Why Did You Join this Forum?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i came here because people I trust told me this was a better forum than the other forums that have lost focus or that were dying.

Turns out the advice was right. Now you all have to put up with my poor grammar and spelling.

A place where you can talk about guns without being instantly vilified as a maniacal murderer.
Very few sites remain as the PTB continue to buy them up daily, and turn them into a wasteland that nobody will go to :(.

I took a roundabout way. I met @phideaux and @havasu on another firearms forum that was destroyed by an ownership change. I followed them, and a whole host of others, to TalkFirearms, which most of you will remember as the sister forum to this one. TF had some issues as well, which led me to join here. And I found that HCL is a very well rounded site, with a lot of diverse topics I can relate to. There are still a bunch of us on HCL that originally came over from that Ruger forum back in 2017, and I'm really glad we're all still here...

I followed a site about prepping for about 10 years, wrote a few articles and posted a lot. The site became unreliable and @Amish Heart suggested this one. I like the mix of topics and most of the folks here. Nice place to visit where you read, discuss, vent, and talk about almost anything without being hit with a ton of brick.

I followed a site about prepping for about 10 years, wrote a few articles and posted a lot. The site became unreliable and @Amish Heart suggested this one. I like the mix of topics and most of the folks here. Nice place to visit where you read, discuss, vent, and talk about almost anything without being hit with a ton of brick.
I shut off lights when i left that forum that @UrbanHunter mentioned. He suggested I check this forum out. I like the members here.

Ben

This site was recommended to me by another member I trust. I have not been disappointed. I like to discuss preparedness, and to discuss with like minded people. I am always looking for things I may have missed, and ways to do things better.

Most importantly I like the way the members here treat each other with respect. We can agree to disagree at times without berating each other or name calling.

I joined PS, after finding it in a search & like the people on the form.
One day I signed on & got a PM to move to homesteading & been here till today.
I like the friendly & knowledgeable people here.
I visit other sites & get some good advise, but not like this site & the people are just better here.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't remember how I heard of this place, but once I saw @Peanut 's plant-based posts (and the wonderful photos that go along with them), I was HOOKED. Good old-fashioned country wisdom combined with solid science is a rare thing indeed.

Then I looked around a bit more and discovered a group of really nice folks. This is one of my favorite places to be!

Last edited:
Observation to consider...

Seems like many of the members found it by word of mouth.

The other forum I worked advertised to get members.

It may be a prudent idea to carefully chose who is invited in to keep the ambiance.

Ben

I followed people here during the PS purge.
I wasn't going to be a part of nonsense that the new owners were foisting upon the membership.

Why I am here......trying to find a comfortable, wholesome home-site were people thought and felt the way I did.
A way to fill in the knowledge gaps I had.
Essentially this is a on-line village with it's fair share of idiots.

I think I'm the only "foreigner" left.
Block function helps a lot.

A friend belonged to another homesteading forum about 8 years ago. She said it was sometimes horrible how mean people could be. She vowed to never join another forum again. It came up in conversation recently so I thought I'd check it out. This forum also came up on the search so I checked it out. Seemed like this forum was "homey". I have enjoyed it so much😁!

Observation to consider...

Seems like many of the members found it by word of mouth.

The other forum I worked advertised to get members.

It may be a prudent idea to carefully chose who is invited in to keep the ambiance.

Ben
We worked together to invite people over. We had a group PM where we discussed who to invite and we kept at it. Some people were invited more than once and never made the transition. Some people were never invited. It wasn't discussed about who not to invite, it was more about people we remembered or knew we wanted to be here. There was at least one person who responded so negatively to other people's comments, that I knew I wasn't inviting that person, and it appears that no one else did either. Some of us were banned from PS as a result of inviting others through PM's. The people who only read or rarely respond surely got lost in the transition. It is like anything, you have to participate in order to be known and be someone who is not annoying to others.

A friend belonged to another homesteading forum about 8 years ago. She said it was sometimes horrible how mean people could be. She vowed to never join another forum again. It came up in conversation recently so I thought I'd check it out. This forum also came up on the search so I checked it out. Seemed like this forum was "homey". I have enjoyed it so much😁!
I belong to another forum that has gone through some changes in the last year. I have never been very active there, having joined in 2008 or so. It seemed to me that frequently when I posted there, someone would smack me down, respond to my comments in a very negative way. There are so many know-it-alls, and controlling types, it just shuts some people down and limits the people who are willing to participate. There are ways to share a difference of opinion without being hateful, imho.

What is PS? A lot of people mentioned that as their prior forum.

I followed Phideaux. Originally from KTOG (Keltec Owners Group), then to TF (TalkFirearms), then to here. KTOG was originally a great forum - much like here. Then management changes kind of nuked it (it has rebounded a little bit, but is a hollow shell of it's former self). TF was never a fit for me, I always felt like an outsider and there was never a big draw to that forum for me. I was initially hesitant to come here, because I don't have a homestead, don't live out in the country, and was afraid I didn't have anything to offer. Well, that turned out to be true ... I still have nothing to offer. An occasional joke maybe, but other than that ... nada. I'm useless. I do like the people here very much though. Even the ones I get into minor arguments with. That's what makes a forum great for me - the people. It seems like around here we can start talking about almost anything, and just have fun doing that.

I followed Phideaux. Originally from KTOG (Keltec Owners Group), then to TF (TalkFirearms), then to here. KTOG was originally a great forum - much like here. Then management changes kind of nuked it (it has rebounded a little bit, but is a hollow shell of it's former self). TF was never a fit for me, I always felt like an outsider and there was never a big draw to that forum for me. I was initially hesitant to come here, because I don't have a homestead, don't live out in the country, and was afraid I didn't have anything to offer. Well, that turned out to be true ... I still have nothing to offer. An occasional joke maybe, but other than that ... nada. I'm useless. I do like the people here very much though. Even the ones I get into minor arguments with. That's what makes a forum great for me - the people. It seems like around here we can start talking about almost anything, and just have fun doing that.
I still drop by KTOG every now and then and look in.
5 whole new posts today! :woo hoo:
Of course, 3 of them say: "Check out the pictures of this new thing I bought, and thank you for giving me a free place to host my pictures on the web! :thumbs: "
You are right, today it is a sad, hollow shell of it's former self. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back