propagation was, other software to help find active QSO's, etc. I was quite amazed that with our thrown up antenna (which wasn't very pretty!), my lab group was able to pick up beacons from Australia, New Zealand and Japan, ... from Colorado. Very faint, and none of us students know Morse yet, so to identify the beacons they showed us how to use yet another software program to find out what beacon was broadcasting on what frequency at any given moment - so we could do a "look up" of who was sending the beacon signal we were hearing. It would be nice if we could have understood the Morse to identify the beacons ourselves, but learning that will come later. I really like these classes, because anyone can memorize questions and pass the test - then have a license with no knowledge/experience behind it. The classes take you beyond that. I think the tests are the easy part...

The club gave each of us students who passed the Tech exam (we all did) a free Baofeng UV-5R. Not a high end or expensive radio by any means, but at least something to encourage us and get us on the air. I have a friend who has loaned me one of his Yaesu FT-60R's, a bunch of handheld antennas, a J-Pole, some "log-log" (?) antenna he had and said I should try, coax, connectors, etc. so that I can set these things up at my house and get a feel for what they can do. This will keep me busy for a while until I learn more about what I'm doing. I don't want to knock the Baofeng, but the Yaesu clearly beats it in performance and convenience/ease of use. $150 vs $23 though - you're going to have some significant trade-offs at the Baofeng price point.

Eventually I plan to buy an HF rig, but that won't be until after I finish General and get some hands on with the clubs loaner 7300. They actually loan you a complete setup, not just the 7300. Also mounted inside the case with the 7300 is a Kenwood 2m/70cm mobile and a power supply for both radios. In a second box comes a large lithium battery, chargers, a solar panel, a laptop loaded with software, cables, portable antennas - the whole setup you need to begin playing around or do remote support for events. They call it a "Go Box", or something like that. They are building another one of them now. I like the concept so much that I may setup my home rig as a Go Box. The box opens front and back for airflow, and has a panel that brings all the connections from the radios (and power supply) out to an easy to reach location. The one thing that I didn't see in there (but could have just missed it) was a set of headphones with boom mic - I may suggest adding those. They only had the regular mics that come with the radios I think.

I don't plan to go on to Amateur Extra any time soon. General should get me plenty of frequency privileges to learn on. I have heard there are online groups that you can join, send in a copy of your license, and then remotely operate their transceivers over the internet. So you can do some learning and see if you like being a HAM operator before sinking a large amount of your cash into a home station. This sounds like a good idea, but I'll have to do some research to see if these groups are worthwhile, or a waste of money with a crappy environment. But sharing of equipment like this sounds like a reasonable idea at first glance.

I am KE0ZIY for now, and that assigned callsign is a real mouthful. My vanity callsign should be coming through in a few more days, and that one should roll off the tongue much better! I think it's odd that the FCC mandates that your first callsign be assigned by them. You can then apply to get a vanity callsign immediately after it's assigned. Seems like a waste of time and effort to me (a vanity callsign is free these days, so profit is not the motivation). Why not apply for your initial license and your vanity callsign at the same time? But that's not the way they do it. Government agency, why would I expect anything different?

Looks good, JAG. The UV-50x2 is a good performer. So is the SignalStick antenna on your Baofeng - those things are outstanding.

I'm on a budget for everything, and radio equipment isn't at the top of the spending priorities. The Xiegu G90 is comparatively inexpensive, has an amazing built-in auto-tuner, and puts out 20W which is far better than a conventional QRP rig. I've made many phone (SSB) contacts on 60m, 40m and 20m reaching out pretty far. Maybe it's something for you to consider.

Way back in the early 70's , I was WhiskeyBravoNinerVictorRomeoOscar.

I barely remember that I was using a Yaesu Radio , don't remember the model. :dunno:
But it was awesome.
I believe this was the radio I used..

Yaesu%20FT-101B.jpg

I had the 50ft tower and Moonbeams..
Haven't been involved in it for many years though.

Just curious if there are any operators here, and what equipment your using these days.

Jim

YEP
mid 70's i had a midland in my pickup
those were some wild times

Do you remember the 70's? 73--80 is kinda foggy

K04BZL. K 0tic for beezel. Bringing street to the electromagnetic waves. A little bump and grind on some ions. Putting the d in d layer daily. Ain't no thang but a baofeng.

I have to try and make it sound cool because I'm a lowly tech with a couple baofengs in a box with no HF. Take my general next month though so hopefully I can upgrade then.

Welcome back! Nice setup you have!

Question. I have a VHF/UHF J-pole antenna mounted in my garage attic. You see any negatives of me moving the J-pole to the top of a 80 foot tower?

View attachment 36116

while the higher the antenna the better is usually the case, I might hesitate on this one. I’m still new to this all but have learned a lot and will pass on my thoughts. A j-pole is a great duel band antenna, but they do not have any gain, they do not make the incoming signals any stronger. 80 feet in the air is great and will be able to pick up more and sent the signal that gets to it much farther than being in your attic, but at what cost? Signal strength is lost with every foot of cable run between the radio and the antenna, so here we have another 80 feet up the tower plus however much more is needed to get to your radio. With a good cable like LMR400, not a big deal. With a less expensive cable like rg8x or something similar, with my limited knowledge, I’m not sure the extra height would give any better performance. Thanks my thoughts anyway, I hope it helps. I’d be happy to help in any way I can.
jag.

I've always been interested in this, but can't really figure out how to go about learning more/getting started. Any recommendations?
Google "Amateur radio club <your_home_town>". If there is one found, check out their website. They may offer training courses. This is how I went about it. I just could not get into reading and studying for a test on my own. Not that I needed instruction (I do have a degree in Electrical Engineering!), but I wanted the face-to-face interaction and group learning experience. That worked out great for me. The camaraderie and hands-on learning sure beat reading a book. Although "reading a book" is probably the way most new hams get their license these days. The test is ridiculously easy, you will have zero problems passing it. But then you'll probably say, "What now?" That's where a club comes in. You'll have friendly people who turn you into a real world user rather than a book-learner who doesn't hardly know how to turn on their radio, much less transmit appropriately on it. I'm not knocking book-only learning, OK, well, I guess I am - but I much prefer learning with others. However, at this time, with the virus panic, in-person learning may be out of the question. And in some of the more rural areas of the country learning on your own may be the only way.

Hey CBL ya didn't call me and let me know ya had yer Tech............. I still need to hang my antenna.

Latest posts

Back