Who remembers these prices?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was young but I remember the green stamps and when they closed down.I went with my mother and grandmother to cash theirs in on one of the last days open.It was crazy,women pushing,grabbing and yelling.I was terrified,crying and my mother dragging me through it all by my arm and I peed my pants and got a spanking for it in the cold parking lot.Not a happy memory.

My Grampa would take me to the little country store for Crackers and Rag Balony for lunch...
OH.. but that Coca Cola ...

151987_main.jpg

8de6646be12b957a6776d0fc82e256e5--coke-machine-vending-machine.jpg

Yep,
Thats the one..

Jim

I drank many bottles of Coca-Cola at 5 cents each while working at my dads Chevrolet garage. This was when Coca-Cola contained real sugar. Got to assist with cleaning 1955,1956,1957 Chevys before they were put on the show room floor. They were hid from the general public until the day the manufacturer released them. Those were exciting times.

I even remember mom getting dishs and silverware from boxs of soap and flowered flour sacks to make us the girls dress,s and the boys shirts in those days they put everything in products to sell their wares
We got a lot of our dishes and bath linens in boxes of soap and oatmeal.

Most of our clothes were made from flour and feed stacks, even our underwear. My mother knew how many sacks it took to make a particular garment, and she would pick through the bags in the feed store matching up patterns.

Ford Galaxie $2,450 1962
View attachment 2053

Ford Galaxie 500 $2,881 1968
images

Ford Galaxie Convertible $2368 1966
View attachment 2054

Jim

My hubs had a 1966 Ford Galaxy 500 before we married. It was used and he doesn't remember how much it was. He totaled it then bought 1972 Cutlass Supreme straight from the show room floor for $4,075. We married in 1974. It was the prettiest car I had ever seen. Bamboo yellow,, leather seat and vinyl top.

I remember the green stamps! The cheapest gas I remember is $.69 and that was in 1999 in South Carolina.
Now I pay 1.249 a litre 3.79 litres to US gallon so $4.74 CAD a gallon, so about $3.85 USD ... now after converting all that I forgot what I wanted to say except gas is like everything else, outrageously expensive. Taxes probably make up about 40% of that price ( it varies by province and city)

Green Stamps and Blue Stamps. My job was to put them in their books when I was at my grandparents. During the gas wars I saw gas for 15¢/gallon. I remember Mom buying my pants too long so I could turn the cuff up and Ked's sneakers.

When I was a kid, my dad would give me 75 cents and send me to the deli to get 25 cents worth of american cheese and a regular sized bag of Wise potato chips.

I remember my Grandma getting a box of food from the county, as a widow ... It had the basic food in it ... salt, flour, etc. and a 5lb. block cheese. That cheese was gold... People would pay a high dollar for it. Not that we ever sold ours but a number of folks did. Your post just hit a remember button ... :D Thanks ...

My first car. It was used, because I bought it in 1978 and paid $600 for it. A 1960 Plymouth Belevedere. Army green. I could fit alot of friends in it.

Well if we're gonna remember first car prices I can do that. :)

It was 1975, the summer before my senior year of HS. I found a 1968 Mustang coupe with a blown engine and a couple dents in the quarter panel. Paid $50 for it. Went to the junk yard and got a 289cid with 45,000 miles on it. Paid $50 for that too. I also spent $30 for new ignition parts; plugs, wires, cap and rotor, plus oil and a filter. Had the car towed to VoTech when they stared classes in Sept. They had the new engine installed before the end of the month and it didn't cost me a dime for labor. I was driving to school in October. My mom totaled it the following April. :eek: :(

I still bring it up to her now and then. :)

Latest posts

Back