Why I Left Homesteadingtoday.com & You Should

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest, I don't really care what the Carbon Media Groups sponsors, they are just not a nice company. I have been on way too many of the websites they have taken over, and it's NEVER good. "Be A Supporting Member" gets you nothing but you get to PAY for their web servers, etc. Ads, clicks, all are money in their pockets. I will happily support real independent websites, but I will NOT subsidize a company whos aim is to make money. 500+ websites that they own, they dont care about an individual or a website, as long as it makes money for them.

At one time, it was a great forum....then they started to use threads people wrote and changed names and used it for their own purposes.....I remember the fun we had in arranging a baby shower for a sweet young girl who was down on her luck...what fun we had sharing baby gifts....I looked back once, only to be disappointed in it, never went back again, just moved on....was so happy to see this link today.....

At one time, it was a great forum....then they started to use threads people wrote and changed names and used it for their own purposes.....I remember the fun we had in arranging a baby shower for a sweet young girl who was down on her luck...what fun we had sharing baby gifts....I looked back once, only to be disappointed in it, never went back again, just moved on....was so happy to see this link today.....
I am wondering if you have the same user name, or do you have a new user name? Maybe you are referring to a different forum than PS?

I have seen this kind of stuff happen more than once in my life, where something was working very well, and someone decided to change it up, only to do it in.

Our old hangout is slowly going down. So glad we could move on and develop this place. If anyone knows someone they want to invite over, or has posts from the former place, visiting there to clean house may be a good idea. I don't expect that it will last much longer.

I am wondering if you have the same user name, or do you have a new user name? Maybe you are referring to a different forum than PS?

I believe @GrannyG is referring to HT (Homesteading Today). That's where it all started. Talk of the incident found it's way over to PS but I'm not aware of any posts that were stolen from there.

Our old hangout is slowly going down

I stop in once a day just to see what kind of activity there is. There have been several 3-4 year old threads resurrected by a couple of the new ghost members. There is very little real member activity.

[/QUOTE] UncleJoe : I stop in once a day just to see what kind of activity there is. There have been several 3-4 year old threads resurrected by a couple of the new ghost members. There is very little real member activity.[/QUOTE]

I keep checking in and always find more robots than members and it does not matter what time of day or night (my day and nights - LOL). Like that old movie "Dead Man Walking" that forum is just not going to make it.

Homesteading Today has had it's fair share of owners, I've lost count.

The current ones are the worse. Carbon Media Group.

The quantity of ads on the websites are at an all time high.

The quanity of Administrators they have gone through is staggering &now they fired the last one they had for years &all of sudden deleted threads.

I got a private message that put it over the top though. Carbon Media's hope I guess is to use the communnity to watch their TV shows & the biggest one is Niggas on The River.

https://www.carbontv.com/shows/nodr/?component=drop-down-menu

On their website they use the name NODR. where N is Nigga.

Pass on that. suggest others do as well & if you know anyone that uses Homesteading Today, let them know about Nigga's On the River & how their activity at HomesteadingToday.com is funding that. Give those guys a show or find another ethnic group to be diverse, it's racist the show you want to promote you have to include the word Nigga in even if the TV show presenters call themselves that.

I don’t doubt the veracity of what you say, nor do I disagree with your conclusion/ solution ... I do have a hard time with anyone telling me what I “should” do. Perhaps it is the rebellious streak in me. I’m not on any of their sites ( not since leaving PS) but the “s” word raises my hackles a touch.

You old rebel!! Ha, join the crowd. That's why I did my 4 years in the Navy and I quote, "USN,
NEVER AGAIN.
I told the recruiter that the Navy was right, I was right, but together we're wrong!

Signed off of HT back in early December and hadn't been back until recently. Got tired of the constant bickering and a few who were "right" all of the time. It gets old.

Anyway, wouldn't have gotten the invitation from Angie to come visit here if I hadn't signed back on. Thanks, Angie! Looking forward to a more friendly place!

We have a few of the HT crowd here, but not a lot. We would LOVE to have more of the nice members. Keep looking, as we are drawing from the old Prepared Society forum , the old and retired Homestead.org and some HT, and anyone I can get that looks interesting from Facebook.
Great team of mods/admins. We all have a bit of a different view of things but ALL of us are bound and determined to have a nice place and help it grow with good people who are interested in Homesteading, Country Life, being Prepared (what I call living like our grand parents so world situations will not have big impact) or just people who are so darn tired of nastiness shown in many places elsewhere.

So, pull up a stump or forum and be at home. Be comfortable.

What Angie said and then some.

I'm not a name you would recognize, just another that was alerted to some pretty negative changes. I had been with my old forum since the beginning but when Austin and Havasu were so unceremoniously dumped after years of dedication that left me with a pretty sour taste in my mouth. Havasu was kind enough to bring me along with him and I am glad he did.

Stopped into HT a little while ago.
147 robots,35 members, 345 guests.
For some reason all of sudden forums I had been on a while have padlocks on them.
I don't have enough to comment on forums I had been on for a year or more.
I don't do dark rooms, never been warned,nor banned from any forum.
Don't know about the padlocks.

I am in contact with Austin fairly regularly. We text each other and he is doing okay. He is very well liked by so many people as he is a great guy. And he was an exceptionally good Admin. I was an admin with him over on another forum. I’m still there but, of course, Austin is gone.

Count me as another former HT member. I think I posted as Chilehead58, but mainly posted in the poultry and goat forums. It's probably been a year since I last logged in there anyway, and probably won't anymore.
Welcome from Alaska.

Latest posts

Back