Why Did You Join this Forum?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! I think it is easier to define some ranches as such and some farms as such. There were many ranches around my grandparents place, and it seemed like a ranch to me.

My friends call my place a compound. Most around here call anything under 100 acres a ranchette.

I have a "hobby garden", nowhere near big enough to be a hobby farm. It's amazing what you can do in a small space.

I know everything takes a lot longer than I think it will. I'm 3 years into my 5 year plan. It's been 30 years :p

I suspect that the actually day-in and day-out of the homesteading lifestyle is of little interest to most. The simple truth is it is "just work". Most is not interesting or exciting, it is just physical chores/labor of living on a farm or ranch.........we just prefer to "call-it" homesteading lifestyle, because that is much more "romantic".

I have never understood why people shy away from calling themselves "small" farmers or small ranchers, or living rural with a substantial garden. I guess being a homesteader is romantic and enviable.
Calling oneself a farmer or rancher communicates the assumption to many that your life is spent living and sleeping knee deep in stinky animal manure, while doing manual labor that requires little intelligence.

Being a homesteader implies a "freedom" and a fun-exciting adventure in self-sufficiency.

Good discussion. I’m not really sure what to call myself. The homestead acts have long ago ended, but I’m living on a an old homestead. Other than the moose that are constantly on my property, I don’t raise livestock, so I’m not a rancher. I’m more of a gardener than a farmer. If I had the time and better suited properly i would probably be a farmer. I guess I’m just a survivalist with his hobbies living in an old cabin in the mountains. Actually, that’s all I’ve ever hoped for.

Yes, we have knowledge that can help the homesteading/survival at heart people that are stuck in the city. Even apartments. As we use to say on a forum, Homesteading is a state of mind, even if you don't have the land etc.

If you can learn to do anything for yourself, it helps. Knitting socks, crocheting blankets, dehydrating summer veggies from a farmers market.
And I think some of the single parents with children need the most of this knowledge.

Heck, even a tomato plant or two in a garden barrel on a patio is a step in the right direction.
And that would me for the most part.
Except I don't know how to knit socks.
But am teaching my grand daughters how to garden,(whiskey barrels, raised beds, strawberries in a coal bucket) so they will have food.And the oldest one has her own yarn basket and crochet hook, H I think. The youngest one tries to eat the yarn, makes tangles and has great old time with her little yarn basket of 3 very small balls of yarn. By the way it takes me about 2 hours to untangle her yarn. Teaching the grand daughters how to cook simple things.
And both girls will have at least one of my toy working sewing machines when their ready.
Lord have mercy if all those carrot seeds come up in that whiskey barrel.

I have a ranch. I have cows. My husband sold his cows and he has more land than I do but his property is a ranch. He only has wildlife on his property. I do have a small garden and sometimes we plant a cover crop for cattle and deer in winter.
I have a ranch because no self respecting Cowboy would get caught dead owning a farm!
Same reason why I call my chickens "a herd"! :)

Back to the OP topic...

Okay, after all of this talk about farms, versus ranches, do you know the difference between cowboy boots and western boots?
I would guess what we called riding boots are what you (and probably others) call cowboy boots. We didn't call any boots "cowboy" boots. Slightly taller and slanted heel so if your foot slips in the stirrup it doesn't go through. I will be curious as to what the real answer is.

Regarding cowboy versus western boots; this came from my uncle who with the exception for a stint in the Navy, lived his whole life on ranches/farms. Cowboy boots have the manure on the outside, while western boots have manure on the inside. Manure is not the word he used. In other words, someone who wears western boots is pretentious, according to Uncle.

Regarding cowboy versus western boots; this came from my uncle who with the exception for a stint in the Navy, lived his whole life on ranches/farms. Cowboy boots have the manure on the outside, while western boots have manure on the inside. Manure is not the word he used. In other words, someone who wears western boots is pretentious, according to Uncle.
hahaha - I have to tell my dad that one. Will let you know if he answers correctly.

This is similar to my knowledge - western boots are for "show", cowboy boots are for "go". Cowboy boots don't have lizard or snake skin on them, no jewelry, no chains, and no funny colors...

Regarding toe shape, that changes with fashion. 30 years ago the really pointy toes were for the city kids. I always liked the semi pointed toe best but a lot of people wore the round Roper toe boots. Nowadays everything seems to be square toed and I gotta confess, I don't really like it. The styles will change eventually though and then my 30 year old boots will be back in style...😁

Semi-pointed toe and a riding heel for riding and dancing. If you are going to be slogging out the pig pen or the barn you have a split hide rough finish boot with round toes and low heels.

Those pointy toed boots are for the folks with roach problems. The sharp point will get 'em in the corners. ;)

Now that we have this and that boot type straight. I personally prefer 10" wellingtons. Comfortable and waterproof. I don't do tie shoes or boots and haven't since I got my first pair of wellingtons. Speaking of which I really need to order a new pair these are well past done!

Vasque hiking boots is the way to go. Dancers would be a distant second.
Danner?

Dancer shoes might not be so good for work...😁

I know Vasque is a respected name, but I've gone to North Face shoes. Ive got the GTX 110 now and they're some of the toughest light hikers I've ever seen. 100% would buy again.

For boots, Red Wing for work and Justin for play...😉

Danner?

Dancer shoes might not be so good for work...😁

I know Vasque is a respected name, but I've gone to North Face shoes. Ive got the GTX 110 now and they're some of the toughest light hikers I've ever seen. 100% would buy again.

For boots, Red Wing for work and Justin for play...😉
Yes Danvers. Spell check bites me again.

I sure aint no dancer.

I've got one pair of Vasquez that I've had 20+ years and no tellin how many miles on them. 2nd pair 10+, lots of miles too. Other than being scuffed up. They are as good as new.
I've got a nearly new pair of Danner Ft. Lewis boots. Really nice boots, I just rarely need tall boot. I prefer just above ankle.

I suspect that the actually day-in and day-out of the homesteading lifestyle is of little interest to most. The simple truth is it is "just work". Most is not interesting or exciting, it is just physical chores/labor of living on a farm or ranch.........we just prefer to "call-it" homesteading lifestyle, because that is much more "romantic".

I have never understood why people shy away from calling themselves "small" farmers or small ranchers, or living rural with a substantial garden. I guess being a homesteader is romantic and enviable.
Calling oneself a farmer or rancher communicates the assumption to many that your life is spent living and sleeping knee deep in stinky animal manure, while doing manual labor that requires little intelligence.

Being a homesteader implies a "freedom" and a fun-exciting adventure in self-sufficiency.

I don't have any problem calling myself a farmer and "small" is relative. We would be considered a mid size farm in India, or someplace like that.
I joined by accident, was a member of another homesteading forum, couldn't find it anymore, found this one. Still a member of the survivalist forum but there is way too much arguing going on there. I think I like this place better. What I would really like to find is a place for small farmers, where you can discuss actual farming stuff. And I think it's wrong to assume that it takes no intelligence to run a farm. We had to learn a ton of stuff to be able to successfully raise goats for example and do well with it.

I don't have any problem calling myself a farmer and "small" is relative. We would be considered a mid size farm in India, or someplace like that.
I joined by accident, was a member of another homesteading forum, couldn't find it anymore, found this one. Still a member of the survivalist forum but there is way too much arguing going on there. I think I like this place better. What I would really like to find is a place for small farmers, where you can discuss actual farming stuff. And I think it's wrong to assume that it takes no intelligence to run a farm. We had to learn a ton of stuff to be able to successfully raise goats for example and do well with it.
Why not start a farming thread on here to share ideas, problems what's worked etc...

I guess you would have to define "small". In my area, 600 acres of actual crops is now small. 1000 acres isn't that big. 80 acres is a hobby.

Surely there are forums dedicated to alternative crops and livestock, like a "small" farmer would have to grow. I've never checked those subjects out to know what info is out there...

Start some threads. I'd love to learn from them

Me? How'd I get here? ...It's all Aerindels' fault, I tell ya! 😬 Seriously, got the 'invite', and Very Thankful to have-so..

..The 'other' forum (though I still reside / post skak there, now/then..) had Really degraded into mostly 'political polarization' (which, I'll admit, got / get sucked into, m'self here/there 😵 and dissection of the latest "news", and very little practical info / posts about Actual survival tips / Experience-shares, etc being posted any more..

..and the Ones that 'dare' to bring up some 'new idea' / share some prepper-wisdom, well.. They have to endure 5 pages of "armchair QBs / experts" telling them / everyone How / Why thier idea won't / can't Work / is dumb / 'you don't know whatcher talkin bout' / here's why My idea / method is "Right" / better, etc, etc.. :rolleyes:

..Here - there are Far more Adults - who can agree to disagree / respectfully share 'counter points' / thoughts / own-Experiences, in-contrast - withOut it turning into the constant parochial *coff*-measuring contests that plague the Other place. And - no doubt - that place is Also hopelessly infected with .gov spies / trolls / baiter-acct's, etc.. In fact, I'd bet there's even at least One 'Alphabet Agency Mod' over there.. FBI and/or ATF, at least..

Anyhoo, I'm just glad to be part of a Real place to Learn / share, and hope - as We grow / develop our Own Homestead plans (and they're making Very Good Progress, recently woo-hoo! :cool: - that I/we can 'pay it forward', with shares / posts that may actually Help others.. Even though we're "Californians" (But hey - like the old ad campaign reminds - 'You could learn a Lot from a Dummy'.. 😬

jd

Last edited:
Ditto... Joined in 2013, all of 7 posts.

Actually only popped back in for data and ideas on my new (to me) P-17.
I 'liked' your Memorial-Day post there.
You won't recognize me though.
I have to be a ruggedly-handsome gay guy there :rolleyes:.
They are so PC against discrimination of gays, you basically become "bulletproof":p.
(and DO NOT do a Google people-search of my handle there!:oops:)
It's the longest running inside-joke, and they still have no clue.:LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back