Who takes Statins?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we learn more and more about chronic ailments like High BP and Cholesterol/Triglycerides, the more research indicates that the biggest risk factors for those are genetic.

For many people with those genetic predispositions, lifestyle factors like weight, diet and exercise are at best, mildly relevant.

People should look at these ailments as a physiological malfunction (which is what they mostly are).
Sage advice!
My 2 dead brothers can tell you that if your genes suck, you are TOAST if you don't do something about it.
The people buying into the "you just have to eat healthy and exercise and you will be fine;)" mantra just die with pretty bodies.
On topic: I had a friend who was skinny as a rail and fought nonstop with sky-high cholesterol. Not diet. Not overweight. Not lack of exercise, genetic.

Last edited:
I take 20 mg atavorstatin. Never noticed any side effects. I don't like taking meds so I was bound and determine to get off of it but I already eat healthy and get plenty of exercise. Doctor said to not worry about it and to be grateful that I have a condition that is so easy to control. I trust her.
My brother has high stress and doesn't take care of himself and his blood pressure is normal.

After my recent scare concerning my heart, I saw another cardiologist. My cholesterol is 191, so not too bad, but the ratio is off. Bad cholesterol is a little high. The heart doc wants me to go on Statins. But I keep hearing how they make your life miserable with aches and pains. Can y'all tell me your experience with them before I start taking them?

I started taking 40mg after my heart attack. then bumped up to 80. now back to 40. I still get cramps. they suck. but it keeps me alive I guess...

I guess my issue with high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol must not have been genetic because a change in diet and exercise did change all of these maladies to the point where I do not have to take the 5 medications that my doctor had me on for over a decade. Medication free feels great!

I take Atorvastatin as well, but only 10mg daily. My cholesterol and blood pressure numbers have always been very good. I guess it is the bad cholesterol (LDL?) that is a concern. I have had no side effects at all. I could never tell the difference between when I took it, and when I didn't.

Don't take aany meds except duiretic for BP baby aspirin for stents they put in, but thats just me not saying it is good or bad. Blood work was great last time I checked it a couple years ago.

I talked to my cardiologist. He gave me the lower dose. He also said I could take coq 10 for body aches. Now why don't they tell you that when they prescribe stuff? My wife asked her Dr. That question, he said it's really not our place. But telling us to take a drug, exercise and eat right is ok. 🐄 💩

I will let you know how it went in about a month.

After my recent scare concerning my heart, I saw another cardiologist. My cholesterol is 191, so not too bad, but the ratio is off. Bad cholesterol is a little high. The heart doc wants me to go on Statins. But I keep hearing how they make your life miserable with aches and pains. Can y'all tell me your experience with them before I start taking them?
They are also linked to Alzheimer's and dementia. They wanted to put my dad on them and we said No. At a follow up, one of the drs. (practitioner actually) called in a prescription for them even after he said no to her too. They get a kick-back for prescribing them. He had more nurses say they wouldn't take them. Also, cholesterol isn't a proven cause of heart problems. I could go on and on, but won't. I wouldn't take them (my choice, you get to make yours.) Hope you are doing well since then.

They are also linked to Alzheimer's and dementia. They wanted to put my dad on them and we said No. At a follow up, one of the drs. (practitioner actually) called in a prescription for them even after he said no to her too. They get a kick-back for prescribing them. He had more nurses say they wouldn't take them. Also, cholesterol isn't a proven cause of heart problems. I could go on and on, but won't. I wouldn't take them (my choice, you get to make yours.) Hope you are doing well since then.
I'm good, my heart is A-OK. The scan was negative for blockage of any kind. In fact it said that 0 percent of scans of people my age have less blockage than me.

My problem with Statins is that they have been proved to help those who have already had a heart attack, but not proven to prevent heart attacks in those who haven't had one yet. So, why do I want to take one?

Ineresing film about statins and mortality rates, I have been to one of the greatr reserach centers to see their studies on this and still haven't watched more than 17 minutes so far of the video.

Harvard Uni.Dr.John Abraham said " dying with ' corrected colesterol ' is not a successful outcome."

Not here to argue or cause harm but just to give another opinion on the subject. I know there are already plenty. Just not on this tread.

Harvard Uni.Dr.John Abraham said " dying with ' corrected colesterol ' is not a successful outcome."

Not here to argue or cause harm but just to give another opinion on the subject. I know there are already plenty. Just not on this tread.

My cholesterol is deemed high. I have no intention of taking any statins as there are far too many side effects. It might be good for some but in all the research I have done I have yet to see a positive side. For me, I will control with diet or exercise and will live with the result. I think numbers differ. There might be a classification but not all are created equal. What might be considered high for one might be low for another. I've not seen any supporting data on that yet.

Cholesterol is a highly controversial topic unless you only tune in to one side of it; then it appears to be clear. In fact it is not. May I suggest that anyone interested in the topic google "the elderly and high cholesterol" or something similar. There is an inverse correlation between high cholesterol and mortality in the elderly. (that means those with the highest cholesterol live the longest. And endpoint of heart attacks is not as important as all cause mortality (dying of anything) so a lot of drug research is deceptive.

Latest posts

Back